ADVERTISEMENT

Rasheed cradles up Midlands Champ #5 in country for the pin!

Rasheed is strong in single matches. He seems to struggle in the tournament setting. V

I wouldn't say he struggles too much in tournament settings. Made the finals at the NLO and lost to Massa and Preisch at The Scuffle, two really tough wrestlers.
Rasheed is strong in single matches. He seems to struggle in the tournament setting. V

I wouldn't say he struggles too much in tournament settings. Made the finals at the NLO and lost to Massa and Preisch at The Scuffle, two really tough wrestlers.

Valid points. My bad. Was just surprised Morelli and Hamlond placed higher at the scuffle and believe he lost to Morelli at the NLO.

My feeling after the Scuffle and given what happened prior, The staff will go with Rasheed. I base that on two points 1) bonus points are ultra valuable come post season and all things being equal you start the younger athlete. The only exception would be if the upperclass wrestler has earned his way by being a multi year starter.

That my theory and Im sticking to it!

So much for us not having any more upside ;)
Yeah, love Rasheed's upside. Seems to me his biggest challenge (other than beating out other talented wrestlers on the PSU roster just to get in the lineup) will be weight management and the associated conditioning.

At the Scuffle, I'd guess 1/5 of the the fans were PSU - hugely outnumbering other fans. At Purdue, there seemed to be a fair number of PSU fans for the match - more than I expected. PSU certainly travels well. The Rasheed match tonight was the highlight. The take down was slick and he muscled up a cradle in short order. When Welch went on his back the place erupted. I'm not sure how much of this was PSU cheer and how much was Purdue shock. My impression is that Rasheed is an extraordinary talent, but he needs the experience. The more he wrestles, the better he gets.

Reactions: hlstone
"Rasheed has a lot of upside, but he's raw"

That might not be Cael's exact quote, but it is essentially what he said earlier in the year. That is pretty much what we've seen so far.

IMO it was only fair that Cael gave everyone a chance up though the scuffle. I think though the others had to show separation to take the spot away ... that didn't happen. The only way raw becomes seasoned is to wrestle, I'm excited to see his upside become reality.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
If you were playing a drinking game where you had to take a shot every time you heard the words Rasheed and Upside in the same sentence, you'd be in serious need of rehab. Nice thing is, though, we're already seeing it. Easy to imagine him getting some bonus points at the NCAAs, and even AA if he can show some consistency.

Reactions: lionlover
If you were playing a drinking game where you had to take a shot every time you heard the words Rasheed and Upside in the same sentence, you'd be in serious need of rehab. Nice thing is, though, we're already seeing it. Easy to imagine him getting some bonus points at the NCAAs, and even AA if he can show some consistency.
Any mention of Rasheed's "wingspan" and the Jay Bilas Drinking Game is on.

I might also mention that Megaludis' leap over Thornton for a takedown was reminiscent of a similar move by Nickal in the QFs of the Scuffle (although Nickal's move was even more impressive - I'd like to see it again). Where do they come up with these things - Cirque du Soleil?

I'm also waiting on him to do head stand turn w the cradle.....kid is developing right before our eyes
Rasheed does the cross face cradle exactly as it needs to be done. He locks it up... as he's behind his opponent, he's forcing his opponent's legs off their base or get at least one leg over extended to the side from behind your opponent and you can set up the quick turn to your opponents back. It gets your opponent off his base and off balance to make the quick turn. Your opponent has no arm to base out with because his arm is trapped in the cross face. Ed Ruth used to use the head stand turn, Dunk, but if he had a little practice session with Cory... He'd know... Knock the opponent off balance by forcing the trapped leg to the side by hooking your knee under the back of your opponents knee and spreading his legs so he's off his base (off balance). You're opponent will turn himself as you keep the cradle and "jack" the leg up or out to the side as you force him to his back.

It's extremely surprising also, the number of collegiate opponents who don't know how to defend the cross face cradle. Once, Cory had it locked up... he moved Welch's legs apart with his own knee's and Welch went right over and he was pinned in a matter of a few seconds. Text book. With Cory's wing span (as with Ed Ruth's)... they become cross face cradling machines. It takes long arms and leverage and you can take a guy like Cory who isn't too muscular and turn him into a pinning machine. I should know. I was a wiry 6'2" and 132 lber as a senior in high school and the cross face cradle was my bread and butter. It was taught to me by my brother who would grind on my face to prove it's worth. :eek:

Cory does it perfectly. He also covers the non cradled leg as the kid tries to kick out and a firm knee in the side locks your opponent on his back when the cradle is turned and as he's on his back flailing to get out of the cradle. Cory did both and a #5 wrestler in the country was stacked and locked on his back. Easy looking pin when done by an accomplished cross face cradle technician.

Thanks for the set up Dunke and El Jefe. :cool:

Last edited:
I liked the use of "pinning machine" and I should know in my last post. Reminds me of this, little gem by Tony Hunt. If we all had Tony's Hunt's humility. :D

Reactions: lionlover
Rasheed does the cross face cradle exactly as it needs to be done. He locks it up... as he's behind his opponent, he's forcing his opponent's legs off their base or get at least one leg over extended to the side from behind your opponent and you can set up the quick turn to your opponents back. It gets your opponent off his base and off balance to make the quick turn. Your opponent has no arm to base out with because his arm in trapped in the cross face. Ed Ruth used to use the head stand turn, Dunk, but if he had a little practice session with Cory... He'd know... Knock the opponent off balance by forcing the trapped leg to the side by hooking your knee under the back of your opponents knee and spreading his legs so he's off his base (off balance). You're opponent will turn himself as you keep the cradle and "jack" the leg up or out to the side as you force him to his back.

It's extremely surprising also, the number of collegiate opponents who don't know how to defend the cross face cradle. Once, Cory had it locked up... he moved Welch's legs apart with his own knee's and Welch went right over and he was pinned in a matter of a few seconds. Text book. With Cory's wing span (as with Ed Ruth's)... they become cross face cradling machines. It takes long arms and leverage and you can take a guy like Cory who isn't too muscular and turn him into a pinning machine. I should know. I was a wiry 6'2" and 132 lber as a senior in high school and the cross face cradle was my bread and butter. It was taught to me by my brother who would grind on my face to prove it's worth. :eek:

Cory does it perfectly. He also covers the leg as the kid tries to kick out and a firm knee in the side locks your opponent on his back when the cradle is turned and as he's on his back flailing to get out of the cradle. Cory did both and a #5 wrestler in the country was stacked and locked on his back. Easy looking pin when done by an accomplished cross face cradle technician.

I'm curious if Ed would stop by Lorenzo to work with Shakur for a few days if back in Harrisburg or if he's strictly Sunkist Kids all day, every day? How's Ed's relationship with Cael since the move? Who better to practice the cradle with than the Truth.

Rasheed does the cross face cradle exactly as it needs to be done. He locks it up... as he's behind his opponent, he's forcing his opponent's legs off their base or get at least one leg over extended to the side from behind your opponent and you can set up the quick turn to your opponents back. It gets your opponent off his base and off balance to make the quick turn. Your opponent has no arm to base out with because his arm in trapped in the cross face. Ed Ruth used to use the head stand turn, Dunk, but if he had a little practice session with Cory... He'd know... Knock the opponent off balance by forcing the trapped leg to the side by hooking your knee under the back of your opponents knee and spreading his legs so he's off his base (off balance). You're opponent will turn himself as you keep the cradle and "jack" the leg up or out to the side as you force him to his back.

Cory does it perfectly. He also covers the non cradled leg as the kid tries to kick out and a firm knee in the side locks your opponent on his back when the cradle is turned and as he's on his back flailing to get out of the cradle. Cory did both and a #5 wrestler in the country was stacked and locked on his back. Easy looking pin when done by an accomplished cross face cradle technician.

We used to call that "winding the clock" when you spread the legs with a far-side cradle.

Reactions: minnhawkeye
It will be interesting where Rasheed gets put in the rankings. Per Intermat rankings, he's beaten #5 and #12 but lost to 13, 16 and 18.

That win over Welch could be big at Big Ten seeding time. Assuming Rasheed is now the regular, in his next 5 duals he will face UR, #15, UR, #7, UR (Intermat) before running into Bo. If he could get through with only a loss to Bo he could earn himself a 3 seed behind the two Jordan.

A semi match against Issac could go either way IMO.

I know, I know .. blue and white glasses ... I sure like the way the Freshmen wrestle though.

I don't think its that they don't know how to defend it...the best defense is not getting in it which involves wrist control from the bottom and your head up (by the way the most basic fundamentals that wrestlers are taught from day 1 in the bottom position). Its the physical advantages you speak of (length) that make it harder to defend on those types of wrestlers. I'm actually surprised more wrestlers don't use the cross-face cradle. Its one of the first pinning combinations we teach our young wrestlers after the half-nelson and there's a number of turns off of the cross-face series from the top according to how your opponent reacts (turk, butcher, etc.)

Damn! 132@ 6'2"?!
My junior year I wrestled 155@6'2" & I looked sickly & could see my heart beating.....needless to say jumped to 189 my senior year as I decided to NEVER suck weight again! Lol

My god!

6'2", 132#?! That makes wiry kids look downright fat.

That win over Welch could be big at Big Ten seeding time. Assuming Rasheed is now the regular, in his next 5 duals he will face UR, #15, UR, #7, UR (Intermat) before running into Bo. If he could get through with only a loss to Bo he could earn himself a 3 seed behind the two Jordan.

A semi match against Issac could go either way IMO.

I know, I know .. blue and white glasses ... I sure like the way the Freshmen wrestle though.

That's would be tremendous for Rasheed... Insure hope it pans out that way. A top 3 finish at B1G's would get him a pretty decent seeds at Nationals too. But, there's a lot that needs to go right for that to happen. I'll be rooting for him!

Great win for Rasheed. He is very dangerous but as was mentioned, consistency will be the key. At this point talking about 3rd in the Big Ten and AA status is a lot of upside. Let's give him some time to demonstrate he can win night after night before expecting that. Hope he keeps improving!

Damn! 132@ 6'2"?!
My junior year I wrestled 155@6'2" & I looked sickly & could see my heart beating.....needless to say jumped to 189 my senior year as I decided to NEVER suck weight again! Lol
It's funny. My brother was the same body make up and his nickname was STORK.

As you did drock... I hit the weights after high school and while I was at Penn State. I grew into a 6'2'', 230 pound linebacker type. I don't have your size. Dunke and I have met and will attest... I've grown out of that 132 lb body.

My mom would always go crazy that sucking weight would stunt our growth. I have friends who stayed 5'5" or 5'6"ish that I wrestled with. I would imagine Shakur once he's done with his wrestling career with grow into a much bigger body. I had the exact body type as his growing up. I also tried to walk on the football team at Penn State in 1994. You can guess how that went. Lol

Last edited:
It will be interesting where Rasheed gets put in the rankings. Per Intermat rankings, he's beaten #5 and #12 but lost to 13, 16 and 18.

Using Flo rankings, he's beaten #5 and #16 by pin and #13 and #17 by decision. His losses are to #s 11, 15 and 18. Of course, they already have him ranked #12, so he's probably not goi g to move up much.

I liked the use of "pinning machine" and I should know in my last post. Reminds me of this, little gem by Tony Hunt. If we all had Tony's Hunt's humility. :D

I detect sarcasm, but I don't see anything in that interview that came across arrogant. If you watched the game which I'm sure you did, you would know that he totally dominated the game. He could ve said basically anything he wanted in regards to how well he played as it was accurate. He didn't even single himself out at all....so don't get it and really has nothing to do w the op

I detect sarcasm, but I don't see anything in that interview that came across arrogant. If you watched the game which I'm sure you did, you would know that he totally dominated the game. He could ve said basically anything he wanted in regards to how well he played as it was accurate. He didn't even single himself out at all....so don't get it and really has nothing to do w the op
Maybe not, but it sure made me feel good to watch the clip!:D

I'm with you Minister. I was saying it tongue in cheek. I LOVED Tony's interview. I was mocking my own ability as to not be as humble as Tony. :rolleyes:

Self deprecating after the fact.

I think you all are finally seeing what I've I know about Rasheed since he pinned Joey Galasso in a cradle in 7th Grade at MAWA Regionals in Bethlehem. I am lucky enough to see these kids at a young age and watch them develop. I think his weight cutting is actually holding him back from his true potential. I'd love to see him hit the weights and get up to 200lbs in the off-season before making the cut back down to 184lbs, if Bo stays at 174lbs. This is not far fetched as my teammate at PSU, Dan Waters (ex-navy seal), used to weigh 205lbs in the off-season and then cut to 157lbs. You should've seen that dedication and transformation! Rasheed would still be a tall 184lber and I think with weight training and another off-season to develop his frame would serve him better up two weights. He could then compete with Cutch for the spot.

You also have to remember that Manville and Cenzo have to find a place in this line-up around 149lbs and 157lbs. Nolf moving to 165lbs and inserting Cenzo into 157lbs next season makes a ton of sense to me. I like Mason to redshirt a year and then eventually take over 149lbs for Zain.

Reactions: tikk10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT