ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: PSU punt in 4Q

PSU2UNC

Feb 9, 2016
Sorry if this was already posted but what happened with the PSU punt at the beginning of the fourth quarter?

It sounded like (double thump) that is got blocked, but the replay didn't seem to show the UCLA player touching it.

It traveled 38 yards (from LOS, so at least 48 yards from kick spot) -- so it's possible the defender got a finger on it, but they didn't say it was blocked on the TV broadcast. It is in the ESPN box score as a block.

If it wasn't blocked, it was a clear roughing the punter.

Did the referee explain anything? Usually in that case, you'll get a "there was no flag for roughing the punter because the ball was tipped by the return team" (or something similar. Did TV miss it or did the ref just not explain?

Thanks

New rule about the rugby style punters. If you move 5 yards from the spot where punt was snapped to, you give away your punter protection and it's not a running/roughing penalty.

TV didn't mention the rule best I remember, but the game thread had a poster share a twitter post clarifying.

OK, thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

I had heard of that rule but didn't realize it was only 5 yards.

To your point, that was a red flag and hopefully, a learning moment. Punter misjudged the rush and waited too long. I think he had gotten comfortable with taking his time but needs to be more aware of the rush.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT