ADVERTISEMENT

Sammy Sasso shot

I've only been there once for B1G 10s when tOSU won NCAAs. It's a big campus. It's set to one side of the large city.

as Columbus is large, I'm sure it has pockets of crime. Regardless, criminals can be pretty mobile.

Reported shooting location is on SE side of campus and 2.7 miles from Covelli.
Yeah you don't have to go far in Columbus to get I to shady neighborhoods they are right up next to campus in some parts

Reactions: fronk71
What I heard yesterday was Sammy saw someone stealing his car and approached the car and was shot. That was through the Lehigh Valley rumor mill. I didn't read all the post but supposedly his parents were out of country (Mexico?) when it happened.

File in the ironic post is ironic category (from a resident genius on GIA):

“He wasn't hated. His style was boring and he was a rival of Lugo. That's it. Get well Sammy.”

People talk, and cell phone location data will probably end up catching the bastard. Let's hope so.

My money is on Sammy wrestling in the fall showing few negative physical effects. The mental changes may be huge potentially driving him in either direction. A focus and motivation like never before, or the acknowledgement that the most important things in life are more important than a game. He has earned the right to either path. The thought that a few inches could have written a completely different story, can be tough to work through in a few months let alone years.

A friend who is a doctor and ex wrestler said his biggest concern now would be an infection. Evidently an abdominal injury is susceptible to them. I’m sure the doctors treating Sammy are keeping him on an IV drip loaded with antibiotics, but it might take a little longer for him to get back to normal if an infection sets in.

File in the ironic post is ironic category (from a resident genius on GIA):

“He wasn't hated. His style was boring and he was a rival of Lugo. That's it. Get well Sammy.”
GIF by Giphy QA

From the tOSU site of you haven't been over there - https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/board/101483/Contents/scary-news-214538929/?page=2

ABC 6 just released more details about the shooting, Sasso was talking to 2 kids outside of his car, on the 1400 block of High Street.

2 armed suspects approached and after a confrontation one shot Sasso in the stomach and the other stole his vehicle.

The vehicle was recovered in northern columbus
Same happened to my Brother-In-Law some 30+ years ago. Robbed at gunpoint told to lay down on the ground and shot in the back. Unfortunately the he bled out on the street and the buddy he was with is crippled for life.

One can argue the social dynamics at play, but the truth is there are people in every city in the country, lacking any sense of morality, nor do they recognize the infinite value of a one human life.

There by the grace of God go I, to simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now that I am older, I think about such things. Like when driving in traffic and some jackass cuts me off. Where as in my 20's, I might have honked, flipped him off, maybe even sped up to cut him off.

Now I try to think a few kind thoughts as I let him go off into his future without escalating the situation. You never know who is in that car or if they might have a gun.

There is evil out there, all around us, be careful what you invite into your life.

PS - it's truly a blessing that Sammy wasn't just one more statistic. One doesn't come much closer.

Taken from his GoFundMe: https://gofund.me/e5145489

"Sammy was immediately rushed to the hospital where he underwent emergency surgery to reconstruct his colon. The following morning, he underwent another surgery to remove the bullet near his spine. As a result of the bullet’s trajectory, he sustained severe nerve damage to his spine. After spending three days in ICU, he was transferred to an acute care unit where he continues to receive care for his injuries.

Upon his release from the hospital, he will be transferred to an inpatient rehabilitation facility where he will undergo comprehensive physical therapy aimed at learning how to walk again. At this time, Sammy is unable to walk without assistance. While the doctors are hopeful that he will make a full recovery, Sammy has a long, difficult road ahead of him."

Holy sh*t. 😨

"Sammy was immediately rushed to the hospital where he underwent emergency surgery to reconstruct his colon. The following morning, he underwent another surgery to remove the bullet near his spine. As a result of the bullet’s trajectory, he sustained severe nerve damage to his spine. After spending three days in ICU, he was transferred to an acute care unit where he continues to receive care for his injuries.

Upon his release from the hospital, he will be transferred to an inpatient rehabilitation facility where he will undergo comprehensive physical therapy aimed at learning how to walk again. At this time, Sammy is unable to walk without assistance. While the doctors are hopeful that he will make a full recovery, Sammy has a long, difficult road ahead of him."

Holy sh*t. 😨
Just sent $100. Hope we can all contribute. He needs the help, prayers and best wishes of the entire wrestling community. I'd be thrilled to see him run onto the mat to wrestle again.

Holy sh*t. 😨
Thanks for the update and the link to donate. I don't know why but I didn't expect it to be this serious 😔.

Reactions: backdrft76
Its a blessing that he survived and is said to be on a path to a full recovery.

That said it's absolutely more serious than most of us quickly assumed, once he was declared in stable condition.

Statements like "Upon his release from the hospital, he will be transferred to an inpatient rehabilitation facility where he will undergo comprehensive physical therapy aimed at learning how to walk again. At this time, Sammy is unable to walk without assistance. While the doctors are hopeful that he will make a full recovery, Sammy has a long, difficult road ahead of him" are sobering to say the least.

Just sent $100. Hope we can all contribute. He needs the help, prayers and best wishes of the entire wrestling community. I'd be thrilled to see him run onto the mat to wrestle again.
Didn’t Sammy run out to the mat during introductions at tournaments with his backpack. I loved that not sure why but it cracked me up like he was planning to catch a flight right after the match. Well I hope I get to see that again

I am not trying to stir the pot or to make a political point on top of Sammy's tragedy, however I will take a wild guess and suspect all of the following are true:

1). These underage perps have a lengthy rap sheet, that has resulted in little too no consequences previously. Catch & release.

2). Both likely have grown up in broken fatherless homes.

3). The gun(s) were illegally possessed (i.e. no new gun legislation will make a difference).

4). Police enforcement in that area of town is a fraction of what it once was.

1+2+3+4 = predictable lawlessness and tragedy.

Pardon the pun, but this time the wrestling world dodged a bullet.

I am not trying to stir the pot or to make a political point on top of Sammy's tragedy, however I will take a wild guess and suspect all of the following are true:

1). These underage perps have a lengthy rap sheet, that has resulted in little too no consequences previously. Catch & release.

3). The gun(s) were illegally possessed (i.e. no new gun legislation will make a difference).

I don’t think Wild Turk would take that bet. Broken system and entirely predictable. Actions need to have consequences or actions get worse.

Absolutely senseless crime that could have taken the life of a good kid with a bright future. Juveniles or not the perpetrators need to face actual consequences for their actions. Sammy lived, but we have no idea what he faces ahead of him.

Reactions: Ski

I think the following article proves that you are definitely correct about points #1 and #3:
https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article...ests/530-d2f545cd-b874-45e6-a66a-a03e357cc9ed

The article indicates the 15 year female was the one charged with "weapon under disability":
https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-2923.13

"One of the teenagers allegedly involved had 11 warrants out for her arrest, per the report. The other had been released from the Department of Youth Services just five days before the shooting. They are due in court Sept. 5."

taken from this article:

"One of the teenagers allegedly involved had 11 warrants out for her arrest, per the report. The other had been released from the Department of Youth Services just five days before the shooting. They are due in court Sept. 5."

taken from this article:

What were they waiting for, the magical 12th warrant?

If the Sassos sued the City of Columbus and the law enforcement heads, who would blame them?

What were they waiting for, the magical 12th warrant?

If the Sassos sued the City of Columbus and the law enforcement heads, who would blame them?
They had to make sure the first 11 weren’t just the tragic circumstances of hungry people trying to feed their family by the mass shoplifting of sneakers.

• Love
Reactions: Ski and Creek Side
I noticed Tom Ryan was quoted by Flo: "He's healing. He's going to live which was the number one concern...and now it's about getting him back to a place where he can wrestle."

Not to throw shade at Ryan but "getting him to a place where he can wrestle" feels overly optimistic as compared to the GoFundMe page, which states that the immediate goal is simply walking again after sustaining severe nerve damage.

Obviously everyone would love to see Sasso wrestle again, but I think Sasso would be best served by realistic, attainable goals. One foot in front of the other. If he wrestles again--great, it's a Hollywood ending. But if he can merely get back to living a normal life of walking without pain and a cane, that's as much of a victory. And if he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, it wouldn't speak ill of his fortitude, perseverance, etc., it would just be what his body would allow.

The only certainty is that he's as mentally and physically equipped as anyone in his position, given how far he's gotten in wrestling, of taking his recovery as far as his body will allow.

I think the following article proves that you are definitely correct about points #1 and #3:
https://www.10tv.com/mobile/article...ests/530-d2f545cd-b874-45e6-a66a-a03e357cc9ed

The article indicates the 15 year female was the one charged with "weapon under disability":
https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-2923.13
As to #2, the girl is 15, so born in 2007 or 2008. Mom (with a different last name) graduated high school in 2010. I'd guess #2 is pretty solid as well.

Reactions: Split shot
"Police said the teens approached Sasso, 23, near an alley as he was talking to children outside his car about 8:30 p.m. in Columbus. Eyewitnesses told police that Sasso had been trying to run over a rat in his car, a blue 2011 Chevrolet Malibu, according to a police report. When he ran over the rat, Sasso stopped his car and got out to talk to two children, according to the police report."

A little bit strange aspect of this story.

"Police said the teens approached Sasso, 23, near an alley as he was talking to children outside his car about 8:30 p.m. in Columbus. Eyewitnesses told police that Sasso had been trying to run over a rat in his car, a blue 2011 Chevrolet Malibu, according to a police report. When he ran over the rat, Sasso stopped his car and got out to talk to two children, according to the police report."

A little bit strange aspect of this story.
Run over a rat?? I would believe that if it was Larry Lee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT