ADVERTISEMENT

PSU (& Philly non-) dominance

The GIA guys want to talk about one weight (125) while we have 4 or 5 weights that have done or well or better over the last 10 years compared to their results.
over the last ten seasons (14-23), if my champion math and recollection is correct:
125-41: IA 5, PSU 5
147-74: IA 0, PSU 14
184-285: IA 0, PSU 9

This goes back a ways, but the Phillies blowing the NL pennant in 1964 has to be on a list of great disappointments.

In mid-September, the Phillies were up 6 games with 17 remaining. They proceeded to lose 13 of the next 15 games (thanks in part to Manager Gene Mauch's dubious strategy of pitching his aces Chris Short and Jim Bunning till their arms nearly fell off), and the St. Louis Cardinals won the NL by one game.

Classic collapse. The World Series drought continued until 1980.
Are you all forgetting about this year. Now that was ****ing disappointing if I ever saw it I still can't believe the Phillies lost and didn't make the world series.

Are you all forgetting about this year. Now that was ****ing disappointing if I ever saw it I still can't believe the Phillies lost and didn't make the world series.
The Phillies probably should've made the Series, but this was a flawed team. Too many injuries, not enough pitching, too many low-OBP hitters, too many hot-and-cold hitters, and a manager who overused key players (especially C and RP) throughout the year. Starting a AA outfielder in the playoffs didn't help either.

Once they got to the playoffs, both a high ceiling and a low floor. Could've beaten anybody, also could've lost to anybody (except maybe the Braves).

But they were the big winners of the Eagles collapsing. Suddenly nobody remembers the Phillies not making the Series.

The PIrates are karma for Pittsburgh fans no-showing Game 7 of the playoffs against the Braves in the early 1990s.

If you can't be bothered to show up for Game 7 of the playoffs, you don't deserve a franchise, and you don't deserve to bitch about your lack of franchise.
Royals fans had to hear the latest GM say we will win when it’s time to win while lobbying for a new stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT