ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship #s ?

PSUSRD

Nov 30, 2014
So, this is my breakdown

Offense:

OL- Reihner ,Mangiro, Laurent, Gaia, Dowrey, Nelson, Mahon, Sorrell, Brosnan, Beh, Wright, Jenkins, Gonzalez, Bates, Palmer

RB – Lynch, Scott, Thomas, Allen, Barkley, Robinson

WR/ATH – Lewis, Hamilton, Godwin, Blacknall, Thompkins, Zanellato, Polk, Charles, Johnson

TE- Carter, Brenneman, Gesicki, Wilkerson, Holland, Bowers

QB – Hack, McSorely, Stevens

Defense:

DT – Zettel, Johnson, White, Cothran, Barney, Windsor, K. Carter

DE – Sickels, Cothran, Brown, Nassib, Schwan, Buchholz, Givens, Miller

LB – Wartman, Bell, Cabinda, Wooten, Kline, Reeder, Farmer, Cooper, Bowen, Walker, Kelly

CB – Williams, Campbell, Haley, Worley, Reed, Taylor, Smith, Smith, J. Miller, Gaines or Kiley(I can’t remember which is no longer with the program)

S – Allen, Apke, Golden, Oruwariye, Petrishen, Monroe, Lucas

So, if my calculations are correct, this puts us at 83 schollies, this year. Does everyone have this, or am I missing someone?

So…..100 percent out of eligibility: Reihner, Mangiro, Carter, Zettel, Nassib, Kline, Williams, Lucas.

So…..83-8= 75, Walker won’t get his schollie renewed, so that put us at 74.

So……how do we sign 20 players(or more), for next year?

For the record, I believe Hack and AJ will both be back.

So, who doesn’t come back for 5th year, or xfers, because of being lost on the depth chart?

Thanks for any input.

Double-edged sword for Hack.....I believe if he has a "good" year, there's really no reason for him to stay. If he ha sa "so-so" year, maybe he comes back, but that's only bc he (PSU) didn't have that good of a season.

It's 82 (Gaines is no longer with the team) - 10 (Nassib, Lucas, Williams, Kline, Mangiro, Zellanto, Carter, Zettel, Barney, Reihner) and I agree -1 (Walker). So 71 to start.
I don't love naming names for this leaving early stuff, when it's not to go pro. It's like saying I hope this player isn't on next years team... but there are 12 RS Jrs. We've seen in past years guys not using their 5th years and then you can look at some guys who have been past over on the depth chart, especially any who have graduated already. I could see half of the RS Jrs not coming back. so that's a lot of spots right there.

Last edited:
Double-edged sword for Hack.....I believe if he has a "good" year, there's really no reason for him to stay. If he ha sa "so-so" year, maybe he comes back, but that's only bc he (PSU) didn't have that good of a season.

Even if he has a good-great year he "might" come back to play for a real chance at a Big 10 championship. With him I would "expect" the team will be MUCH better next year :) Just about everybody will be back with another year of experience :)

Reactions: Alphabets
So, this is my breakdown

Offense:

OL- Reihner ,Mangiro, Laurent, Gaia, Dowrey, Nelson, Mahon, Sorrell, Brosnan, Beh, Wright, Jenkins, Gonzalez, Bates, Palmer

WR/ATH – Lewis, Hamilton, Godwin, Blacknall, Thompkins, Zanellato, Polk, Charles, Johnson

Defense:

LB – Wartman, Bell, Cabinda, Wooten, Kline, Reeder, Farmer, Cooper, Bowen, Walker, Kelly

CB – Williams, Campbell, Haley, Worley, Reed, Taylor, Smith, Smith, J. Miller, Gaines or Kiley(I can’t remember which is no longer with the program)

So, if my calculations are correct, this puts us at 83 schollies, this year. Does everyone have this, or am I missing someone?

So…..100 percent out of eligibility: Reihner, Mangiro, Carter, Zettel, Nassib, Kline, Williams, Lucas.

So, who doesn’t come back for 5th year, or xfers, because of being lost on the depth chart?

Thanks for any input.

So, this is my breakdown

Offense:

Defense:

Thanks for any input.

Your math is pretty good. Look at all of the players with junior eligibility:

QB: Hack?
RB: Lynch will stay
OL: Dowrey, Gaia, Laurent, and Palmer will stay
TE: Wilkerson?
WR: Lewis will stay, Kiley?
DT: A. Johnson?
DE: Schwan?
LB: Wartman & Bell will probably stay, Walker?, Wooten?
DB: J. Smith?, A. Smith?, Golden?

I just listed 10 names with a ? If those 10 leave we can sign 21. We'll have even fewer for 2017 before things get back to normal in 2018. It's pretty messy. Will we cut scholarships for kids that haven't graduated? Is it impossible for Julius to earn a scholarship even if he has a great year?

Your math is pretty good. Look at all of the players with junior eligibility:

QB: Hack?
RB: Lynch will stay
OL: Dowrey, Gaia, Laurent, and Palmer will stay
TE: Wilkerson?
WR: Lewis will stay, Kiley?
DT: A. Johnson?
DE: Schwan?
LB: Wartman & Bell will probably stay, Walker?, Wooten?
DB: J. Smith?, A. Smith?, Golden?

I just listed 10 names with a ? If those 10 leave we can sign 21. We'll have even fewer for 2017 before things get back to normal in 2018. It's pretty messy. Will we cut scholarships for kids that haven't graduated? Is it impossible for Julius to earn a scholarship even if he has a great year?
If those ten leave we can sign 23 since you're counting Walker....
In 2017 there are a ton of draft eligible guys that should be good enough to get drafted, especially if the team is as good as I think they'll be in 2016.

If those ten leave we can sign 23 since you're counting Walker....
In 2017 there are a ton of draft eligible guys that should be good enough to get drafted, especially if the team is as good as I think they'll be in 2016.

Walker was already one of my 10 so you can't count him twice. This guy always does a good job with the scholarship breakdown.

http://jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUschols.htm

He shows 53 scholarship players eligible to return in 2017. I'm not sure how we get to 23 this year but let's assume you are correct. That would get us to 76 and leave us with only 9 scholarships for 2017. We would need another 10 early departures to get us back to 19.

Walker was already one of my 10 so you can't count him twice. This guy always does a good job with the scholarship breakdown.

http://jimspennstatefootball.webs.com/PSUschols.htm

He shows 53 scholarship players eligible to return in 2017. I'm not sure how we get to 23 this year but let's assume you are correct. That would get us to 76 and leave us with only 9 scholarships for 2017. We would need another 10 early departures to get us back to 19.
I'm not counting him twice. As I said assuming he is a 1 year schollie, right now we have 14 openings in 2016. If the 9 others you listed with ? leave we can sign 23. I think it will actually be 24 or more as I said in my recruiting thread today. I don't know who will leave but I'm actually in the AJ and Hack stay for '16 camp.

As for 2017 we have 54 with eligibility to return in 2017 (7 from class of '14, 23 from '15 and 24 from '16). If we sign 23 we would only have 8 for class of 2017, BUT so much is going to change between now and then. I don't think Breneman, Hamilton, Mahon, Nelson, Sickles will stay 5 years when the league is calling. I doubt Allen stays more 3 years, possibly the same with Campbell, Haley, Gesicki, Godwin and Blacknell. Think of how many guys with 3 years left of eligibility are going to contribute this year! They will get peoples attention.

Last edited:
You can make this much easier. Go to the BWI home page and click on More and then Scholarship Roster. You left off Zanellato and Barney off your Senior List. Gaines is gone so that leaves us with 13 spots for next year. I will predict that after next year Juniors that leave will be one QB, 1 WR, 1TE, 1 OL, 1DL, 2 LB, 2CB and 1S. All these players represented PSU with pride so I would prefer not to name them. I would guess 2-3 will go to the NFL of this list.

That gives us 23.

I'm not counting him twice. As I said assuming he is a 1 year schollie, right now we have 14 openings in 2016. If the 9 others you listed with ? leave we can sign 23. I think it will actually be 24 or more as I said in my recruiting thread today. I don't know who will leave but I'm actually in the AJ and Hack stay for '16 camp.

As for 2017 we have 54 with eligibility to return in 2017 (7 from class of '14, 23 from '15 and 24 from '16). If we sign 23 we would only have 8 for class of 2017, BUT so much is going to change between now and then. I don't think Breneman, Hamilton, Mahon, Nelson, Sickles will stay 5 years when the league is calling. I doubt Allen stays more 3 years, possibly the same with Campbell, Haley, Gesicki, Godwin and Blacknell. Think of how many guys with 3 years left of eligibility are going to contribute this year! They will get peoples attention.

We currently have 82 on scholarship. 10 are in their final year of eligibility which brings us to 72. My list of 10 juniors included Walker so IF they all leave that brings us to 62, leaving us with 23. I'd be surprised if they all leave but who knows.

I have 53 eligible to return in 2017. 23 in this class would leave us with 9. You mention quite a few that could leave early but none of them have done enough at this point to suggest they are NFL material. A few will probably stand out, we'll have to wait and see.

Our numbers are close. My main points are that:
  • A lot of guys have to leave early in order for us to take 23 this year.
  • The problem gets even worse next year before leveling out the following year.
  • Every scholarship given this year means one less available for next year so none should go to plan B prospects.
  • I hope we don't pull scholarships from kids that haven't graduated. That's an SEC approach, not the PSU way.

We currently have 82 on scholarship. 10 are in their final year of eligibility which brings us to 72. My list of 10 juniors included Walker so IF they all leave that brings us to 62, leaving us with 23. I'd be surprised if they all leave but who knows.

I have 53 eligible to return in 2017. 23 in this class would leave us with 9. You mention quite a few that could leave early but none of them have done enough at this point to suggest they are NFL material. A few will probably stand out, we'll have to wait and see.

• Every scholarship given this year means one less available for next year so none should go to plan B prospects.
  • I hope we don't pull scholarships from kids that haven't graduated. That's an SEC approach, not the PSU way.
Walker wouldn't have to leave he would just go back to being a Walk On

They have four years and 3 summers to graduate. If they're not starting, it's highly doubtful anyone is coming back for a 5th year. That's the new world we live in.

Reactions: bmw199
Completely agree that not a single scholly should be pulled. It's not how I want to see PSU do business, even at the risk of losing out on some prospects. That will go a long way in the minds of future recruits and their families knowing they won't be pushed out the door.

Scumbags like Meyer and Saban can do that if they want, but I'd rather have success with honor.

If we have to pass on potential recruits bc we run out of available spots, so be it. Be honest with a potential recruit when you offer and tell them there is no pressure, but it is simply a numbers game and first come first served. They have an offer, but once we hit our limit, we will no longer be able to accept a commitment.

What hasn't been mentioned so far -- academic scholarships, walk-on status, grey shirts.

tOSU might make way for 8 recruits that are border line academic failures (but football talented), but Penn State is highly ranked in academic circles and hard to enter let alone stay qualified to play. The above issues may prove beneficial to the total scholarship numbers, let's hope to use all possibilities for recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT