ADVERTISEMENT

Rhoades to PSU?

That might be fair if college basketball success was a direct result solely of a coach's ability to coach. But we all know that NIL, assistant coaches salary structures and funding, the impact the game crowds have due to the playing venue, and even univeristy BOD support among other things also impacts the success of a university's basketball program.

So it seems to me that to reach a higher level of success Kraft must take the reins and improve the support structure for the new BB coach. And if the university does not do that, or doesn't do it to the extent of the competition, the level of which we may not really ever know, judging the success of this or any PSU basketball coache is an inexact science........
All of those issues are 100% spot on. But every one of them falls under the responsibility of the head coach. It is his job to manage all of that, to lobby admin, to massage donors, to excite the student body and fans. A head coach of a major sports program must wear many hats, own a diverse wardrobe, and be skilled at many levels.

These are some of the many reasons that finding the right guy is so difficult.

Reactions: bdgan and bison13
All of those issues are 100% spot on. But every one of them falls under the responsibility of the head coach. It is his job to manage all of that, to lobby admin, to massage donors, to excite the student body and fans. A head coach of a major sports program must wear many hats, own a diverse wardrobe, and be skilled at many levels.

I think the right guy makes it easier to do some of the other stuff. Players want to play for him, boosters want to get behind him, fans want to show up, etc. People want to watch them on TV, etc. But it still comes down to school support, especially the administration. The coach can only do so much.

Ideally, our new AD and donors would have realized early on that we may have had something in Shrewsberry and moved early to make him feel wanted and also listen to his concerns around NIL. It sounds like that did not happen, and Shrewsberry went to a place that he thinks will value him more. If our administration doesn't get behind the new guy with a commitment to do what it takes to compete it won't matter what his salary is.

Reactions: Achowalogan
I think the right guy makes it easier to do some of the other stuff. Players want to play for him, boosters want to get behind him, fans want to show up, etc. People want to watch them on TV, etc. But it still comes down to school support, especially the administration. The coach can only do so much.

PSU Hoops as Sisyphus plays out again. I think Shrewsberry had generated some of that momentum this season, and it could have built up support if he had stayed. Now we roll back down the mountain again.

We've seen this when Parkhill left, when the Crispin brothers left, when Talor Battle left, and again now with our four seniors leaving. PSU has made the tournament in '91, '95, '01, '11, and '21 and each time with a senior laden team that then immediately suffered a rough break to stop any momentum.

'91 -- team kicked out of A10 and plays as an independent, unable to follow up on previous year's tournament success

'95 -- transition from Parkhill to Dunn kicks in, team relies on a freshman point guard the next season when doesn't pan out and then leaves. IIRC, a key injury to Stephens the following year at the NIT also prevents any momentum from building.

'01 -- team loses four starters, and apparently a key recruit (or at least a chance at one) because of a delay in renewing Dunn. {'01 trivia --> Lavell Blanchard had PSU in his 2000 final four schools and visited PSU. He was a 5* and if PSU could have reeled him in, he would have been a freshmen in the 00-01 lineup with the team that went to the sweet 16. Imagine how far that team with Blanchard might have gone}

'11 -- Talor's senior year. The real killer was missing the tournament despite having a really good year in 2009 (were on the wrong side of the bubble despite 20+ wins). Coach leaves after this season and PSU starts over.

'20 - Team never gets to go to the NCAA because of COVID, following year IIRC the whole Chambers controversy begins leading to a sloppy coaching transition and a bunch of players transferring out

'23 - Coach Shrew has to essentially start over, with only Harrah, Dread, and a couple of others staying. He builds the team up to what it was at the end of this year, then bolts. Now players are entering portal and recruits are re-opening commitments.

Most people don't appreciate the weird cycles this program has gone through, they just know that (a) we've rarely been any good; and (b) the Admin hasn't really tried to put the school's full weight behind the program. {OK, in 1978 be brought Dick Harter in, and that was an honest try, but he didn't get the job done - again breaks - this is when the BigEast turned PSU down}

Reactions: The Spin Meister
PSU Hoops as Sisyphus plays out again. I think Shrewsberry had generated some of that momentum this season, and it could have built up support if he had stayed. Now we roll back down the mountain again.

We've seen this when Parkhill left, when the Crispin brothers left, when Talor Battle left, and again now with our four seniors leaving. PSU has made the tournament in '91, '95, '01, '11, and '21 and each time with a senior laden team that then immediately suffered a rough break to stop any momentum.

'91 -- team kicked out of A10 and plays as an independent, unable to follow up on previous year's tournament success

'95 -- transition from Parkhill to Dunn kicks in, team relies on a freshman point guard the next season when doesn't pan out and then leaves. IIRC, a key injury to Stephens the following year at the NIT also prevents any momentum from building.

'01 -- team loses four starters, and apparently a key recruit (or at least a chance at one) because of a delay in renewing Dunn. {'01 trivia --> Lavell Blanchard had PSU in his 2000 final four schools and visited PSU. He was a 5* and if PSU could have reeled him in, he would have been a freshmen in the 00-01 lineup with the team that went to the sweet 16. Imagine how far that team with Blanchard might have gone}

'11 -- Talor's senior year. The real killer was missing the tournament despite having a really good year in 2009 (were on the wrong side of the bubble despite 20+ wins). Coach leaves after this season and PSU starts over.

'20 - Team never gets to go to the NCAA because of COVID, following year IIRC the whole Chambers controversy begins leading to a sloppy coaching transition and a bunch of players transferring out

'23 - Coach Shrew has to essentially start over, with only Harrah, Dread, and a couple of others staying. He builds the team up to what it was at the end of this year, then bolts. Now players are entering portal and recruits are re-opening commitments.

Most people don't appreciate the weird cycles this program has gone through, they just know that (a) we've rarely been any good; and (b) the Admin hasn't really tried to put the school's full weight behind the program. {OK, in 1978 be brought Dick Harter in, and that was an honest try, but he didn't get the job done - again breaks - this is when the BigEast turned PSU down}

seems like they are trying for real over the last few years. Barbour identified a very good hire who would come for a salary she could get through the board. That's what she was working with. Got us there and left. Now we are paying like the rest of the conference. and some apparently disagree, but this is the kind of coach we should have been hiring since '96. A coach whose resume justifies a high major job.

Shrewsberry and Rhoades are legitimately good hires. what changed? well, the same AD hired the previous three guys. IMO he had no idea what he was doing. And if he did know what he was doing, that's much worse. You could make a very strong case that none of his 3 hires would have gotten anything above an A-10 job if PSU hadn't hired them

Last edited:
If you believe this Rhodes will be the 3rd highest paid coach in the BiG.

thought he was getting 3.5 not 4

that would make him #7 on this list. in any case, nobody on the outside knows the amount down to the dollar and these are all outdated anyway. probably add 15 or 20 percent to all of them due to recent inflation

Last edited:
Seems that anyone with a Twitter account and the $10 to get a check mark can make some think they are a college basketball insider.

I only trust the true insiders like Gunsie and Sekrah…
forgot about Sekrah
remember when PSU was on Plan Z for finding a football coach and Sekrah was tweeting out riddles about Les Miles?

those were the days

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
The longer it drags out, the less optimistic I am about him coming to PSU. And being rejected by your top choice is a terrible look which doesn't help our program.
I’m still waiting on psugo823 since he has all this inside information and boldly stated it was a done deal.

lol
march madness nba GIF by SportsManias

Disagree…unless he’s hanging down there for another year, then we’d make the most sense.
They hired Tom Herman as football coach- and while he has fallen far from UT he probably isn't cheap. The FAU vs KState game was maybe the fastest game I've ever seen....May has 8 interchangeable parts and a big Russian in the middle w game. Helluva coaching job...

They hired Tom Herman as football coach- and while he has fallen far from UT he probably isn't cheap. The FAU vs KState game was maybe the fastest game I've ever seen....May has 8 interchangeable parts and a big Russian in the middle w game. Helluva coaching job...
Based on this, they are extremely unlikely to come close to matching what we could pay Dusty…

In year one, Herman will earn an annual base salary of $750,000. In year two, that base salary will increase to $1,000,000. Herman will then earn $1,250,000 in year three and $1,350,000 in year four of his contract. In year five, Herman will earn a base salary of $1,500,000.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

I believe you are over simplifying it a bit. The coach can not hold the people that hired him hostage to get better facilities. He can ask for it and use it once he is successful and the university and alumni are fully behind him during contract negotiations. But we have reportedly seen that in action over the last few months when Shrew apparently asked for things that the AD and BOD were not ready to give him which contributed directly to Shrew now being at ND. You seem to be blaming Shrew as well for the fact that he asked for things and didn't get them so he left.

Franklin asked for more money for his assistants, asked for big bucks to upgrade practice facilities and got them. Not so for Shrew. If Franklin had not gotten that during his contract negotiations he probably would be at USC or somewhere else right now.

We all know that if PSU wants to have the kind of support that ends up in a perenial NCAA BB team PSU needs a basketball only arena. The new BB coach should get on the phone and make that happen? No way. That's Kraft and his 100 assistant AD's jobs. And the BOD.

Our next coach needs to get the talent to PSU to win games ASAP as he manages his roster and makes sure that it has the leaders on it that can win tight games. Needs to develop those players and then get the most out of them by installing systems that do so while assembling the staff that can help him teach those traits and assemble that roster. And he needs to tell the people he works for and the alumni donors what it takes to make PSU a destination for top players regarding game day atmosphere, NIL and the rest. But the coach can only go so far and if he doesn't get the help from those he works for at PSU he'll move on just like Shrew did and the cycle will continue.

Based on this, they are extremely unlikely to come close to matching what we could pay Dusty…

In year one, Herman will earn an annual base salary of $750,000. In year two, that base salary will increase to $1,000,000. Herman will then earn $1,250,000 in year three and $1,350,000 in year four of his contract. In year five, Herman will earn a base salary of $1,500,000.

why would May take this job coming off of at worst a Final 4, at best a national championship?

unless he just loved building FAU from scratch so much that he can't wait to do it in a bigger conference. i mean i guess that is possible. but wouldn't bet on it

why would May take this job coming off of at worst a Final 4, at best a national championship?

unless he just loved building FAU from scratch so much that he can't wait to do it in a bigger conference. i mean i guess that is possible. but wouldn't bet on it
Because he’d be leaving an AAC job for a Big Ten job, and making a lot more $ while doing it. He’s certainly not long for FAU, the question is really just “when” he leaves, not “if”.

He’s had a great year, but PSU basketball is an order of magnitude bigger than FAU hoops.

Because he’d be leaving an AAC job for a Big Ten job, and making a lot more $ while doing it. He’s certainly not long for FAU, the question is really just “when” he leaves, not “if”.
well i understand that part, but the chances that he makes this his next stop are zero point zero

if he'd gotten bumped in round 2 maybe. at this point he is in Shaka Smart/Brad Stevens territory and he can go anywhere he wants, and wait for it

well i understand that part, but the chances that he makes this his next stop are zero point zero

if he'd gotten bumped in round 2 maybe. at this point he is in Shaka Smart/Brad Stevens territory and he can go anywhere he wants, and wait for it
Zero point zero? So you’d give me 100-1 odds on May getting the job? I’d take it if so (or 50-1 for that matter).

Sometimes it’s best to strike while the iron is hot….I’m sure guys like King Rice, Chris Lowery, Bob McKillop, Jim Crews, etc could have had bigger jobs if they jumped while their stock was high.

Last edited:
Zero point zero? So you’d give me 100-1 odds on May getting the job? I’d take it if so (or 50-1 for that matter).

Sometimes it’s best to strike while the iron is hot….I’m sure guys like King Rice, Chris Lowery, Bob McKillop, Jim Crews, etc could have had bigger jobs if they jumped while their stock was high.
You'd also argue that Jay Wright had a zero percent chance because you're desperate to believe there's always a chance.

I hope we are prepared to give him the NIL resources he needs to compete. The Shrewsberry NIL concerns were certainly alarming.
I'm sure that all schools want more NIL money so Shrew's concerns aren't a surprise. That said, we don't know what NIL money has been or will be available. All we can do is speculate.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I'm sure that all schools want more NIL money so Shrew's concerns aren't a surprise. That said, we don't know what NIL money has been or will be available. All we can do is speculate.
Did Pickett have some NIL deals? I am just wondering how severe it actually is

Miami simply bought their Final Four team, which probably isn't any different from Miami pre-NIL, but not sure it is a great trend. NIL alone is one thing, but NIL plus the transfer portal is wild

Did Pickett have some NIL deals? I am just wondering how severe it actually is
I have no idea. I saw someone post that men's basketball only got $1,000 and Shrews said we needed $500,000. I don't believe that for a second.

I also don't believe that Lubrano fought the idea of finding more NIL money for basketball. Same with Jay. What I CAN believe is that there was a disagreement about how existing NIL money is allocated among teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzLion
I have no idea. I saw someone post that men's basketball only got $1,000 and Shrews said we needed $500,000. I don't believe that for a second.
I don't really believe that. The total NIL for the whole team was $1,000?

I don't really believe that. The total NIL for the whole team was $1,000?
Maybe it was from one collective. I have no idea but I suspect it's pretty easy for players to make $5k for selling/signing jerseys.

Maybe it was from one collective. I have no idea but I suspect it's pretty easy for players to make $5k for selling/signing jerseys.
Lots of confusing info floating around. I have a feeling that Pickett was getting some NIL

Dusty? Rhoades? Either way it's the American Dream

I asked ChatGPT what Dusty Rhodes would have had to say about our basketball program:

"
Oh, let me tell you something, daddy! Penn State men's basketball is the epitome of the American Dream. We're talking about a team that has grit, determination, and a relentless spirit that won't back down from any challenge.

When we step onto the court, we're not just playing for ourselves. We're playing for our families, our communities, and our country. We're living the American Dream, daddy, and we're doing it one game at a time."

Last edited:
Lots of confusing info floating around. I have a feeling that Pickett was getting some NIL
I assume groups of players get paid for making appearances, signing autographs, etc. They also get paid for running summer camps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT