ADVERTISEMENT

Super 32. October 12th-13th

My friend was down there. Said Bachman is a full court press. Hutcherson lost but very impressive for a freshmen. He said he wasn’t surprised to see all the coaches flocking to Forest and Bo’s mats.

My perspective on this is obviously skewed, but: Why so much stock in this tournament? I get that it attracts top talent, but it hasn't always been this deep. It becomes a chicken and egg thing. I'll enjoy some of the matches tomorrow while doing laundry. I can only assume it's a well-oiled machine.

For all the anti-Fargo rhetoric based upon location, this is in... North Carolina? It is in... October?

And personally, I hate that there's more than 32 kids per bracket. Or even have only 32 per weight left on the last day. I think I've asked this before, but I don't understand the significance of the title of the tournament.

The championship belts are cool as hell.

My perspective on this is obviously skewed, but: Why so much stock in this tournament? I get that it attracts top talent, but it hasn't always been this deep. It becomes a chicken and egg thing. I'll enjoy some of the matches tomorrow while doing laundry. I can only assume it's a well-oiled machine.

For all the anti-Fargo rhetoric based upon location, this is in... North Carolina? It is in... October?

And personally, I hate that there's more than 32 kids per bracket. Or even have only 32 per weight left on the last day. I think I've asked this before, but I don't understand the significance of the title of the tournament.

I share a ...yawn... over the significance of this tournament but for different reasons.

Unless something's changed, I think this is a Friday weigh in tourney. You have kids weighing 20+lbs over on Sunday. Especially at the lightweights it's a weight cutting contest.

But comparing North Carolina to Fargo travelwise? C'mon Crop. Do you travel much?

I like it because it's not:
images

Agreed that the brackets are way too big. The first 3-4 rounds are meaningless, and I'm surprised the hospitals aren't full by the end.

Travel-wise: Chicago to Fargo = 9 hrs. Greensboro is less than 9 hrs from all of PA/OH/NJ, part of NY, and nearly all of Indiana. Harrisburg is 6 hrs away.

For those who need to fly to either, Greensboro is 90 min from the Charlotte hub airport -- cheaper and much more convenient than flying to Fargo. (Though CLT is an awful airport, that maybe the commute to Fargo is less painful.)

I wish it were at a more convenient location to more athletes, but there's really no comparison location-wise.

Simple. It’s the folk tournament with the most top ranked and ranked kids in general. Take it for what it’s worth, the weigh ins are different than in season tournaments for sure and that’s a factor but most of the kids aren’t using it to drop.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Perry and Cunningham both into the semis. Desmond lost 9-1 to Moses Mendoza (CA) in the semis, and is alive in consis.

Other PA results or of PSU interest:
- 113: Freddy Bachmann into the semis.
- 120: Joey Bachmann lost 9-8 to Antonio Mills (GA) in the quarters on a late takedown. Terrible seeding here, Willie has Mills as #10 in 2026, yet he was the 9-seed somehow. Gauge Botero beat Brock Rothermel 1-0 in the quarters. Landon Sidun lost 13-4 to world silver Christian Castillo.
- 126: Aaron Seidel beat Dom Deputy 5-0 in the quarters. Looks like he'll get Anthony Knox in the finals -- Knox has teched everyone so far.
- 132: Jax Forrest has teched his way into the semis. Looks like he'll get Missouri commit Seth Mendoza (IL) in the finals.
- 138: PA went 2-2 in the quarters. Sement and Harer lost. Perry and Parkins won. BIggest margin was Perry's 5-2 win.
- 144: Bo Bassett has teched his way thru the quarters. The other semi should be really good -- Zepeda vs CA state champ/Nebraska commit Zinkin.
- 150: Collin Gaj into the semis vs #1 seed Landon Robideau (OKST commit), in what should've been the finals with better seeding. Devon Magro into the bottom semi.
- 157: Melvin Miller and Kollin Rath both into the semis, potential finals matchup.
- 285: Michael Mocco into the semis, pinned or teched every opponent. Other semi will be Mark Effendian vs. Dean Bechtold.

Dalton Perry into the finals in a pretty deep bracket, he'll be an underdog to Sergio Vega.

Also in the bracket seeded ahead of him was
Drew Gorman
Sam Herring
Elijah Cortez
Tahir Parkins
Brandt Harer

Seems like Perry is often the forgotten commit of 2025 but glad to see him making noise nationally. He committed so early (and really he's been penciled into PSU since he was 5 years old probably)

I share a ...yawn... over the significance of this tournament but for different reasons.

Unless something's changed, I think this is a Friday weigh in tourney. You have kids weighing 20+lbs over on Sunday. Especially at the lightweights it's a weight cutting contest.

But comparing North Carolina to Fargo travelwise? C'mon Crop. Do you travel much?
Yes, the weigh-in rules are silly, too.

I don't travel much at all, but both are on the outside edges of our country. I ain't never been that far east.

The semi-final match wrestled by Asher Cunningham was astonishing. It showcased his talents brilliantly. He appeared to be 10 pounds lighter than his opponent, but had the best positional awareness I've seen in years. When he appeared to be in difficult situations, I kept seeing him working towards counters to moves his opponent had barely started to think about. Reminds me of the best of Jason Nolf, but about 4 years ahead of Jason's development. Can't wait to see him starting for PSU. Must have had a good coach growing up.;) Our dynasty should last at least until Asher's children graduate.
Celebrate We Are GIF by Penn State

Agreed that the brackets are way too big. The first 3-4 rounds are meaningless, and I'm surprised the hospitals aren't full by the end.

Travel-wise: Chicago to Fargo = 9 hrs. Greensboro is less than 9 hrs from all of PA/OH/NJ, part of NY, and nearly all of Indiana. Harrisburg is 6 hrs away.

For those who need to fly to either, Greensboro is 90 min from the Charlotte hub airport -- cheaper and much more convenient than flying to Fargo. (Though CLT is an awful airport, that maybe the commute to Fargo is less painful.)

I wish it were at a more convenient location to more athletes, but there's really no comparison location-wise.
Raleigh is less crowded, cheaper and closer to Greensboro than CLT.

The semi-final match wrestled by Asher Cunningham was astonishing. It showcased his talents brilliantly. He appeared to be 10 pounds lighter than his opponent, but had the best positional awareness I've seen in years. When he appeared to be in difficult situations, I kept seeing him working towards counters to moves his opponent had barely started to think about. Reminds me of the best of Jason Nolf, but about 4 years ahead of Jason's development. Can't wait to see him starting for PSU. Must have had a good coach growing up.;) Our dynasty should last at least until Asher's children graduate.
Celebrate We Are GIF by Penn State
Can't wait until Casey gets his hands on this Asher kid.

Can't wait until Casey gets his hands on this Asher kid.
I know this was a tongue in cheek joke but this isn't far off. Casey has been pretty hands off with Asher's development, wanting him to decide for himself how much he loves the sport and leaving it up to his HS coaches (soon to be Jason Nickal) and Mark at M2.

City of Charlotte law requires that all connections be a minimum of two terminals away, and that at least half the horizontal escalators be broken. The rocking chairs between terminals is a nice touch though.
Also, one precheck security line open - for the entire airport. They may deign to open a second one after the rest of the TSA employees saunter in late for their shift.

City of Charlotte law requires that all connections be a minimum of two terminals away, and that at least half the horizontal escalators be broken. The rocking chairs between terminals is a nice touch though.
Also, if you have a connection, your gates are at the very end of both terminals. With every moving sidewalk in your path not only inoperable, but also blocked so passenger traffic is funneled.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT