ADVERTISEMENT

PSU potential starting Line up

THANKS all. Out of pocket for a week or so with Mrs. Roar. Just able to catch up today.

Oh, and a page or so back there was reference to Cael's feelings about Bo at 184. He was completely neutral to the situation...as well as other's regarding the team.

That's an interesting observation; successful head coaches in many sports are notorious control freaks. Cael is more of a go with the flow guy and the individual athlete should be pursuing his own dream. Works well for this coach, and the best athletes are drawn to him.

Last edited:
.. Cael is more of a go with the flow guy and the individual athlete should be pursuing his own dream. ...
Instead of "go with the flow", I like Phil Jackson's phrase to apply to Cael of "transformational coaching, not transactional coaching." Transformational means you help the kid change into someone mature. Transactional means you tell the kid what to do. (Phil got the phrase from someone else, maybe a book, as I recall.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jtothemfp
Instead of "go with the flow", I like Phil Jackson's phrase to apply to Cael of "transformational coaching, not transactional coaching." Transformational means you help the kid change into someone mature. Transactional means you tell the kid what to do. (Phil got the phrase from someone else, maybe a book, as I recall.)
So Cael is wrestlings zen master?

Reactions: Dogwelder
So Cael is wrestlings zen master?
Though more inclined to Mormon Tea than Peyote.

Ohhhhhhhh!

Andrew_Dice_Clay_2011_MTV_Video_Music_Awards_hpZYzCVh0BDl.jpg

I think the best parallel is John Wooden, which is where Phil might have received the message.

Whatever the starting lineup just jacked the season is starting soon. Football starting to rebound from the sanctions make it a little easier to wait.

Reactions: T J
Has the following question already been discussed? Do we believe that Joseph can make weight at 165 for a whole season and still wrestle to his high level?

Though more inclined to Mormon Tea than Peyote.

Ohhhhhhhh!

Andrew_Dice_Clay_2011_MTV_Video_Music_Awards_hpZYzCVh0BDl.jpg
Between Cael and Jackson, one of them can build a roster.
That's actually an accurate assessment. And I've heard this from other Division I coaches. Cael is doing it differently and better than everyone else.

Can anyone confirm his "in-practice" demeanor?
Practice Begins For A New Wrestling Season -

We look in on what happens with new wrestlers,
in between stretching, dodge ball and basic fundamentals sessions
under the Zen Master...​

Zen+Bizarro-07-22-12-WEB+bizarrocomics+com.jpg
This is great haha the rest of the wrestling world needs to know this!!!

Has the following question already been discussed? Do we believe that Joseph can make weight at 165 for a whole season and still wrestle to his high level?
Keeping in mind that last season the kid was obviously in the middle of a growth spurt that saw him grow from a possible 149 pounder to a beastly 165 pounder I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about whether or not Vincenzo has the necessary discipline to maintain his weight.

Reactions: bdv and Dogwelder
Keeping in mind that last season the kid was obviously in the middle of a growth spurt that saw him grow from a possible 149 pounder to a beastly 165 pounder I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about whether or not Vincenzo has the necessary discipline to maintain his weight.
I wasn't thinking about his discipline so much as possible Rasheed-like "body is too big". So, I am especially wondering whether people have seen him recently or know his recent weight.

I wasn't thinking about his discipline so much as possible Rasheed-like "body is too big". So, I am especially wondering whether people have seen him recently or know his recent weight.
No inside info, or recent sighting.

I recall seeing a picture (maybe on this forum?) in the off-season of some of the wrestlers, including Rasheed and Cenzo Joseph, relaxing and cutting up.

It was stunning to see the height and apparent overall size difference between those two and realize they were each associated with 165 during the 2015-16 season.

Not a bad idea, but I suspect that's too big of a jump too quickly.

Tan Tom had 2 guys do it -- with mixed results -- Nick Heflin backpedaled all the way into the national finals (in a similarly weak weight class), Mark Martin DNQ. IIRC both of them had pretty huge cuts to 174, where Bo didn't.

IMO if Bo had targeted 197 all along -- lifted to put on 20 lb of muscle -- then he might well have been in the finals against Cox this year. But he didn't.

If he goes 197 this year, he's giving up 13 lb of muscle. He'll have a decided quickness edge, but a lot of guys will turn into mini-heavies against him -- do everything to slow him down to a 3-2 type match. Doing that 3x-4x (to reach the finals) introduces quite a bit of risk.

Tend to agree - he would have to adjust to a much more "power oriented" style at 197 as well even if he could add the quality density that quickly which is doubtful imho.

Have no idea what he weighs, but I saw him leaving campus the other night he looks ripped. As Roar noted, I do not believe he ever sees 174.

Referencing LP's bump. I have seen Bo at a couple volleyball games and he is so much thicker than last year. There is no doubt in my mind he now possesses the horsepower to wrestle and be every bit as effective (dominate) at 184 as he was at 174. However, I had the pleasure of talking briefly with Cutch, and Cutch has always been thick and sturdy - this year he is not just thick but holy crap is he ripped.

Should be a heck of a fun wrestle off if you are privileged enough to be allowed to witness it.

Have no idea what he weighs, but I saw him leaving campus the other night he looks ripped. As Roar noted, I do not believe he ever sees 174.

Referencing LP's bump. I have seen Bo at a couple volleyball games and he is so much thicker than last year. There is no doubt in my mind he now possesses the horsepower to wrestle and be every bit as effective (dominate) at 184 as he was at 174. However, I had the pleasure of talking briefly with Cutch, and Cutch has always been thick and sturdy - this year he is not just thick but holy crap is he ripped.

Should be a heck of a fun wrestle off if you are privileged enough to be allowed to witness it.
If Nickal beats Cutch then I guess Cutch wrestles off with Morelli and Rasheed at 174?

Time to explain my cryptic post from a couple pages back. The 6 weight classes are 125, 133, 165, 174, 184, and 197, with 184 a very slight ??. A scoop? No. My sources are always impeccable, I know more than most and less than a few, and will never ever run to this or any board with information that has been entrusted me. May post an occasional cryptic message to get the craziness back to a worthwhile discussion.

So, I have seen 4 differing viewpoints about where Bo Nickal is going to wrestle.

Basically, I have it narrowed down to either 174 or 184, lmao.

Reactions: RoarLions1
So, I have seen 4 differing viewpoints about where Bo Nickal is going to wrestle.

Basically, I have it narrowed down to either 174 or 184, lmao.
Except for JP's post that Nickal certified at 184.

I've always been a fan of McCutcheon but I can't see him beating Nickal. Sorry. Bo is a special kid and should be a returning NCAA champ. You never know when teammates wrestle each other but I don't see MM taking him down. My hope is Cutch can make and maintain 174. I'd like to see Rasheed head to 197 even if he isn't big enough for the weight yet. If he keeps growing like he has been, he could be dynamite there in the future.

Reactions: hlstone
From an outsider's perspective I hear a lot of Rasheed to 197, but he would seem to have solid potential at 174 wouldn't he?

From an outsider's perspective I hear a lot of Rasheed to 197, but he would seem to have solid potential at 174 wouldn't he?

Yes he does. I think proposing Rasheed go to 197 is because lots of fans (including me!) really like Bo, Cutch, and Rasheed and are trying to figure out how to get them all in the lineup ;-) Probably nothing more than that. Up to Cael and the boys to figure this all out on and off the mat.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
So JP's (10-rated!) info says the wrestle-off should already have happened. Nothing at all? I'll just take John Doe's silence as indication that Cutch lost by 10

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT