ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting News

His brother is at 165. If he grows to that size, then we may have to decide if we'd rather have Duke.
If I had to choose I’m going to go with the proven guy at the weight but it doesn’t seem like Blaze will grow as big as his brother.
I really don’t know but it seems like we have a much better chance with Duke anyways. Blaze has his brother at Purdue and I’m sure tOSU are going after him hard. I bet he ends up at one of those unless Cael decides to pay him a lot of attention. As good as he is I just don’t see Cael doing that with kids we already have coming in. Duke on the other hand is a kid I could see Cael making a priority
Hopefully we could get both! 141 for Blaze and 149/157 for Duke. I also like Correa for depth at the upper weights 197/285.

Kid will need to add 40
Good Lbs and prove he can compete vs big men , that’s a huge ask, not everyone is Cassar, far from it
We are basking in the glow from an unprecedented recruiting and transfer period. That said our future HWT position is the most uncertain spot in the lineup IMO.

For every Snyder and Cassar that bump up from 197, there are likely dozens that fail, most miserably.

If the PSU benchmark is to fill the slot with an AA, we will just have to see. The latest wave of Heavy recruits has been pretty strong so the weight looks very solid for the next 5-6 years.

I was all in on Hopke, but in his wake, we only have the bigger Marisola brother. It's best not to second guess Cael by any means, but that weight class is not going to be a cake walk, and anyone who AAs is going to be very very good. If Cael can work his magic I will be impressed yet again.

We are basking in the glow from an unprecedented recruiting and transfer period. That said our future HWT position is the most uncertain spot in the lineup IMO.

For every Snyder and Cassar that bump up from 197, there are likely dozens that fail, most miserably.

If the PSU benchmark is to fill the slot with an AA, we will just have to see. The latest wave of Heavy recruits has been pretty strong so the weight looks very solid for the next 5-6 years.

I was all in on Hopke, but in his wake, we only have the bigger Marisola brother. It's best not to second guess Cael by any means, but that weight class is not going to be a cake walk, and anyone who AAs is going to be very very good. If Cael can work his magic I will be impressed yet again.
This kid is going to be fine and surprise a lot of people I like the brothers. Great pick ups

@smalls103 give us the run down on the class of 2025. I saw you posted your 2025 Class Ranking this morning. I’ve seen the star ratings in other sports and love them on your new rankings.

What are the needs? (If any)

Who does Cael and co. put on the priority list June 15th?

The only current 25 commit for PSU is Perry who is 26th on Willies board. The only other 25 who is already committed is Robideau to Minnesota. #2 Ladarion Lockett is assumed to be OKST bound and other than that it is a very open big board.

Reactions: hlstone and Ja1339
PSU and Ohio State have loaded up in the 2022-2024 classes. 2025 is a class that Iowa and Okie St needed to dominate. It will be interesting to see who takes advantage of a year that PSU probably won’t be very active in.

Reactions: hlstone
For 2025, looking at Willie's big board, I would like Austin Johnson as well as Jude Correa. Johnson makes a ton of sense being right in our backyard, a M2 kid and is a heavyweight, which is relatively open at PSU (since Cole Mirasola still has to grow into that weight) Jude Correa is just that good and you want him no matter what.

PJ Duke would make a ton of sense since he likely will be a 157. Same with Anthony Knox and maybe 133.

Other than that, Kollin Rath is just a +1 type kid. You go all in for him regardless.

Reactions: hlstone
For 2025, looking at Willie's big board, I would like Austin Johnson as well as Jude Correa. Johnson makes a ton of sense being right in our backyard, a M2 kid and is a heavyweight, which is relatively open at PSU (since Cole Mirasola still has to grow into that weight) Jude Correa is just that good and you want him no matter what.

PJ Duke would make a ton of sense since he likely will be a 157. Same with Anthony Knox and maybe 133.

Other than that, Kollin Rath is just a +1 type kid. You go all in for him regardless.
How could you mention Knox and not Blaze?

I agree we need either Correa or Johnson. I am not certain Mirasola will grow into the weight.

@smalls103 give us the run down on the class of 2025. I saw you posted your 2025 Class Ranking this morning. I’ve seen the star ratings in other sports and love them on your new rankings.

What are the needs? (If any)

Who does Cael and co. put on the priority list June 15th?
I listened to Willie’s First Word today on the 2025 Big Board and he’s thinking Duke likely has us and Cornell as top choices with us in the lead given his fit at 157 down the road.

Works for me. He also mentioned 2025 being light for us given how we loaded up, but that’s not a shock of course.

I heard Duke to Cornell as well. But Grey acts like they are getting everyone. Heard they were getting Messenbrink too.

I listened to Willie’s First Word today on the 2025 Big Board and he’s thinking Duke likely has us and Cornell as top choices with us in the lead given his fit at 157 down the road.

Works for me. He also mentioned 2025 being light for us given how we loaded up, but that’s not a shock of course.
I like it. Perfect fit for PSU! If he will be at 157 that would work best. Levi will be done in 2026. He redshirts 2025-26 and jumps into the line up 2026-27 season.

@smalls103 Which previous recruits would you compare Duke to?

Sealey plans to go 165.

The article, which is a year old before he committed to a program that will likely have two national champion caliber 165s when he gets there, references the 165 decision in conjunction with training for the Olympics at 74kg. If he is aiming for the 28 Olympics, that wouldn't rule out 157 for a year if it helps him get in the lineup (and the cut isn't bad by then). Going 165 out of the gate will be tough because Levi and Mesenbrink will both still be in the program and at that weight.

Reactions: zzs006 and RandyL
Sealy + Gibson + Facundo + Haynes + Mesenbrink + Barr + Ryder + Van Ness + Kasak = 9 wrestlers across 4 weights.

Cael always has a plan, and there are multiple staggered year redshirt & weight permutations to 'almost' make it work IMO.

No doubt we will have a hammer at 149-174 contending for a title for the next 4-5 years.

It's likely we lose 1 if not 2 names from that list as well. I have my ideas. Never has the team been so deep at so many weights. It's a unique and glorious time.

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyL
Kasak is at 141 and Ryder 184, so that's across 6 weights not 4.
Maybe, I think it's really hard to project Kasak as a career 141, most of what I have read is he is eyeing 149 in college. Barr, he's not there yet but his frame can definitely handle it. Both he and Facundo could add the weight pretty easily to help solve 174 & 184 slots.

Sealy + Gibson + Facundo + Haynes + Mesenbrink + Barr + Ryder + Van Ness + Kasak = 9 wrestlers across 4 weights.

Cael always has a plan, and there are multiple staggered year redshirt & weight permutations to 'almost' make it work IMO.

No doubt we will have a hammer at 149-174 contending for a title for the next 4-5 years.

It's likely we lose 1 if not 2 names from that list as well. I have my ideas. Never has the team been so deep at so many weights. It's a unique and glorious time.
Kasak seems like he’ll lose atleast one year. If he redshirts this year and decides to go 141 he’ll lose one year if he plans on 149 he will lose two. I can see him potentially leaving. Hope he sticks it out.

Sealey seems to have to lose atleast one year after his redshirt wether he goes 157 or 165. Unless he beats out Haines, Mesinbrink or Facundo.

I don’t see where the older Gibson will fit in.

Facundo/Messenbrink/Haines/Barr will be a mess with Carter having two more years and no plans on moving up it seems. Someone will likely have to leave or lose a year or two.

Ryder wrestled 189 this past season so 184 should be his spot. Doesn’t seem like he lacks the strength to wrestle at 184. 165/174 seem to be so stacked I wonder if it forces Barr/Facundo to go up to 184.

I am a little skeptical about Mesinbrink. He looks incredible this last year wrestling freestyle. But his best folkstyle result is 7th at Super 32 with Ryder and Sealey both out placing him.

Totally agree with the wait and see approach with Mesenbrink. The way some people are talking about him, you'd think we just got O'Toole to transfer.

But the reason for optimism about Mesenbrink is the way he dominates free. Endless attacking and pace. Askren kids also tend to be pretty good fundamentally on top and bottom. Yes, he placed 7th at Super 32 losing to younger guys like Angelo Ferrari and Joe Sealey but I don't think it was a case of him being stuck on bottom forever (would need to rewatch) They were all one score matches. Let me remind you Levi lost to MJ Gaitan his senior year at Super 32.

@James P. Whitters III said he's just a kid who discovered his passion for wrestling later and his dad despite being an elite coach never pressured him until he was ready. That might explain why he came out of nowhere later and was committed to Cal Baptist at first.

Reactions: RandyL and nitlion6
Rachel Dratch Television GIF by Saturday Night Live

Kasak seems like he’ll lose atleast one year. If he redshirts this year and decides to go 141 he’ll lose one year if he plans on 149 he will lose two. I can see him potentially leaving. Hope he sticks it out.

Sealey seems to have to lose atleast one year after his redshirt wether he goes 157 or 165. Unless he beats out Haines, Mesinbrink or Facundo.

Facundo/Messenbrink/Haines/Barr will be a mess with Carter having two more years and no plans on moving up it seems. Someone will likely have to leave or lose a year or two.

Ryder wrestled 189 this past season so 184 should be his spot. Doesn’t seem like he lacks the strength to wrestle at 184. 165/174 seem to be so stacked I wonder if it forces Barr/Facundo to go up to 184.

I am a little skeptical about Mesinbrink. He looks incredible this last year wrestling freestyle. But his best folkstyle result is 7th at Super 32 with Ryder and Sealey both out placing him.
We’re doomed ™

The elder Gibson always projected as a depth guy.

Ryder wrestled at 189 this last season in high school, yes, but recently was at 80 kg (176 lb) for the US Open. Others have speculated that Ryder could go 174 in college with Barr at 184, and I'm starting to buy into that possibility. But either Ryder or Barr will be at 184.

Does appear to be a pending logjam at 157/165 with Haines, Facundo, Messenbrink, and Sealy. Facundo will have to step up his offense and mat skills, or he may get passed by by one of the others. Regardless, makes one wonder about adding PJ Duke (even as good as he is) to the mix, unless all these guys outgrow 157 and leave that weight open for Duke.

Reactions: Ja1339
I believe 1-4 recruits of the 2023 and 24 classes will ultimately greyshirt before enrolling. It’s the only way guys won’t miss multiple years of starting without having to transfer. Kasak and Barr this summer/fall will be our first indication of a potential plan forward.

I'm not skeptical at all. We just got Cody Chittum (at ISU) who I think will have a very solid career, but I would rather have MM than anybody coming on the scene this year or next. I don't care about his youth losses. I don't care about his high school losses. Wrestling is here and now. He is far better than those guys today. I don't think he would likely beat Carr or KOT this year, but he will win 157 if he goes this year. Cael will have tough decisions working all these guys in but I will be very surprised if MM isn't winning titles in the coming years barring serious injury.

I'm not skeptical at all. We just got Cody Chittum (at ISU) who I think will have a very solid career, but I would rather have MM than anybody coming on the scene this year or next. I don't care about his youth losses. I don't care about his high school losses. Wrestling is here and now. He is far better than those guys today. I don't think he would likely beat Carr or KOT this year, but he will win 157 if he goes this year. Cael will have tough decisions working all these guys in but I will be very surprised if MM isn't winning titles in the coming years barring serious injury.
giphy.gif

Reactions: NittanyChris
Kasak seems like he’ll lose at least one year.....

Sealey seems to have to lose atleast one year...

Facundo/Messenbrink/Haines/Barr will be a mess with Carter having two more years .....

I am a little skeptical about Mesinbrink.....
There is no question the 149-184 space, presents endless options and combinations in terms of grey shirt, red shirt, portal in or out, and so on.

One certainty we can take away is some kids take to Cael's system faster than others.

I honestly don't trust blue chip expectations alone for incoming hammers. For every Levi who developed before or eyes week to week at 18 years old as a TF, there are the Beau Bartlett's (granted the bump up unfairness) who seem to finally have it 'click' in year 3.

Picking the odd man out at this point in time is futile. I would not be suprised if Kasak exceeds expectations significantly relative to some of the others.

The kids who 'win' these slots, at what weight, or when they win the slot, might surprise.

It might be fun to have a 2026 lineup contest, and see who wins. No doubt it's most likely noone gets a 100%.

I love your enthusiasm, but he’s gotta get by the national runner-up in his own room first.

Accomplish that, and things could get very interesting.

I love your enthusiasm, but he’s gotta get by the national runner-up in his own room first.

Accomplish that, and things could get very interesting.
I'm an old has been/never was but the last guy I felt had such a high ceiling this young was Jake Varner. I think the world of Levi's ability, but I will be surprised if Levi can best MM in freestyle or folkstyle. I do believe the matches will be high scoring as both guys really bring it. Levi is a little stronger but MM has a little more scrambling ability imo. Time will tell for all of these guys. I just haven't watched a guy this age improve this quickly in quite some time.

I'm an old has been/never was but the last guy I felt had such a high ceiling this young was Jake Varner. I think the world of Levi's ability, but I will be surprised if Levi can best MM in freestyle or folkstyle. I do believe the matches will be high scoring as both guys really bring it. Levi is a little stronger but MM has a little more scrambling ability imo. Time will tell for all of these guys. I just haven't watched a guy this age improve this quickly in quite some time.
giphy.gif

We’re doomed ™
haha obviously good for us. It’s a good problem to have. I just know with how the portal has been lately there is possibility of guys leaving.
The elder Gibson always projected as a depth guy.

Ryder wrestled at 189 this last season in high school, yes, but recently was at 80 kg (176 lb) for the US Open. Others have speculated that Ryder could go 174 in college with Barr at 184, and I'm starting to buy into that possibility. But either Ryder or Barr will be at 184.

Does appear to be a pending logjam at 157/165 with Haines, Facundo, Messenbrink, and Sealy. Facundo will have to step up his offense and mat skills, or he may get passed by by one of the others. Regardless, makes one wonder about adding PJ Duke (even as good as he is) to the mix, unless all these guys outgrow 157 and leave that weight open for Duke.
I just don’t see Gibson getting in anywhere.

I agree there is possibility of Ryder going down but also see his style of wrestling being a better fit for the upper weights. Barr will be a solid 174.

157/165 does seem like an issue. If Duke redshirts he won’t be in the line up until the 2026-27 season. Will Levi & Facundo be done by then?
Totally agree with the wait and see approach with Mesenbrink. The way some people are talking about him, you'd think we just got O'Toole to transfer.

But the reason for optimism about Mesenbrink is the way he dominates free. Endless attacking and pace. Askren kids also tend to be pretty good fundamentally on top and bottom. Yes, he placed 7th at Super 32 losing to younger guys like Angelo Ferrari and Joe Sealey but I don't think it was a case of him being stuck on bottom forever (would need to rewatch) They were all one score matches. Let me remind you Levi lost to MJ Gaitan his senior year at Super 32.

@James P. Whitters III said he's just a kid who discovered his passion for wrestling later and his dad despite being an elite coach never pressured him until he was ready. That might explain why he came out of nowhere later and was committed to Cal Baptist at first.
I really don’t see him beating Haines or Facundo in Folkstyle. Starting to believe Mesinbrink wanted PSU more than PSU wanted Mesinbrink. Which is awesome! But I still love Facundo and Haines as our guys!

haha obviously good for us. It’s a good problem to have. I just know with how the portal has been lately there is possibility of guys leaving.

I just don’t see Gibson getting in anywhere.

I agree there is possibility of Ryder going down but also see his style of wrestling being a better fit for the upper weights. Barr will be a solid 174.

157/165 does seem like an issue. If Duke redshirts he won’t be in the line up until the 2026-27 season. Will Levi & Facundo be done by then?

I really don’t see him beating Haines or Facundo in Folkstyle. Starting to believe Mesinbrink wanted PSU more than PSU wanted Mesinbrink. Which is awesome! But I still love Facundo and Haines as our guys!
Haven't seen much of Ryder, but not clear why or how his "style" is better suited for 184 than 174. PSU has had a couple guys who were pretty successful at both weights, using the same "style".

Also haven't seen much of Mesenbrink, and it's very possible he's better at free than at folk. But so is Facundo. And we've seen Facundo struggle to score in folk against the better guys in the weight class, and also go 0-2 at NCAAs in 2023. To my knowledge there is little data to assess how the two match up in folk, but at this point I sure wouldn't say Mesenbrink can't ever surpass Facundo.

Reactions: goldenanimal
In the nicest possible way, Facundo might find himself out of a job unless he takes a large offensive leap forwards. Messenbrink is going to win more matches based on offensive output alone, and score far more bonus points at NCAAs.

Unfortunately, I see a lot of similarities in Barr. Both have long frames and a lot of the same tendencies. They both have a very hard time setting up shots and scoring on good opponents. Shooting from space with no set up is a great way to get countered for 2 by college wrestlers. For his sake, I hope either he or Ryder move up to 184, because I don't see him beating Ryder after his senior year at M2/NLWC and then a RS. Don't think he'd beat him right now.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT