ADVERTISEMENT

Teasdale

Other than Cassar?

Cassar looks big to me but not for his weight. That dude from Rider looked enormous to me next to him on the line. Heck IaSt looked rather large against him I thought too.

But he just picks things up and puts them down......cuz he HITS THE WEIGHTS HARD!!!

at which point they all looked small against him

Cassar looks big to me but not for his weight. That dude from Rider looked enormous to me next to him on the line. Heck IaSt looked rather large against him I thought too.

But he just picks things up and puts them down......cuz he HITS THE WEIGHTS HARD!!!

at which point they all looked small against him
Yeah, was just playing along with the legend ...

One would think that years of PSU results would've slayed the "looks big" myth. Otherwise someone please explain Noodle Arms Nickal vs. PD3. Or Mark Hall vs. Bo Jordan. Or Q vs. Kilgore. Or Jordan Conaway vs. anybody.

Or to paraphrase Moneyball: it's not about who looks good in jeans.

Yeah, was just playing along with the legend ...

One would think that years of PSU results would've slayed the "looks big" myth. Otherwise someone please explain Noodle Arms Nickal vs. PD3. Or Mark Hall vs. Bo Jordan. Or Q vs. Kilgore. Or Jordan Conaway vs. anybody.

Or to paraphrase Moneyball: it's not about who looks good in jeans.
Agree, bizarre how that thought persists. Other than 285, or a guy intentionally going up one weight to battle someone (Swift, Livingston, Brown, as PSU examples), the eye-test hasn't shown to be a decent measure of success. Heck, in Matt Brown's case, even the eye-test was way wrong.

Last edited:
Agree, bizarre how that thought persists. Other than 285, or a guy intentionally going up one weight to battle someone (Swift, Livingston, Brown, as PSU examples), the eye-test hasn't shown to be a decent measure of success. Heck, in Matt Brown's case, even the eye-test was way wrong.
The eye-test still persists in picking college-football playoff teams. Thankfully in college wrestling we allow competition to determine our championship competitors and limit the eye test to mostly message board and bar stool discussions.

Reactions: dbldoofus
That would be a rude intro into the lineup. I would think they may want to ease him a little.
Is there really a dual meet on the schedule that would not be a rude intro. I mean i understand SeaBass is #1 but still a lot of the upcoming opponents at 125 are ranked.

No insider information here but I would guess this is the exact reason Teasdale wanted to wrestle for PSU. Not to be held back from good competition but to get thrown into it.
I have no doubt he's raring to go. If I'm Cael, I give him one match this weekend and that would by Wisky. Make weight, be competitive, move forward from there.

Reactions: diggerpup
I have no doubt he's raring to go. If I'm Cael, I give him one match this weekend and that would by Wisky. Make weight, be competitive, move forward from there.

Can you imagine what a win for Teasdale could do for the young man though?

Sunday vs Wisconsin looks like a nice debut match for Teasdale:

125 - #19 Connor Brown (9-3)
Noteable results:
L - Pat Glory, 14-5
L - Seabass Rivera, 19-4
W - T. Piotrowski, 8-4
W - Kyle Akins, WBF

Reactions: Sullivan and SJP80
Last year Carson Kuhn's first bout was against Nato, wasn't it? And also wasn't it the first one he was able to wrestle? Now that might be a different situation since he was only with us for one (half) season.

Or maybe Gavin was scratched because they got late approval of the mysterious waiver, and now Gavin is going to greyshirt.

Last year Carson Kuhn's first bout was against Nato, wasn't it? And also wasn't it the first one he was able to wrestle? Now that might be a different situation since he was only with us for one (half) season.
Also Kuhn was a senior, not his first college match.

Or maybe Gavin was scratched because they got late approval of the mysterious waiver, and now Gavin is going to greyshirt.
That is a possibility, but I have my doubts that the NCAA work on over the holiday and granted the waiver., meaning that it was announced on Dec 30 or 31st that Gavin would compete at the Scuffle, weigh in the morning of Jan 1st, Im thinking more on the lines that the staff wanted Gavin to travel with the team to feel like part of the team.... I cant help but think that this kid feels like he has let his teammates down with this issue, what ever the issue was. Now he is back and the staff wants to make sure he fits in.... IDK just guessing here..I just hope the kid has it together and can get on with school and wrestling.

Also Kuhn was a senior, not his first college match.

I prefer to remember one of the best takedowns of the year. Kuhn hitting that headlock, tossing Nato and seeing his feet smack the scorers table (just because he didn't get hurt) was a thing of beauty and set the tone for the entire dual meet. I know that this isn't in the same ballpark as that dual was but this is a great chance for Teasdale to start off on the right foot. If he makes the trip, I say start him.

I prefer to remember one of the best takedowns of the year. Kuhn hitting that headlock, tossing Nato and seeing his feet smack the scorers table (just because he didn't get hurt) was a thing of beauty and set the tone for the entire dual meet. I know that this isn't in the same ballpark as that dual was but this is a great chance for Teasdale to start off on the right foot. If he makes the trip, I say start him.
If we need Teasdale to set the tone against NW, we have bigger problems.

Personally I'd wait until Wisconsin -- if no other reason, can he make weight twice in one weekend when he has yet to once?

But either way trust Cael to make the best decision with more info than any of us have.

If we need Teasdale to set the tone against NW, we have bigger problems.

Personally I'd wait until Wisconsin -- if no other reason, can he make weight twice in one weekend when he has yet to once?

But either way trust Cael to make the best decision with more info than any of us have.

I don't think the team needs Teasdale to set the tone but maybe Teasdale needs to be a bigger part of the team to get going for the second half.

Reactions: tabenn and Wilco43
I will be at the Wiscy match so if he wrestles that day I will at least get to see him make his Rec hall debut. If I had to bet, I'd say he sits on Friday and goes on Sunday. In order of most likely to least likely I would say:

1. Sits Friday and goes Sunday.
2. Sits both days.
3. Goes both days.

Reactions: diggerpup
It's not about Friday night, it's about March 21-23. Right now, this can go several ways...and the thoughts above are all good...must think big picture.

I personally wouldn't throw him to the wolves on the road to the number 1 guy in the country.. and it isn't a weight thing for me.. ... if he is going to struggle to hold it for 2 matches in a weekend.. I think he is going to really struggle to make it thru the entire tournament in March. I'd just like to see him get the first match in friendly confines with a better shot at coming out on top.. more of a confidence boost type thing..

We Are... Penn State, not part of the Tan Tom ducking crew at tOSU. As the Raptor has said, "you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best". If Teasdale is ready, get him on the mat. Though I won't be disappointed with any of our 125's that Cael decides to send out for us, I sometimes think he really knows what he's doing;).

As the Raptor has said, "you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best".

THATS WHO IT WAS?!?!
Geez I’ve been racking whats left of my brain trying to remember who said that!! Genius, pure genius.
It's a very original statement and could catch on in locker rooms, sports interviews, and such :). He was the last of our guys that I could think of to use it in an interview and i just wanted to throw it out to try and nail down the point I was trying to make:cool:.

It's a very original statement and could catch on in locker rooms, sports interviews, and such :). He was the last of our guys that I could think of to use it in an interview and i just wanted to throw it out to try and nail down the point I was trying to make:cool:.
That saying has been around forever fellows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT