ADVERTISEMENT

PSU can't afford the Beaver Stadium renovation -Fenchak

The World Cup is in North America in 2026. It is possible that this was what he was referring to. They've got to have these scheduled years in advance so the plans may not have been solid when the venues were selected. That is just a guess. They've had, and continue to have, big concerts there so I am not sure if that qualifies as "big, big, big". I can't think of another event that would qualify. Its a good question.

I sat next to a guy on a flight from LAX to Hawaii several years ago. He told me he was going to Hawaii to plan an ice skating event in Honolulu. Surprised, I asked more. Turns out he was an advance man for these ice events at various venues. This was right when they started to do outdoor NHL events. He told me that they had the Penguins and Flyers all set up but the Pens didn't want to play in Philly and Philly didn't want to play in Pittsburgh. So they looked at State College but the cost to winterize the Beav was way too much and the deal fell apart.
I don't think the 6 hotels in town would support the World Cup even considering Beaver Stadium

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I don't think the 6 hotels in town would support the World Cup even considering Beaver Stadium
I agree, that would be a problem...but at capacity, why is this a different problem then PSU playing in at home in a playoff December 20/21?

I agree, that would be a problem...but at capacity, why is this a different problem then PSU playing in at home in a playoff December 20/21?
Penn state football involves staff that are local and would draw enough people that live in state college or a day's drive. A world cup game is nothing local. The hotels in town wouldn't even house the staff that would descend upon state college, let alone the people from other countries that want to attend a game.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Penn state football involves staff that are local and would draw enough people that live in state college or a day's drive. A world cup game is nothing local. The hotels in town wouldn't even house the staff that would descend upon state college, let alone the people from other countries that want to attend a game.
fair enough.

Reactions: heckmans
I should add, though, that this would be an issue for any non-PSU event held at the stadium. For example, an NHL game.

I should add, though, that this would be an issue for any non-PSU event held at the stadium. For example, an NHL game.
Agree. There hasn't been one of those either, but if it did, it would almost certainly involve Pitt/Phi/Buffalo, all of which are within 2.5-4.0 hour drive, with may of their fans being closer. It would be not far from a PSU game with most people making it a day trip.

Agree. There hasn't been one of those either, but if it did, it would almost certainly involve Pitt/Phi/Buffalo, all of which are within 2.5-4.0 hour drive, with may of their fans being closer. It would be not far from a PSU game with most people making it a day trip.
Agreed. It becomes a continuum. But what we do have is a stadium that holds 100,000+ and ample parking. When you look at Philly and Pitt, their stadiums hold less than 70k. So an additional 35k seats has to be a valuable differentiator.

Good article on WVU adding suites to stadium. If they can increase revenue by $20 million we can certainly double that.

Also states that enrollment at the university is always highest when the athletics is doing well. And that strengthens academics.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT