ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Michigan noon

Mr hot link has nothing. NOTHING. Because it doesn't exist. You sure shared the other articles Bushy.

Go back to Champs.

It's quite clear which Nov game NBC wanted, and scUM refused in violation of NBC's contract with the B1G......, and it wasn't PurDon't or the Turtles dipshit.

Well, we're just going to have to get over it if we want to achieve the ultimate goals. I mean, the OSU-Michigan game is played at noon every season, and that game never seems to lack intensity. I would hope that the program is strong enough not to need the crutch of an evening atmosphere to win big games.
At the risk of being nicknamed 'The Rat' I would lock them in the night before and tell coaches and players alike to wake up the f up and be ready to go or consider a job or or NIL elsewhere.

At the risk of being nicknamed 'The Rat' I would lock them in the night before and tell coaches and players alike to wake up the f up and be ready to go or consider a job or or NIL elsewhere.
We need to schedule a couple of the OOC cupcakes for noon starts. Get the team acclimated to prepping and being game ready at noon.

No just the "we" poser-trolls who are.... - like you troll-boy. BTW, everyone has identified you for the "we" poser-troll moron you are troll-boy.
You can say literally anything you want to me. You have zero credibility. You bitch constantly. Might need to seek some medical treatment to resolve that issue.

FWIW, and also putting myself at risk as being labeled a Nittany poser scUM troll, I reached out to someone with some connections in the sports broadcast field. Their response was true for the B1G TV contract prior to this new iteration, and they said that Fox, as the big dog, had the first THREE picks in the broadcast window draft. Provided that is still the case, and that Fox has already announced PSU-UM as a Big Nooner, it's entirely possible NBC never got a chance at that game. Just a possibility, mind you, but if you look at it objectively from a programmer's perspective, in this case Fox, if they do have the first three picks it's entirely possible they take the three games with the highest projected ratings, and you'd see OSU-UM, OSU-PSU and PSU-UM under the Fox umbrella.

Reactions: lazydave841
Their response was true for the B1G TV contract prior to this new iteration, and they said that Fox, as the big dog, had the first THREE picks in the broadcast window draft.

Throw in CBS, who announced PSU/WVU as their 1st Big 10 game, instead of one of the 3 you mentioned and it's obvious that this isn't a strictly rotating thing.

No worries, there is only a single idiot calling people names strictly because they don't support his opinion. Heck, he name calls the few who do agree with him.

Reactions: bison13
Throw in CBS, who announced PSU/WVU as their 1st Big 10 game, instead of one of the 3 you mentioned and it's obvious that this isn't a strictly rotating thing.

No worries, there is only a single idiot calling people names strictly because they don't support his opinion. Heck, he name calls the few who do agree with him.
Have the actual terms and conditions of the new Big 10 TV deal been finalized? According to an article in the Sports Business Journal dated 5/22, the 'horse trading' to complete the long form contract which include the fine print details.

It is going to be hard for anyone to dissect how this is going to function without an actual signed legal document.

Have the actual terms and conditions of the new Big 10 TV deal been finalized? According to an article in the Sports Business Journal dated 5/22, the 'horse trading' to complete the long form contract which include the fine print details.

It is going to be hard for anyone to dissect how this is going to function without an actual signed legal document.

Bingo. We know what they tell us until it changes and they tell us something else.

Reactions: Lion_Backer

Have the media deals actually been finalized/signed or was the new B1G Commissioner left to clean up?

Have the media deals actually been finalized/signed or was the new B1G Commissioner left to clean up?

I'm sure they either have been or will be finalized soon. In fact, we might hear information in the next few days as the announcements for kickoffs for the first 3 weeks of the season should occur any day now.

And just to be clear, what is going on with the Big Ten in terms of the TV contracts really isn't anything out of the ordinary. A lot of times, these things are announced as "official" prior to all the minutiae being worked out and contracts being officially signed. While I'm not a particular fan of Warren, I don't think he did anything all that atypical in this regards, it's just that some involved parties didn't like aspects of the deal and found an eager media outlet (ESPN who lost the Big Ten rights) happy to paint a negative story. the universities signed off on the principles of the TV deals, even if the coaches and ADs of some schools didn't like some of the details; it wasn't Warren going rogue or anything.

I'm sure they either have been or will be finalized soon. In fact, we might hear information in the next few days as the announcements for kickoffs for the first 3 weeks of the season should occur any day now.

And just to be clear, what is going on with the Big Ten in terms of the TV contracts really isn't anything out of the ordinary. A lot of times, these things are announced as "official" prior to all the minutiae being worked out and contracts being officially signed. While I'm not a particular fan of Warren, I don't think he did anything all that atypical in this regards, it's just that some involved parties didn't like aspects of the deal and found an eager media outlet (ESPN who lost the Big Ten rights) happy to paint a negative story. the universities signed off on the principles of the TV deals, even if the coaches and ADs of some schools didn't like some of the details; it wasn't Warren going rogue or anything.

The problem that I have with the official announcement is that Warren was not around to finalize the 'minutiae'.

Also, how much unilateral power did Warren have to finalize the details without consent from the universities that he represents?

I think this question is at the heart of the matter and depends upon who you ask - no way NBC commits the kind of $$$ they did without believing they had a binding contract with Warren, the B1G's Representative who legally speaks for all Conference Schools in this situation. The deal was officially announced by B1G on 8/18/2022 - here is the B1G's and NBC's Press Releases:

BIG TEN CONFERENCE ANNOUNCES GROUNDBREAKING MEDIA RIGHTS AGREEMENTS

Big Ten media deal: NBC gets primetime Saturday night game
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/big-ten/big-ten-football-finds-new-primetime-home-nbc-peacock-2023
Here is how an Independent sports media journal reported the deal:

Big Ten officially agrees to new media deals with CBS, Fox, NBC

Here is the first sentence of the above article:

The Big Ten has finalized media rights contracts with CBS, Fox and NBC that will total more than $8 billion over seven years, making it the most lucrative conference rights deal in the history of college athletics.

PSU announced that the Whiteout would be Iowa on CBS on 5/15/2023 which was immediately followed by an ESPN Report that essentially was about NBC being livid regarding a "marquee" B1G team refusing to play a Primetime Nov matchup in violation of their contractual rights and NBC was therefore threatening to remove $70 million from their annual contractual payments unless the new B1G Commissioner (the B1G's Legal Contractual Negotiator - not the scUM AD) could come to amicable terms.

The seminal ESPN ARTICLE by Pete Thamel only mentions one school that NBC absolutely spoke with and who refused a Nov Primetime game setting off NBC's breach of contract claim and threat to withhold $70 million:

"NBC was surprised, and I was surprised," said Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel. "We had not discussed, and I had not discussed with anyone in the league to change the tolerances we had agreed upon years ago."

Thamel's piece also contains this nugget supporting NBC's claim that they had "contractual rights" being violated here:

"The fault here is with the administrators on campus," said another industry source. "How did the presidents, chancellors and athletic directors not know this? The universities all signed off on the deal."

The deal was FORMALLY ANNOUNCED on August 18, 2022 with Formal Press Releases from each of the participants.

This bullshit that programs didn't know that NBC being granted a contract to create a Saturday Primetime B1G Broadcast Franchise (similar to NBC's NFL Sunday Night Football - which is the timeslot's #1 Show for something like 15 years straight... so much for Primetime not being able to generate the ratings [insert eyeroll]). Here is a direct excerpt from an NBC PR just after the deal was announced:

Every weekend from Sept. 2 through Nov. 25, the trio will call a Big Ten Football game, which will be broadcast on NBC and simulstreamed on Peacock. Big Ten Saturday Night highlights an NBC Sports-record 33 college football games in Fall 2023.

The notion that these schools had no idea that NBC had rights to a Primetime B1G telecast for the entire season modeled on their "Sunday Night Football" telecast is just ridiculous - it's blastered all over the seminal Press Release as well as all subsequent Press Releases.... blastered all over the Contracts these schools signed and the B1G FORMALLY ANNOUNCED.

As for the party above who claims "they spoke with someone" and FOX has first 3 picks... is talking out of their ass - they haven't a clue what Warren negotiated with NBC - NBC has repeatedly stated that Warren contractually committed to "marquee Primetime matchups during the seasons most important month of the season, November". NBC's seminal PR contains the following statement regarding what was promised to them by the B1G as they attempted to replicate their "Sunday Night Football" broadcast for the B1G on Saturday nights:

The gem of the new Big Ten TV deal will belong to NBC, which announced Thursday that it will be airing the biggest Big Ten football game of the week on Saturday nights starting in the fall of 2023.

This news story breaking only days after PSU announced that Iowa would be the Whiteout game in Primetime (on CBS no less) - clearly suggests that NBC selected scUM @PSU with their first choice (assuming PSU would make it their Primetime Whiteout) and CBS selected Iowa @PSU with their first choice (CBS is the 3:30pm Slot broadcaster under the contract - in 2023 they would be permitted some flexibility on kickoff time to work around their SEC contract, but only in 2023). Pretty clear that scUM refused to play in Primetime regarding NBC's Selection (scUM @PSU) - this forced PSU to talk to CBS about making Iowa the Whiteout in Primetime (the B1G granted the kickoff time change from CBS's contractual 3:30 timeslot to Primetime). This set NBC off - not only did scUM refuse to play a game they had a contractual right to..., but then the B1G allowed CBS to make Iowa @PSU a Primetime kickoff so PSU could make it a Primetime Whiteout in NBC's CONTRACTUAL timeslot! This is clearly what generated the explosion of media reports only days later that NBC was removing $70 million from their contractual payments due to contractual breaches by the B1G

This is excerpted directly from Thamel's seminal piece:

"These deals aren't done, and they aren't what they were represented to be from the standpoint of the NBC deal and the availability of all members to participate in November games in primetime," said an industry source.

This is clearly the impetus that generated the entire piece by Thamel - NBC going off on the B1G due to what they believed were major contractual breaches that just took place!

All this bullshit about the B1G and B1G schools not knowing that a Primetime Franchise - to be modeled on NBC's wildly successful "Sunday Night Football" broadcast - was granted to NBC for the entire B1G Regular Season is laughable nonsense - every one of these schools SIGNED THE DEALS, read the Press Releases, etc.... Complete bullshit that they didn't know NBC was the "Primetime Partner" brought on specifically to create a "Primetime B1G Saturday Night Football" franchise for the entire season.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
I guess it is unclear what the process is for the networks to select games. Not sure why it is so clouded in mystery. It seems like a stretch to me that NBC and CBS would agree to Fox getting the first 3 TV picks. #1 OSU vs Mich, #2 PSU vs Mich, #2A PSU vs OSU. I know Fox is still the lead dog but NBC and CBS paid a lot of money to broadcast the best games, not get Fox's left overs.

Sparty is an unknown at this point. They could be decent but no one is predicting them to be anything great thus the MSU vs Mich games and the OSU vs MSU games can't be really exciting the NBC execs or CBS execs. Probably PSU vs Iowa is the #4 game and CBS snatched that one. Although, in my opinion, there is a precipitous drop in marquee value between a PSU vs Mich or PSU vs OSU and a PSU vs Iowa matchup. I'm sure a big ratings difference too.

I really hope something changes for next year. We have Ohio State at home and it is Allar's last year. We need a White Out prime time game with them.

The problem that I have with the official announcement is that Warren was not around to finalize the 'minutiae'.

Also, how much unilateral power did Warren have to finalize the details without consent from the universities that he represents?

I would be almost certain that the schools provided consent for the details of the TV deal. Understand that just because some ADs or coaches complain that they weren't consulted doesn't mean that the school presidents or boards didn't provide approval.

I’m with the crowd that realizes we don’t know the network selection specifics other than Fox has the #1 overall selection for the season. We don’t even know if all the weeks are pre-selected, or just a limited number.

When looking at previous seasons telecasts, keep in mind that ABC televised last years ND @ tOSU game. I would suspect that would have been the #2 choice from the conference for the season, and I cannot believe it wouldn’t have made the top 3.

I guess it is unclear what the process is for the networks to select games. Not sure why it is so clouded in mystery. It seems like a stretch to me that NBC and CBS would agree to Fox getting the first 3 TV picks. #1 OSU vs Mich, #2 PSU vs Mich, #2A PSU vs OSU. I know Fox is still the lead dog but NBC and CBS paid a lot of money to broadcast the best games, not get Fox's left overs.

The fine details of these contracts rarely come out but we mostly get the gist over time. In the previous deals, FOX always had the first pick but then it alternated with Disney/ESPN. Also, keep in mind that "first pick" means first choice in a particular week of games; this amounts typically to be specific games (e.g. Michigan/Ohio State) but not necessarily. Since most games are chosen as the season progresses, sometimes a network might choose a different game than they anticipated in the pre-season.

That being said, I'm at least curious if the "FOX gets the first three picks" is just a 2023 thing or not. The 2023 specifics are wonky because of CBS only doing about half as many games and using odd timeslots due to being in the final year of their SEC contract. It wouldn't surprise me if the details are a good bit different for 2024 and going forward.

The one thing I heard is that FOX gets the first choice 50% of the weeks, and CBS and NBC each get 25% of the weeks (though this is probably for 2024 and beyond). On that basis, future years might only involve FOX getting the first 2 choices, not 3 but that's just a theory on my part.

Also, the 2023 situation particularly sucks as the Big Ten has prety much no good home (i.e. conference controlled) non-conference games. PSU/WVU is pretty much the best non-conference home game (or Washington/MSU). Future years, there will be some non-conference games that will also get attention and be prime choices. Also, with USC joining in 2024, that adds another top program to the ring in terms of number of higher profile games for the conference.

When looking at previous seasons telecasts, keep in mind that ABC televised last years ND @ tOSU game. I would suspect that would have been the #2 choice from the conference for the season, and I cannot believe it wouldn’t have made the top 3.

Previous seasons was FOX always got the #1 choice of weeks, ESPN/Disney got the #2 choice of weeks and then they kept alternating. FOX certainly has retained the first choice of weeks under this new deal, it just is not clear how CBS and NBC fit in for sure.

I’m with the crowd that realizes we don’t know the network selection specifics other than Fox has the #1 overall selection for the season. We don’t even know if all the weeks are pre-selected, or just a limited number.

How does this year's game count? It's at ND, but in the Big 10 time slot.

Also the ND/USC game is already in the Big 10 time slot.

How does this year's game count? It's at ND, but in the Big 10 time slot.

Also the ND/USC game is already in the Big 10 time slot.

All Notre Dame home games are controlled by ND and are part of their TV contract with NBC. NBC can put up to 2 Notre Dame games per year into a primetime slot and are doing it for tOSU/ND and USC/ND in 2023. In both those weekends, NBC will have an afternoon Big Ten game instead. And CBS will be able to broadcast a Big Ten game in the evening such at PSU/Iowa which allows both networks to have an exclusive window.

It's not clear what will happen in 2024 and beyond when NBC still is carrying ND and CBS will have its full allotment of Big Ten games at 3:30. Those are the kinds of TV contract details that aren't generally released but we can figure them out based on how the games end up being scheduled. I think it's likely that NBC in 2024 and beyond will still carry 1-2 Notre Dame home games at night and on those Saturdays we'll see NBC with an afternoon Big Ten game and CBS with night games but we'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: lazydave841

FOX does have the #1 selection - in the contract they were granted rights to the scUM-duhO$U game for the life of the contract; this counts as their first selection every year. It is quite clear that NBC took scUM @PSU next. It then alternates back to FOX (who holds 1/2 interest) - they took PSU @duhO$U, then back to NBC/CBS, CBS took Iowa @PSU.....

scUM defaults on NBC's first selection and refuses to play with their lame claim that Warren doesn't have the right to negotiate their broadcast rights, tolerances, etc..... (which is bullshit the B1G Commissioner absolutely does when negotiating a media contract like this).... PSU is informed by NBC that scUM is refusing to play a Primetime Whiteout..... PSU negotiates a Primetime broadcast of Iowa game with CBS (the 3:30 Broadcaster) and the B1G grants the change in kickoff time to CBS.... PSU/CBS announce Whiteout game in NBC's contractual timeslot on 8/15/2023. NBC goes off and claims multiple contractual breaches by B1G and informs them that they will be reducing contractual payments by $70 million.... Thamel's story featuring the following quote:

"These deals aren't done, and they aren't what they were represented to be from the standpoint of the NBC deal and the availability of all members to participate in November games in primetime," said an industry source.

....Thamel's story was released 5 days after PSU announced that Iowa would be the Whiteout Game and broadcast in Primetime by CBS.

The sequence, and timing, of these events and NBC informing the B1G they were reducing contractual payments by $100 million due to contractual breaches is not coinky-dink.

The fine details of these contracts rarely come out but we mostly get the gist over time. In the previous deals, FOX always had the first pick but then it alternated with Disney/ESPN. Also, keep in mind that "first pick" means first choice in a particular week of games; this amounts typically to be specific games (e.g. Michigan/Ohio State) but not necessarily. Since most games are chosen as the season progresses, sometimes a network might choose a different game than they anticipated in the pre-season.

That being said, I'm at least curious if the "FOX gets the first three picks" is just a 2023 thing or not. The 2023 specifics are wonky because of CBS only doing about half as many games and using odd timeslots due to being in the final year of their SEC contract. It wouldn't surprise me if the details are a good bit different for 2024 and going forward.

The one thing I heard is that FOX gets the first choice 50% of the weeks, and CBS and NBC each get 25% of the weeks (though this is probably for 2024 and beyond). On that basis, future years might only involve FOX getting the first 2 choices, not 3 but that's just a theory on my part.

Also, the 2023 situation particularly sucks as the Big Ten has prety much no good home (i.e. conference controlled) non-conference games. PSU/WVU is pretty much the best non-conference home game (or Washington/MSU). Future years, there will be some non-conference games that will also get attention and be prime choices. Also, with USC joining in 2024, that adds another top program to the ring in terms of number of higher profile games for the conference.
Doc, I explicitly stated that my source told me that "Fox got the first three picks" was from the prior deal with ESPN being the junior partner."

Perhaps Fox chooses which weeks it picks first, and then the junior partners get their turn. I do not know. As we all know from our continued frustration with the increasing number of six-day holds, we typically know the network but not the time. To me, that lends itself to the theory that the network decision had been made prior to the season. Again, just a guess

Also, Mufasa, it was reported at one time that ESPN traded 2022 ND-OSU to Fox so Joe Buck could exit his contract to join Aikman at ESPN MNF. Apparently that wasn't the case as ABC did indeed televise that contest. So perhaps a different ESPN game was "traded" to Fox.

Also, Mufasa, it was reported at one time that ESPN traded 2022 ND-OSU to Fox so Joe Buck could exit his contract to join Aikman at ESPN MNF. Apparently that wasn't the case as ABC did indeed televise that contest. So perhaps a different ESPN game was "traded" to Fox.

There was - it was actually PSU/Purdue to kick off the season that FOX got the rights to instead of ESPN.

Doc, I explicitly stated that my source told me that "Fox got the first three picks" was from the prior deal with ESPN being the junior partner."

Perhaps Fox chooses which weeks it picks first, and then the junior partners get their turn. I do not know. As we all know from our continued frustration with the increasing number of six-day holds, we typically know the network but not the time. To me, that lends itself to the theory that the network decision had been made prior to the season. Again, just a guess

Well, the source is incorrect because FOX and ESPN always traded picks in the previous contract. FOX got the first pick every year but Disney always had the second pick and they alternated. This has been pretty well established by media insiders who cover these deals. FOX having the first three picks is new for 2023 with the new deal.

For example, in 2022, FOX took UM/OSU as they always do with the first pick then Disney grabbed Notre Dame/Ohio State with the second pick.

Last edited:
There was - it was actually PSU/Purdue to kick off the season that FOX got the rights to instead of ESPN.

Well, the source is incorrect because FOX and ESPN always traded picks in the previous contract. FOX got the first pick every year but Disney always had the second pick and they alternated. This has been pretty well established by media insiders who cover these deals. FOX having the first three picks is new for 2023 with the new deal.

For example, in 2022, FOX took UM/OSU as they always do with the first pick then Disney grabbed Notre Dame/Ohio State with the second pick.

No way NBC and CBS paid the type of sums they paid for Fox's leftovers - that absolutely is not what was reported when the deal was announced. Also, under the new contract Fox is specifically granted rights to the scUM-duhO$U game for the life of the contract in lieu of their first choice (the original Press Releases state that Fox had exclusive rights to scUM/duhO$U game as part of their negotiated concessions.).

Both the B1G's and NBC's Press Releases at the time the deal was announced (8/18/2022) state that NBC is being brought on as the contract's "Primetime Partner" to establish a premier Saturday primetime B1G telecast ("B1G Saturday Night Football") modeled on NBC's wildly successful "Sunday Night Football" telecasts which have been #1 in their timeslot for like 15 years running.

Utter nonsense that scUM didn't know Warren had granted NBC a primetime telecast for the entire season (as is scUM's bullsit about the B1G Commissioner not having the right to negotiate their "tolerance rights of refusal" away - the Commissioner absolutely does hold the legal right to negotiate it away especiallywhen the schools themselves signed off on the deal) - it's in the contract that all schools signed off on before it was officially announced on 8/18/2023.

Last edited:
  • Love
Utter nonsense that scUM didn't know Warren had granted NBC a primetime telecast for the entire season (as is scUM's bullsit about the B1G Commissioner not having the right to negotiate their "tolerance rights of refusal" away - the Commissioner absolutely does hold the legal right to negotiate it away especiallywhen the schools themselves signed off on the deal) - it's in the contract that all schools signed off on before it was officially announced on 8/18/2023.
Why do you care? Honestly--why?

All I really care about when it comes to networks broadcasting PSU football is getting a White Out in prime time vs Mich or OSU when we have them at home. You would think this could be an achievable goal but in this current convoluted/complicated media environment it seems incredibly difficult to pull off.

All I really care about when it comes to networks broadcasting PSU football is getting a White Out in prime time vs Mich or OSU when we have them at home. You would think this could be an achievable goal but in this current convoluted/complicated media environment it seems incredibly difficult to pull off.

Especially when the B1G Commissioner treats scUM uniquely and doesn't force them to honor the Conference's contractual obligations to the Contract's "Primetime Partner", NBC...... but instead allows scUM to breach the contract for their own benefit and put the onus on everyone else to solve the problem (including spending Conference $$$ to solve their breeches).

• Love

"NBC is effectively getting the third pick of games after FOX and then CBS and the September slate of games, reported by Brett McMurphy of the Action Network, seems to reflect that."

September slate in the article.

"NBC is effectively getting the third pick of games after FOX and then CBS and the September slate of games, reported by Brett McMurphy of the Action Network, seems to reflect that."

September slate in the article.

Mmmmhhhhhmmmmm, that's why NBC cried breach and said they were withholding $70 million in contract payments for those breaches (again, only one school mentioned).... and the B1G Commissioner instantly responded..... because NBC had no legitimate case. Right-o..... whatever you say.

It is quite clear that NBC took scUM @PSU next. It then alternates back to FOX (who holds 1/2 interest) - they took PSU @duhO$U, then back to NBC/CBS, CBS took Iowa @PSU.....
This is all conjecture by you, all/some/none of it may be correct. We don’t know the agreements specifics. See below:
scUM defaults on NBC's first selection and refuses to play with their lame claim that Warren doesn't have the right to negotiate their broadcast rights, tolerances, etc..... (which is bullshit the B1G Commissioner absolutely does when negotiating a media contract like this).... PSU is informed by NBC that scUM is refusing to play a Primetime Whiteout..... PSU negotiates a Primetime broadcast of Iowa game with CBS (the 3:30 Broadcaster) and the B1G grants the change in kickoff time to CBS....
If you are claiming PSU and CBS went outside the of the agreement to schedule the Iowa game, you are incorrect. CBS will be into their SEC 3:30 broadcasts by this week. We don’t know the specifics of how the 2023 season will completely work for CBS to televise as many B1G games as was reported. Their SEC schedule is out though.
PSU/CBS announce Whiteout game in NBC's contractual timeslot on 8/15/2023.
As Dr stated previously, NBC can show up to 2 prime time ND games this season. The weren’t passing up an opportunity to show tOSU @ ND as one of them. That opens up a prime time spot for CBS to fit in one of their B1G games that week.
NBC goes off and claims multiple contractual breaches
The week of tOSU/ND and Iowa/PSU isn’t a breach.

Reactions: doctornick
This is all conjecture by you, all/some/none of it may be correct. We don’t know the agreements specifics. See below:

If you are claiming PSU and CBS went outside the of the agreement to schedule the Iowa game, you are incorrect. CBS will be into their SEC 3:30 broadcasts by this week. We don’t know the specifics of how the 2023 season will completely work for CBS to televise as many B1G games as was reported. Their SEC schedule is out though.

As Dr stated previously, NBC can show up to 2 prime time ND games this season. The weren’t passing up an opportunity to show tOSU @ ND as one of them. That opens up a prime time spot for CBS to fit in one of their B1G games that week.

The week of tOSU/ND and Iowa/PSU isn’t a breach.

But scUM refusing to allow PSU to make the scUM @PSU their Primetime Whiteout on NBC only to allow CBS to move Iowa @PSU to a Primetime kickoff Whiteout only to compete directly with an NBC telecast sure would be.

Sparty is an unknown at this point. They could be decent but no one is predicting them to be anything great thus the MSU vs Mich games and the OSU vs MSU games can't be really exciting the NBC execs or CBS execs. Probably PSU vs Iowa is the #4 game and CBS snatched that one. Although, in my opinion, there is a precipitous drop in marquee value between a PSU vs Mich or PSU vs OSU and a PSU vs Iowa matchup. I'm sure a big ratings difference too.

I really hope something changes for next year. We have Ohio State at home and it is Allar's last year. We need a White Out prime time game with them.
Apparently FOX currently owns the Big 10's rights, not the conference, according to reports. If so, any deal is going to require FOX to agree and as such is likely to give FOX most of the top games. And as owner, FOX likely participated in all of these negotiations so nothing happening now should be a huge surprise, I suspect it's a lot of noise over minor contract language as things are finalized.

Apparently FOX currently owns the Big 10's rights, not the conference, according to reports. If so, any deal is going to require FOX to agree and as such is likely to give FOX most of the top games. And as owner, FOX likely participated in all of these negotiations so nothing happening now should be a huge surprise, I suspect it's a lot of noise over minor contract language as things are finalized.

Not technically correct - BTN owns the Broadcast Rights, not FOX. FOX owns the majority of BTN Equity (60%) - but that does not mean that they control BTN (a portion of FOX's equity could be passive and the B1G Conference may have a majority of Control Stock - IOW, FOX may get a majority of the profit, but not the control. It would be a conflict of interest and a failure of fiduciary obligation for the Conference to sell its control to a National Broadcaster - how precisely would FOX have an "arms length" negotiation with itself and CBS and NBC while representing a NFP University Sports Conference???).

Those who say that FOX controls BTN assume that their equity position is the same as their "control position", that is not necessarily true. Again, it almost certainly is not as it would be a huge lapse of fiduciary duty for the Conference to allow this as NBC could deal in their own interest rather than the Conference's interest with the Conference's extremely valuable assets.

Not technically correct - BTN owns the Broadcast Rights, not FOX. FOX owns the majority of BTN Equity (60%) - but that does not mean that they control BTN (a portion of FOX's equity could be passive and the B1G Conference may have a majority of Control Stock - IOW, FOX may get a majority of the profit, but not the control. It would be a conflict of interest and a failure of fiduciary obligation for the Conference to sell its control to a National Broadcaster - how precisely would FOX have an "arms length" negotiation with itself and CBS and NBC while representing a NFP University Sports Conference???).

Those who say that FOX controls BTN assume that their equity position is the same as their "control position", that is not necessarily true. Again, it almost certainly is not as it would be a huge lapse of fiduciary duty for the Conference to allow this as NBC could deal in their own interest rather than the Conference's interest with the Conference's extremely valuable assets.

Here is an article from the SBJ (Sports Business Journal) that discusses this exact situation. Here is a direct quote from the article:

Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren leads these meetings, of course. He has run the conference for three years and has final say on which company ends up with the rights. Kerry Kenny, the conference’s senior vice president of television, media, analytics and emerging platforms, also plays a big role during each of these meetings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT