ADVERTISEMENT

Stevens Transfer Portal

if you are going to yell, again here is the original statement in question, ‘Curious if anyone thinks the Trace vs Tommy decision was made because Trace came from Vandy with Franklin?’

so explain to me, without yelling, how Trace got from Vandy to PSU if he didnt transfer?? No one had to say it, it is right there. And that is what I replied to.
Again, because most normal people consider “being committed to a school and then decommitting and committing to a different school to follow the coach that recruited you” to be accurately described as “coming from the school with the coach.” He was going to be at Vanderbilt, Franklin leaves for Penn State, and then he’s going to Penn State. He came with Franklin from Vanderbilt, full stop.

Reactions: step.eng69
I'm not sure this is new. It's always been a problem with the QB position. Pretty much any other position, if you can play, you'll get a starting position or at least serious playing time in a rotation. QB is the only position where at most programs, only one player gets meaningful playing time.

It would be great if QBs could rotate like other positions. In most cases it would be good for the starter to get some rest and coaching for a series a few times a game. But at the college level it's just too disruptive for the offense to do that. You risk snap count problems, center snap exchange problems, timing with receivers. Almost no college programs are able to pull it off.

So at the elite programs you have elite quarterbacks -- many with NFL potential -- riding the bench with no way to get game experience. And it's a position where game experience matters probably more than any other position.

So you lose the starting job (or you MIGHT lose the starting job as is the case with Stevens), you think about transferring.

The only thing that has really changed is the portal (which is a really nice innovation by the NCAA, to make the process transparent) and the graduate transfer rule.

Fact is we are just going to see more and more of this--it's not just at PSU that this is happening. Backups used to be willing to wait their turn. And that's going to make it tougher for teams to win championships when the main guy gets hurt. Think of tOSU a few years ago when they lost their top two OB's in succession late in the season to injury. We'll probably never see that happen again.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Again, because most normal people consider “being committed to a school and then decommitting and committing to a different school to follow the coach that recruited you” to be accurately described as “coming from the school with the coach.” He was going to be at Vanderbilt, Franklin leaves for Penn State, and then he’s going to Penn State. He came with Franklin from Vanderbilt, full stop.
while they may consider it to be the same, it aint, and not even close. If you dont know anything about the history of TM and read, 'he came from Vandy with Franklin', intelligent people would read that as, 'okay he was a Vandy with Franklin so if Franklin left Vandy so did TM' . But keep digging.

If you dont know anything about the history of TM and read, 'he came from Vandy with Franklin', intelligent people would read that as, 'okay he was a Vandy with Franklin so if Franklin left Vandy so did TM' . But keep digging.

Yeah, and that was clarified a looooooong time ago. So why are you still digging? You dig much further and you're going to come out the other side.

Yeah, and that was clarified a looooooong time ago. So why are you still digging? You dig much further and you're going to come out the other side.
that may have been clarified a long time ago, but not before I said what I said to start this, I didnt respond any more at that point relative to the clarification But then Illinoislion said I was spinning things well after the point. So I clarified it again, and will again if you ask, but for the record, 'he came from Vandy with Franklin' is different from saying, 'when Franklin left Vandy to PSU, TM changed his commitment from Vandy to PSU'

that may have been clarified a long time ago, but not before I said what I said to start this, I didnt respond any more at that point relative to the clarification But then Illinoislion said I was spinning things well after the point. So I clarified it again, and will again if you ask, but for the record, 'he came from Vandy with Franklin' is different from saying, 'when Franklin left Vandy to PSU, TM changed his commitment from Vandy to PSU'

I'm dumbfounded that you feel the need to keep going with this. You know the point was clarified, so you're only trying to ????? I don't know, we're all fairly anonymous here, so what do you gain from "winning" this?

You can have the last word. I'm out.

Reactions: grinagrin
Sorry if already posted, but there's a theory that Trace got the starting nod over Steven's mainly because he followed Franklin to PSU from Vandy.

If so, that may be why Steven's has hard feelings.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sorry if already posted, but there's a theory that Trace got the starting nod over Steven's mainly because he followed Franklin to PSU from Vandy.

If so, that may be why Steven's has hard feelings.

Why did Hack start over Mcsorley? Why didn't the Sorrel and Brosnan start?

Why doesn't Stevens SR start every player on his HS team? What is the theory on that?

Last edited:
Weak theory. Why did Hack start over Mcsorley? Why didn't the Sorrel and Brosnan start?

Why doesn't Stevens SR start every player on his HS team? What is the theory on that?

Oh crap. Somebody please kill this thread. PLEASE!!!!!!??????!!!!!

if you are going to yell, again here is the original statement in question, ‘Curious if anyone thinks the Trace vs Tommy decision was made because Trace came from Vandy with Franklin?’

so explain to me, without yelling, how Trace got from Vandy to PSU if he didnt transfer?? No one had to say it, it is right there. And that is what I replied to.
Trace didn’t transfer from Vandy. He decommitted then committed to PS.

That’s now the second LIE you’ve made in these threads.....I NEVER said Trace TRANSFERED from Vandy. Spin away.
now that you've called me a liar, you said, quoting, 'Trace came from Vandy with Franklin?’ So if he did, how did he get here? the only way I know of someone leaving Vandy for PSU is via transfer.

Jim I agree it is sad somebody calls you a liar when his own words show otherwise.
We've been through this. This is a PSU board, so we all know that Trace didn't transfer. As a result, a perfectly acceptable interpretation of "Trace came from Vandy with Franklin" is that he committed to Vanderbilt when Franklin was the coach there and decommitted and then committed to Penn State when Franklin was named head coach at HV. As Raffycorn said, you're making a distinction without a difference. It's sad that you're alienating a whole group of good posters here for no reason any of us can discern. That's not just sad, it's pathetic.

Reactions: 81b&w
We've been through this. This is a PSU board, so we all know that Trace didn't transfer. As a result, a perfectly acceptable interpretation of "Trace came from Vandy with Franklin" is that he committed to Vanderbilt when Franklin was the coach there and decommitted and then committed to Penn State when Franklin was named head coach at HV. As Raffycorn said, you're making a distinction without a difference. It's sad that you're alienating a whole group of good posters here for no reason any of us can discern. That's not just sad, it's pathetic.

Jim listen I get it, but this whole situation started with this statement:

because Trace came from Vandy with Franklin

to which I replied.....
Trace came from Vandy?? Hmmm I did not know that. That was it...
then a couple of people said what you said, he committed de committed etc
at that point I said ,'that is entirely different (saying he decommitted) from saying, ' Trace came from Vandy' (, the only way he comes from Vandy is via transfer, and that is the distinction with a difference, and if you cant see that a person decommitting, and a person transferring schools are 2 entirely different situations, then SMH..)

See I think Illinoislion was trying to stir some shiat up when he even posed his thoughts as a question (so he could stand behind the, oh I never said that, I was just asking a question) , Do you think TM got picked over TS because TM came here from Vandy with CJF.
And that why I responded as I did, because his basic premise for his Shiat stirring was flawed
Then I started getting attacked, I defended myself. That's it. So if you think it is pathetic to defend yourself, after you've been called a liar well okay.
FTR, there is a whole group of posters I could care less about , you, however are not among them.

while they may consider it to be the same, it aint, and not even close. If you dont know anything about the history of TM and read, 'he came from Vandy with Franklin', intelligent people would read that as, 'okay he was a Vandy with Franklin so if Franklin left Vandy so did TM' . But keep digging.

Stick to yer guns, slugger. I'm rootin' for ya!

Reactions: bmw199 and LionJim

Suggest playback at MAX volume...and please listen to all 10 hours, so that the rest of us get 10 hours of peace and quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 81b&w
QUOTE="sluggo72, post: 4112829, member: 6184"]So when was Trace at Vanderbilt?
When was Franklin at Vanderbilt?[/QUOTE]
Whether he ever enrolled or not, how many times did Trace commit to play for James Franklin?

Your post reminds me of the time Bette Davis (the actress) sent a case of Scotch to an alcoholic for Christmas.

He's right. Some on this board have difficulty with, or at least lack of respect for, the English language.

He's right. Some on this board have difficulty with, or at least lack of respect for, the English language.
Spare me. Being technically correct is one thing, but to go to the lengths he did to defend such an excessively pedantic stance on a easily understandable phrase in a thread on a college football message board was just over the top. Not everyone is as scrupulously precise in their use of English as you and I are, Art, but that’s hardly a crime.

Last edited:
Have no idea what point you are making. My point is that Farmer was given a year of starts and snaps out of loyalty but Stevens was not afforded the same luxury. And Stevens’ record as a player is far superior to Farmer.

I still don't think Farmer was given snaps out of loyalty. The coaches (Franklin/Pry) made a decision on how they were going to handle Parsons as a freshman player who was playing a position he has never played before. The decision was to not throw him to the wolves as a starter but ease him in and let him learn. By all accounts he's done that and has, himself, admitted he was better for it as he was often frustrated in the beginning. Maturity was a bigger factor than loyalty. Listen to what they've been saying.

Macnitt just likes complaining. If farmer suddenly had another 4 years of eligibility he probably would not start.

I'm not sure this is new. It's always been a problem with the QB position. Pretty much any other position, if you can play, you'll get a starting position or at least serious playing time in a rotation. QB is the only position where at most programs, only one player gets meaningful playing time.

It would be great if QBs could rotate like other positions. In most cases it would be good for the starter to get some rest and coaching for a series a few times a game. But at the college level it's just too disruptive for the offense to do that. You risk snap count problems, center snap exchange problems, timing with receivers. Almost no college programs are able to pull it off.

So at the elite programs you have elite quarterbacks -- many with NFL potential -- riding the bench with no way to get game experience. And it's a position where game experience matters probably more than any other position.

So you lose the starting job (or you MIGHT lose the starting job as is the case with Stevens), you think about transferring.

The only thing that has really changed is the portal (which is a really nice innovation by the NCAA, to make the process transparent) and the graduate transfer rule.
And kicker. QB and kicker.

Writers from Miss St sites are saying that there has been no communication between Miss St and Stevens. I would say that is one of the top places I expected to see Stevens end up at. Maybe the Tommy's overestimated the market out there for him? Maybe he ends up at Buttgers.

Reactions: BBrown and royboy
Writers from Miss St sites are saying that there has been no communication between Miss St and Stevens. I would say that is one of the top places I expected to see Stevens end up at. Maybe the Tommy's overestimated the market out there for him? Maybe he ends up at Buttgers.
A loser in the game of musical chairs?

Ideally, it would make sense for Team Tommy to have had a destination checked out and in mind, and to have done the transition in time for spring practice. But, having a lingering foot problem hampers one's mobility even in musical chairs.

The “Stevens would be a good fit at MSU because of Moorhead” reminds me a little of the “Hackenberg would be a good fit with the Texans because of Bill O’Brien.” At the end of the day, Moorhead inherited Stevens and picked Trace over him once already.

Stevens could be a very good QB this year at a top school. But his market value is still really low due to injury history and so little game tape.

I still think he ends up at FCS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT