ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should USWNT and USMNT both receive equal pay?

Should the US Womens National Soccer Team & the US Mens National Soccer Team both receive equal pay?

• Yes

Votes: 89 22.8%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 75 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 226 57.9%

• Total voters
The Men's U19 would beat every Women's World Cup Team. Period. The 34th ranked Thailand Women's Team lost 13-0 to the US...the Men's 34th ranked Serbia Team lost to Brazil 2-0 , tied Romania 2-2 and beat Lithuania 1-0 in the 2018 Men's WC. The competition levels are just very different. This is not to take anything away from the women because they are incredibly talented ..gifted and the best in the World ! But...to try and compare the men vs the women is just...more political grandstanding .
And most of the countries don’t give a rat’s ass about their women’s team. In the US, we do...so instead of crying about non-equal pay, maybe the politicians should be pushing other countries to pay attention to their women’s teams, increase interest, increase attendance, thereby generating more revenue which results in more pay.

The women's team should be paid more. They're champions with name recognition. The men's team is about as relevant as Pitt football.
So the Division 3 college football champion should bring in more money than Pitt just because they win? How about the AAA baseball champion? Should they get paid more than the last place MLB team just because they win?

Sorry but winning the women's world cup =/= winning the men's world cup.

Get rid of gender specific competition and then the women who are still competing can claim equal pay for equal work.

Reactions: Nitwit and Yanks49
Are we talking about total compensation or are we talking about what they get paid for being on the national team?

As others have noted the prize money for the World Cup is very different because the revenues are very different, and the women actually get a larger percentage of the revenue than the men do. I have no issue with this.

In terms of being paid to be on the national team, it is my understanding that the women are paid less. In a vacuum, I'd say they should be paid the same, unless the money to pay them is primarily coming from revenue. If the men's team if primarily financed from TV and tickets and that brings in more than the women TV/Tickets, then the men should be paid more.

If the salaries for the national team come from sort of larger US Soccer pool of funds that I don't understand, then it gets more complicated, but probably speaks for equal pay.

I blame the TV viewers, attendees, sponsors and merchandisers for lavishing disproportionate attention and dollars on the men's tournament. They should all have to pay an equal amount into the women's tournament, and then everything would be copacetic.

Reactions: OaktonDave
For the same reasons that I don't think Geno Auriemma should be paid the same as Coach K or Calipari, or that a top male model should automatically be paid the same as his female model counterpart.

Comparing men's and women's soccer is apples and oranges. We already support women's soccer better than any other country in the world (and unfortunately, you can still count on two hands the number of countries that really care about women's soccer).

What the US men's players get in terms of $ should have no bearing whatsoever on what the US women make, just as what the US Women's full national team makes should have no bearing on what our US Women's futsal team makes.

(I'm assuming your question of "why" was on the salary questions, and not asking why I'm a fan of women's soccer)

I blame the TV viewers, attendees, sponsors and merchandisers for lavishing disproportionate attention and dollars on the men's tournament. They should all have to pay an equal amount into the women's tournament, and then everything would be copacetic.

Except one tiny problem. People don't watch women's soccer worldwide like they do men's. The revenue for men is so much more. Women in the private sector business can compete with men and absolutely deserve equal pay for equal work. Soccer is not equal work. Until a woman makes the men's national soccer team, tough luck.

Do the athletes in the WNBA and the NBA get paid the same? I don't think so. If there was 1 soccer league and not a men's or women's based on best athletes...How many women would make the team?

So the Division 3 college football champion should bring in more money than Pitt just because they win? How about the AAA baseball champion? Should they get paid more than the last place MLB team just because they win?

Are they funded by the same entity? That is the case here as far as I know - the US Soccer Federation. Comparing different athletic levels of the same sport from completely different institutions I sn’t the right argument. If the USWNT is ‘paid’ less by the US Soccer Federation, that would be like women’s soccer players getting a scholarship of a lower value than men’s soccer players at the same school.

Good article here:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/b.../09/womens-soccer-uswnt-equal-pay/1676477001/

Last edited by a moderator:
For the same reasons that I don't think Geno Auriemma should be paid the same as Coach K or Calipari, or that a top male model should automatically be paid the same as his female model counterpart.

Comparing men's and women's soccer is apples and oranges. We already support women's soccer better than any other country in the world (and unfortunately, you can still count on two hands the number of countries that really care about women's soccer).

What the US men's players get in terms of $ should have no bearing whatsoever on what the US women make, just as what the US Women's full national team makes should have no bearing on what our US Women's futsal team makes.

(I'm assuming your question of "why" was on the salary questions, and not asking why I'm a fan of women's soccer)
I think this is basically right, although I’m not sure I’d say what the men make should have no bearing on what the women make. Equal is likely unrealistic but equitable should be the goal. While the disparity is disappointing, sports is the entertainment biz. So while I absolutely believe that equal work deserves equal pay (like men and women in the workplace), work isn’t just individual effort. It’s also value created. And entertainment value relates to viewer interest and revenues generated. It’s a shame but those aren’t equal here.

I love us women’s soccer and I’m thrilled about the successes, opportunities, etc. But in sports, the peak performers in the top leagues and the biggest interest-generators tend to be the most valuable. If women could compete in the top league and generate the same interest and revenues, they should receive equal pay to their male counterparts — just like Danica Patrick.

Edit: I also think US Soccer should pay members of the women’s team the same as the US men’s team, at least as a base if government dollars are used. From there, revenues have to rule. And while there’s a huge disparity in pay and it feels unfair, it’s interesting that women receive a higher % revenue. Seems there’s at least some equitable component.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EMCLION
It is so God damned sad a US Senator is pandering to the electorate in this fashion. It’s such an inconsequential issue. If this all he has to do than I can’t think of any reason the people of West Virginia need him representing them.
Meanwhile a major opioid epidemic is tearing right through his state!!

Reactions: bmw199
Wonder what the ladies of USWNT would think if they cut the men’s pay to equal theirs?

USSF: “we found a solution to this problem”
USWNT: “great, more money for us!!”
USSF: “well, we are going in a different direction here. We are cutting the men’s pay”
USWNT: “damn. This did not work out the way we wanted, even though we got what we were asking for.”

I would laugh out loud at that!!!

Reactions: AvgUser
What's funny is that I bet some of these same people saying there should be equal pay have been saying that we should de-emphasize sports in our society. I somewhat agree that we should de-emphasize sports. I fully accept the hypocrisy of that statement given that I am posting this on forum about college football. I don't really think sports is that important, that there should be national debate on pay equity in sports. I suppose an argument could be made that it is a much wider problem and I would agree that it is. Let's address the wider problem of gender inequity and forget about soccer.

Are they funded by the same entity? That is the case here as far as I know - the US Soccer Federation. Comparing different athletic levels of the same sport from completely different institutions I sn’t the right argument. If the USWNT is ‘paid’ less by the US Soccer Federation, that would be like women’s soccer players getting a scholarship of a lower value than men’s soccer players at the same school.

Good article here:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/b.../09/womens-soccer-uswnt-equal-pay/1676477001/
It is the right argument because it’s based on revenue generated. AAA baseball doesn’t generate the same revenue that the MLB does, so the best team in AAA is not going to get paid what the last place team in MLB earns because MLB brings in so much more money.

I think the women deserve a lot more ......
What have the men's team ever accomplished against other men's teams in the long hall.

The women have been more competitive so they deserve more pay.

Government pandering such as those examples listed here will all wash away with the next news cycle. Gutless lowlifes, the lot of them. None of it will matter to Washington next week.

As for the argument, women and men should absolutely be paid the same salary for the same job. The real debate then should be whether men’s soccer is the same job as women’s soccer. Fans may say they are the same, but actual revenue suggests that they are not.

If the women believe they are underpaid they should approach the men's team and offer to put all the men's and women's money in a pot and then play versus each other with the winner getting 75 percent and the loser getting 25 percent. Or some agreed to division. i.e. when the women can beat the men, or play them even, they should get equal pay.

Really, with all the sexual equality that is being pushed down every one's throats, why not just have one team and let the top players compete, regardless of sexual hardware, preference, etc.......

I've read about the transgender athletes that were men and are pawning themselves off as men and some organizations are making them test to women's testosterone levels in order to qualify for women's competition. Wonder if there are one or two "women" on the USWNST that would have trouble with that....

Last edited:
It is the right argument because it’s based on revenue generated. AAA baseball doesn’t generate the same revenue that the MLB does, so the best team in AAA is not going to get paid what the last place team in MLB earns because MLB brings in so much more money.

Nope. But not worth going any further here.

Government pandering such as those examples listed here will all wash away with the next news cycle. Gutless lowlifes, the lot of them. None of it will matter to Washington next week.

As for the argument, women and men should absolutely be paid the same salary for the same job. The real debate then should be whether men’s soccer is the same job as women’s soccer. Fans may say they are the same, but actual revenue suggests that they are not.
And the men don’t win because they’re playing against countries who’s whole existence has forever been tied up in soccer. The women are playing against countries where women don’t even get many opportunities to play soccer (or any sport). It would be like the US men’s ski team competing against Austria and the women’s team competing against Namibia, and then saying the women are better because they win.

I think this is basically right, although I’m not sure I’d say what the men make should have no bearing on what the women make. Equal is likely unrealistic but equitable should be the goal. While the disparity is disappointing, sports is the entertainment biz. So while I absolutely believe that equal work deserves equal pay (like men and women in the workplace), work isn’t just individual effort. It’s also value created. And entertainment value relates to viewer interest and revenues generated. It’s a shame but those aren’t equal here.

I love us women’s soccer and I’m thrilled about the successes, opportunities, etc. But in sports, the peak performers in the top leagues and the biggest interest-generators tend to be the most valuable. If women could compete in the top league and generate the same interest and revenues, they should receive equal pay to their male counterparts — just like Danica Patrick.

Edit: I also think US Soccer should pay members of the women’s team the same as the US men’s team, at least as a base if government dollars are used. From there, revenues have to rule. And while there’s a huge disparity in pay and it feels unfair, it’s interesting that women receive a higher % revenue. Seems there’s at least some equitable component.

it is really that simple. this is NOT a US legal issue as much as Rapinoe wants to mouth it. having protests in DC over this is so stupid. are they really that stupid?

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
:rolleyes:
And most of the countries don’t give a rat’s ass about their women’s team. In the US, we do...so instead of crying about non-equal pay, maybe the politicians should be pushing other countries to pay attention to their women’s teams, increase interest, increase attendance, thereby generating more revenue which results in more pay.

So you want politicians from the US to get involved with the issues of gender fiscal equality in other countries rather than focus on those same issues in this country. Where they are elected officials.

That’s your answer? :rolleyes:

The obvious answer is OF COURSE they should and currently, the men are getting less than the women.
While the women players in the World cup get 13% of revenues, the men only get 9%.
Of course, the men's WC generates $400M in revenues, while the women's generates $33M. I'm so sick of the ridiculous pay disparity nonsense that is continually pushed despite being debunked over and over. These women better be careful b/c there is a serious chance that they get a pay decrease if they get their way.

But the US men were not part of the World Cup, were they?
Honest question because I don’t know. What are the salaries of each? Does each player on each team get the same salary or is there a salary scale for each team?

How well are the US national team players paid in comparison to other national team players?

No. In fact, the men should be paid more in order to attract young athletes to the sport. Nowadays boys dream of fame and fortune while playing football, basketball, or baseball. Maybe if they think they can get rich playing soccer they'll play that instead.

Yeah, I know. I'm a horrible person. Don't care.

Not sure where you live, but in northern NJ soccer is the #1 participatory sport by a long margin, for both genders. Less and less kids are playing football due to the risks involved. And most kids are bored by baseball, just too slow and not enough action for them.

I think the women deserve a lot more ......
What have the men's team ever accomplished against other men's teams in the long hall.

The women have been more competitive so they deserve more pay.

That same logic would mean the players on the best WNBA team should be paid more than the players on the Knicks. You don’t see why that’s absurd?

The women's team should be paid more. They're champions with name recognition. The men's team is about as relevant as Pitt football.
Nonetheless, the numbers are what they are. The men’s team generates a ton more revenue.

ADVERTISEMENT