ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fires AD Heather Lyke

Well IMO and for what it's worth most college sports should be intermural. Most college sports have become welfare recipients it's a sad state of affairs.
I'm more inclined to think the opposite. Intercollegiate athletics began when professional team sports weren't that popular and weren't that attractive as career options. In terms of popularity, baseball was the team sports exception until the late 50's. The impact on college baseball was limited because MLB organizations strongly pushed players into the minor league systems. College baseball was not well regarded as a MLB preparation route until well into the 70s and 80s. College sports existed because it was seen as good for the community, a good way to motivate alumni donors, and not inconsistent with the school's educational purpose. A lot changed in the last 60 years that has created an environment where major sports have nothing to do with the school, apart from the brand and the focus is entirely on revenue. Frankly, I think it's sad that the only thing we value about a college sports team is its ability to make money and disregard the fact that many of the non-revenue sports function in a way more consistent with the school mission than the "important" sports. No, I have no illusions about the future of college sports; most of them are as good as dead as are many P4 football programs as we know them. I'm just not sure that the core belief that a sport or program is only good if it makes money is the best view for educational institutions.

Last edited:
I'm more inclined to think the opposite. Intercollegiate athletics began when professional team sports weren't that popular and weren't that attractive as career options. Baseball was the exception until the late 50's, MLB organizations strongly pushed players into the minor league system, and college baseball was not well regarded as a MLB preparation route until well into the 70s and 80s. College sports existed because it was seen as good for the community, a good way to motivate alumni donors, and not inconsistent with the school's educational purpose. A lot changed in the last 60 years that has created an environment where major sports have nothing to do with the school apart from the brand and the focus is entirely on revenue. Frankly, I think it's sad that the only thing we value about a college sports team is its ability to make money and disregard the fact that many of the non-revenue sports function in a way more consistent with the school mission than the "important" sports. No, I have no illusions about the future of college sports; most of them are as good as dead as are many P4 football programs as we know them. I'm just not sure that the core belief that a sport or program is only good if it makes money is the best view for educational institutions.

Agreed. It would be a similar argument about cutting music or theater extracurriculars because they don't "make money". It's perfectly okay to have elements at a university that don't generate revenue themselves but contribute to the overall character of the school.

I'm more inclined to think the opposite. Intercollegiate athletics began when professional team sports weren't that popular and weren't that attractive as career options. In terms of popularity, baseball was the team sports exception until the late 50's. The impact on college baseball was limited because MLB organizations strongly pushed players into the minor league systems. College baseball was not well regarded as a MLB preparation route until well into the 70s and 80s. College sports existed because it was seen as good for the community, a good way to motivate alumni donors, and not inconsistent with the school's educational purpose. A lot changed in the last 60 years that has created an environment where major sports have nothing to do with the school, apart from the brand and the focus is entirely on revenue. Frankly, I think it's sad that the only thing we value about a college sports team is its ability to make money and disregard the fact that many of the non-revenue sports function in a way more consistent with the school mission than the "important" sports. No, I have no illusions about the future of college sports; most of them are as good as dead as are many P4 football programs as we know them. I'm just not sure that the core belief that a sport or program is only good if it makes money is the best view for educational institutions.
Not an insult to you or anyone who thinks about this the way you do but I simply don't care about what was at one time intermural sports and should still be today.

Maybe it’s in season for him and he has limited time?
I had given that thought consideration as I was posting.

The intimate relationship between the AD, the football program/Narduzzi and NIL.

I would think that you would want those 3 to be in sync to devise and implement a plan moving forward.

I wonder what the frequency and duration are of these committee meetings.

Reactions: bison13 and PSUfiji
I had given that thought consideration as I was posting.

The intimate relationship between the AD, the football program/Narduzzi and NIL.

I would think that you would want those 3 to be in sync to devise and implement a plan moving forward.

I wonder what the frequency and duration are of these committee meetings.
I am sure they will meet him and get some input. Maybe ask him who to reach out to, Perhaps after a final list of 5-8 people. Interview the final three?

I have no idea but he has to be somewhat involved. Football is the top revenue sport.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT