ADVERTISEMENT

The latest Penn State / Pitt Recruiting scoreboard: 16-0-3

NITTANYJGK

Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
16 PSU commits with Pitt offers

0 Pitt commits with commitable PSU offers

3 Pitt commits with uncommitable PSU offers.

Is it possible that Pitt is on NCAA sanctions and we're not aware of it? Can you imagine how berzerk this board would be if we had Pitt's recruiting class?

I hate uncommitable offers. Either a school is offering a kid or they're not. It's so sleazy for universities to say, "We're going to offer you a scholarship, but we won't accept your commitment."

16 PSU commits with Pitt offers

0 Pitt commits with commitable PSU offers

3 Pitt commits with uncommitable PSU offers.

Is it possible that Pitt is on NCAA sanctions and we're not aware of it? Can you imagine how berzerk this board would be if we had Pitt's recruiting class?

No one from The "Liar" is gonna buy this. They are stealing blue chip 3 stars rated lower than our lowest rated commit, right from under our noses.

Actually from what I've been informed by senior, veteran members of this board, ALL offers made by PSU are commitable immediately for a limited period of time. After a certain period of time, that offer is supposed to lapse. I'm not sure I believe that. Example: a recent offer to DB Marquis Williams who just committed to Pitt. Given our extremely limited remaining scholarships (2 or 3) and the fact that about 6 or 7 other kids are more highly coveted targets, no way in hell was this offer immediately commitable.

Reactions: marshall23
No one from The "Liar" is gonna buy this. They are stealing blue chip 3 stars rated lower than our lowest rated commit, right from under our noses.
You must be wrong because every one of their commits is described as a "STANDOUT" DT, or "STANDOUT LB, etc. All standout commits! The Duzz is snatching these kids from PSU, ND, OSU, UM, FSU, Bama, etc.

The truth is: the Lair knows it. They know the Duzz is getting whacked. But the propaganda machine grinds on.

Let's just beat them this year.

Cr1oDvVWgAEsqxy.jpg

Reactions: Uh Clem
Well they do have the best 55th ranked recruiting class in the country,so they have that going for them.

I hate uncommitable offers. Either a school is offering a kid or they're not. It's so sleazy for universities to say, "We're going to offer you a scholarship, but we won't accept your commitment."
I don't know how it works with recruiting, but I got a lot of non commitable offers when I was dating. They all started something like "you're a great guy, but...":rolleyes:

This is the new he wasn't Penn State material BS fans use to make themselves feel better.

I'm not even sure that all offers are committable at the time they are initially offered which sounds weird. Often, they are just feelers to gauge interest.
As for the Williams kid, It sounds to me that he might be bull******** about his offers a bit. He claimed that he is a 4 star which wasn't true and then there's the comment about "changing college football."

Reactions: marshall23
This is the new he wasn't Penn State material BS fans use to make themselves feel better.

Maybe/likely these kids end up at Pitt regardless...but I don't think Pitt should be the program PSU needs to be measuring itself against if we want sustained success in this division and on national stage. The best part about this class isn't kids picking PSU over Pitt. It's kids (especially out of state kids) picking PSU over Bama, OSU, Michigan, USC, ND, etc.

Last edited:

Maybe, but there is such a thing as filling up at a position and telling kids who were previously offered that there is no more room at the inn.

All offers are certainly not committable. Penn State has probably over 100 verbal offers out there. Other schools have a lot more. Anyone who thinks that they are all committable is nuts.

Reactions: Limestone_Lion
I'm not even sure that all offers are committable at the time they are initially offered which sounds weird. Often, they are just feelers to gauge interest.
As for the Williams kid, It sounds to me that he might be bull******** about his offers a bit. He claimed that he is a 4 star which wasn't true and then there's the comment about "changing college football."

Per 247 offer list, PSU has over 150 offers out in the class of '18 (Pitt has over 200)......so I'm just going to say with relative confidence not all of those are committable at the time the offer is extended.

The best quote from the Lair was about Williams " he's a lengthy 5'9"!"

I'm fairly "lengthy" myself. If you get my drift.

However, I don't get the whole uncommittable offer thing. I sometimes wonder if an "offer" is just an invitation to camp. And then, whatever happens after camp is when things get serious.

Per 247 offer list, PSU has over 150 offers out in the class of '18 (Pitt has over 200)......so I'm just going to say with relative confidence not all of those are committable at the time the offer is extended.
I thought one of the reasons that Pitt was doing so badly in the Rival's rankings is that they had a small class and are being choosy. From your post it sounds like they offered just about anyone with a pulse, and a few that don't have one. Funny that they are doing so poorly among the 200+. Maybe 180+ of the kids they offered had better than MAC level talent and are going to real P5 schools.

Until we beat them, 42-39 is all that matters

Spoken like a true Pitt fan. Why so much emphasis on the fluky outcome of one game? A young and injured PSU was clearly the better team head to head, they just handed Pitt the game. PSU got healthy and improved to become one of the best teams in the nation, winning the toughest conference in the processes. They've also beaten Pitt 7 of the last 9 meetings, and are crushing them in recruiting. Everything I just typed, is all that matters.

PSU_Nut said:

I swear I'm not a Pitt troll! - Sincerely PSU_Nut

Nevermind that since PSU is totally dominating Pitt in recruiting, there is no need to "make themselves feel better".

Until we beat them, 42-39 is all that matters
To them. Certainly correct that bragging rights are mostly scoreboard dependent, but winning the B1G while still in building mode and dominating PA recruiting matters as well.

If we come up short this year, face meets pie and we all know it.

I thought one of the reasons that Pitt was doing so badly in the Rival's rankings is that they had a small class and are being choosy. From your post it sounds like they offered just about anyone with a pulse, and a few that don't have one. Funny that they are doing so poorly among the 200+. Maybe 180+ of the kids they offered had better than MAC level talent and are going to real P5 schools.

This is one of those situations where Pitt fans are trying to convince themselves of something that really has no basis in reality. They should be thankful to be so wrong here though. If Narduzzi wasn't casting a wide net, they'd be in a lot more trouble than they already are.

Probably more telling is that there's been essentially no net gain from their wins over Clemson and PSU last year. They finished 37th in '17 rankings and have almost no shot to improve on that this year when you look at where they currently stand with their target list and undecideds.

You are 100% incorrect. There have been recent PSU commits (not naming names) that came to PSU and love our school, but would have gone elsewhere (OSU, for example) if that school had not taken someone higher on their recruiting board at the same position. That is happening less now with PSU's recent success on the field and because of the success PSU's staff is having with player development. However, when an Alabama or OSU fills up there are going to be super-talented kids with offers that simply cannot sign there, and they end up somewhere else. Guess what? There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Those players are going to love their school, love their team, and have the opportunity for superb CFB careers.

Not quite on that level (yet?!) is a PSU program that right now has 2 spots to fill, and wants some combination of Walker (ranked 49 overall nationally according to Rivals), Oweh (179), Parsons(6), and Smith (53). None of the other 100+ recruits with PSU offers are in a position to commit. That includes two extremely talented 4-star wide receivers who are phenomenal but cannot be part of the 2018 class unless at least three of our remaining committable targets go elsewhere. Because the staff has decided that PSU's three committed WR recruits are more than sufficient for the class, and the need for each or any of those four highly talented linemen is greater than the need for another WR. This is a simple fact.

As another example, do you truly believe that any of the three current Pitt commits that list PSU offers could call Coach Franklin and change their commitment over to PSU, thereby taking one of the those last two spots in our 2018 class? Absolutely not. That is not a slam on those players, it's just that they would not fill as important a need on PSU's roster.

In fairness, the PSU fanbase is not used to this. It's been a very long time since PSU has been in the position of having to turn away 4-star talent. And I get it, it sucks to be on the other end of it - we were there for a long time with the likes of OSU, Michigan, ND, and a few others that would often land the recruits we really wanted. So of course many would say "well, we didn't want him either" when we absolutely did. But this is entirely different.

So, you'll get your recruits over at Pitt, and we'll hopefully get two of those four who hold commitable PSU offers. Two or three of them will likely pick OSU, and thus become "not PSU material" to some ;) but that is a different thing.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
I think Marquis Williams is a pretty solid CB prospect. However, he tried to commit to Wisconsin, they told him they wanted to see how a couple things played out first. Hence, he committed to Pitt.

it's probably a pretty soft commit at this point.

I think Marquis Williams is a pretty solid CB prospect. However, he tried to commit to Wisconsin, they told him they wanted to see how a couple things played out first. Hence, he committed to Pitt.

it's probably a pretty soft commit at this point.
Agree with the soft commit comment. The kid hasn't even visited Pitt. He's never been there. Sounds like a impulsive decision based on the Wisky slow play. Of all of Pitt's 3star commits, this kid might be their top commit in a class devoid of impact players. Pitt is struggling.

Williams won't stick with Pitt if he gets something committable from either MSU or Wisky, but given his tiny stature, I cannot imagine that he will be able to commit to either. He gives away over 60lbs and 8-9 inches to Juwan Johnson, for example. It's absurd.

I think Zubovic (sp?) may have had a commitable offer when he commited to Pitt. Morgan defintely didn't. This Marquis Williams kid definitely didn't. Kwantel Raines, Soloman Enis and Jahan Dotson don't even have a commitable offers at this point.

Those guys all could have committed to PSU at some point, but the class started to fill up pretty quick and their spots were taken. I have a feeling the Williams kid may not have had many offers remaining. That's the only thing that makes sense if you commit to a school without even visiting.

Agree with the soft commit comment. The kid hasn't even visited Pitt. He's never been there. Sounds like a impulsive decision based on the Wisky slow play. Of all of Pitt's 3star commits, this kid might be their top commit in a class devoid of impact players. Pitt is struggling.
Everyone they got from June on should be considered a soft commit. There are always a flurry of commits in June at a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier schools because these are commits from kids that weren't getting offers from the schools they really want. It'll be interesting to see what happens in December with the kids that are thinking they might get a commitable offer from schools they really want to be part of.

Sometimes I think about how much it would totally suck to be a Pitt fan. Then a chill runs up the back of my spine and I have to think about something else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT