ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens Transfer Portal

If Clifford had JoeMo running the offense, I doubt that many of McSorley's records would remain by the time Clifford was done (just IMO).

I also (just IMO) don't think either TS or Clifford was/is likely to experience smooth sailing in 2019 (time will tell, of course).... but at least this move by TS, apparently, eliminates the huge conundrum for CJF wrt the QB race.
That certainly simplifies the process of the squad knowing who the top dog is, and makes it a bit easier for that guy to slide into a leadership spot.
But it also, of course, eliminates one talented QB from the roster.

Overall, is that a net plus? A net minus? Who knows.
Net plus?! Very high on Clifford - but he is totally green. He threw a TD against Akron (or was it Pitt?) and against Kent State. And now we have no depth. What if Clifford gets hurt? Not that anything could be done if Clifford looks like the better of the two, but no way this is a good thing for PSU.

TS needs to do what is best for him at this point. If he got some sort of guarantee that the job was his in the fall and then that deal got nixed, I could understand his frustration and desire to leave in that setting. If he does decide to go, it will be interesting to see if he or his family choose to burn some bridges on the way out of town.

Reactions: TheGLOV
You can’t name a guy starting QB who hasn’t gotten regular live QB reps in 18 months. Stevens is always injured. Clifford could be a 3 year starter ( if Levis doesn’t surpass him) just like Trace.

The guy is always hurt. I don't care how much of a "good soldier" he's always been. I think he was told some stuff he didn't want to hear. No great loss if he goes.

I don't think it's accurate to say Tommy is "always hurt". He's had one injury which apparently wasn't fixed right the first time. And during Tommy's first couple years on the field, all or us were excited about his physical playing style.

If he decides to transfer it'll likely be to a school which promises him the starting job. Why would he go someplace where there is no guarantee when it seems like that's the very reason he is looking around??

TS needs to do what is best for him at this point. If he got some sort of guarantee that the job was his in the fall and then that deal got nixed, I could understand his frustration and desire to leave in that setting. If he does decide to go, it will be interesting to see if he or his family choose to burn some bridges on the way out of town.

I think they already lit the match sir.

I am OK with Clifford running the offense. I wonder where Stevens would go to get a better opportunity than PSU? Having said that, he may be asking the same thing and just entered the portal to see what kind of action he gets. Like others, who have decided to NOT xfer.

You also have to wonder when the portal closes. I would hope that the portal would close before spring ball so a team can count on who will and will not be there for the season's start.

So this guy was neck and neck with McSorely all this time, but now he's not as good as Clifford?

I always felt that was the nicest way of saying "you are our #2 QB" and not a true indictment of what his skills were. The reality is, we played Trace hurt and did not replace him at vital points during the regular season (Tommy came in late vs Michigan, a game which many felt he should have started).

Stevens must have been told Clifford has the edge or that he's not guaranteed the starting job. By entering the portal at this point, he's eliminated from the competition until he removes his name, no?

Reactions: ftlpsu
I am OK with Clifford running the offense. I wonder where Stevens would go to get a better opportunity than PSU? Having said that, he may be asking the same thing and just entered the portal to see what kind of action he gets. Like others, who have decided to NOT xfer.

You also have to wonder when the portal closes. I would hope that the portal would close before spring ball so a team can count on who will and will not be there for the season's start.

Portal doesn't close. Transfer has to be effected in time so that the player can enroll in his new school in order to practice/play.

Net plus?! Very high on Clifford - but he is totally green. He threw a TD against Akron (or was it Pitt?) and against Kent State. And now we have no depth. What if Clifford gets hurt? Not that anything could be done if Clifford looks like the better of the two, but no way this is a good thing for PSU.
Trace had loads of experience as a sophomore leading PSU to B1G title?

I don't think it's accurate to say Tommy is "always hurt". He's had one injury which apparently wasn't fixed right the first time. And during Tommy's first couple years on the field, all or us were excited about his physical playing style.

If he decides to transfer it'll likely be to a school which promises him the starting job. Why would he go someplace where there is no guarantee when it seems like that's the very reason he is looking around??
Exactly. If I remember, Clifford was injured his most of his senior HS year and that injury lingered into his first year at PSU and caused him to redshirt.

If he goes, its just one more year of experience SC has before the 2020 season. That is the one to cirlce and the one PSU has been preparing to be able to truly take next step. Would make sense to give SC the reigns now and grow together with offensive skill guys who are so young.

I believe he got "Wally Pipped" to some degree.

My guess is that IF Stevens had been healthy last year and got all the snaps as the #2 behind Trace. And IF Stevens had been healthy this Spring and got all the #1 snaps in practice .... then Stevens would pretty much be the anointed "next in line" starting QB.

BUT, Stevens was NOT healthy last year which partially opened the door for Clifford to show what he could do as the #2 behind Trace. Then Stevens was NOT healthy again this Spring which opened the door a little further for Clifford to show what he could do in taking all the #1 snaps in Spring practice.

I think this was just a simple case of Clifford being pretty darn impressive, and impressive enough to plant enough question in the minds' of the staff to make it an open competition.

Stevens got "Wally Pipped".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT