ADVERTISEMENT

Stock market update

I’m a school counselor, how do you know what I tell kids? If a kid walked in my office asking for help with their postsecondary plans and I said “follow your dreams,” they’d laugh and walk right back out. Hell, I’d probably laugh and walk out on myself too lol.

But I do have to say, it was a massive mistake for the government to push “college for all” from the 1980’s until recently. It was both Republican and Democrat administrations that did it and its consequences are wide ranging.

Btw, “guidance counselor” is an outdated term, it hasn’t been used in nearly 30 years.
I work in education and have been in multiple school systems and states. Everywhere I’ve worked they are called guidance counselors and their collective group is called the guidance department. That would be in Pennsylvania, Maryland and Delaware and my cousin is a guidance counselor in North Carolina so that’s four states.

Also, one of the biggest complaints that I have with those guidance counselors is that many of them only tell the kids something like what the other poster mentioned, “ Follow your dreams” or something like that. Thankfully, now as someone who has an administrative type role, I can call them out about not giving a child the best rationale to guide their high school scheduling.

I’m a school counselor, how do you know what I tell kids? If a kid walked in my office asking for help with their postsecondary plans and I said “follow your dreams,” they’d laugh and walk right back out. Hell, I’d probably laugh and walk out on myself too lol.

But I do have to say, it was a massive mistake for the government to push “college for all” from the 1980’s until recently. It was both Republican and Democrat administrations that did it and its consequences are wide ranging.

Btw, “guidance counselor” is an outdated term, it hasn’t been used in nearly 30 years.
Way to personalize a general (and factual) statement

I'm basing my comment on what both of my kids and their friends were told by school counselors. I was made to be the bad guy by telling them that while it's important to pursue a career in something you enjoy it's equally important to choose a field where you can make a good living.

I bet half of all college students wind up in a relatively low playing job that had nothing to do with their major. Even worse a lot of them are graduating with substantial debt.

If you persuade your kids to avoid this kind of trap I applaud you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT