ADVERTISEMENT

The Future of Penn State Wrestling is Brighter Than Ever, With Jeff Byers

Few people are more enthusiastic than Byers about PSU wrestling. Yet he had to caution Zach against speeding several times.

Last edited:
Reactions: NittanyLion84
Zach gets a little carried away with the 4 time national champion predictions. An extremely rare and elite accomplishment. Future sure is bright though.
7 total, 3 in past 2 seasons and 5 in past 12 seasons. Still rare, but not as much so as in past. Still, as Spencer showed winning 4 ain't easy.

Last edited:
Realistically you have to think some of these guys will end up taking gray shirts as well. I'd guess Connor Mirasola, Lilledahl, Sealey, Duke and Ryder will all be 4-timers when it's all said and done if things are managed properly. Anything less would be a MAJOR disappointment and could bring about a coaching change.

Realistically you have to think some of these guys will end up taking gray shirts as well. I'd guess Connor Mirasola, Lilledahl, Sealey, Duke and Ryder will all be 4-timers when it's all said and done if things are managed properly. Anything less would be a MAJOR disappointment and could bring about a coaching change.
Better use the sarcasm font here,

My goodness, I hope that was sarcasm.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be disappointing, but a coaching change is a bit much if there are not 5 more 4x'ers in the next 4-5 years.
I think a longer leash has been earned.

My goodness, I hope that was sarcasm.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be disappointing, but a coaching change is a bit much if there are not 5 more 4x'ers in the next 4-5 years.
I think a longer leash has been earned.
I should have qualified it, I could accept it if somebody were to suffer an injury. But my point still stands, if you get a #1 guy and he takes a redshirt he damn well better win a title the next four years. If they're getting beat it's only because some other kid's coach is doing a better job.

GRIP says hold my beer.

• Haha
Reactions: Hotshoe and hlstone
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

Reactions: Wilco43 and Hotshoe
I should have qualified it, I could accept it if somebody were to suffer an injury. But my point still stands, if you get a #1 guy and he takes a redshirt he damn well better win a title the next four years. If they're getting beat it's only because some other kid's coach is doing a better job.
I thought you meant they all had to win 4 each. All good.

#1 prospect coming out of high school does not necessarily mean he will be the best college wrestler over the next 4 to 5 years, which might have something to do with coaching or just that another wrestler developed better

Reactions: Hotshoe
A lot of variables of how a top rated high school kid progesses in college. Obviously injury can dictate a lot. Size of wrestler coming out of highschool. Was he cutting a lot of weight and still maturing when he was 17/18. I don't think we will see Davis at 125 again.
I think some kids also benefit from the tremendous coaching they receive when they are young. Another kid at same weight might only start to getting coached up in college. An example would be mid to upper weight kid that also played football in highschool.
Chance Marstellar is an example of how weight, coaching and body development can create an unrealistic expectation from high school to college.

🧐 I’ll just be happy if the coaching staff finds a way to get them all in the lineup, especially Sealy.

Reactions: RB-Old
7 total, 3 in past 2 seasons and 5 in past 12 seasons. Still rare, but not as much so as in past. Still, as Spencer showed winning 4 ain't easy.
My question would be how many historical 3-timers did not have the opportunity to compete for 4 due to any number of issues beyond their control, eg, freshman eligibility rules, etc?

Reactions: We Are . . .
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT