ADVERTISEMENT

Three more transfers - McPhearson, Wade and Polk

Doesn't make much sense. Wade, who has played two years already, basically told JF if you get Cross here you are forcing my hand and I will leave? As if Wade gave him an ultimatum that you can't recruit any more high level safeties if you want me to stick around? If he did, any coach would say, c-ya.

OK, I will try to dramatize this:

CJF: "We have a chance at Nick Cross and will pursue that chance like we do others."

LW: "No problem, I have to do what is best for me so I am going to put my name in the transfer portal."

CJF: "Sounds good, thank you for letting me know."

LM Leaves room.

Later that day:

LW to LW (In his mind): "I will see what is out there for me in case Cross does come to PSU. I am all for competition but it is year 3 for me and I may not see the 2 deep if they get this guy."

I agree, I was laughing at the notion that because of Cross, a FSU committ potentially coming in, that would be the reason Wade would give JF an ultimatum.

Did I call it an ultimatum? Didn't even know how to spell that until spell check so I don't think I did.

I am saying in LW mind if they get Cross he would likely know he was sliding down another peg so if they did get him he would go. If they didn't get him then he might stay because he might still be on the 2 deep.

No ultimatum no pressure, just thoughts.

Did I call it an ultimatum? Didn't even know how to spell that until spell check so I don't think I did.

I am saying in LW mind if they get Cross he would likely know he was sliding down another peg so if they did get him he would go. If they didn't get him then he might stay because he might still be on the 2 deep.

No ultimatum no pressure, just thoughts.

Brisker is more of a reason for Wade to transfer than the possibility of Cross coming to Penn State.

Wade already knows that Sutherland and Taylor are the two safety starters for the start of 2019 unless something unexpected happens. Wade also knows that Brisker is expected to be a key contributor in the safety spot coming in for 2019.

Again I don't think any of those are unexpected. I know that I've seen Monroe's name mentioned as a possible Grad Transfer before. Miller I just kind of assumed since he got very little playing time after the first game or so. (not sure why since I thought he did ok). Gellerstadt's name was talked about a possible Portal entrance last week.
I'd also expect to see at least 2 more, another Dback and a TE.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Brisker is more of a reason for Wade to transfer than the possibility of Cross coming to Penn State.

Wade already knows that Sutherland and Taylor are the two safety starters for the start of 2019 unless something unexpected happens. Wade also knows that Brisker is expected to be a key contributor in the safety spot coming in for 2019.

I don't believe that Sutherland is now one of the two starting Safety's. Just like last year, the depth chart won't likely be updated until the conclusion of Spring practice. My understanding is that the competition for the open starting Safety spot, left vacant by Scott graduating, will go on during Spring practice among whoever participates in Spring practice. Wade obviously believed he would be thought of at the top of the competition, and it seems that is/was not the case. I do not believe Sutherland has the job now. Has he positioned himself in a good spot based upon his performance in the playing time he got in 2018? Yes. But Sutherland looked to have some work to do in pass coverage, and Monroe could make a move, as from what I've seen Monroe has looked better in pass coverage over his career than what Sutherland has shown so far. I'm hoping Monroe gives it one more shot, but he could transfer as well. Rudolph could raise the level of competition as well. Who knows at this point of Petrishen will be back, but based upon his career at PSU to date a move by him would be pretty surprising. And this year with Brisker coming in this summer the "winner" in the Spring will still have to hold off another talented entry into the competition over the Summer and Fall.

Of course if Wade, Monroe, and Petrishen all transfer Sutherland may have the job coming out of Spring practice by process of elimination!!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
If all of this is true. Franklin needs to address it asap.

How could he "address it"??

About his only choice is to work his butt off between now and the Feb signing day and fill out the 2019 class. From there he and his staff will likely examine the transfer portal lists and try and find a player or two that can help the team. But it will be easier for teams such as pitt to bring in 5-7 players from other schools that can actually compete to start for them than it will be for CJF to bring in 1 or 2 that could compete to be on the 2-deep. What positions could CJF sell a transfer on that is pretty open for an incoming player to play? Maybe the DL rotation. I doubt CJF would take a player not starting somewhere else and start him at OT over Walker. LB - No. DB - not at CB and with Brisker coming in to compete with Sutherland and 1 or 2 4-star recruits - No. ...... Interior OL - No. WR - No. Just too much talent to be able to sell a lot of opportunity...... Well, maybe a kicker for KO's that can keep the ball in bounds....

Last edited:
Reactions: bdgan and TheGLOV
Again I don't think any of those are unexpected. I know that I've seen Monroe's name mentioned as a possible Grad Transfer before. Miller I just kind of assumed since he got very little playing time after the first game or so. (not sure why since I thought he did ok). Gellerstadt's name was talked about a possible Portal entrance last week.
I'd also expect to see at least 2 more, another Dback and a TE.

Yep, Danny Dalton as the TE and DJ Brown as the CB?

Yep, Danny Dalton as the TE and DJ Brown as the CB?

Saw in one of the threads the returning TE's blocking success rates. Dalton was worst and was about half of the 2nd to last TE's..... So he seems to be at the bottom of the depth chart at TE now.

Except for Wade, all third and fourth year guys who aren't starters. Not sure what Franklin can do about it and he may not want to do anything. This may be the new norm although I'm guessing this year will be the worst for transfers and in the future there will be more draft picks due to increased talent. He is the one that stated the model is three years to graduate. The unsaid part is you can transfer after that if you aren't happy with your role. imo

Reactions: TheGLOV and BBrown
Big difference between "address it", and "cure it".

Obviously :) there is precious little that can be done, at this point, to avert a significant roster problem in the near term. That ship has sailed (for the most part... aside from, as you pointed out, working like the devil to find the maximum of 7 recruits that he can still bring in to start plugging the leaks).
Just as obviously :), CJF needs to perform a thorough autopsy to figure out why the hell there is an egress of folks as if they are jumping off a sinking ship. Figure out why it is happening, and take the necessary steps to minimize the chances that it continues going forward.

I don't know what the autopsy will show. No idea. But the guy in charge DOES need to figure out the reasons - and develop the solutions - ASAP.

CJF can't cure it, and at this point in the recruiting cycle his options to address it by restocking the numbers on the roster are also pretty limited.

Isn't it pretty obvious what is happening. The players leaving have worked hard to compete and want to start during their last year or years of college football. Their goal of starting will not likely be completed at PSU due to the roster of high talented players that CJF has brought in. So they are looking for a spot where they can have a much better chance to start.

What will be interesting is to see if any (or many) of those that go into the portal decide to come back and compete at PSU. How far will they be willing to go down in competition to be able to play. To a bottom tier P5 team is one thing. But would Monroe for instance rather play for Duquesne than play special teams at PSU and go to a nice bowl next winter? It will be interesting to see where they all go or don't go.

Theoretically... yes.

But - unless I missed one - the next guy who does that will be the first :eek:

Eventually, I am sure there will be someone, somewhere, who does just that. Sooner or later it has to happen.
But keep in mind, before these kids are listed in the portal, they have gone to their Coach/AD/Whomever, publicly (ie all their teammates and others around the program are aware of the situation) and said:

"I want to look at other schools".

And said:

"Yes, I understand that I will no longer have the promise of a scholarship here".

And they are now going to hear from any and every coach who would like to sell him on their program.

Bottom Line: There ain't gonna' be many going back through the other side. :rolleyes:

It seems sorta like telling your spouse you want to explore other options, and then trying to go back when you find out that your other options suck.

The only things I would assume as obvious are:

A) Every story is somewhat unique
and
B) I will never know all the details about each situation

(In fact, I pretty much know that to be true, and I know that to be true for just about everyone - including anyone providing their pontifications on the matter)

But I have no reason to care... I can't take any corrective measures, so it really doesn't matter.

What I do know - and anyone who follows the sport knows - is that a roster of 70-75 guys is going to be a HUGE handicap wrt competing in the B10.
So, the person/people who CAN take corrective measures - if they want to have success moving forward - need to figure it out and take those corrective measures, whatever they may be.
The "Blue White Game" might have to be renamed the "Blue Game" or changed to 7 vs. 7.

Two things I know for sure in college football - you're not going to win without quality depth, and relying on freshmen to make a significant impact is a losing strategy. We're only a few years removed from having our LB corps wiped out against Michigan. Losing quality depth should be a concern for any team.
Weren't there a couple of freshman that made significant impact on Clemson winning the National Championship?

The "Blue White Game" might have to be renamed the "Blue Game" or changed to 7 vs. 7.
This is very concerning from an overall depth standpoint. It impacts Special Teams and the quality of practice. Perhaps a few will reconsider, but this many is not good.

I do hope the staff can cauterize the bleeding via additions to this class and some transfers in from other programs.

I wonder if they now need to relook at the 3 yr grad model and if that will continue to impact attrition with this transfer portal?

I wonder if they now need to relook at the 3 yr grad model and if that will continue to impact attrition with this transfer portal?
You're right. CJF stressed how he had to change practice among things when scholarships were limited by sactions. I'm sure they are looking at everything and anything to adapt to these new rules.

Weren't there a couple of freshman that made significant impact on Clemson winning the National Championship?

I said it’s not a reliable winning strategy - not that there aren’t exceptions.

Besides maybe McGovern/Bates/Givens/Miller are we really sad any of the other guys are looking for more playing time elsewhere? Is anyone losing sleep because Jarvis Miller wants to transfer? Yes, on the outside it looks like some crazy mass exodus, but besides the guys looking to go to the NFL it really doesn't matter. I am a little sad with Wade but like someone else mentioned, he is more in to his rap career than his football career and State College isn't a hotbed for future rappers.

Top recruits want to play early. Looks like Brisker, Rudolph and hopefully Cross will get that chance at Safety.

Wonder if a player like Dixon could start out at Safety (his H.S. position??) since LB seems so stacked....

Lots of sorting out to do before and during Spring practice...

I haven't this read whole thread (any of it). I think it's pretty clear what happened here. Everyone was sold the dream of winning the Heisman and they hand out one of those a year. Worse, you can only start 11 guys on one side of the ball. Some people want the dream. God bless them going to get it. The young guys will be expected to play up their 4 stars asap. Hopefully we can sell playing time to the top targets left: Nester, Richards, Cross, Ellies, and Sorrells.

The Monroe announcement has some good things in it lol
  • The little graphic text guy giving the double middle finger
  • "However, I feel that in order to keep my mental in check and reach my full potential as a person and as a player I need to explore other options"
  • "I'll always cherish the good times and remember the dark times"

Reactions: bdgan and Kmase21
Penn State will go into the Spring with - at most - 5 scholarship LBers (plus Jan Johnson)

https://gopsusports.com/roster.aspx?roster=52&path=football

If my math is correct :) that is no more than a 2-deep... IF everyone is healthy

1. Parsons
  2. Cam Brown
  3. Brooks
  4. Jan Johnson (he is on scholarship I believe)
  5. Luketa
  6. Katshir
  7. B. Smith
  8. L. Dixon
That's 8 this Spring. Plus Chizmar, who reportly had scholarship offers but walked on as a legacy player and looked talented during his 2 years in the program.

Bruce Clark's son is a freshman (2018) walking on as a WR but played LB at State College as well I believe and it would not be surprising to see him go to LB now....

Sorry... when I say "spring" I am meaning non-freshmen. I shoulda' been more clear.

In any event, 6 is the number of linebackers in ahead of Dixon (and Smith).

If that equates to "stacked".... I doubt if there is a single squad in the country that is not stacked.

Really? Smith was a pretty sure bet to be on the 2 deep once his LOI was faxed to PSU, no matter the number of returning players.

And I would be surprised if there are 5 or 10 teams in the country that have better LB talent than what CJF has assembled in his 2 deep.

Parsons, Brooks, C.Brown (4th year player), Luketa, Smith, Dixon....

Parsons and Smith were 5 star LB's and the rest are mainly 4 star players.

How many LBs do other schools keep generally?

Does keeping 2-3 3rd stringers REALLY make us feel better? Particularly when, if they had stayed, they are likely to be passed by the incoming freshman 4 games this year?

Security is nice, but ...

Its great for us to want these third string guys to stay after graduating and provide depth but that has always been rare. Paterno's third stringers left the program after graduating but it was after four years back then.

Reactions: Texas Lion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT