ADVERTISEMENT

Thank god for Coach Franklin....

Franklin is our guy, culturally and otherwise. Give him an extension and the tools needed to take the next step. We’re better than good right now, perennially top 10. To me, step A and step B of the rebuild plan is done and accomplished yet some of you want to go back to the first step and start over.,.,,,hilarious. You don’t just lose Franklin folks, you lose 3 or 4 of our best coaches, a brilliant strength and conditioning coach, an elite defensive line coach, a top 10 defensive coordinator, etc. you also probably lose 6 or 7 recruits.

it would probably take 3 or 4 years to get back to where we are now and unless we bring in a guy with the same recruiting prowess we’re probably worse. But yeah, let’s start over again in a year where the result achieved was better than expected. Smart.

Give him money to hire a better OC

The “mission” is to keep the first string QB healthy and in the game. Along with the first string Center.

Other than the INT our backup QB was outstanding, and the plays called, were pretty effective. And the mishaps by the backup Center (an experienced player) seemed to have more impact than the play calling or the performance of the backup QB.
Thank you for not using bold like a normal poster.

Sadly and obviously you are not aware they have some significant inherent advantages over us. Besides the way they internally run there program academically and otherwise, which I won’t go into, the state of Ohio in terms of high school football talent is ahead of PA and it’s not close.
Why do you think I’m not aware

Someone said it it in the game thread but imagine if we had Fields instead of OSU today. I don't think OSU would have kept it close. Our talent is right there with the best team in the country. Maybe one or two players away. Franklin is killing it here at PSU.

giphy.gif

I did not favor hiring Franklin. I thought he would be in over his head in the BigTen. I was wrong. He is a quality coach and will keep this team in the national conversation as long as he is here. I still think the chances of his winning a National Championship at Penn State are small, but that would be true with any coach. Because of that, while I hope he'll be here in 5 years, I have my doubts.

How many of those are against Ohio State and Michigan who until recently have had far superior Talent?

Well according to some experts, the sanctions has no impact on that record. OSU had more talent on the field today as well and will do so against any other team they play this year.

Reactions: bison13
Stop making excuses for this guy. Enough, he needs to win big games.
Stop making excuses for this guy. Enough, he needs to win big games.
Iowa in upset central Kinnick was a big game until after PSU won.
Interesting that Michigan was a big game until after PSU won.
Then unranked MSU was a big game due to recent history...until PSU won of course.
90% or more of "realistic" fans expected 8-4 and now are the same ones complaining about 9-2 (projected as 10-2).

Amazing how goalposts can shift without the application of any physical force! :rolleyes:

Iowa in upset central Kinnick was a big game until after PSU won.
Interesting that Michigan was a big game until after PSU won.
Then unranked MSU was a big game due to recent history...until PSU won of course.
90% or more of "realistic" fans expected 8-4 and now are the same ones complaining about 9-2 (projected as 10-2).

Amazing how goalposts can shift without the application of any physical force! :rolleyes:

I am disappointed because I thought this schedule would lead us to 11-1 or even 12-0. The loss to Minnesota was disappointing

But I'm satisfied with 10-2 including a win over Michigan. The program is in a better place than it was five years ago.

Reactions: Shadow99
You are one of the best coaches in the country and you are doing a remarkable job. 40 plus wins the last 4 years. I hope you stay. The overwhelming majority of us support and respect you. Nfm.

Franklin is 32-18 if you remove two years that Joe Moorhead was OC. Is that elite?

Reactions: JoeBot409
Franklin is 32-18 if you remove two years that Joe Moorhead was OC. Is that elite?
Absolutely moronic post. He took over a sanction riddled program with few scholarship offensive lineman. The first two years the roster was depleted to the point it isn’t even fair to count.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Absolutely moronic post. He took over a sanction riddled program with few scholarship offensive lineman. The first two years the roster was depleted to the point it isn’t even fair to count.

And his OC absolutely sucked.

He is going to win 10 or 11 games this year and Moorhead is long gone. This post is ridiculous.

In 2014 this program was not much better than Illinois or Maryland. Actually it may have been below them. Two seasons later he had us in the Rose Bowl.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
You are one of the best coaches in the country and you are doing a remarkable job. 40 plus wins the last 4 years. I hope you stay. The overwhelming majority of us support and respect you. Nfm.

You actually thank God that we have a coach that is 1-13 vs ranked teams on the road as a HC?

The definition of winning has clearly passed me by.

The first season we had forty odd available scholarship players and it wasn’t dramatically better the next. Yet as bad as things were, PSU managed to avoid losing seasons under both BOB and JF.
I wonder which other tandem of coaches could have achieved that ?

What evidence do you have that Matt isn’t coming home?
Julie Rhule apparently loves Waco. Further, Matt and his staff (3 highly successful HS coaches from Texas) collectively believe that they are building and coaching a successful organization.

Did anyone else witness the talent on the Baylor roster this afternoon?

Bradley won at OSU he would be a good choice. That was during a shit storm as well.
IIRC, Penn State was inside the 2 yard line late in the game. A FG makes it a 9-point lead. Nope, Tom goes for the TD and doesn’t get it. Ohowihate gets the ball back, drives to midfield going for the winning score, but Penn State stops them.
Can you imagine CJF doing that today?
This board would implode and the BWI servers meltdown.

OL

Reactions: paws1957 and A2Nit
JF is undoubtedly a great HC, but he is loyal to a fault with terrible OC's. How soon folks forget John Donovan. Rahne is an upgrade, but he's not a B10 caliber OC.

Reactions: m.knox
Sadly and obviously you are not aware they have some significant inherent advantages over us. Besides the way they internally run there program academically and otherwise, which I won’t go into, the state of Ohio in terms of high school football talent is ahead of PA and it’s not close.

OSU and its football team is all the state of Ohio has left...other than that, its pretty much an opioid wasteland, not to mention the dearth of economic opportunity, etc.

Reactions: PearlandLion
If I can make the game next week I may just walk through the lots the try and find ppb and jb409 in their Confederate flag raised tailgate and beat the stupid out of them
Well if you're in lot 34A stop by for a spell

Reactions: bison13
Love coach Franklin!! He is exactly what PSU needed!! He works tirelessly and represents PSU with such class. He is a great coach! The players love him. He recruits lights out! But most importantly he is a a great man!! We are extremely lucky to have him!! Anyone who says differently to me is not a true Penn Stater!! Thank you coach Franklin and team for a tremendous year!!!

You actually thank God that we have a coach that is 1-13 vs ranked teams on the road as a HC?

The definition of winning has clearly passed me by.
It is clear that people post the same things over and over, just in different threads.
  • The first premise inherent to the statement / statistic is that all of those teams were ranked...
  • The second premise inherent to the statement is that 100% of those games were on the road...
  • Third, the context is that most of the opponents were higher ranked, so it isn't as if more than a couple were considered "upsets". That is a significant bias in the statistic.
  • Fourth, his record at PSU before Iowa was reported as 0-6, so it is now 1-7 at PSU, at which his first couple of years were not played on a level playing field. People are actually including Vanderbilt statistics in an attempt to denigrate Franklin?
Criticism is fair, but ignoring the bias in a statistic just to make a point is not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT