ADVERTISEMENT

RBY vs Spencer Lee.

His Hodge chances aside, I think his legacy would be impacted with a loss to RBY. Even if it is up a weight.

Right now, Spencer (and his legacy) is looking absolutely Bunyan-esque. Brands is saying he's the best wrestler he's ever seen. People already penciling him in for a gold medal in a few years (and some assuming he would have already won one had it not been for health). If he moves up and loses to RBY, all that goes away.

I agree that concern over his Hodge chances and legacy are not why Spencer isn't going to move up a weight class for one dual. But I disagree that there is only upside for him if he did.

As a CPA, I have to say Brands' opinion has an independence impairment. He has a direct interest in Lee's record and reputation.

It may be impaired in other ways as well, but that's another story.

Lee is on a tear now, and has stepped up his game and is knocking off pins like a bowling ball. Right now, its fair to say he's dominating opponents unllike anybody since Bo Nickal or Jason Nolf in their last year.

He very likely can pin Steen for his 7th in a row-but he's not invulnerable.

RBY is the reason Daton Fix is a multiple time runner up, and not an aspiring three time champ.

RBY has a better arsenal of weapons than any 125, plus a couple more pounds. Lee's not going to go TD, tilt for 4, repetitively on him and he knows it.

If RBY beat Lee decisely; he's among the favorite for the Hodge although at the moment, Parris and Cassiopi are both undefeated and pinning a lot of people. Cassioppi of course would have to get past Kerk, and those two meet in a dual 2/10.

As a CPA, I have to say Brands' opinion has an independence impairment. He has a direct interest in Lee's record and reputation.

It may be impaired in other ways as well, but that's another story.

Lee is on a tear now, and has stepped up his game and is knocking off pins like a bowling ball. Right now, its fair to say he's dominating opponents unllike anybody since Bo Nickal or Jason Nolf in their last year.

He very likely can pin Steen for his 7th in a row-but he's not invulnerable.

RBY is the reason Daton Fix is a multiple time runner up, and not an aspiring three time champ.

RBY has a better arsenal of weapons than any 125, plus a couple more pounds. Lee's not going to go TD, tilt for 4, repetitively on him and he knows it.

If RBY beat Lee decisely; he's among the favorite for the Hodge although at the moment, Parris and Cassiopi are both undefeated and pinning a lot of people. Cassioppi of course would have to get past Kerk, and those two meet in a dual 2/10.
As a CPA, the Brands brothers follow GAAP. In my opinion, There's a GAAP there somewhere.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Ben Askren had an interesting idea on Flo’s FRL. After the duel is over, have Lee vs RBY as an “extra” match. It will never happen, but all of us would like to see it. Askren said it would be the most anticipated match since Taylor vs Dake.
And….in the aftermath, if Lee doesn’t, when the silly argument of best ever wrestlers, he will not ever be considered better than Dake. Lack of gonads to take on another champion when he’s waiting across the mat.

Iowa should only bump up Lee is if their plan is to keep him there for the rest of the season. It makes no sense to burn Ayala RS for 1 match. Lee hasn't wrestled a lot the past 2 years due to injury and the cut may be very tough.

I think RBY has the advantage at neutral and Lee will not be able to roll him like he does 125ers. Lee is very strong for 125 and may be strongerthan a lot of 133s, but he's probably not as strong as the top 133s.

Iowa should only bump up Lee is if their plan is to keep him there for the rest of the season. It makes no sense to burn Ayala RS for 1 match. Lee hasn't wrestled a lot the past 2 years due to injury and the cut may be very tough.

I think RBY has the advantage at neutral and Lee will not be able to roll him like he does 125ers. Lee is very strong for 125 and may be strongerthan a lot of 133s, but he's probably not as strong as the top 133s.
From a strength standpoint you might have to climb into the upper echelon of 149 pounders to find someone with Spener's strength.

From a strength standpoint you might have to climb into the upper echelon of 149 pounders to find someone with Spener's strength.
Not a Spencer fan, but very close with his old training partner, and he said Spencers grip strength is unreal. He said when he gets that elbow on dump, or bar, its game over. He did however say that his gas tank has always been an issue, and is known to wilt a little as the match goes on. I think RBY's style is kryptonite for Spencer. Just IMO.

Not a Spencer fan, but very close with his old training partner, and he said Spencers grip strength is unreal. He said when he gets that elbow on dump, or bar, its game over. He did however say that his gas tank has always been an issue, and is known to wilt a little as the match goes on. I think RBY's style is kryptonite for Spencer. Just IMO.
You and I agree on the RBY take.

They have a video of Spencer, on Instagram I think, where he is doing pull ups with a 140 pound dumbbell on a belt. He does more 1 armed pullups and easier than most gym rats do with both arms.

Reactions: wrestlingmind
You and I agree on the RBY take.

They have a video of Spencer, on Instagram I think, where he is doing pull ups with a 140 pound dumbbell on a belt. He does more 1 armed pullups and easier than most gym rats do with both arms.
Yep. I think even the best kid's are prepared for Spencer's strength mentally until they feel it for real. How many guys this season seem to be in position to belly out or roll through only to be frozen in place by that grip and held down. If RBY were to wrestle him in a PPV, we may well see his arm behind his back again to avoid the tie and eventual dump. I would love to see what a 3rd period would look like for someone with RBY's skill, gas tank, and quickness

ADVERTISEMENT