ADVERTISEMENT

PSU rises in US News ratings.

Its a start. The freefall ends!

c466f367-15e0-463d-96ec-4ab4fe3caafa_text.gif

As with any sort of composite ranking, you need to look closely at what the individual metrics are. For example, I believe USNWR considers "affordability" which is not something PSU will score well in. That doesn't mean that the academic experience is worse at PSU, just that it might not be as accessible to everyone (which might be a bad thing, but if you are arguing about the quality of the school affordability doesn't affect quality).

Other rankings systems have considered things like "on campus parking" and "diversity" -- not that either of those things are bad but they don't (in themselves, especially "Parking") affect the quality of education.

Tied with MSU for 10th in the BIG.
These rankings are infamously unkind to Land Grant Universities. We get the double whammy as we have a large teaching college to go with ag and forestry. Like Michigan State, cost kills us as well. Several other changes to their rating structure give an artificial advantage to urban schools like Maryland. It is all how you count.

I’m confused. Is USNWR now an acceptable source? The past few years it was derided as nonsense and not an accurate ranking. ;)

These rankings are infamously unkind to Land Grant Universities. We get the double whammy as we have a large teaching college to go with ag and forestry. Like Michigan State, cost kills us as well. Several other changes to their rating structure give an artificial advantage to urban schools like Maryland. It is all how you count.
16 of the top 32 schools are Land Grant.

I’m confused. Is USNWR now an acceptable source? The past few years it was derided as nonsense and not an accurate ranking. ;)
I guess if being tied for 10th place out of 13 schools (Northwestern is a Private school) is ok then yes it's acceptable. If we use this years rankings we'll come in slightly better next year as we'll be tied for 12th out of 16 teams since UCLA and Washington are ranked higher and Oregon is ranked lower. Thank goodness USC is a Private school. However, if we look at our 60th ranking in the National category we'll slip to 14th out of 18 schools from our current 11th out of 14.

Florida State turned things around after he left iirc.
I’ll say it again - I was in Tallahassee shortly after Baron left. I was at the hotel and there were a bunch of fsu trustees - the consensus was although they were not going to fire him they were very happy when he went to psu - and they made zero attempt to keep him!

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Florida State turned things around after he left iirc.
Yep, FSU is currently number 23 on the list of Public Universities.

Here is a 2014 news release from PSU. Oh how the mighty have fallen. In this release they claim to be number 2 among Publics, but if you look at the second link you'll see we were actually number 6 among publics. UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Virginia, Michigan, and UNC are listed ahead of us in the National rankings.

Reactions: fastlax16
I’ll say it again - I was in Tallahassee shortly after Baron left. I was at the hotel and there were a bunch of fsu trustees - the consensus was although they were not going to fire him they were very happy when he went to psu - and they made zero attempt to keep him!
Barron was an embarrassment and glad he is gone. Certainly feel that he is one reason for our decline after he was hired. But hard to believe his leaving is the reason for such a quick rebound. Could Bendaputi have made such a big difference so soon?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT