ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh 93.7 the fan

I am right there with you. I liked Joe and was a fan but that era is over now for me. A new era started the night Franklin hoisted the B1G trophy over his head.

Joe's era will never be over.. He helped built this program and was probably the main ingredient to why it is where it is today, in fact you could say that for the whole university.

This has been going on around here since the 1960's. When Pitt loses to Penn State (often), the media finds something to divert attention away from the result. It's not Franklin. They did this when Joe was coach also. The word is jealousy. Nothing more. And as far as 93.7 goes, don't even bother with it. Primarily just a bunch of hipsters who know little about life. Yeah there is Ron Cook, but he's just an over the hill writer whose talent level was pedestrian at best.

Last edited:
I just drove home from work. They are still going bananas. The one fool said Penn st will be begging to play Pitt after we get our teeth kicked in by Auburn and others lol.

The other fool was all hot bothered about the arrogance of James Franklin and Penn State in general.

It is the most entertaining thing I have ever heard on that stupid station.

Reactions: denniskembala
I just drove home from work. They are still going bananas. The one fool said Penn st will be begging to play Pitt after we get our teeth kicked in by Auburn and others lol.

The other fool was all hot bothered about the arrogance of James Franklin and Penn State in general.

They hate losing to Penn State. Need something else to focus on before they get their teeth kicked in by Okie State.

If anyone has been paying attention at all, Franklin's comments were consistent with what he has been saying all along, one game at a time.

Not true. He added the part about them treating last year like their super bowl. It is true that they did, but that really rankled them and took it to another level. I wouldn't have added that, but as long as CJF beats them again next year it won't matter a bit. F Pitt!!!

Reactions: denniskembala
He didn't say it. He was saying that it is PSU's philosophy to take each game the same and prepare hard. He was restating the "akron, akron, akron" and "pitt, pitt, pitt" mentality with "GA St, Ga St. Ga St" this week. He's trying to compete for a national championship. Each W stands alone, Pitt is as big as Akron and it is also as big as Michigan (except Michigan is also a B1G game). It wasn't a shot at Pitt at all.

Then why pray tell is everyone reacting. I'm not buying it.

So they say we'll be wanting to play mediocre Pitt if we start losing to good teams? Dream big I guess. But at least they know their place in college football.

Usually scheduling gets done like 6 years in advance. I'm saying we scheduled Alabama when at the time they weren't that good.

I give our current AD credit for scheduling WVU, Virginia Tech, and Auburn

They're freakin Alabama, maybe the bluest of all blue blood programs (my apologies to Notre Dame, but I'm talking about programs that actually win things). Are you seriously citing Alabama as an example of Paterno watering down the schedule? Alabama? That's it, I'm done with you. You are 100% troll.

Reactions: pandaczar12
It's their problem they haven't been nationally relevant in 35 years. It's their problem they tore down their stadium and have zero fan support. It's their problem they recruit locally only and take national chances with projects. We don't owe them the headlines or subsidy. Sorry Pitt but you're just another game on the schedule, and you made it so, not us.
It's their problem they haven't been nationally relevant in 35 years. It's their problem they tore down their stadium and have zero fan support. It's their problem they recruit locally only and take national chances with projects. We don't owe them the headlines or subsidy. Sorry Pitt but you're just another game on the schedule, and you made it so, not us.
Thanks for telling it like it is. Superbly stated and hits the nail on the head to place accountability where it belongs for Pitt's laughable ineptitude that's landed them in a quagmire of failure and embarrassing lack of success. If playing us annually is so important to them now, why was it not important 30 years ago when JoePa wanted them to join a conference. As you stated, they only have themselves to bliaim for their self-inflicted misery.

Reactions: nits74
They're freakin Alabama, maybe the bluest of all blue blood programs (my apologies to Notre Dame, but I'm talking about programs that actually win things). Are you seriously citing Alabama as an example of Paterno watering down the schedule? Alabama? That's it, I'm done with you. You are 100% troll.

You're a moron maybe you should look at Alabama 2000-2007 bama was pretty bad. Giving credit for scheduling a middle of the pack sec team

Beating Pitt was like beating Akron.

Why?

Because if we only beat Akron by 19 points, then I'm feeling a little unsatisfied.

Same way I felt about Saturday's result. I wanted a more lopsided win based on the inferiority of the opponent.

Yet if Akron beats us by only 3 points, it's still their friggin Super Bowl. They would make keychains and everything.

At one time or another, Franklin publicly referred to both the Akron and Pitt games as "our Super Bowl" during the weeks they were played. In that context, to say beating Pitt was like beating Akron following the Pitt game makes perfect sense. My first reaction was to wish he'd chosen his words a little differently, but looking at the run-up to both games and listening to his PC's changed that a little.

Last edited:
You're a moron maybe you should look at Alabama 2000-2007 bama was pretty bad. Giving credit for scheduling a middle of the pack sec team

But they were scheduled long before that time frame, and the. It was postponed until 2011-12.

At least he knows not to write run on sentences. I think we know who the real moron is.

Bottom Line is CJF probably should have sent that message a different way, Joe would have never said that.

It may have been "off the record," but didn't Joe once say he couldn't retire and leave college football "to the Jackie Sherrill and Barry Switzers" of the world?

I loved Joe as much as the next guy, but the sainthood and perfection projected on him is silly at times.

Don't Pitt fans wonder why he said Akron (and not Buffalo or IUP)? Maybe it's because we played Akron last and that was exactly Franklin's point. If Franklin was really trying to slam Pitt he would have compared beating them to beating a really low level program...but he chose Akron because that's who we just played.

Come on, let's not pretend it wasn't a shot. If it was purely about how we treat our opponents, there would be zero reason to bring up how Pitt acted about beating us. The only reason that is brought up is to contrast it with how we feel about beating them. Which is the dig. And it was awesome.

However, anyone else find it odd that JF said earlier this week that "every game is our Super Bowl." Now he mocks pitt treating it like it was their Super Bowl. Consistency JF!

Reactions: bytir
All they can talk about today is Franklin's comments. Zero game talk. Totally obsessed with the "rivaly" diss by James. They are really pathetic.
They are the flag station for Pitt. They sure as hell can't talk about the game since it was over 2 minutes into the game.

We were originally supposed to play them in 2004-2005. They cancelled with us.
You are a know nothing moron. If you were actually a PSU fan, you would have remembered that.

Buuuut your a Pitt fan, therefore below us.

Feel free to take your own advance and move on from these thread, and this board in general.
No. I prefer to stay and live in reality and current times rather than holding on to days gone by. Thanks for your feedback though. It's always valuable.

Corabi94 said:
No. I prefer to stay and live in reality and current times rather than holding on to days gone by. Thanks for your feedback though. It's always valuable.

Yeah, but "joebot" and "move on already" are soooo 5 years ago. When will you join us in reality and stop living in the past?

Someday you will learn that you can honor the past without sacrificing the present. It's like walking and chewing gum... you'll get it someday.

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
Yeah, but "joebot" and "move on already" are soooo 5 years ago. When will you join us in reality and stop living in the past?

Someday you will learn that you can honor the past without sacrificing the present. It's like walking and chewing gum... you'll get it someday.
I seriously doubt this misanthrope can figure out anything.

Reactions: pandaczar12
I don't know why I or anyone else should stop talking about Joe. He was a constant in the lives of multiple generations of Penn State fans students and alums.

Are we just supppsed to throw that away?

Yes Joe has been gone for five years -and I miss the old guy-and we are on our second full time head coach since then, but that does not mean I will forget about him and his influence for so many of us. And not just in football. Joe was head coach from the year I turned 1 to the year I turned 46. That's a long time and I for one am not willing to turn my back on those years.

Talking about or remembering Joe does not take away my excitement for Franklin this team or future teams. And making a comparative analysis between coaches is simply human nature amongst a fan base that has had one coach for a long time.

And if you don't like my comparative analysis or times I bring up Joe-then don't read my posts.

But I am not going to stop remembering Joe and I am not going to stop being excited for this team this program or James Franklin. They are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
It may have been "off the record," but didn't Joe once say he couldn't retire and leave college football "to the Jackie Sherrill and Barry Switzers" of the world?

I loved Joe as much as the next guy, but the sainthood and perfection projected on him is silly at times.

I've seen comments like this from different people yet, I haven't seen evidence of what they are talking about. Are we not allowed to talk about his high grad rate? His commitment to athletic and academic excellence? Are we projecting sainthood on him when we talk about the 3 million dollars of his own money that he donated to the library extension? What exactly do you see as projecting sainthood and perfection on him?

Reactions: PSU-Knocker
Not true. He added the part about them treating last year like their super bowl. It is true that they did, but that really rankled them and took it to another level. I wouldn't have added that, but as long as CJF beats them again next year it won't matter a bit. F Pitt!!!

Here's what I would tweak in his comment:

"Some teams get really excited about rivalry games and have special t-shirts made or hand out trinkets or whatever when they win. We treat every game the same. Every game is our Super Bowl. We were 1-0 this week and that's all that matters. We were 1-0 last week against Akron and now we switch all of our focus to our next Super Bowl: Georgia State. "

That's still a shot at Pitt (with a subtle reference to the key chains), but it's not as overt.

Reactions: Mixolydian
Here's what I would tweak in his comment:

"Some teams get really excited about rivalry games and have special t-shirts made or hand out trinkets or whatever when they win. We treat every game the same. Every game is our Super Bowl. We were 1-0 this week and that's all that matters. We were 1-0 last week against Akron and now we switch all of our focus to our next Super Bowl: Georgia State. "

That's still a shot at Pitt (with a subtle reference to the key chains), but it's not as overt.

Perfect

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT