ADVERTISEMENT

PSU vs Iowa predictions?

What I’m getting at is that the individual records look good until you start looking at who they wrestled. Not much to see.
Using Intermat Rankings.

Penn St. 125, Davis. Ranked opponents 3-0. Wins 6 DeAugustino, 13 Kaylor and 31 Berginic.

Iowa. 125, Ayala. Ranked opponents. 6-3. Wins over 10 Volk, 12 McKee (twice), 13 Smith, 24 Terukina, and 27 Griffin. Losses to 1 Ramos, 6 DeAugustino, and 13 Kaylor.

Penn St. 133 Nagao. Ranked opponents 0-3. Losses 1 Crookham, 4 Ragusin, and 11 Bouzakis.

Iowa. 133 Schriever. Ranked opponents 2-2. Wins over 21 Rini and 30 Madrigal. Losses 4 Ragusin and 19 Van Dee.

Penn St. 141 Bartlett. Ranked opponents. 8-0. Wins 3 Mendez, 10 Lemley, 12 Cornella, 15 Hines, 18 Belton, 21 Miller, 23 Fongaro, and 29 Hamdan.

Iowa. 141 Woods. Ranked opponents 8-1. Wins over 5 McNeil, 7 Hardy, 9 Echemendia 14 Koderhandt, 16 Composto, 18 Belton, 20 Vombaur, and 32 Clark. Loss to 10 Lemley.

Penn St. 149 Kasak. Ranked opponents. 3-0. Wins 11 D’Emilio, 14 Rooks, and 19 Singleton.

Iowa. 149 Rathjen. Ranked opponents 1-2. Win over 17 Roberts and Losses to 1 Lovett and 9 Webster.

Penn St. 157 Haines. Ranked opponents 5-0. Wins 10 Lewan, 21 Saldate, 24 Brignola (twice), and 29 Wilcox.

Iowa. 157 Franek. Ranked opponents. 5-2. Wins over 7 Robb, 14 Chittum, 16 Swensen, 18 Chumbley, and 20 Blaze. Losses to 4 Blockhus and 10 Lewan.

Penn St. 165 Mesenbrink. Ranked opponents 5-0. Wins 9 Fish, 10 Amine, 18 Cassella, 19 Hepner, and 22 Lillard.

Iowa. 165 Caliendo. Ranked opponents 5-1. Wins 16 Taylor, 20 Mayfield, 27 Brenner, 32 Buell, and 33 Moore. Loss to 2 Carr.

Penn St. 174 Starocci. Ranked opponents 2-0. Wins 6 Incontrera and 11 Welsh.

Iowa. 174 Kennedy. Ranked opponents. 4-2. Wins over 8 Ruth, 19 Gaitan, 32 Baumann, and 33 Wilson. Losses to 3 Griffith and 6 Incontrera.

Penn St. 184 Truax. Ranked opponents. 2-2. Wins over 15 Malczewski and 18 Bullock. Losses to 4 Munoz and 23 Rogotzke.

Iowa. 184 Riggins. Ranked opponents. 0-6. Losses to 3 Pinto, 5 Salazar, 17 Hale, 26 Ayzerov (twice) and 31 Connell.

Penn St. 197 Brooks. Ranked opponents. 5-0. Wins over 5 Smith, 21 Geog, 28 Rademacher, 30 Wisler, and 33 Sollars.

Iowa. 197 Glazier. Ranked opponents. 4-0. Wins over 13 Allred, 20 Joles (twice) and 28 Rademacher.

Penn St. 285 Kerkvliet. Ranked opponents. 6-0. Wins over 6 Davison, 7 Feldman, 9 Taylor (twice), 15 Trephan and 24 McDermott.

Iowa. 285 Hill. Ranked opponents. 0-3. Losses to 3 Bastida, 6 Davison, and 24 McDermott.

You’re missing the part where the Iowa guys have wrestled a lot more matches. You know - that pesky post where I explained what I meant when you questioned me.

But congrats on all the non D1 wins regardless.
I didn’t list any non-D1 wins. I compared each weight against ranked opponents only. Is that not a fair comparison? Your guys have fared better against ranked opponents and are a better team.
But that’s not enough. Now you try to diminish Iowa’s opponents when the facts are they have wrestled tougher competition than you believe. Its ok. Everyone knows you guys will win the national title this year. Be happy with that.

Last edited:
I didn’t list any non-D1 wins. I compared each weight against ranked opponents only. Is that not a fair comparison? Penn St has a better overall record against ranked opponents so not sure why you are dismissing this. However you stated Iowa opponents “are not much to see” which I proved wrong.
Lol. Just because you didn’t list it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: ccdiver
I just went to bed but thought I’d check out the latest Iowa vs PSU banter before I switch off the lights. It’s interesting how the back and forth posts become more combative as we get closer to the dual. I wonder if the wrestlers are experiencing the same increase in tension.

I’m pretty sure we’re talking about 2 different things.
FYI - not taking any sides here but when I was in school and the NCAA tournament didn’t have any D restrictions, there were a pretty good number of guys who came from non D1 schools that ended up at the top of the podium in March.

Reactions: NCPsuFan
Anyone else look at this vid and see what I see? There is one guy, full sleeves and layers, working hard at more than just loosening up and stretching. Anyone think Levi is having a tough time with 157? It feels a little late in the season for this, to me. Anyone?
Once again: Levi is the first wrestler in history to have trouble with his cut AND perform better in the 3rd/OT than in the 1st.

"I'm not worried about Drake beating Davis at all. I actually see a path for a major. I see multiple takedowns by Drake and he'll feed off of the home crowd. And Davis will be backing up Lilledahl next year. He's not the same level of recruit that Drake or Luke were/are."

Lurking on HR, this is an interesting take, There's nothing wrong with taking Drake at all, I see a lot of Penn State fans saying the same. Especially at home. There's always a path to a major with 3 point takedowns also.

But it seems his logic is because Davis was a mid tier recruit in HS. You'd think that goes out the door at this point now that he has actual college results which includes beating DeAugustino and Kaylor, which Drake failed to do.

I guess Riggins should be a favorite over Truax seeing how Riggins was a solid HS recruit (Top 25) and Truax probably wasn't even ranked! How in the world was 73rd ranked 2021 recruit Michael Caliendo able to beat Top 5 2020 recruit Pat Kennedy?
Also I think Davis struggling in his match with kilkeary placed a lot of doubt in the minds of these fans. Imo kilkeary gave it his all in that dual ,probably lots of family,friends attending his return to pa in a huge setting. Latrobe is under 2 hour drive. More pumped for this rematch than wrestling at an edinboro tourney as potential red shirt nonstarter for the Buckeyes. Funny how fans do a 180 turn in opinion based on one match.

Using Intermat Rankings.

Penn St. 125, Davis. Ranked opponents 3-0. Wins 6 DeAugustino, 13 Kaylor and 31 Berginic.

Iowa. 125, Ayala. Ranked opponents. 6-3. Wins over 10 Volk, 12 McKee (twice), 13 Smith, 24 Terukina, and 27 Griffin. Losses to 1 Ramos, 6 DeAugustino, and 13 Kaylor.

Penn St. 133 Nagao. Ranked opponents 0-3. Losses 1 Crookham, 4 Ragusin, and 11 Bouzakis.

Iowa. 133 Schriever. Ranked opponents 2-2. Wins over 21 Rini and 30 Madrigal. Losses 4 Ragusin and 19 Van Dee.

Penn St. 141 Bartlett. Ranked opponents. 8-0. Wins 3 Mendez, 10 Lemley, 12 Cornella, 15 Hines, 18 Belton, 21 Miller, 23 Fongaro, and 29 Hamdan.

Iowa. 141 Woods. Ranked opponents 8-1. Wins over 5 McNeil, 7 Hardy, 9 Echemendia 14 Koderhandt, 16 Composto, 18 Belton, 20 Vombaur, and 32 Clark. Loss to 10 Lemley.

Penn St. 149 Kasak. Ranked opponents. 3-0. Wins 11 D’Emilio, 14 Rooks, and 19 Singleton.

Iowa. 149 Rathjen. Ranked opponents 1-2. Win over 17 Roberts and Losses to 1 Lovett and 9 Webster.

Penn St. 157 Haines. Ranked opponents 5-0. Wins 10 Lewan, 21 Saldate, 24 Brignola (twice), and 29 Wilcox.

Iowa. 157 Franek. Ranked opponents. 5-2. Wins over 7 Robb, 14 Chittum, 16 Swensen, 18 Chumbley, and 20 Blaze. Losses to 4 Blockhus and 10 Lewan.

Penn St. 165 Mesenbrink. Ranked opponents 5-0. Wins 9 Fish, 10 Amine, 18 Cassella, 19 Hepner, and 22 Lillard.

Iowa. 165 Caliendo. Ranked opponents 5-1. Wins 16 Taylor, 20 Mayfield, 27 Brenner, 32 Buell, and 33 Moore. Loss to 2 Carr.

Iowa. 174 Kennedy. Ranked opponents. 4-2. Wins over 8 Ruth, 19 Gaitan, 32 Baumann, and 33 Wilson. Losses to 3 Griffith and 6 Incontrera.

Penn St. 184 Truax. Ranked opponents. 2-2. Wins over 15 Malczewski and 18 Bullock. Losses to 4 Munoz and 23 Rogotzke.

Iowa. 184 Riggins. Ranked opponents. 0-6. Losses to 3 Pinto, 5 Salazar, 17 Hale, 26 Ayzerov (twice) and 31 Connell.

Penn St. 197 Brooks. Ranked opponents. 5-0. Wins over 5 Smith, 21 Geog, 28 Rademacher, 30 Wisler, and 33 Sollars.

Iowa. 197 Glazier. Ranked opponents. 4-0. Wins over 13 Allred, 20 Joles (twice) and 28 Rademacher.

Penn St. 285 Kerkvliet. Ranked opponents. 6-0. Wins over 6 Davison, 7 Feldman, 9 Taylor (twice), 15 Trephan and 24 McDermott.

Iowa. 285 Hill. Ranked opponents. 0-3. Losses to 3 Bastida, 6 Davison, and 24 McDermott.

That took some work. Good post.

That took some work. Good post.
The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

Also I think Davis struggling in his match with kilkeary placed a lot of doubt in the minds of these fans. Imo kilkeary gave it his all in that dual ,probably lots of family,friends attending his return to pa in a huge setting. Latrobe is under 2 hour drive. More pumped for this rematch than wrestling at an edinboro tourney as potential red shirt nonstarter for the Buckeyes. Funny how fans do a 180 turn in opinion based on one match.

Fickle, aren't they?

149 is the bout I’m struggling most to pick.
Rest your soul my son. Kasak will cruise to at least a 3 point victory, probably more. No need to worry there. I am starting to see more pure athletic ability and skill than was the case with Levi this time last year.

Davis and Beau clearly have the most challenging bouts ahead. I am less concerned about Levi and Mitch than many others here as well.

I like Davis but youth and Carver will add pressure to that match. The match will likely hinge on one key sequence.

I am quite confident that Woods was less than 100% due to whatever kept him out for several matches. Most likely illness. Just as Carter seemed a bit slow coming back last week. Real, given one more week, should now be primed for a battle.

I feel equally confident in a 10-0 sweep as I do a 7-3, and more confident in the sweep than a shocking 6-4. 8-2 sounds about right but I would not place any money on any one lion losing, it just seems hard to escape Carver without an unpleasant surprise or two.

After last week's black eye vs Michigan, I do not expect the Hawks to fold like lawn chairs. They will be fired up at home and the crowd merciless.

That is unless we start off 3-0, then it will be as quiet as a wake. Maybe they should plan to play music :)

Rest your soul my son. Kasak will cruise to at least a 3 point victory, probably more. No need to worry there. I am starting to see more pure athletic ability and skill than was the case with Levi this time last year.
At this time last year, Levi had already beaten Lewan. Where has Kasak shown more skill than that?

(Also Levi had already obliterated Gallagher, which speaks to his athletic ability.)

Reactions: zzs006
At this time last year, Levi had already beaten Lewan. Where has Kasak shown more skill than that?

(Also Levi had already obliterated Gallagher, which speaks to his athletic ability.)
If you must, and, alas I know you must.

Kasak IMO is more fluid and evolved in his style. Levi showed more raw grit, strength and was very tactically and postitionally sound. With Kasak I am seeing something very special in his chain wrestling. I think Kasak has a very high ceiling, something I really hadn't expected until seeing it develop first hand. I jest about next year, but I if Kasak doesn't want to shirt, I think he really could give Beau a run for his money assuming he can get back down to 141.

In no way was I speak to whom they have wrestled or beat at this stage in the season, just what the eye test is telling me.

I’m pretty sure we’re talking about 2 different things.
Just to explain b/c I don’t want to be on your sh!t list… to do my bout picks, I go into wrestlestat and look through each wrestler’s bout by bout results. And it just seemed like I was seeing a lot of lower division bouts and bouts against non-starters. Sorry to have pointed it out, but this is an anti-Iowa PSU board.

Using Intermat Rankings.

@jmadden1998 one carver cone on me tonight if you reach out just for this post, let alone for all the laughs your gif posts have supplied. I am supposed to meet up with @jrod65 before the meet, if you happen to know him.

It’s incredible to me how owned you get here every day but can’t stay away. Like you took a shot at someone’s education level that probably works in Iowa and got taken to your back for 3+4 in the blink of an eye. Incredible to watch.
Here's the thing: I've never once commented on the GIA board. I visit over there from time to time and appreciate the knowledge that many of them have for the sport. When I go there, I expect to see jabs and barbs directed at PSU. But, out of respect for the Iowa fans, I keep my comments to myself. ,

On a PSU wrestling forum, I made a tongue and cheek comment to a fellow PSU wrestling fan that anyone with any amount of brains knew was strictly satirical......but then along comes WT who gets all umbrageous and decides that it's now his personal quest to defend his university's honor on a rival's forum. And he wonders why I call him "littleman".

It’s incredible to me how owned you get here every day but can’t stay away. Like you took a shot at someone’s education level that probably works in Iowa and got taken to your back for 3+4 in the blink of an eye. Incredible to watch.
He'll keep coming back and you SUCKERS who don't have him on ignore will keep ENGAGING him.

It's not hard guys.

Just to explain b/c I don’t want to be on your sh!t list… to do my bout picks, I go into wrestlestat and look through each wrestler’s bout by bout results. And it just seemed like I was seeing a lot of lower division bouts and bouts against non-starters. Sorry to have pointed it out, but this is an anti-Iowa PSU board.
I don’t disagree, most of our guys have wrestled D2 and D3 opponents at the Luther Open. I took your original post as stating they haven’t wrestled anyone good at all. That’s why I did the ranked opponent comparison. All good.

Reactions: mcpat
@jmadden1998 one carver cone on me tonight if you reach out just for this post, let alone for all the laughs your gif posts have supplied. I am supposed to meet up with @jrod65 before the meet, if you happen to know him.
I will not be in attendance tonight but thanks for the offer! I don’t know jrod either. I have a friends 50th birthday party tonight so I will be watching on my phone unless I can get the bartender to turn the dual on.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Wishing I had everyone else’s confidence I’m nervous as hell . Dug out my oldest luckiest penn state sweatshirt that still fits just in case .

Bringing ear plugs to drown out the crowd sound . God I hate opposing stadiums .

Rather than make a prediction I’ll just openly state come March I will take our guy at every weight class .

Hope all 10 take the ref and carver out of the equation by being super aggressive …

Here's the thing: I've never once commented on the GIA board. I visit over there from time to time and appreciate the knowledge that many of them have for the sport. When I go there, I expect to see jabs and barbs directed at PSU. But, out of respect for the Iowa fans, I keep my comments to myself.
So you're telling me you're not a sociopath?

Reactions: danoftw
For what it's worth the Flo preview has PSU winning 30-3 tonight. I read through JD's take and it is sound. Iowa has their hands full tonight.

Reactions: diggerpup
Once again: Levi is the first wrestler in history to have trouble with his cut AND perform better in the 3rd/OT than in the 1st.
I suspect we will never know the backstory unless Levi or Mesenbrink is asked directly by a reporter (we know Cael will never tell), but I wonder how the decision was made as to who goes at each weight.

Earlier this year I thought maybe a wrestleoff probably settled it, but upon reflection now, I think not

I suspect as Levi was both a runner up and the incumbent, he was simply given the choice. A tough one at that. Stay at 157 and enjoy a much easier weight relative to the competition and live with an ever increasingly difficult cut, or go up and face the meat grinder that is 165. Net-net, Levi had to know what he was in for this year, and he likely made that choice.

As interesting will be what happens next year.

I suspect we will never know the backstory unless Levi or Mesenbrink is asked directly by a reporter (we know Cael will never tell), but I wonder how the decision was made as to who goes at each weight.

Earlier this year I thought maybe a wrestleoff probably settled it, but upon reflection now, I think not

I suspect as Levi was both a runner up and the incumbent, he was simply given the choice. A tough one at that. Stay at 157 and enjoy a much easier weight relative to the competition and live with an ever increasingly difficult cut, or go up and face the meat grinder that is 165. Net-net, Levi had to know what he was in for this year, and he likely made that choice.

As interesting will be what happens next year.
Yeah, I doubt Levi won a wrestle-off based on both eye test and freestyle results, but you never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT