ADVERTISEMENT

PSU - GW Men's BB Game Thread

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Our own writers have lost faith in the men's baketball team.

"Prediction There’s no indication that this game should be anything but a win for Penn State. The Nittany Lions are more talented, have better depth, and are playing at home. George Washington, however, has played a tougher schedule, and already beat a good team in Temple. That Temple team beat Wisconsin two days after Penn State lost to them. I don’t know that these Lions will keep having bounce back game after bounce back game. George Washington 71, Penn State 69"

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...lonials-yuta-watanabe-tony-carr-lamar-stevens

in the men's baketball team.

"Prediction There’s no indication that this game should be anything but a win for Penn State. The Nittany Lions are more talented, have better depth, and are playing at home. George Washington, however, has played a tougher schedule, and already beat a good team in Temple. That Temple team beat Wisconsin two days after Penn State lost to them. I don’t know that these Lions will keep having bounce back game after bounce back game. George Washington 71, Penn State 69"

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/20...lonials-yuta-watanabe-tony-carr-lamar-stevens

Maybe they didn’t lose what they never had in the first place!

It's a good spot for PSU today. First time this year that I've played one of our games (got us -13).

Things were setting up well for Penn State basketball to have a good year this year. The roster is supposed to be talented and the BIG is down (witness the results of the BIG-ACC challenge).

But here we are on December 9th, and already the best this team can even hope for is an NIT bid, and that is a longshot. Unreal.

But the OOC schedule doesn't support an NCAA bid (current RPI is around 155), and one of our "best" players routinely costs us games both this year and last year with absolutely boneheaded plays.

So, I am on the side of the writers on this one.

But here we are on December 9th, and already the best this team can even hope for is an NIT bid, and that is a longshot. Unreal.

Not even close to accurate on the first statement.

And on the second one, are you saying that you also predict a loss today?

Reactions: wbcincy
Things were setting up well for Penn State basketball to have a good year this year. The roster is supposed to be talented and the BIG is down (witness the results of the BIG-ACC challenge).

But the OOC schedule doesn't support an NCAA bid (current RPI is around 155), and one of our "best" players routinely costs us games both this year and last year with absolutely boneheaded plays.

Wait til next year....the mantra of Pitt football and Penn State basketball.

Not even close to accurate on the first statement.

And on the second one, are you saying that you also predict a loss today?

I predict a win today. But the only way this team makes the NCAA tournament is by winning the BIG conference tournament at the end of the season. They had to beat Wisconsin at home and NC State on the road in order to hope for an at-large to the NCAAs. They basically have to finish in the top 5 of the BIG conference now, and that ain't happening this year, with this coach and these players.

If they lose more than 6 more games the rest of the way, they are done. There is about a 90% chance of that happening.

Fire Chambers? This team is playing tremendous defense today. Hope they keep it up. 39-14 now with 3:17 left in half.

NCAA's here we come due to a blow out over a bad basketball team. Let's keep this game in perspective.
And you'd be blasting them if the game was close. They're doing what good teams are supposed to do.

Reactions: Bob78
Wheeler scoring some bodes well. Haven't seen anybody that does the things Reaves does on defensive, so unique, has so many defensive "moves.". I think they should start off in the three quarter court 1-2-2 almost every game, brings energy.

You're a clown boy who thinks because you officiated pre-teen girl's field hockey that you're a sports guru.
Wow, you're funny. I know way more about basketball than you do about football, yet you still post your opinion about football on this board. And you don't have to be a sports guru to know that losing to all the good teams you play and only beating the bad teams you play doesn't make you a good team.

I predict a win today. But the only way this team makes the NCAA tournament is by winning the BIG conference tournament at the end of the season. They had to beat Wisconsin at home and NC State on the road in order to hope for an at-large to the NCAAs. They basically have to finish in the top 5 of the BIG conference now, and that ain't happening this year, with this coach and these players.

If they lose more than 6 more games the rest of the way, they are done. There is about a 90% chance of that happening.
You said that the NIT is a "longshot". And as I said, that's not remotely accurate (nor is the thought that we have no chance of finishing in the top 5 of the conference this year).

The last couple of minutes of a college basketball game can be torture and hell.

You said that the NIT is a "longshot". And as I said, that's not remotely accurate (nor is the thought that we have no chance of finishing in the top 5 of the conference this year).

We have about a 10% chance of finishing in the top 5 of the conference. So, I agree that is better than no shot. I would like to see Penn State basketball turn into something decent. But "something decent" meant beating NC State and Wisconsin.

Man, the hoops haters on here are a joke. Now GW is a "bad" basketball team. They're around 150 RPI with a recent win over Temple. Nobody is arguing they're great, but they aren't "bad." So blowing them out isn't meaningless.

Same goes for saying the NIT is already the best this team can hope for. That's just ignorance. They have no bad losses so far. No great wins either, but they can get those in conference. The 2010-2011 Penn State team lost to Ole Miss, Maryland, VaTech, and Maine out of conference with zero impressive wins. Guess they had no chance of making the NCAA tournament either, right? I'm not saying we will make the NCAA, I think this is an NIT team and I think that's the appropriate expectation. But to act like that's already the best hope? Nonsense.

We aren't a great team, but we're certainly good, and improving. We hung in there til the end against what I think is a top 10 team in the country. We lost to an NC State team on the road while they shot 60%+ from deep, despite those shots being contested. And we had the ball against Wisconsin with a chance to win under 10 seconds. These are not bad teams they lost to, and we were in every game. If you think there's nothing different about the games this year compared with the past 6, you don't really watch and actually pay attention.

Go back through this thread and show me who was acting like this was a huge win? Nobody did that, all I see is a few people happy to get a decisive W. Yet you felt the irresistible urge to $hit on the win. Wonder why that is.

Read the thread again. What happened was the usual suspects started criticizing those that want Chambers out as though this win is a sign he should be given more time to become mediocre.

I just want Penn State hoops to be good. Chambers isn't the man to get us there and today shouldn't change anyone's opinion in either direction. Do you honestly think this is a good team?

Read the thread again. What happened was the usual suspects started criticizing those that want Chambers out as though this win is a sign he should be given more time to become mediocre.

I just want Penn State hoops to be good. Chambers isn't the man to get us there and today shouldn't change anyone's opinion in either direction. Do you honestly think this is a good team?

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't great, but I didnt notice anyone acting like this win is a sign Chambers should get more time. We all agree this is a game we should win. So when we do, and convincingly, it's ok to be happy about that. Being happy about it doesnt mean we think we should be ranked now.

And yes, I honestly think we're good. That said, I think making the NIT means you're "good." I think we're a .500 in B1G play team. To me, thats good.

Reactions: nittnee and Bob78
Maybe my reading comprehension isn't great, but I didnt notice anyone acting like this win is a sign Chambers should get more time. We all agree this is a game we should win. So when we do, and convincingly, it's ok to be happy about that. Being happy about it doesnt mean we think we should be ranked now.

And yes, I honestly think we're good. That said, I think making the NIT means you're "good." I think we're a .500 in B1G play team. To me, thats good.

Start with post #11
We disagree on the definition of good but I respect the answer

We have about a 10% chance of finishing in the top 5 of the conference. So, I agree that is better than no shot. I would like to see Penn State basketball turn into something decent. But "something decent" meant beating NC State and Wisconsin.
If you're willing to give me 4-1 (i.e. Much better than the 10-1 odds that you imply), we could both escrow some $ to Tom M (or make it for Uplifting Athletes or something if that's more your thing). Terms would be that if we're seeded 6-14 at MSG, I'll pay "x", and if 1-5, you pony up 4 times "x". Any interest?

FTR, I'd put our chances at a top 5 finish around 35-40% today. And odds at a floor of the NIT in the 70-75% range.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT