ADVERTISEMENT

Sammy Sasso shot

update taken from Iowa board:

Initially, after the surgeries they thought things looked good. But, after a few days, they found out Sammy could not walk without aid, and the new outlook was he would go to a rehab facility, but things were still looking good. It turns out he has lost a lot of weight, and they found out his colon was perforated or torn either from the gunshots, or during a surgery, and he has been excreting/leaking from it. This has caused an infection (peritonitis). They tried to repair his colon, it, but it doesn't sound like they were able to...(?)and there are concerns due to his weight loss and weakness from the infection that he may not be able to handle another surgery just yet. To make matters worse, he has yet to respond to the antibiotics used to treat the infection. The situation is very serious. Let's keep Sammy and the Sasso family in our thoughts and prayers.

I never thought I could root for a Buckeye, but I really really hope and pray the kid gets better. If he gets on a mat again, that's gravy.
I could never really root for a Buckeye on the mat, but I will root for all wrestlers (and all people really) in a situation like this. Like you, I hope we see him on the mat sometime (beating Iowa but losing to PSU, LOL), but I really hope more than anything that he just comes through this and leads a long and productive life.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
update taken from Iowa board:

Initially, after the surgeries they thought things looked good. But, after a few days, they found out Sammy could not walk without aid, and the new outlook was he would go to a rehab facility, but things were still looking good. It turns out he has lost a lot of weight, and they found out his colon was perforated or torn either from the gunshots, or during a surgery, and he has been excreting/leaking from it. This has caused an infection (peritonitis). They tried to repair his colon, it, but it doesn't sound like they were able to...(?)and there are concerns due to his weight loss and weakness from the infection that he may not be able to handle another surgery just yet. To make matters worse, he has yet to respond to the antibiotics used to treat the infection. The situation is very serious. Let's keep Sammy and the Sasso family in our thoughts and prayers.

These new problems probably justify a new thread. If I hadn't seen this on the iowa board, I would not have checked this thread. Hope he makes it through ok.

I could never really root for a Buckeye on the mat, but I will root for all wrestlers (and all people really) in a situation like this. Like you, I hope we see him on the mat sometime (beating Iowa but losing to PSU, LOL), but I really hope more than anything that he just comes through this and leads a long and productive life.

I think I'll make an exception if he gets on the mat, unless of course his opponent is wearing blue and white.

Shit. This kind of infection is no joke. Just think of an elite athlete in his prime is too weakened for surgery? Everyone needs to jump back on the prayer band wagon, if the antibiotics aren't working his condition could turn on a dime. I am sure he is in very good hands, but this sounds very serious.

Shit. This kind of infection is no joke. Just think of an elite athlete in his prime is too weakened for surgery? Everyone needs to jump back on the prayer band wagon, if the antibiotics aren't working his condition could turn on a dime. I am sure he is in very good hands, but this sounds very serious.
Everyone? Back on??
Not everyone was making welcome back Kotter jokes.

Last edited:
What’s going on in Columbus? A 2nd armed car theft in a week? Thank heaven no one was shot this time.

Edit: looks like they didn’t steal the car, “just” an armed robbery.

• Wow
Reactions: Creek Side
Great to see but hope he takes the year to properly heal and Tan Tom let’s him do so.
He has spinal nerve damage. He is learning to walk again. Wrestling is far off on the horizon. If that. I hope and believe that his inner circle is supporting what is possible at the moment to lessen any depression down the line with unmet expectations.

He has spinal nerve damage. He is learning to walk again. Wrestling is far off on the horizon. If that. I hope and believe that his inner circle is supporting what is possible at the moment to lessen any depression down the line with unmet expectations.
You are absolutely correct sir! 2 days from October and people are still taking about Sammy wrestling this year. The kid is lucky to be alive, let alone not paralyzed for life. No doubt he has a long way back, but he is a feirce competitor, and will work as hard as humanly possible on his rehab.

I hope and pray we see him back in 2024/25, but to be real, maybe even that is a 50/50 proposition. As for this season, I am not sure even if he could come back, it's wise to go this year, and unfortunately we would not see the best version of Sammy if he did. Baby steps.

Bill Murray Nw GIF

Shot in the stomach in a dark alley.

Lucky to be alive!

Beyond lucky and inspiring to see he has a shot to compete again.

There just might be a movie tied to this one in the future.

How can you not root for this kid and an amazing final chapter to his collegiate career?

God is good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT