ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt declines invite to the NIT

cyrizzle

Jan 10, 2010
Like they actually deserved a shot at the NCAA tournament lolol. Who did they beat of notoriety this season? Our best win vs Illinois was better than their best win.

Reactions: JoeParulz
Like they actually deserved a shot at the NCAA tournament lolol. Who did they beat of notoriety this season? Our best win vs Illinois was better than their best win.
They did beat Duke at Duke, NC State twice and UVA at UVA. They probably should've made the Tournament, definitely over UVA and probably over MSU, as well as several other teams.

The Tournament now has become the MSU Invitational; there's no rule that says that they have to make it every season, and they really didn't deserve it this season. UVA was awful for the last third of the season.

In this case I don't blame Pitt for passing on the NIT. The NIT TOURNEY is rinky-dink. What does going to the NIT prove? Isn't it a battle to see who is Number 65?

Even when we went to the NIT, it meant nothing. Losers playing losers.

In this case I don't blame Pitt for passing on the NIT. The NIT TOURNEY is rinky-dink. What does going to the NIT prove? Isn't it a battle to see who is Number 65?

I think it is good for the team and program. yeah, you'd rather be in the NCAA but who doesn't want to play more and get better? I don't ever see a time when playing less is better.

When teams didn't routinely decline the NIT, probably a third of the NCAA field weren't as good as most of the NIT teams, so I wouldn't call it losers playing losers. If teams like Pitt and Indiana had accepted the NIT bids, are you telling m that they're not better than a lot of teams that made the NCAA?

All teams should decline the NIT. Didn't our women decline as well?
No...the Lady Lions got a #1 seed in the WBIT -- a brand-new event in 2024, which is owned by the NCAA just as they own the men's NIT. The WBIT serves as the number two tournament after the NCAA Tournament.

The WNIT is considered the smaller event now and isn't owned by the NCAA. It's like what that dumb CBI was for men's basketball.

Reactions: cyrizzle
I think the biggest snub was Indiana St, and they chose to play in the NIT. Also, saying the NIT means “nothing” or teams should decline to play in it is completely false, and I disagree with it. Ask Shep Garner if winning the NIT 6 years ago meant “nothing” to him. Now, I do agree that the CBI and all the tournaments below the NIT are a joke and they shouldn’t even exist.

Reactions: scrivener
No...the Lady Lions got a #1 seed in the WBIT -- a brand-new event in 2024, which is owned by the NCAA just as they own the men's NIT. The WBIT serves as the number two tournament after the NCAA Tournament.

The WNIT is considered the smaller event now and isn't owned by the NCAA. It's like what that dumb CBI was for men's basketball.
Perfect thanks!

Reactions: scrivener
The NIT is suffering a slow, painful death. I’ll be surprised if it lasts five more years.
I can understand both sides of the decision on an NIT invitation. It’s a long ass season, physically and mentally draining. After playing all season with an NCAA berth as the goal and just missing out, it could be very difficult to ramp it back up for the equivalent of several lower tier bowl games.
Indiana State, on the other hand, went on an unexpected run and had a great season. Maybe those guys just want to keep it rolling for a little while longer.

I think the NIT started losing its appeal when it stopped taking the power conference teams in the name of mid majors that missed the NCAA's due to being a one bid conference etc. It is one thing to take all champs to the NCAA but it is a stretch to take some teams due to some of the schedule metrics that are used.

I think the only teams that are accepting NIT bids are the really young teams that are looking forward to next year provided they don't lose too many to the transfer portal. It gives them more - valuable playing time. I'll be surprised if the NIT last another 5 years or so

The NIT is suffering a slow, painful death. I’ll be surprised if it lasts five more years.
I can understand both sides of the decision on an NIT invitation. It’s a long ass season, physically and mentally draining. After playing all season with an NCAA berth as the goal and just missing out, it could be very difficult to ramp it back up for the equivalent of several lower tier bowl games.
Indiana State, on the other hand, went on an unexpected run and had a great season. Maybe those guys just want to keep it rolling for a little while longer.
Yep, decades ago was shorter season and less games. Fewer mid week games. Less travel as conferences were more geographically regional. Seems the demand and stress on players is double now, if not more.

Add in the pressures of the portal as kids are already looking at options. A lot don’t want an extended season.

In all seriousness, I think PSU will be just fine with Rhoades. Has had impressive turnarounds everywhere he’s coached. It’s tough have a head coach poached in the age of the portal/NIL because there’s so much roster turnover.
I attended both of PSU's NIT championship games, and Madison Square Garden was packed and rocking. Students were bused in. The games were well played and exciting. I wish we were in it this year.

I attended both of PSU's NIT championship games, and Madison Square Garden was packed and rocking. Students were bused in. The games were well played and exciting. I wish we were in it this year.
Absolutely. I feel like they ruined the NIT recently by:

1. Moving it away from The Garden
2. Not awarding auto-bids to regular season champions (which benefitted the one-bid leagues). I think this is the biggest one because there were always tons of legitimately good teams who almost made it to March Madness. That, combined with the “First Four Out” and “Next Four Out” teams, made for some great matchups.

Oh, that's so clever. You probably didn't know that there are 36 D1 Conference Championships which leaves exactly 32 at-large teams. That is less than 1 per conference.

As did I, those games were fun, except for the bus ride back to Penn State in the middle of the night.

I can’t stand when teams do this, they say they were disrespected for not getting into the regular tournament but really they all had at least one loss on their record that they shouldn’t have.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Absolutely. I feel like they ruined the NIT recently by:

1. Moving it away from The Garden
2. Not awarding auto-bids to regular season champions (which benefitted the one-bid leagues). I think this is the biggest one because there were always tons of legitimately good teams who almost made it to March Madness. That, combined with the “First Four Out” and “Next Four Out” teams, made for some great matchups.
And the biggest reason of all… opened the transfer portal on the eve of the tournament starting

I think the only teams that are accepting NIT bids are the really young teams that are looking forward to next year provided they don't lose too many to the transfer portal. It gives them more - valuable playing time. I'll be surprised if the NIT last another 5 years or so

It also used to be that at least you could get to Madison Square Garden and finish in NYC. Now they’ve moved the NIT semifinals and final to Hinkle Fieldhouse instead.

Sorry kids, you’re no longer fighting to play at MSG in NY. Now you can go to exciting Indianapolis instead! 😳

It also used to be that at least you could get to Madison Square Garden and finish in NYC. Now they’ve moved the NIT semifinals and final to Hinkle Fieldhouse instead.

Sorry kids, you’re no longer fighting to play at MSG in NY. Now you can go to exciting Indianapolis instead! 😳
Hinkle Fieldhouse? I didn't realize that they moved it. Sounds like a decision made by Mark Emmert. Only an idiot would move it from MSG.

Reactions: psu00 and bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT