ADVERTISEMENT

The most disappointing thing about the offense

LurkerLazarus

Oct 21, 2017
Where all banned posters eventually go.
Is that we've seen very very little of Stevens. I don't understand why he isn't utilized more. It seems like he was used more last year. I think we all were assuming early in the season that they had stuff designed for him that we'd see eventually, but eventually has come and gone without seeing a whole lot of him. I really thought he'd be a consistent part of the offensive game plan by mid-year.

Is that we've seen very very little of Stevens. I don't understand why he isn't utilized more. It seems like he was used more last year. I think we all were assuming early in the season that they had stuff designed for him that we'd see eventually, but eventually has come and gone without seeing a whole lot of him. I really thought he'd be a consistent part of the offensive game plan by mid-year.
With all the injuries, MoJo can only call RPOs with SB.............to the left. It is what we do and we dare not ...............veer. Oh, it might be more successful next year if the OL............improves.

This team came into 2017 with very realistic goals of playing for a conference championship and the CFP. Now that those are off the table, perhaps it is time to start looking to the future. I wouldn't mind seeing Trace/Saquon/Desean/Gesicki play the first and third quarters and let Stevens/Sanders/Polk/Holland, etc. play the second and fourth quarters regardless of score.

Does it really matter whether we are the third or fourth selection for one of those non-CFP bowls? Franklin is always talking about building the program, well, maybe it is time to build for 2018 and beyond.

Reactions: katchthis

Does Stevens add anything to the passing game that Trace is not giving the team? Highly unlikely. I love Tommy's potential to run the offense but don't think the passing game is a problem.

Would TS be a more effective running option? It's a reach. I think if the staff wanted a battering ram option to run between the tackles, Robinson makes a lot more sense.

The team has packages for Stevens, but the defense has to cooperate a bit. If Moorhead doesn't like the setup, he's not going to call the Stevens packages.

Does Stevens add anything to the passing game that Trace is not giving the team? Highly unlikely. I love Tommy's potential to run the offense but don't think the passing game is a problem.

Would TS be a more effective running option? It's a reach. I think if the staff wanted a battering ram option to run between the tackles, Robinson makes a lot more sense.

The team has packages for Stevens, but the defense has to cooperate a bit. If Moorhead doesn't like the setup, he's not going to call the Stevens packages.

I think Stevens has a stronger arm than TM but it's impossible to say the pass offense would be better with him playing.

But Stevens is an exponentially a better runner than Trace. So have to disagree with your 2nd point.

Reactions: Grass
I think Stevens has a stronger arm than TM but it's impossible to say the pass offense would be better with him playing.

But Stevens is an exponentially a better runner than Trace. So have to disagree with your 2nd point.

Agree about arm strength, although I think Trace's arm is underrated. It's not a gun, but he throws a very catchable ball and can thread the needle if needed.

The thing about the QB running game is the decision making and reads....something that it's hard for us as fans to really judge. I think Stevens is more likely to grind out 3-4 yards up the middle just because of his build, but Trace is a better QB running off tackle.

We have 2 great options here and love the fact that QB is the least of our worries for a few years at least. One way or the other, I don't think QB is the reason for these last 2 weeks. Can't overreact.

Agree about arm strength, although I think Trace's arm is underrated. It's not a gun, but he throws a very catchable ball and can thread the needle if needed.

The thing about the QB running game is the decision making and reads....something that it's hard for us as fans to really judge. I think Stevens is more likely to grind out 3-4 yards up the middle just because of his build, but Trace is a better QB running off tackle.

We have 2 great options here and love the fact that QB is the least of our worries for a few years at least. One way or the other, I don't think QB is the reason for these last 2 weeks. Can't overreact.
Can thread the needle sometimes, and can miss open receivers. I really like TM heart, but there can be better QBs.

We are just going to have to disagree about the running.

And just saw a replay of his last pick. That was a dreadful threw. I mean awful. It should have been a TD but it was literally 3 yards behind Blacknall

I believe Stevens could find the wide open W/R's that Trace can't do, probably due to his height and his tendency to lock in on one receiver. Although, the lousy OL blocking probably impacts Traces' decisions. But, even with time, Trace goes to his first choice time and again.

The most disappointing things for me is that defenses have had a year and a half of film to study and know how to scheme against the offense, and there has been literally no adjustments or wrinkles put in place to counteract the defenses. Defenses are crowding the LOS completely stopping the run and taking away the short middle pass option. This leaves sideline and long middle passes as the only options left which are lower completion rate options. The offense should be renamed the PO offense because there is no R option anymore (plus it really pisses me off at times).

Second, Trace has not shown the accuracy this year that he had last year. He was mostly deadly accurate last year and I had confidence that a completion was going to made when the ball left his hand. This year I cringe every time I see the ball leaves his hand. This has made it much easier to defend the PSU offense.

Reactions: drblue1977
This was discussed on the radio pregame yesterday. Steve and Jack said that you can't forget that Stevens is the backup QB. Risking them both to injury at the same time has potential to ruin the entire rest of your season.

One could also argue why was it worth the risk against Georgia St and Akron but not the meat of our schedule?

This was discussed on the radio pregame yesterday. Steve and Jack said that you can't forget that Stevens is the backup QB. Risking them both to injury at the same time has potential to ruin the entire rest of your season.

One could also argue why was it worth the risk against Georgia St and Akron but not the meat of our schedule?

Exactly. If it wasn't too risky against Ga state (when the game was never in doubt) then it shouldn't be too risky when the season is on the line

Reactions: Ct. Lion
We are just going to have to disagree about the running.

And just saw a replay of his last pick. That was a dreadful threw. I mean awful. It should have been a TD but it was literally 3 yards behind Blacknall

Yes, awful throw. Tom Brady still makes bad throws and decisions. It's the nature of the position. The kid still threw for 381and is among the top 20 QBs in the nation when you look at just about every category. Anyone thinking QB is a problem should ask themselves what other QB in the country could do more in this offense.

Stevens looked great against Georgia State. The coaches might have very good reasons for not bringing him in against OSU and MSU.

Or, maybe not. In the 2015/16 Tax Slayer bowl it was immediately apparent that Trace was a superior QB than Hack, and it would have been nice if he played that whole season.

Unless Stevens can play at tackle, I don't think him being in or not is the real issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT