ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens Transfer Portal

If Clifford had JoeMo running the offense, I doubt that many of McSorley's records would remain by the time Clifford was done (just IMO).

I also (just IMO) don't think either TS or Clifford was/is likely to experience smooth sailing in 2019 (time will tell, of course).... but at least this move by TS, apparently, eliminates the huge conundrum for CJF wrt the QB race.
That certainly simplifies the process of the squad knowing who the top dog is, and makes it a bit easier for that guy to slide into a leadership spot.
But it also, of course, eliminates one talented QB from the roster.

Overall, is that a net plus? A net minus? Who knows.

Speaking of JoeMo, does he make a run at Tommy? Looks like they have a soph with almost no experience listed as the starter

8f685ab6-1d84-43dc-87d4-6c97922b2bad_text_hi.gif

Net plus?! Very high on Clifford - but he is totally green. He threw a TD against Akron (or was it Pitt?) and against Kent State. And now we have no depth. What if Clifford gets hurt? Not that anything could be done if Clifford looks like the better of the two, but no way this is a good thing for PSU.

McSorley was green as well prior to his first start. He got to play a little more than half of a bowl game, but that's not much really given there would be a new offense to learn that spring.

I'm worried about the depth part. If Stevens was the starter, I'd feel comfortable with Clifford as the backup. Now that Clifford appears to be the starter, I'm not so comfortable with Levis as the backup. I like what I've seen, but he has no actual playing experience in real games.

Reactions: marshall23
McSorley was green as well prior to his first start. He got to play a little more than half of a bowl game, but that's not much really given there would be a new offense to learn that spring.

I'm worried about the depth part. If Stevens was the starter, I'd feel comfortable with Clifford as the backup. Now that Clifford appears to be the starter, I'm not so comfortable with Levis as the backup. I like what I've seen, but he has no actual playing experience in real games.
How does Clifford have any playing experience in real games?

Everybody wants the best at their position to play until they don’t. If Franklin thinks Stevens is the guy he can keep Stevens by naming him the starter. I have a feeling he hasn’t done so because Clifford is simply better. Maybe not a better runner, but I bet you he’s a better passer. I haven’t seen a QB throw the deep ball at Penn State that accurately since Collins. (No, I’m not saying he’s the next Kerry Collins, but it’s obvious he’s got all the tools.)

I think Clifford might prove to be better than both of them in the end, but I still think Tommy is the best bet for this fall. I hope he stays.
No matter how you slice it.....it hurts with depth. If TS started, you had a good QB in Clifford or vice versa.....now if Clifford goes down, its the Pinstripe Bowl at best.

maybe his injury will not mend by the start of this year. That would make him the second string QB. if he gets a medical redshirt, he still would most likely not get to start here. So if he goes to a different school with a senior QB he may get to start there.

I wish him well. I totally understand if Stevens doesn't want to be a backup this year but I also understand the team's need to move on at the QB position.

Stevens isn't "always injured" -- he was healthy his entire career until last fall when something pretty serious happened. Just bad timing as this is time the team needs him to get time practicing in the offense and get time with the receivers which he hasn't been able to do.

Franklin has to play the QB who gives the team the best shot at success. It has to be a competition and Stevens can't be part of the competition right now.

I'm so sad for him, it's a loss for the team but it wouldn't be the right answer to just promise him the starting job in late August as soon as the doctors declare him fit to play. Paterno might have done that in the old days, but it's not how it's done at the top level of college football today.

Maybe there is a school out there -- at a lower level obviously -- that can guarantee him playing time in a less pressured situation where he can play one season and show the NFL what he's capable of. I really hope there is an opportunity for him out there because he is a fabulous player and has been a great leader on this team.

Good luck to Stevens.

At its root, I wouldn't be surprised if it stems back to last November 3rd. Stevens likely lost confidence in Coach James Franklin during the 2nd half of the Michigan game --- when Franklin was being dumb and made 5 separate QB changes in 1 half, including twice re-inserting an already hurt McSorley for Stevens.

Irresponsible coaching from Franklin that led to his players losing confidence in him.

This is just unbelievable. To me, that's a really bad attitude if he isn't willing to compete for the starting job. Franklin would be in the wrong if he named a starter right now since there is no returning starter. I would think that no matter where TS goes, he will have to compete and at Penn State, he has the advantage of years in the system. I just can't imagine that SC is so good that TS thinks his chances are slim.

This is just unbelievable. To me, that's a really bad attitude if he isn't willing to compete for the starting job. Franklin would be in the wrong if he named a starter right now since there is no returning starter. I would think that no matter where TS goes, he will have to compete and at Penn State, he has the advantage of years in the system. I just can't imagine that SC is so good that TS thinks his chances are slim.

I agree with you. I cant recall the last time Penn State named a starting QB before the summer months. Even if it was known with Trace last year, CJF always said it was an open competition until early August..

Reactions: canuckhal
I wish TS well. I'm disappointed in his decision. If he thinks that CJF should hand him the job, then he's just not realistic. Even if Sean were to win the job he'd be a contributing factor and one play away from being the starter. I have no idea what his options may be going forward. MAC school, lower P5? But again wish him well.

Reactions: flash86
How does Clifford have any playing experience in real games?

He has actually been on the field running plays. Not many. But I've seen him perform and didn't think it was too big for him.

Really all I was saying is that I felt more comfortable with a depth chart of Stevens / Clifford than Clifford / Levis. Is that really a problem for you?

Good luck to Stevens.

At its root, I wouldn't be surprised if it stems back to last November 3rd. Stevens likely lost confidence in Coach James Franklin during the 2nd half of the Michigan game --- when Franklin was being dumb and made 5 separate QB changes in 1 half, including twice re-inserting an already hurt McSorley for Stevens.

Irresponsible coaching from Franklin that led to his players losing confidence in him.
FIRE FRANKLIN:eek:

Flounders' post-BW-game video had an interesting observation. Flounders had a hunch that if Clifford got to start for PSU that he wasn't going to relinquish the job. Flouders has seen a lot of all the QBs and Clifford has something.

I've been a little bit of a skeptic about Cliff because he is just immobile enough to be a big sack producer. Protection has to be really good or receivers have to get open almost immediately. But if protection is good, the guy throws a beautiful long ball -- he could be another Kerry Collins type. He can make a lot of throws that McSorley couldn't, and that changes the way secondaries have to play PSU.

Now that Levis is the second-most-senior QB, he'll be a lot of people's favorite -- but he's been my favorite for a while. Levis (reportedly) has really good foot speed AND a really good arm. Levis is the closest thing to being able to run the offense the way McSorley ran it. I don't think Stevens ever proved himself as a consistent thrower, and Cliff is a little too much of a statue for my taste. (and I hasten to add I would love to be wrong about this)

Last edited:
I wish TS well. I'm disappointed in his decision. If he thinks that CJF should hand him the job, then he's just not realistic. Even if Sean were to win the job he'd be a contributing factor and one play away from being the starter. I have no idea what his options may be going forward. MAC school, lower P5? But again wish him well.

As we've learned in the past, going into the portal doesn't mean anything. Until he's on another roster, then we should wish him well. For all we know, he's trying to make a point, as others have done.

Go screw yourself.

In fact do it:

Yes!!! FOUR times!!!

Screw yourself FOUR TIMES!!!!

(thunder and lightning)

SIGNATURE WIN :rolleyes:

That’s fantastic norm. Well done.

I don’t blame Stevens for leaving. And, other than the depth chart, I’m not really disappointed for him to go. Good luck to him wherever he ends up.

Reactions: flash86
IMO, Franklin is doing what's right for the team, and Tommy just learned a lesson he will never forget.

I really, really wish him the best.

Unless there is more to this that what was announced, all CJF did was say that a QB starter won't be announced until Stevens gets healthy and competes for the position. If Stevens would come into Fall practice he should win the position due to his athletic prowess and his experience. But CJF is not awarding the starting spot to someone that had to sit out most of the last year, and I believe that supports the competition that a top team needs. It shows the young guys that seniority alone is not the ticket to playing time, and that is part of what attracts the top recruits.

So this guy was neck and neck with McSorely all this time, but now he's not as good as Clifford?

How good is he on the side lines? I wish Stevens would stay, get healthy over the summer, and come to camp with bells on. If that happened there is no doubt in my mind that he would win the job over Clifford. But any player that can't go to practice and compete isn't much good to a top team. In the NCAA or in the NFL, if that is Stevens' vision.... CJF has stated that he wants a team and roster where every player has to compete constantly for their starting role. It seems Stevens is not up for that type of challenge.

Maybe he read the McAndrew board and his feelings were hurt. Seriously, JF was starting one on one meetings with players this week. I guess they had "the talk".

Good point. This week CJF and the coaches were going to have one-on-ones with each player. It would seem that CJF likely re-stated that the QB competition would extend into Fall practice, and Stevens wanted the official nod while he was

Hedging? That does not make sense. No jobs will be won (or lost) between now and the start of Fall practice. And if Stevens really does move on he will need to get to his new destination by mid-summer at the latest in order to assimilate himself into his new team and the senior QB role on that team, as well as to learn the new play book going into their Fall practice.

He might have received news he didn't want to hear directly after the spring game.

Franklin may have also approached him about an open competition come August - if he were to lose the job to Clifford at that point, there's a pretty limited chance to transfer at that point. Could be hard to take that risk.
That is about what it comes down to. Franklin could not guarantee Tommy the start with him not practicing. Subsequently, Tommy needs to head somewhere that has an immediate QB need even if it is a FCS contender. It can be a win/win for all parties. Wish Tommy the best because he has been loyal, but his questionable health is his Achilles heal (figuratively speaking).

College backup QB's typically do not have much experience. The up side of this situation, if Stevens move on, is that Levis got 2nd team reps all Spring. And going into Fall the coaches, likely feeling pretty good about Clifford, will try and get Levis ready as the 2nd teamer from the get go. That is a much better situation than if Stevens would return, win the job, and then get hurt, again, in the first game and not be available for the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT