ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Day's job at Ohio State

saturdaysarebetter2

Nov 18, 2022
Ohio State is going all out to win a national championship at football this year seemingly even more so than most years. It drives Buckeyes fans bat sh*t crazy losing to Michigan the past three years (to me Michigan's win are tainted) but unless vacated a loss to Michigan is still a loss.

In theory, Ryan Day could lose to Michigan in the regular season, and could also lose to Michigan in the Big 10 championship game (unlikely but the possibility exists). It's also possible that Ohio State could still go on to make the college football playoff and win the national championship.

Would Ohio State fire Day if he loses to Michigan twice this year (which would make five consecutive losses to the Wolverines) despite winning the national championship? Would he be fired if they made the national championship game and lost? Would making the college football playoff be enough to keep his job? Does he have to beat Michigan to save his job despite making the playoff and any playoff success? Your thoughts?

Ohio State is going all out to win a national championship at football this year seemingly even more so than most years. It drives Buckeyes fans bat sh*t crazy losing to Michigan the past three years (to me Michigan's win are tainted) but unless vacated a loss to Michigan is still a loss.

In theory, Ryan Day could lose to Michigan in the regular season, and could also lose to Michigan in the Big 10 championship game (unlikely but the possibility exists). It's also possible that Ohio State could still go on to make the college football playoff and win the national championship.

Would Ohio State fire Day if he loses to Michigan twice this year (which would make five consecutive losses to the Wolverines) despite winning the national championship? Would he be fired if they made the national championship game and lost? Would making the college football playoff be enough to keep his job? Does he have to beat Michigan to save his job despite making the playoff and any playoff success? Your thoughts?
After Urban being the crap out of UM, and winning a single natty, Day has come in and crapped the bed in most of his big games. He's been able to sustain the recruiting and status but can't sustain losing to UM and the true elites year in and year out. To me, his demeanor and tone aren't great. When you saw Urban or Tressel, they had a great tone and attitude. Day doesn't seem to have that and I think it permeated down into the team on big games. And while they are stacked at most positions, will still be starting a new QB no matter what. The good news for tOSU is that it will be an off-year for UM and Alabama. Most of the B1G is reloading to some extent between players and coaches. (USC, Washington, Oregon). I think the UM game is going to dictate Day's future.

Reactions: WeR0206 and GSPMax
After Urban being the crap out of UM, and winning a single natty, Day has come in and crapped the bed in most of his big games. He's been able to sustain the recruiting and status but can't sustain losing to UM and the true elites year in and year out. To me, his demeanor and tone aren't great. When you saw Urban or Tressel, they had a great tone and attitude. Day doesn't seem to have that and I think it permeated down into the team on big games. And while they are stacked at most positions, will still be starting a new QB no matter what. The good news for tOSU is that it will be an off-year for UM and Alabama. Most of the B1G is reloading to some extent between players and coaches. (USC, Washington, Oregon). I think the UM game is going to dictate Day's future.
Don't forget the early season game at Oregon. If FOX didn't have so much control, the OSU game at PSU would be a night time Whiteout. Stinks that FOX has diluted the atmosphere of that game.

Win a title he's fine. Anything else....time will tell

But that starting QB - more than likely Howard from KSU - was an all-Big 12 QB (I believe 2nd team)

Win a title he's fine. Anything else....time will tell

The Bucks will enter 2024 with a preseason ranking of either 1 or 2.

Anything less than a conference championship and berth in the final playoff game will be considered a failure.

Remember, Ryan Day had no head-coaching experience before being thrust into one of the highest-profile jobs in college football. Lots of pressure on the guy this year...and little room for error.

On the other hand, his team is loaded with a huge amount of talent on hand. They'll be a solid favorite in every game they play this year...with the possible exception of Oregon on the road in mid-October which looks to me like a toss-up.

And they won't even name him the starter coming out of spring...right?
Don't know about all of that - might want to ask on an OSU site but I did read that all 5 of their QBs will be there in the Fall - no transfers out

The Bucks will enter 2024 with a preseason ranking of either 1 or 2.

Anything less than a conference championship and berth in the final playoff game will be considered a failure.

Remember, Ryan Day had no head-coaching experience before being thrust into one of the highest-profile jobs in college football. Lots of pressure on the guy this year...and little room for error.

On the other hand, his team is loaded with a huge amount of talent on hand. They'll be a solid favorite in every game they play this year...with the possible exception of Oregon on the road in mid-October which looks to me like a toss-up.
That's going to be a heck of a game and could decide the B1G winner

Don't know about all of that - might want to ask on an OSU site but I did read that all 5 of their QBs will be there in the Fall - no transfers out
Does winning the conference matter? The bye is nice but the playoff outcome is all the matters. They win the Big Ten then lose their first playoff game that Big Ten is meaningless.

I didn't browse deep, but the few things I read tried to maximize what they all did while reading the stat line was meh. They did their scoring under some weird system (aka it looked like they were scoring TDs, but they didn't).

Basically, it read like nobody really stood out and they tried to patronize Brown since they are probably in a world of hurt if the KState QB doesn't pan/gets hurt.

Any combination of losses by OSU n UM plus/or coaches fired or leaving sounds good to me. Sour grapes at its best!

Does winning the conference matter? The bye is nice but the playoff outcome is all the matters. They win the Big Ten then lose their first playoff game that Big Ten is meaningless.
JMO, but I think conference championships won't mean as much going forward with the 12-team Playoff this year. Just get in and anything can happen

Reactions: LandoComando
Urban and Tressel were Ohio natives - Day isn't

Personally, I think if Day loses to Michigan this year then I hope Ohio St keeps him. That would be hilarious. Michigan has just pushed them around for 3 years but pretty much lost everyone who did it. Ohio St is stocked to the tilt. If Day can't win a national title this year, he never will.

Personally, I think if Day loses to Michigan this year then I hope Ohio St keeps him. That would be hilarious. Michigan has just pushed them around for 3 years but pretty much lost everyone who did it. Ohio St is stocked to the tilt. If Day can't win a national title this year, he never will.
Correct. Do keep in mind that unlike Meyer, Day wins games that he should. On the other hand, he is yet to break thru. I see UM taking a big step back for a while. The top 3 teams in the B1G are Oregon, OSU and PSU. Just my opinion.

• Wow
Reactions: Westcoast24
Correct. Do keep in mind that unlike Meyer, Day wins games that he should. On the other hand, he is yet to break thru. I see UM taking a big step back for a while. The top 3 teams in the B1G are Oregon, OSU and PSU. Just my opinion.
Except that he should have beaten Michigan the last 3 years. He had a major talent advantage over them and couldn't do it.

And do you really think that Missouri had more talent on the field in your bowl game? Their recruiting classes on that field were ranked 32nd for 2023, 18th in 2022, 26th in 2021, and their senior class was 51st in 2020.

Except that he should have beaten Michigan the last 3 years. He had a major talent advantage over them and couldn't do it.

And do you really think that Missouri had more talent on the field in your bowl game? Their recruiting classes on that field were ranked 32nd for 2023, 18th in 2022, 26th in 2021, and their senior class was 51st in 2020.
Last year's UM team was their best in 25 years. This year could be OSU's. The previous 2 years, Michigan cheated. How much of an advantage was that? Who knows, but it will come out eventually.

• Love
This 100%

Last year's UM team was their best in 25 years. This year could be OSU's. The previous 2 years, Michigan cheated. How much of an advantage was that? Who knows, but it will come out eventually.
The last 3 years and perhaps for a decade or more you've had more 5 stars on your roster than all other Big 10 teams combined. Good coaching would have won all 3 of the last games against Michigan and mere competent coaching should have won at least 2 of 3.

But the talent disadvantage that Missouri had with an average class ranked #32 in the country while absolutely embarrassing Ohio St who has had top 3 in the country talent for a decade- that was pitiful. You should ask for your money back.

Look, I was disappointed with PSU losing to a top 10 Ole Miss whose recruiting class average was slightly below PSU's (in the teens). But Ohio St has been embarrassing the Big 10 for about a decade losing to teams it should beat. It's a good thing that Michigan pushed you aside and got their playoff berths because they actually did something with it.

Reactions: WeR0206
Michigan also choked the previous year. Before 2023, without OSU, the B1G would have been irrelevant on the national stage. Admittedly, OSU played a terrible game against Missouri.

Michigan also choked the previous year. Before 2023, without OSU, the B1G would have been irrelevant on the national stage. Admittedly, OSU played a terrible game against Missouri.
Yes, but Michigan corrected just 1 year later. Ohio St has yet to do so after a decade. It would probably be best for the conference if Ohio St recruits would be headed to teams that don't choke on the big stage. That means Michigan as much as I can't stand them or give another team a shot to rep the conference (PSU, Oregon, maybe even USC).

I'd say this is Day's last best chance. If he can't do it with the massive talent advantage returning this year, then it's over. He falls this year and I'd expect a mass exodus of talent to a team that actually can capitalize on it.

Reactions: WeR0206
JMO, but I think conference championships won't mean as much going forward with the 12-team Playoff this year. Just get in and anything can happen
Exactly. These teams that win conference titles that flop out in the first round will just get bashed.

Yes, but Michigan corrected just 1 year later. Ohio St has yet to do so after a decade. It would probably be best for the conference if Ohio St recruits would be headed to teams that don't choke on the big stage. That means Michigan as much as I can't stand them or give another team a shot to rep the conference (PSU, Oregon, maybe even USC).

I'd say this is Day's last best chance. If he can't do it with the massive talent advantage returning this year, then it's over. He falls this year and I'd expect a mass exodus of talent to a team that actually can capitalize on it.
I don't disagree on Day. I think that you fail to realize how difficult it is to beat Georgia and Alabama. How many NC's have been won by northern teams in the last 25 years? I believe the number is 3 and OSU has 2 of them.

I don't disagree on Day. I think that you fail to realize how difficult it is to beat Georgia and Alabama. How many NC's have been won by northern teams in the last 25 years? I believe the number is 3 and OSU has 2 of them.
The point is that Ohio St is the only other team that has had talent on par with Alabama and Georgia. Top 3 recruiting class average for at least a decade but no championships. One of these kids is not like the others.

Reactions: jjw165 and bison13
The point is that Ohio St is the only other team that has had talent on par with Alabama and Georgia. Top 3 recruiting class average for at least a decade but no championships. One of these kids is not like the others.
Admittedly, at least 1 more NC would be nice. However, you seem to think success is totally a function of the perceived talent of kids coming out of high school. Injuries, opt outs, transfers, crucial calls, sign stealing etc. also play a role.

Last edited:
Admittedly, at least 1 more NC would be nice. However, you seem to think success is totally a function of the perceived talent of kids coming out of high school. Injuries, opt outs, transfers, crucial calls,
etc. also play a role.
Not at all. I've already said that good coaching wins 3 games against Michigan and even just competent coaching wins 2 of 3. There is a clear difference in the results of Ohio St from the only other 2 teams with the same level of talent over the last decade. Same talent, no results = coaching.

Not at all. I've already said that good coaching wins 3 games against Michigan and even just competent coaching wins 2 of 3. There is a clear difference in the results of Ohio St from the only other 2 teams with the same level of talent over the last decade. Same talent, no results = coaching.
Well, take 2 years ago. UM beat OSU rather easily. I watched the whole game. UM defended OSU just about perfectly. UM then went against TCU in the playoffs. UM's defense could not stop shi* in that game. TCU then got destroyed by Georgia. OSU was a missed FG from beating Georgia. An interesting chain of events.

• Haha
Well, take 2 years ago. UM beat OSU rather easily. I watched the whole game. UM defended OSU just about perfectly. UM then went against TCU in the playoffs. UM's defense could not stop shi* in that game. TCU then got destroyed by Georgia. OSU was a missed FG from beating Georgia. An interesting chain of events.
I believe I read that somebody tipped off TCU that UM was stealing signs. TCU had four weeks since their last game leading to the playoff against UM. Not only did they change signs, they did so to deceive UM. In other words, instead of a sign calling for a play to be a specific pass play that would make UM play a certain type of defense, they changed it up so that UM would be out of position assuming they knew the play. That makes sense since TCU, a really inferior team talent-wise, scored 51 points. Remember UM's worst defensive performance that year was 27 (to MD)(we scored 17 on them that year).

Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
I believe I read that somebody tipped off TCU that UM was stealing signs. TCU had four weeks since their last game leading to the playoff against UM. Not only did they change signs, they did so to deceive UM. In other words, instead of a sign calling for a play to be a specific pass play that would make UM play a certain type of defense, they changed it up so that UM would be out of position assuming they knew the play. That makes sense since TCU, a really inferior team talent-wise, scored 51 points. Remember UM's worst defensive performance that year was 27 (to MD)(we scored 17 on them that year).
That is what I recall. My point is UM's sign stealing had a significant impact.

Reactions: Eph97
I didn't browse deep, but the few things I read tried to maximize what they all did while reading the stat line was meh. They did their scoring under some weird system (aka it looked like they were scoring TDs, but they didn't).

Basically, it read like nobody really stood out and they tried to patronize Brown since they are probably in a world of hurt if the KState QB doesn't pan/gets hurt.
Right now, I would put Howard and Brown at the same level, average throwers and decent runners, neither one of them stood out in the spring game. It also looked like both were afraid to take risks or really throw the ball down field, which imo is a problem.

Noland and Sayin, both showed flashes or being great throwers and threw with a little less pressure on them, leading to some really good throws, and a couple poor ones. Noland also showed a lot with his legs as well, but he also played against 3rd/4th stringers as well.

This year the QB just needs to manage the game with the talent around them and on defense, just dont lose the game. Next year the QB will bring Ohio State back to a pass heavy attack and a much more potent offense.

Reactions: lazydave841
Transitive property doesn't often apply.

Every time I see this thread, I want to read it as Ryan's Day Job at Ohio State. Now I read westcoast's post as Day laying. Maybe both are what is really happening there.

Perhaps Day doesn't have that fire and it is a Day Job?

Perhaps Ohio St having coaching that can't get a decade's worth of the best talent in the nation (tied with Alabama and Georgia) to actually win on the big stage is Day Laying their opportunity?

• Haha
Didn't OSU win the NC in 2015?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT