ADVERTISEMENT

Reported: Chambers and crew decided to not pursue CBI. Season over.

Good call. Why play in front of 12 people with no TV? Few people care about the NIT. The CBI is unnecessary.

IIRC..no expert on the CBI, but

don't we have to PAY to be in that tournament? Now I know we burn money like it's oxygen and I am a Pat and DJ supporter but that has to play into the picture, things being how they are, right?

Yes this is a pay to play tourney & to waste $$ on this event would be

crazy.

Re: IIRC..no expert on the CBI, but

Originally posted by Victor E. Bell:
don't we have to PAY to be in that tournament? Now I know we burn money like it's oxygen and I am a Pat and DJ supporter but that has to play into the picture, things being how they are, right?
I know for sure you have to pay to host a game. I'm not sure you pay if you go on the road.

Sucks for the seniors but definitely the right call....

There's a right time and a wrong time to accept a secondary tourny invite and while it sucks to close the door on the year after a good last couple of weeks, Chambers can't send the message that this is what they aim for. Last year made sense and for a really young team it makes sense to keep playing.

Sort of

The hosting team has to guarantee a certain $$$ amount of ticket sales. Sell enough tickets and you make your money back.
The guarantee isn't particularly large and is about the same as what you'd pay these guys to come in for a non-conference game anyway, so, in a way, it's just business as usual.

Thank you, so...

it would be a push, at best according to you (and I know you have your facts straight.) I do wonder if this year (compared to the Cornley year) if we would have sent dozens of buses to MSG as in the past, had we advanced that far, going back to the NIT scenario.

This post was edited on 3/15 10:41 PM by Victor E. Bell

Re: Sort of

Originally posted by AngryOtter:
Cal turned it down because as a 1 seed they would have to pay 50k for the first game. Second game would cost them 75k.
Kind of hope Pat got assurances from Sandy B. that he could use the savings towards new assistants. An extra $100k+ for assistant salaries is a lot better than a few games in a tournament nobody cares about

I believe the correct figures are

$35K for the first round, $50K for the second, and $75 for the semis and finals.

Typical payment for a out-of-conference game would be in the same range depending on the opponent.

This post was edited on 3/15 11:22 PM by UncleLar

I think it was right not to pursue the CBI. There was no benefit to be gained from playing in that tournament. The way the season ended was a great way for Newbill and the rest of the Seniors to end their careers,and it should give the kid's returning some confidence heading into next year. DJ was great during this final stretch,but he was great the whole year. The reason we finally started to win games was because other guy's stepped up. That was the most encouraging thing to come from the final week. I really think we could be better than people think next year. If the Freshman are as good as advertised and some other guy's continue to improve, we may actually be a tougher team to defend by not having to rely so much on one person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT