ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens Transfer Portal

I don’t like complaining. But I do like beating the likes of Michigan State and Kentucky.

The likes of Kentucky? While Kentucky isn't elite, they are a consistent top 30 recruiting program with the occasional top 20. Sometimes things come together in a certain year for programs like that. They have 11 players with the possibility of being drafted, with a top 10 pick and another 1st rounder. They finished ranked higher than every team in the big ten except Ohio State.

Stevens could be a very good QB this year at a top school. But his market value is still really low due to injury history and so little game tape.

I still think he ends up at FCS.

No one worth playing for at the FBS level is going to give him a starting job at this point. Agreed, FCS is the way to go for him

No one worth playing for at the FBS level is going to give him a starting job at this point. Agreed, FCS is the way to go for him

It was a hasty decision by them. Even after sitting out the spring, he had a greater than 50% chance of starting here. Where is he going to go, learn the playbook from scratch in the summer, and win the job from guys who have been getting reps in that system all along? And look good enough doing it to be drafted? I get he waited a long time for his chance, but you have to compete. Nothing is handed to you.

It was a hasty decision by them. Even after sitting out the spring, he had a greater than 50% chance of starting here. Where is he going to go, learn the playbook from scratch in the summer, and win the job from guys who have been getting reps in that system all along? And look good enough doing it to be drafted? I get he waited a long time for his chance, but you have to compete. Nothing is handed to you.

If you can't win the starting job at PSU, what makes one think they will be drafted into the NFL?

Reactions: TheGLOV
If you can't win the starting job at PSU, what makes one think they will be drafted into the NFL?

Pretty sure a lot of players have transferred due to lack of playing time and gone on to play in the NFL. I doubt many of them did it in their last year tho

I would be hesitant because I don't want to deal with Stevens' father. His father, and I understand he wants to promote and support his son, has given Tommy a bad look in my opinion.

In my observation, any time the father does too much talking, the situation does not really play out well for the athlete. It portrays the young man as a Prima Donna--fairly or not.

Pretty sure a lot of players have transferred due to lack of playing time and gone on to play in the NFL. I doubt many of them did it in their last year tho

I'm trying to think of another QB that transferred between FBS schools and then was drafted - I can only come up with Russell Wilson. And he transferred to Wisconsin because his coach didn't like him playing baseball instead of concentrating on football, not because he lost a QB competition.

I'm trying to think of another QB that transferred between FBS schools and then was drafted - I can only come up with Russell Wilson. And he transferred to Wisconsin because his coach didn't like him playing baseball instead of concentrating on football, not because he lost a QB competition.
Troy Aikman comes to mind, and there are probably several more.

It's certainly a current trend. Speaking of Wisconin, I didn't realize until recently that Wisconsin lost QB Hornibrook to Florida State (not that he's a great pro prospect, but Wisconsin could be worse off).

I would be hesitant because I don't want to deal with Stevens' father. His father, and I understand he wants to promote and support his son, has given Tommy a bad look in my opinion.

In my observation, any time the father does too much talking, the situation does not really play out well for the athlete. It portrays the young man as a Prima Donna--fairly or not.

You obviously never met Mr. Kendra!

You should have heard him talk-up-his-son at the FSU bookstore after buying a ton of stuff for his son!! (while he was a PSU committ)

Jeff Hostetler?

Reactions: BBrown

Jeff Hostetler?

Baker Mayfield

Last year's #1 draft pick.

Really? I hadn't heard a word out of Steven's father in 4 years. So, the first time he vents his frustration makes his son a prima donna?

The likes of Kentucky? While Kentucky isn't elite, they are a consistent top 30 recruiting program with the occasional top 20. Sometimes things come together in a certain year for programs like that. They have 11 players with the possibility of being drafted, with a top 10 pick and another 1st rounder. They finished ranked higher than every team in the big ten except Ohio State.
Kentucky sucks. If we want to be elite, beating teams like this are a must.

Troy Aikman comes to mind, and there are probably several more.

It's certainly a current trend. Speaking of Wisconin, I didn't realize until recently that Wisconsin lost QB Hornibrook to Florida State (not that he's a great pro prospect, but Wisconsin could be worse off).

I agree with you guys, and forgot about Aikman, Hostetler, and of course Mayfield. I should have been more specific about my thoughts there. I was think of a QB transferring with only one year of eligibility left. I’m not sure about Aikman and Hostetler, but I know Mayfield had a lot of eligibility left - and there was a big argument in the Big 12 about it.

What about Pat Devlin? Oh wait, that was just an unnamed poster insisting that he would be drafted by Round 2.

I agree with you guys, and forgot about Aikman, Hostetler, and of course Mayfield. I should have been more specific about my thoughts there. I was think of a QB transferring with only one year of eligibility left. I’m not sure about Aikman and Hostetler, but I know Mayfield had a lot of eligibility left - and there was a big argument in the Big 12 about it.

As a practical matter, before the grad transfer rule allowed transfers to play immediately there weren't many opportunities for a player to to transfer and play one at the FBS level. How many coaches were going to tie up two years of scholarship count for one year of play? And how many starters were going to sit out a year to play a year elsewhere?

Baker Mayfield
Joe Flacco (to FBS)
Nick Foles
Scott Frost
Ryan Mallett
Jacoby Brissett
Davis Webb
Jake Rudock
Jeff Driskel

Not exactly a future list of HOF candidates there.

No one said anything about the HOF

Flacco and Foles are going to make over 100M in their career. Frost doing pretty well for himself.

The other 5 are going get their pensions and probably average about 10M in career earnings. I think Tommy would sign up for that

Flacco sure. Foles has been a career backup who manages to strike gold once in a while. Frost is doing fine, but that has nothing to do with the transfer.

And for every one of those guys that did make the NFL, there's Rob Bolden, Paul Jones, Tyler Ferguson, etc, etc

Aikman broke his leg fairly early in his sophomore season. Holieway was a year younger and better suited for the wishbone Switzer's teams had traditionally run> he proceeded to lead OU to an MNC. Hostetler also transferred after his sophomore year. Blackledge beat him for the starting job in 1980 and was one year behind him, so Hostetler was going to have to find a way to supplant a guy who had played well as a first year starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown and OzLion
Aikman broke his leg fairly early in his sophomore season. Holieway was a year younger and better suited for the wishbone Switzer's teams had traditionally run, and lead OU to an MNC. Hostetler also transferred after his sophomore year. Blackledge beat him for the starting job in 1980, and was one year behind him, so Hostetler was going to have to find a way to supplant a guy who had played well as a first year starter.

A few interesting notes relative to your post, Dave:

1. Jeff Hostetler was the anti-Jim Kelly ... i.e., Hostetler was a Parade All-American at linebacker. Joe used him at QB. Heck, maybe if Joe did as he is so often accused of doing, Jeff might have stayed the 4 years and made AA at LB. ;)

2. Todd Blackledge earned my seal of approval as a freshman in 1980 when he ran for 40+ yards to beat Missouri ... on an OPTION play! :)

3. I was able to see both QBs in person when Penn State came to Texas and whipped the Aggies in College Station in 1980. Awesome game!

Reactions: BBrown
A few interesting notes relative to your post, Dave:

1. Jeff Hostetler was the anti-Jim Kelly ... i.e., Hostetler was a Parade All-American at linebacker. Joe used him at QB. Heck, maybe if Joe did as he is so often accused of doing, Jeff might have stayed the 4 years and made AA at LB. ;)

2. Todd Blackledge earned my seal of approval as a freshman in 1980 when he ran for 40+ yards to beat Missouri ... on an OPTION play! :)

3. I was able to see both QBs in person when Penn State came to Texas and whipped the Aggies in College Station in 1980. Awesome game!

Was also at the 25-9 victory over A&M. My brother’s law school friend’s dad was a major booster at A&M, he got us four incredible seats on the 50yd line, maybe 40 rows up. Not another Penn State fan within 50 yds of me.

Had to celebrate during the game rather quietly and respectively.....a 5-6 year old right ahead of me had one of those big floppy A&M fingers and he bopped me on the head a few times.

Reactions: Option Bob
Flacco sure. Foles has been a career backup who manages to strike gold once in a while. Frost is doing fine, but that has nothing to do with the transfer.

And for every one of those guys that did make the NFL, there's Rob Bolden, Paul Jones, Tyler Ferguson, etc, etc

So what? No one is arguing that transferring is a sure-fire way to NFL stardom

It will be interesting to see if Stevens ends up at Miami of Ohio. It would not be a bad platform for him to go to and put up some good numbers. Miami just lost a three year starter at QB, and the backups are young with zero game experience. The Illini have 3-4 QBs fighting for the starting job and Miss St has a pretty athletic but unproven JR QB.

Reactions: Kmase21
Going to either IL or Miss St does not seem to offer the clear path to start that Tommy and his Dad seem to have prioritized. UM of OH would seem to be more in a position to offer a starting spot. By who knows....

It will be interesting to see if Stevens ends up at Miami of Ohio. It would not be a bad platform for him to go to and put up some good numbers. Miami just lost a three year starter at QB, and the backups are young with zero game experience. The Illini have 3-4 QBs fighting for the starting job and Miss St has a pretty athletic but unproven JR QB.

A tall, strong, franchise QB getting drafting in the first round out of Miami of Ohio would not be without precedent.

Reactions: MoyerJones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT