ADVERTISEMENT

The future of college football

Nbergbuck

Mar 31, 2004
Been watching this whole early signing period - NIL thing and something is becoming apparent. The midwest powers like OSU, UM and PSU may have reached their high water mark. The Florida schools, Texas (oil money), Oregon (NIke) etc. may the new top dogs 3-4 years from now. Hard to see where Alabama and Georgia wind up. It is looking more and more like major league baseball.

Been watching this whole early signing period - NIL thing and something is becoming apparent. The midwest powers like OSU, UM and PSU may have reached their high water mark. The Florida schools, Texas (oil money), Oregon (NIke) etc. may the new top dogs 3-4 years from now. Hard to see where Alabama and Georgia wind up. It is looking more and more like major league baseball.
Yeah it is chaos right now. They definitely need to figure out how to regulate some things.

Reactions: 81b&w
It's a mess

If it continues, then maybe a super conference should be formed like what was discussed with European soccer last year. However, I expect things to change because sooner or later, the people and businesses that are doling out all of this cash are going to realize that for the most part it's bad business and also absurd to pay people to play a school sport.

Reactions: onetime1 and 81b&w
If it continues, then maybe a super conference should be formed like what was discussed with European soccer last year. However, I expect things to change because sooner or later, the people and businesses that are doling out all of this cash are going to realize that for the most part it's bad business and also absurd to pay people to play a school sport.

The bagman has been around for decades. If anything, these guys are probably spending less up front and can get out of deals easier than ever. It's not going away anytime soon.

Reactions: joeaubie21
Chip Kelly had an excellent discussion on a few days ago. Everyone goes independent in FB but keep all your local ties for all other sports. Negotiate the media as a group of independents in regional groups. He put a lot of thought into it. Get a chance, listen to his thoughts.

I agree with you to a degree, but I think this will be regulated in the future. I also think that the TV networks will be a factor in not allowing the schools you list to diminish as they produce too many eyeballs / revenue.

I’d say college football is dead. The student athlete dead. It is minor league football being run through the college stadiums and support for that university. Athletes used to go to school for a degree - scholarship, but now they make more in year as a freshman than many college graduates do in their first 5 years of working post degree.

It is all disguised under the college football rah rah, but who are we kidding. A kid does not even need to go pro to be set up very well for life. Just because they have a propensity for a game we can thirst for.

It is mind boggling.

Hasn't it always been similar though? At least the past 30 years? There's always been the haves and have nots. Is that gap widening? Do schools like Northwestern even care with the money they're getting?

I understand the frustration with the portal but I really don't see much change other than that. It's just more open.

You have the transfer portal, lets just call that what it really is: Free agency. Then you have the NIL, your paying kids to go to college instead of them paying the college to give them a proper education so they can go on in life and earn a good living. Dumbing America down!

How long before college football teams are “franchised“? The Walt Disney Florida Gators!,

Nope. If that happens, I'm out.
Why? Is that really any different than now. Bowls are sponsored simply for money. The playoff will be sponsored. Why should teams take sponsorships for NIL $?
But, again, they aren't worried if they lose me or you. They're focused on the future.
And the reality is college football is a habit for most of us and we aren't going anywhere
The other reality is college football is just a big business and always has been. We just like to pretend it's pure for some reason though people have been complaining since...before I was born about it not being pure.

Why? Is that really any different than now. Bowls are sponsored simply for money. The playoff will be sponsored. Why should teams take sponsorships for NIL $?
But, again, they aren't worried if they lose me or you. They're focused on the future.
And the reality is college football is a habit for most of us and we aren't going anywhere
The other reality is college football is just a big business and always has been. We just like to pretend it's pure for some reason though people have been complaining since...before I was born about it not being pure.
Not pure, but like many things today, the purity of college football has declined exponentially over time.

Nope. If that happens, I'm out.
They can pay big bucks (though not big enough for the Big Ten, it seems) to carry the games on their TV network, but make it more overt that Disney or some other large corporation is behind it all and that's too much for Rick. He's a sporting purist.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Not pure, but like many things today, the purity of college football has declined exponentially over time.
True so is it just people want to believe there's something pure about the sport.
I can understand the frustration but Nike and UA sponsor teams, right? What difference does it make it Penn State has a "Pizza Hut" patch on the uniforms?
I miss what we were lead to believe college football was but the more I think about it I'm not really sure it ever existed. We just weren't aware of everything happening.

Reactions: OKLionFan
True so is it just people want to believe there's something pure about the sport.
I can understand the frustration but Nike and UA sponsor teams, right? What difference does it make it Penn State has a "Pizza Hut" patch on the uniforms?
I miss what we were lead to believe college football was but the more I think about it I'm not really sure it ever existed. We just weren't aware of everything happening.
It reminds me of the time (maybe the early 90s) when Pepsi was doing some type of named sponsorship for PSU and what a big deal that was. But nobody seemed to have a problem with MBNA marketing credit cards to students on campus around the same time.

As much as I sorta hate to say it:

Step one: recognize union
Step two: through cba, negotiate salary cap.

Any football player getting NIL should be subtracted from his scholarship money. For example, if out of state tuition is $40K then room and board is $15K that is a $55K grant. If the kid gets $30K in NIL then his scholarship award is now $55K minus the $30K NIL or $25K. This will gin up scholarship money that can go to other athletes in the minor sports.

Reactions: Gitzit
Any football player getting NIL should be subtracted from his scholarship money. For example, if out of state tuition is $40K then room and board is $15K that is a $55K grant. If the kid gets $30K in NIL then his scholarship award is now $55K minus the $30K NIL or $25K. This will gin up scholarship money that can go to other athletes in the minor sports.
Then what good is NIL money to the players? This doesn't even make sense.
They're actually being penalized for having value

Reactions: Ski and Eph97
The Nike swoosh is already on the jersey, no?

The stadium naming writes change with every contract for most stadiums. (With a 700 mil stadium plan, why haven't our PTB sold naming rights?)

The team names are probably safe though. These are hundred years old brands. The people spending the money aren't that stupid. It's just everything around it they will slap their name on.

The Nike swoosh is already on the jersey, no?

The stadium naming writes change with every contract for most stadiums. (With a 700 mil stadium plan, why haven't our PTB sold naming rights?)

The team names are probably safe though. These are hundred years old brands. The people spending the money aren't that stupid. It's just everything around it they will slap their name on.
Right? What difference does it make if they throw a patch on a uniform?

1) Coaches deserve a fair bit of the blame for this when they started breaking their contracts to jump schools for bigger and bigger contracts.

2) The NCAA's efforts to keep the genie in the bottle were so hamstrung and hypocritical they were doomed to fail. I think the bowls are the last vestiges of this.

3) Sports franchises succeed because of the attachment fans have to the teams. This is why it's hard for new professional football leagues to succeed, no-one bleeds for those new teams the way they do even for the hapless NYJets. When fans stop feeling attached to their college teams, then college football will have gone too far for its own good.

Reactions: Ski and 250vertical
Kyle-Busch-4.jpg

OSU, UM, and PSU have sold out to wokeness, DEI, and that whole LGB thing. These schools are going to be hard pressed to compete for much of anything for a long time to come.

You can throw ND into that mix as well.

They made their beds. They can lay in them.

I think they would probably owe taxes on the NIL money, so they are penalized even more in that scenario. A pure scholarship wouldn't be taxed.

It pays for their scholarship that is what it is good for. They need to level the playing field with other athletes who don't get NIL. Or do they even need to go to school? Just pay them and funnel scholarship money elsewhere.

Ok. Players are all pros. What else changed? Psu, um, OSU bama, Texas, Georgia, fsu, Oregon are in the top 10. It is not like the league flipped.

The horse is not going back in the barn. Figure out how to generate the most nil money. The new rules are clear. Cheat as much as you want, contact players but don't let any kids in the showers.

The whole thing is screwed up. The fans pay the players, conferences span four different time zones, and the championship is determined by a committee via an invitational.

Lmao go back to test board with other nuts
Hoflane is right about one thing PSU has indeed sold out to wokeness. It is very extreme on campus and in the State College community. If it is your thing then you are happy and have no problem with it. It has become a haven for such thought and representation. Maybe I’m just an old grad who remembers a PSU that while it was more of a liberal haven than the surrounding towns, I never felt it to be as extreme as it is today. My mind has always been open but they have really stepped too far in my opinion and it could very well end up biting them in the butt. I for one have little interest in supporting them and my son who graduated in May sadly has very little PSU pride. He had to live with the woke crap they kept spooning out.

Hoflane is right about one thing PSU has indeed sold out to wokeness. It is very extreme on campus and in the State College community. If it is your thing then you are happy and have no problem with it. It has become a haven for such thought and representation. Maybe I’m just an old grad who remembers a PSU that while it was more of a liberal haven than the surrounding towns, I never felt it to be as extreme as it is today. My mind has always been open but they have really stepped too far in my opinion and it could very well end up biting them in the butt. I for one have little interest in supporting them and my son who graduated in May sadly has very little PSU pride. He had to live with the woke crap they kept spooning out.
It is educators in general.

Looking at the recent recruiting class I don't see any big changes. OSU still with the same type recruiting class they always get, same as us, no big change. Are you talking the transfer portal signings? I don't follow that.
Looks like Oregon has had a really good class.

It's easy to see that the next major change will be that the players no longer are required to be students. Then you could have a quarterback that starts for you 'school' for seven or eight years. Professional football - minor leagues. No mystery why the four commissioners were in Washington DC three weeks ago, begging congress to get involved in this NIL/transfer situation. They can see where this is going - a situation where the Texas Longhorns are National Champions seven years in a row.
ESPN/Fox/commissioners/Athletic Directors/Coaches = little boys in a tree fort daydreaming, and they F'd it up...bad.

I don't think it is any more or less "bad business" than spending on professional football. Local businesses sign NFL players to market their products/services all the time. I don't think it is any less good business to sign a QB (or any other position) from a college team to do the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT