ADVERTISEMENT

The Panhellenic council at PSU is apparently training up a new generation

well, the crux of it

is your use of works "to be silenced". I don't think they are "being silenced" or that there will be any penalty for talking. I think its a strong suggestion and therein lies the difference. Any good criminal defense attorney will tell you, strait away, don't talk. In many cases, lawyers will drop a case (within their allowed guidelines) if a client doesn't follow those instructions.

It was sent by the Panhellenic council too. they are a group of

SORORITIES. I wonder if black frat members at OU were similarly encouraged not to speak.
From the article in the Collegian:

A sorority member, who asked to remain anonymous, said the executive board of her sorority sent an email to members about the matter as well. That email was also obtained by the Collegian.

“Do not know if you have/will encounter this, but there are a lot of reporters on campus regarding the KDR suspension. They have been asking multiple girls for feedback even if they were not a part of the situation,” the email reads.“Panhell has asked that we do not speak to any reporters, or give comments regarding the situation. Just walk away from the reporters if they approach you.”

This was in the original article I linked
This post was edited on 3/19 1:45 PM by demlion

What you apparently do not get is the Panhellenic Council is a SORORITY

group, and they sent their members the exact same message as the frat boys sent theirs.

A sorority member, who asked to remain anonymous, said the executive board of her sorority sent an email to members about the matter as well. That email was also obtained by the Collegian.

"Do not know if you have/will encounter this, but there are a lot of reporters on campus regarding the KDR suspension. They have been asking multiple girls for feedback even if they were not a part of the situation," the email reads."Panhell has asked that we do not speak to any reporters, or give comments regarding the situation. Just walk away from the reporters if they approach you."

The sorority member who shared the email voiced discontent with the way the Panhellenic Council was handling public response.

"Here we have an opportunity to take a stand that as women we will not tolerate this kind of behavior from men, Panhellenic will not take the stand," she said.

PHC President Abby Renko could not be reached for comment at this time.

I wonder if the black frat members at OU were also told not to talk.
This post was edited on 3/19 2:00 PM by demlion

Re: well, the crux of it

Originally posted by Obliviax:
is your use of works "to be silenced". I don't think they are "being silenced" or that there will be any penalty for talking. I think its a strong suggestion and therein lies the difference. Any good criminal defense attorney will tell you, strait away, don't talk. In many cases, lawyers will drop a case (within their allowed guidelines) if a client doesn't follow those instructions.
I agree, but not every fraternity member is on trial here. If you're a member of the fraternity under fire, then yes, you would be an idiot to say anything publicly to anyone. If you're a fraternity member of another fraternity at Penn State, you should be allowed to comment without reservation or fear of repercussion. When these guys are being advised by criminal defense attorneys, we're playing a different ball game with different rules.

Re: well, the crux of it

Originally posted by Midnighter:

Originally posted by Obliviax:
I agree, but not every fraternity member is on trial here. There have been shots taken at "greeks", meaning all frats and sororities. As such, they are all on trial here, if someone says the wrong thing. If you're a member of the fraternity under fire, then yes, you would be an idiot to say anything publicly to anyone. If you're a fraternity member of another fraternity at Penn State, you should be allowed to comment without reservation or fear of repercussion. What "fear of repercussion" is there? Did I miss something? It sounds like a warning to be prepared with a suggestion to walk away to me. When these guys are being advised by criminal defense attorneys, we're playing a different ball game with different rules.
Don't get me wrong...I am no fan of frats or sororities. I didn't join one. But I just hate people being considered guilty before the information is in. I hope these boys get justice, but the rush to judgement reminds me so much of paterno in the JS situation.

And what if you are a sorority member? WTF interest do you have

in whether frats get roasted for this stuff? Why would you be interested in making the same noises as the frat boys' defense counsel. What if the victims are sorority sisters?

Did the tell Black frat bros at OU to be quiet?

not sure when you went to school but sororities have

their no exception. Just wait until one of the sisters at Chi Omega makes a statement saying how disgusting the frat is, only to have the next Sarah Ganim post photos of her sisters dressed up like drugged out Mexicans.

And, nobody "told" them to be quite, it was suggested that they walk away with no comment.

Pretty obvious from the original article I linked that lots of sorority

sisters are a little pissed at this "suggestion." No one has answered me yet. Did black frat bros at OU also get the suggestion to be quiet about their recent issue? Should they have?
This post was edited on 3/19 2:33 PM by demlion

Re: And what if you are a sorority member? WTF interest do you have

Originally posted by demlion:
in whether frats get roasted for this stuff? Why would you be interested in making the same noises as the frat boys' defense counsel. What if the victims are sorority sisters?

Did the tell Black frat bros at OU to be quiet?
Sorry - my intent was for the term 'fraternity' to cover both fraternities and sororities. My opinion is that student members of sororities and/or fraternities should be allowed to say what they want. I would recommend those in the fraternity with the facebook account to probably keep their mouths shut given what will no doubt be pending legal action.

IF PSU wants to be protected from this kind of story, then PSU ought to do

a better job of policing its frats. Women should not have to remain silent about abuse just so PSU can look good in the media.

Re: Got it. Not saying this isn't a bit of overkill...

but I also don't see it as trying to put a total muzzle on fraternity and sorority members about the issues underlying the incident. It says don't talk to or give reporters comments on the KDR situation. That seems a far cry from a politburo-style diktat prohibiting discussions on female empowerment in a male-dominated society, etc.

Further, I don't see anything in the email or related statements indicating any threat of punishment if someone does talk to the media. That might be a different situation. This seems to be very reasonably saying it's in the best interests of all parties to avoid talking to random reporters fishing for out-of-context or misconstrued comments. It may be the case that they are also trying to avoid comments like "this sort of thing probably happens ALL the time" or "if those girls passed out in a frat house, they shouldn't be surprised at what happened." Those are just stupid opinions and may even be said in jest by unserious college students, but they are not flattering coming from a member of the organization under fire. If you think reporters are in the business of generating thoughtful and considered opinions or comments, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would be willing to part with for a very reasonable price! Pardon me, my cynicism is showing!!

People right here said things like"I would make sure my daughter knew

not to pass out at a frat house." I am much more comfortable with people being able to say what they think. If that paints PSU in a bad light, the answer is that is some bonehead, not PSU.

But there is no escaping that these were PSU students who set up this page.

Do you know the difference between "please" and "telling"?

this is a recommendation. Noone is telling anyone to do anything.

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT