ADVERTISEMENT

PSU-Only Recruiting News

Sweet. Is there a listing of all the placers somewhere?
Link in the tweeted article, though it's in German so you'll need to open it in Google Translate.

BTW, noticed in the article that Sealey's hometown is listed as Bear Creek Twp ... wondering if that means he'll get in-state tuition at PSU. (Lilledahl's is listed as St. Charles MO.)

Reactions: Sullivan
Link in the tweeted article, though it's in German so you'll need to open it in Google Translate.

BTW, noticed in the article that Sealey's hometown is listed as Bear Creek Twp ... wondering if that means he'll get in-state tuition at PSU. (Lilledahl's is listed as St. Charles MO.)
Thanks.

We missed this one from early March: 2023, UT 3x state champ, this year at 132. Fargo AA. Won the Dave Schultz award for UT.

Tough kid:

6A wrestling: Back on 2 legs, Mountain Ridge's Garcia shooting for elusive 2nd title

Posted - Feb. 18, 2022 at 9:30 p.m.​

OREM — Before his 126-pound quarterfinal match at the 6A state wrestling tournament Friday afternoon, Kyison Garcia turned to one of his assistant coaches and quipped, "this is a lot easier on two legs."

After all he's been through, a shot at a second state title remains open for the Mountain Ridge grappler — and that's all he can ask.

One year after lumbering to a third-place finish on one leg, soft-braced and booted up following a spiral fracture in his tibia and fibula and a dislocation in his left leg, Garcia has his sights set on a second state championship.

The broken leg cost him a shot at one of four state titles; it won't cost him another.

"My dad showed me a picture of us at the state tournament, with my medal and on crutches, and he said, 'remember this day.' Those words have stuck with me all day, and they're going to going into tomorrow," Garcia said.

"I'm going to put on a show and make it fun for the fans."

About a month before the state tournament, Garcia fractured his leg in two places and dislocated his fibula, his dad said. The teenager was two weeks clear of surgery before the divisional tournament, where he and his father Patrick — one of his wrestling coaches since he was a toddler — devised a rig in consultation with the family's doctor that would keep his non-weight bearing leg as protected as possible while he wrestled.

He didn't recover until last December. But he was able to make it through the tournament and finish third, thanks to teammates Dalton Anderson and Braden Stevens and coach Dwayne Henry who pushed him forward.

Garcia wouldn't be able to stand on that leg, so he'd have to significantly alter his wrestling style. But after seeing the contraption, they gave it a go en route to a third-place finish.

"I competed at some other big tournaments, and just wasn't quite there physically or mentally," Garcia said. "I wasn't training how I wanted to train. It took me a while to get my mind put back in the right spot again, to where I was ready to do whatever necessary to win."

It wasn't perfect, but neither is life, his dad Patrick Garcia said.

"You're not going to have a perfect takedown or setup; that's not the way it works in any sport," he added. "Nothing's ever going to be ideal. You just have to learn to adapt as an athlete, and that's it. You do what you have to do."

It's not the first time Garcia, a junior who is being recruited by several Ivy League and Big Ten wrestling programs, has fought through adversity. Before his freshman season at Mountain Ridge, Garcia lost his mother after a two-year battle with an autoimmune disease — taking away one of his biggest supporters. Every time he steps on the mat, he does it for her.

Just a few months after her passing, Garcia won his first championship. The sport of wrestling, one he's fought in from the time he was a toddler with his father's club Team Prestige through his all-star laden prep career, helped carry him through.

"He's just a good all-around athlete, a good student, works hard," said Patrick Garcia of his son, who also boasts a 4.0 grade-point average. "He just loves the sport, not just likes it. Very few wrestlers love the sport quite like him."

His injury, in many ways, was just another trial to overcome — and one that taught him several inmportant life lessons.

"I think I just want to live in the moment," Kyison Garcia said. "Last year I had an opportunity taken away from me … and my coaches helped me realize I only get to do this a few times. It's important to go out and wrestle hard, and do what you love.

"I knew I always loved wrestling, but I didn't realize how much I'd miss it when it went away. It was rough not being able to compete like I wanted, not being able to train. When it was taken away from me, it was really hard."

It is odd that Shapiro is on his updated senior Big Board, but not on the multi-grade version.
On the senior Big Board it is Shapiro #1, followed by Carroll, Welsh, and Barr. Kueter is 6 and Kasak is 9. Gabe Arnold 19, Ryder Block is 26 and Braeden Davis is 46. Cael Nasdeo is 92.
i don't include kids in the regular rankings that are not competing in hs. they can't lose, therefore they would stay in the same position in perpetuity.

that includes greyshirts, injured kids, and the Valiant Prep (AZ) kids that don't wrestle in-season.

Not sure if old news, but didn’t see it posted here. Forgive me if I’m late to the party. Zack Ryder to skip last year of HS and moving to State College! Where would he fit in our line up? 197 in two years?

Not sure if old news, but didn’t see it posted here. Forgive me if I’m late to the party. Zack Ryder to skip last year of HS and moving to State College! Where would he fit in our line up? 197 in two years?
Starting to think he won’t get that big. Wrestled 176 this weekend and he’s pretty well filled out. Don’t think he’s really cutting much either. Think he’ll be 74/84. Then Barr goes the other weight and Mirasolas round it out

Penn State routinely adds high level guys like that (Pierce, Nasdeo, Weiss etc) and it goes extremely overlooked in the team’s success
BTW, did any of you watch Connor Pierce vs Cardenas this weekend? He wrestled him tough. Took him down with under a minute left to make it 6-7, then walked right into a double on the whistle. Gave up a desperation TD as time expired to lose 11-6. The kid has game. Just no room at the Inn.

PSU Class Of 2025

A little over a month away from recruiting the class of 2025. Who does Cael need to call first?

Top 5
1) PJ Duke (Probably the biggest recruit in recent years. Has ties to PSU. Will fill in well for Van Ness or Haines at 149/157)
2) Marcus Blaze(seems like he has the frame to get bigger and will fill in well after Nagao and Bartlett are done)
3) Jude Correa (Great Folkstyle wrestler you hope can move up to heavyweight. With teammates Sealey and Lilledahl already committed it should make for an easy transition)
4) Sahakian/Johnson/Stillwell (Sahakian is not likely as he is a CA wrestler. Stillwell just knocked off Sahakian at U17 but don’t know if there are any ties to psu from Missouri. Johnson is from PA and trains at M2. He seems the most likely of the three. Need a HWT!!)
5) Kollin Rath (Would make for a great replacement when Beau is done at 141. Also a PA Native)

PSU Class Of 2025

A little over a month away from recruiting the class of 2025. Who does Cael need to call first?

Top 5
1) PJ Duke (Probably the biggest recruit in recent years. Has ties to PSU. Will fill in well for Van Ness or Haines at 149/157)
2) Marcus Blaze(seems like he has the frame to get bigger and will fill in well after Nagao and Bartlett are done)
3) Jude Correa (Great Folkstyle wrestler you hope can move up to heavyweight. With teammates Sealey and Lilledahl already committed it should make for an easy transition)
4) Sahakian/Johnson/Stillwell (Sahakian is not likely as he is a CA wrestler. Stillwell just knocked off Sahakian at U17 but don’t know if there are any ties to psu from Missouri. Johnson is from PA and trains at M2. He seems the most likely of the three. Need a HWT!!)
5) Kollin Rath (Would make for a great replacement when Beau is done at 141. Also a PA Native)
I’d be surprised if they land a high level heavyweight. Mirasola is gonna be wrestling heavyweight in college.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT