ADVERTISEMENT

Still scratching my head why we didn't wrestle anyone at 184

You don't pretend to know more than the coaches, you just do. Right?

Its not even a case of “ knowing more than the coaches”. I was simply stating that we HAD OPTIONS, dont sit up there and pretend we didnt. The coaches gambled, and LOST. Period.

thanks for posting that. Now if Lee had gotten a pin, we would have tied the 2nd tiebreaker. I'm too lazy to figure out who would have won had the rest of the match played out the same (though it would seem very possible Cassar gets a major if he knew he didn't need the tech/pin), but maybe someone else will

And, obviously, if Cassar had gotten the fall (which was very close) we would have won.

But, I have an observation from Cassar's match. He did almost pin Hall, but I noticed that after the almost fall, AC looked a lot more tired than he usually does. Hall was definitely bigger than Cassar and to try to pull those big shoulders back for quite a while had to have taken a lot of energy. He got the 4-point nearfall, but he wasn't the same wrestler after that--not as much blast in his doubles. I think he might have been able to MD Hall otherwise.

Ive already mentioned other options (possibly in a different thread)and was labeled a know-it-all, asked to “stop”and even “please stop”,so Im done rantin unless provoked again.
Couldnt you just repeat (?) on this thread the name from the wrestling team roster that was the other option you had in mind? Don’t “rant”. Just give the name (again?).

Reactions: csiebott
And, obviously, if Cassar had gotten the fall (which was very close) we would have won.

But, I have an observation from Cassar's match. He did almost pin Hall, but I noticed that after the almost fall, AC looked a lot more tired than he usually does. Hall was definitely bigger than Cassar and to try to pull those big shoulders back for quite a while had to have taken a lot of energy. He got the 4-point nearfall, but he wasn't the same wrestler after that--not as much blast in his doubles. I think he might have been able to MD Hall otherwise.
It is emotional fatigue. Not really understood, but is very real. Definitely hard to replicate.

Reactions: Dogwelder
If only Cael cared more about his streak than what was best for the team.
That would be a good argument against plans for pyrrhic and similarly short-sighted victories.

However, csiebott has pointed out that in this thread the geniuses have not even put forth a hindsight plan (not involving burning a shirt) that said specifically, with names, what Cael should have done differently, even if Cael did care more about the streak and even if Cael did want a short-sighted victory.

So, your argument gives the geniuses more credit than they’ve earned, before smashing the geniuses.

csiebott’s post #38 deserves many likes.

Last edited:
My option was more complicated than just inserting someone at 184.

They took a guy who then failed a skin check. What do you think would have happened at 125lbs if Teske failed a skin check? Would you be here upset that Cael didn't bring any other options at 125lbs? What about any other weight? Shak was never wrestling. He's a senior veteran leader, he going to go to all the duals whether he's wrestling or not. Cael cannot predict if somebody is going to fail a skin check. That's what happened.

I’m not really dwelling on it, but another key moment in the dual was the ref waiving off Maruca’s TD and therefore nullifying Verk’s quick escape late in the first. Would have saved 20+ sec of riding time as well as the point. Could have motivated Verk to escape instead of reverse in the 3rd. I really wish there was a way to allow for continuation of action after video review.

1) there are conflicting stories as to when and where the skin check was failed.
2)We are one of the, if not THEE deepest room in the country, for anyone to actually think, or believe we had no options,ESPECIALLY if the skin check failed in SC is ludacris.
3) I realize the coaches, and maybe even the wrestlers made a decision to take 2 “ leaders” who were in no way capable of wrestling, and thats fine,but I feel the dual was winnable had we taken a few guys who could wrestle instead,had we needed them,and it turns out we did.
4) They rolled the dice and lost unfortunately, that is what is called a “mistake”. Do you actually think our coaches are incapable of making mistakes??

edit: we have more than one back-up at 125, you know that as well as I do. Berge and Shak aint one of em.

1) there are conflicting stories as to when and where the skin check was failed.
2)We are one of the, if not THEE deepest room in the country, for anyone to actually think, or believe we had no options,ESPECIALLY if the skin check failed in SC is ludacris.
3) I realize the coaches, and maybe even the wrestlers made a decision to take 2 “ leaders” who were in no way capable of wrestling, and thats fine,but I feel the dual was winnable had we taken a few guys who could wrestle instead,had we needed them,and it turns out we did.
4) They rolled the dice and lost unfortunately, that is what is called a “mistake”. Do you actually think our coaches are incapable of making mistakes??

edit: we have more than one back-up at 125, you know that as well as I do. Berge and Shak aint one of em.

Since you think the skin check was done in SC, please tell me who conducted it. Skin checks are conducted as part of the weigh in process and done by the match referee. But don't let me stop you, keep digging.:rolleyes:

Reactions: nittanybrian
Since you think the skin check was done in SC, please tell me who conducted it. Skin checks are conducted as part of the weigh in process and done by the match referee. But don't let me stop you, keep digging.:rolleyes:
Absolutely true …

Art. 1. Qualified Examiners. A physician (preferably a dermatologist) or certified
athletic trainer shall examine all entrants for communicable skin diseases before all tournaments and meets. (For guidelines regarding the dispensation of skin infections, see Appendix C, Skin Infections in Wrestling.)

Art. 2. Medical Examination Times. Medical examinations/skin checks shall
begin 15 minutes or less before the scheduled time of weigh-ins.

Reactions: nittanybrian

I never said i believed the report,and am well aware of when the official skin/ nail check takes place,but did you ever think that just maybe we have an informal skin check before we leave?

I’ve asked multiple times on different threads who all traveled, but if thats privileged info, I understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: csiebott
Anyone know what Austin Hoopes weighed in at for Black Knight Invite? PSU roster lists him at 184/197 but says he “looks to compete at 184”

Not sure what Hoopes weighed in at, but he wrestled 197 there.

Looking at the roster, even with knowing beforehand that we wouldn’t have a 184, the options would be; put Kraeszig in at 165 and bump up Joseph and Hall, put Kraeszig in at 174 and bump up Hall, or have Kraeszig go at 184 ala Manville.

look back at the thread I told you to look back at where I laid out ONE scenario, I told you an hour ago it wasnt a case of just inserting one guy.

Because, as was already explained, there is a good chance it would have resulted in less overall points for PSU from 165 to 184. As it played out, those 3 weights came out to +1 PSU (+3 165, +4 174, -6 184).

If we bumped VJ to 174 and Mark to 184, we'd most likely be looking at -3 (at best) at 165, +3 at 174, and -3 at 184. That's a 4 point swing, from +1 to -3.

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Jefe
I never said i believed the report,and am well aware of when the official skin/ nail check takes place,but did you ever think that just maybe we have an informal skin check before we leave?

I’ve asked multiple times on different threads who all traveled, but if thats privileged info, I understand.

What would an informal skin check do before they leave if there isn't a skin issue before they leave? It's entirely possible that when they left there was no skin issue. It's possible that from the time they left State College, traveled across the country, and weighed in that a skin issue became a skin issue.

This isn't even a big deal. They lose a dual meet. They had to forfeit. If it's at home they can weigh in somebody else. This happened across the country and I don't see any need to dwell on this and try to place blame on the staff for something that appears to be nothing more than shit luck.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Cody’s explanation of the situation can be heard at 1:57:10 of the Byers Broadcast

It’s not common I say this about the info coming out of the PSU staff, but it’s more than enough of an explanation for me.
So, from Cody's mouth, instead of C Pyles, Edsell traveled and then failed the skin check earlier that day. So, case settled, he was going to wrestle when they left SC, but couldn't that day.
Can we now make this thread go away?

This is unrelated but kind of on the same page. Years ago, mid 2000's, I was coaching a high school holiday tournament where a wrestler passed the skin, hair and nail inspection at weigh ins. However during the finals the opposing wrestler was scratched with a slight amount of bleeding during the match, I may be wrong from memory but I recall it was the third period, and the referee stopped the match and failed my wrestlers nails. My argument was that he passed at weigh ins and was informed the ref had the right to stop a match for safety as he saw fit, As it turned out as I was conferencing with the referee we were put on injury time to correct the nail situation and the match went on once corrected. I know this wasn't the case with the skin condition being supposedly diagnosed in SC but does the ref have the right to stop a match for skin as well to be diagnosed by the officiating trainer or physician? BTW my wrestler did win that finals bout.

... a wrestler passed the skin, hair and nail inspection at weigh ins. However during the finals the opposing wrestler was scratched...
Full moon. Kid was a werewolf. Been there; seen that. Of course he won. Tale as old as time. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT