ADVERTISEMENT

The Big Ten West sucks

Lose 4 games and still win the division. Lose one in the West and you may or may not win the division.

Reactions: FightOnState
The door is wide open for Frost.
Heck, without any changes to the makeup, Nebraska could win next season.

Reactions: psu00
Northwestern has lost games to Michigan, Notre Dame, Duke, and mighty Akron. They clinched the Big Ten West today........ with a 6-4 record. :confused:

To be fair, Northwestern has done well in Big Ten play. They're really the only team to give Michigan a game so far. The east is far superior but if NW doesn't slip up with 2 pretty easy games left it's difficult to complain about a team that went 8-1 in conference play winning the division. The ACC and Pac XII have the same issues. The SEC would have the same issue but Georgia figured things out. I'm actually looking forward to a NW-Michigan rematch although I may be alone in that lol

Northwestern has lost games to Michigan, Notre Dame, Duke, and mighty Akron. They clinched the Big Ten West today........ with a 6-4 record. :confused:

I mean, they lost to 2 top 4 teams and should have beat Michigan. Thorson wasn't healthy enough against Duke and then Akron scored 2 defensive TDs to beat them. Obviously bad losses but if they finish 8-4 (8-1) there's not much to complain about. The only conference loss will be by 3 points to Michigan

It would be.
I think the odds will be about 20-1 against, but it would be beautiful

Not sure the odds would be that low. Northwestern arguably should have beat them the first time.

If Northwestern beats Michigan/Ohio State it probably knocks us down a bowl and eliminates any chance of a NY6 bowl but I'll probably take that to see Michigan/Ohio State both flop to end the year.

To be fair, Northwestern has done well in Big Ten play. They're really the only team to give Michigan a game so far. The east is far superior but if NW doesn't slip up with 2 pretty easy games left it's difficult to complain about a team that went 8-1 in conference play winning the division. The ACC and Pac XII have the same issues. The SEC would have the same issue but Georgia figured things out. I'm actually looking forward to a NW-Michigan rematch although I may be alone in that lol

Wouldn't say that the east is far superior.

NU beat the 3rd place team (tied w/ PSU) in the east, MSU.

PU beat the 2nd place team, dOSU.

Iowa played the Nits tough and the outcome of that game may have been different if their QB hadn't injured his thumb.

Wisky is not very good, but then again, they were hit by a rash of injuries, including at QB which would hamstring most teams.

The 'Cats definitely should have won the game against UM, but in the 2nd half we saw Bad Thorson.

Even w/ BT, the 'Cats would have won the game if Larkin had been healthy and still playing (1st game since his retirement) or if the 'Cats had the Bowser that has grown into the season (against UM, Bowser had 1 carry for 2 yds).

That being said, Harbaugh's team is much improved since then, much of it on the basis of the improvement in UM's O-line.

NU's O-line has improved in run blocking, but still is porous when it comes to pass protection.

The next 2 weeks, Fitz will need to get Thorson (who has been playing poorly) back on track in order to have any chance in Indianapolis.

The 'Cats have the D (if the injured players in the secondary get healthy) to stay in the game, but need to O to string some 1st downs together, otherwise they will get worn out before the half.

Aside from UM, would say the B1G isn't very good this season; but can say that for every conference aside from the SEC.

Going forward, think we'll see more balance btwn the divisions as Frost and Brohm continue to improve their respective programs.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
How much fun would it be if Nirthwestern meets Michigan in Big Ten Championshio game-and defeated them and kept Michigan out of playoffs?

It would real fun.
now thats the conference champ

A quarter into the game NW had a 17 point lead against a lethargic UM team that played like they were asleep for the first 20 minutes....... and couldn’t do dick to preserve it.
NW ran for 28 yards in the entire game..... about 200 yards total offense for the game.

After the quick 17-0 lead, NW ran 39 plays for 88 yards ....... UMich, despite their crappy O, had 330 after falling into that 17-0 hole (about 400 for the game), despite 11 penalties for 100 yards.

Saying NW “should have won the game” is silly - - - unless the meaning is “NW should have been able to hold a 17-0 lead against a crappy offensive club, but NW sucks”

:)

Larkin had just been forced to give up football and Bowser wasn't playing yet. In theory, they should be able to run the ball better and, yes, they ARGUABLY should have won that game. Unlike us, Northwestern at least gave them a game so if Northwestern sucks then how bad are we?

Boston College is awful

Complete joke they are ranked where they are. The ACC is atrocious

Nebraska will dominate the division once Frost gets a defense to go with his offense.

Easier said than done. Fitz ALWAYS has a scrappy team at Northwestern, outside of this season it’s hard to argue against Chryst’s success at UW, and I certainly wouldn’t ignore what Brohm is building at Purdue

Easier said than done. Fitz ALWAYS has a scrappy team at Northwestern, outside of this season it’s hard to argue against Chryst’s success at UW, and I certainly wouldn’t ignore what Brohm is building at Purdue
If Brohm continues to have some success he will coach in the south. Fitz and Chryst are solid but Frosts offense has put up 450 plus yards in total offense each of the last 7 games. Not a Nebraska fan but they will only get better especially on defense. He has a top 20 recruiting class going and has brought back elements of the walk-on program that existed under a Osborne.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT