ADVERTISEMENT

Rhoades to PSU?

Penn State has offered Mike Rhoades at or north of 3.5 million annually and will be the next head coach of the Penn State Nittany Lions, according to very plugged in VCU sources.
And I called it.

Not impressed but has Pa roots and father was a politician. Not sure if that’s a splash hire. Evidently Kraft was interested in him for the BC opening a few yrs back.

Reactions: aworsnup
Not impressed but has Pa roots and father was a politician. Not sure if that’s a splash hire. Evidently Kraft was interested in him for the BC opening a few yrs back.
I would not know this guy if he knocked on my door . I sincerely am asking why not impressed? Can he recruit? Develop players?

Reactions: JoeLion and bison13
I've followed U of Dayton basketball since my youngest son started there in 2011 (and have an Elite 8 shirt to prove it!).

So I've watched a good many VCU games during that time as UD and VCU are two of the top teams in the A10 almost every year.

Rhoades' teams play tough in your face defense and play hard the whole game. He'll bring a hard nosed style of play, and recruit athletic players that can play great defense. And if he can bring over a couple of players from his roster that will help as well. The VCU roster shows that he has brough in some highly sought after players that are now underclassmen.

Note that he does not have any 2023 commits, which says he either was not losing anyone from this seasons team or he only planned for incoming transfers.

Pegula needs to send his plane to pick up Rhoades and drop him off in Denver and pick him up again when Carey Booth has re-committed to PSU.

I would not know this guy if he knocked on my door . I sincerely am asking why not impressed? Can he recruit? Develop players?

Just looked him up. He’s coached at 3 places-

1. 1999- 2009 at Randolph- Macon (Old Dominion conference), 197-76.

2. 2014- 2017 at Rice (conference USA), 47-52.

3. 2017- 2023 at VCU (Atlantic 10), 129-60.

Last edited:
Sorry, just my opinion. I guess the only acceptable answer by some here is it’s the greatest hire made across the nation so far this year. Outstanding.
Seriously? You immediately claim that this guy is an uninspired hire without explanation and then try to “defend” the criticism of your post by saying something asinine that the only acceptable answer is that this was the greatest hire made so far this year across the nation. Quantum leap much?

Just looked him up. He’s coached at 3 places-

1. 1999- 2009 at Randolph- Macon (Old Dominion conference), 197-76.

2. 2014- 2017 at Rice (conference USA), 47-52.

3. 2017- 2023 at VCU (Atlantic 10), 129-60.
so he has won almost 70% of his games. and took over an impossible Rice program that had won 3 games, and had a winning team in three years. sounds terrible

Seriously? You immediately claim that this guy is an uninspired hire without explanation and then try to “defend” the criticism of your post by saying something asinine that the only acceptable answer is that this was the greatest hire made so far this year across the nation. Quantum leap much?
we literally have fans who think the best coach in 2023 would be a 82-year old Bob Knight. we seem to have a bigger problem changing with the times than many other places

we have seen repeated posters saying we should hire Jay Wright (who is retired and not even coaching), who then go silent on the fact that we had a chance to hire Jay Wright before he even went to Villanova and it was screwed up by moronic decisions at PSU

It was in response to the “here we go” flippant response before that because it wasn’t instant praise. Some people here have a real hard time with opposing opinions, ( ‘they’re really stupid’, ‘want Bob Knight and Jay Wright’, and ‘don’t know anything about the sport’, etc). In any event, we’ll see over the next few years. I hope it turns out to be a great hire.

yes to both. and he wins. in multiple places including one that is much harder than PSU
Where are the multiple places that he won at? DIV 3? Come on, yes he's had success at VCU but we know that program was established when he took over. He was at Rice not sure you can claim he "won" there. He went to the CBI once.

So now that we know you're full of shit and don't know anything about this coach. You can stop you're all knowing BB coaching rift.

Where are the multiple places that he won at? DIV 3? Come on, yes he's had success at VCU but we know that program was established when he took over. He was at Rice not sure you can claim he "won" there. He went to the CBI once.

So now that we know you're full of shit and don't know anything about this coach. You can stop you're all knowing BB coaching rift.

and what he did at Rice was the most impressive of those, which is why VCU hired him when they lost Wade to LSU.

the year before he took over Rice they won 3 games. It is much harder to win there than Penn State or maybe almost anywhere. getting them to the postseason in 3 years did not go unnoticed

Reactions: bison13
and what he did at Rice was the most impressive of those, which is why VCU brought hired him when they lost Wade to LSU.
Dude he had 1 season with a winning record...he didn't "win" there.

Stop trying to lie about his history.

Look he may end up being a great hire but he's not one today. This the kinda of coach PSU gets...nothing new to see. Only difference is we are paying him 3.5 million

• Haha
Reactions: paradox1984
Dude he had 1 season with a winning record...he didn't "win" there.

Stop trying to lie about his history.

Look he may end up being a great hire but he's not one today. This the kinda of coach PSU gets...nothing new to see. Only difference is we are paying him 3.5 million
He took over a Rice program that had won 3 games. it is one of the most difficult places to win in D1. Within three years he had a 23-win season there. VCU's coach Wade was hired by LSU and VCU hired Rhoades to replace him.

He did a nice job turning then around but you're overselling which hurts the argument. Simply based on his job at VCU he earned this opportunity.

Winning at Penn State and in the Big Ten is more difficult than at VCU if we're being honest.
That what my point Fairfax is overselling the guy. Like I said I hope he's the next Coach K. But let's not paint this as PSU going out and making a monumental hire.

That what my point Fairfax is overselling the guy. Like I said I hope he's the next Coach K. But let's not paint this as PSU going out and making a monumental hire.
It is a better hire than Shrewsberry was. I have not compared this to coach K at any point

Duke hired coach K from Army. cannot even imagine what kind of meltdown would have occurred on these boards if that was us and the message boards were around back then

I have no idea if he's a good hire or not. I have two questions:
  1. Will he want to or be able to keep Adam Fisher? That could be the key to keeping current players.
  2. Can he bring quality players to PSU quickly? If he can't he's not worth $3.4 million IMO.

Reactions: johnmpsu
we literally have fans who think the best coach in 2023 would be a 82-year old Bob Knight. we seem to have a bigger problem changing with the times than many other places

we have seen repeated posters saying we should hire Jay Wright (who is retired and not even coaching), who then go silent on the fact that we had a chance to hire Jay Wright before he even went to Villanova and it was screwed up by moronic decisions at PSU

We had a chance to get rejected by Jay wright.

I have no idea if he's a good hire or not. I have two questions:
  1. Will he want to or be able to keep Adam Fisher? That could be the key to keeping current players.
  2. Can he bring quality players to PSU quickly? If he can't he's not worth $3.4 million IMO.
Fisher is irrelevant as is the current recruiting class--it's all about how he handles the portal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT