ADVERTISEMENT

Time to admit that Cael picked the wrong guy

He may have picked the wrong guy, but your tone about it is really crappy. Rasheed would have been my Choice but you assume he would have done better....I am not sure about that. That cut would have been very tough over the weekend.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Morelli needs more offense!
Multiple leg attacks!

Morelli just lost to Patrick freaking Rhoads
Cael has explained many times now about how Rasheed WAS NOT suited for cutting to 165. It cost his endurance considerably. Those were the cards and that was the reality. It was not a matter Cael picking anything.

Reactions: nitlion6
The difference between these two wrestlers, and the potential point differential at NCAA's, is not worth continually creating topics and posts criticizing a student-athlete, especially in the sport of wrestling. That's not what we're about

The difference between these two wrestlers, and the potential point differential at NCAA's, is not worth continually creating topics and posts criticizing a student-athlete, especially in the sport of wrestling. That's not what we're about
KK>Lemon

He may have picked the wrong guy, but your tone about it is really crappy. Rasheed would have been my Choice but you assume he would have done better....I am not sure about that. That cut would have been very tough over the weekend.
Gino shoots straight on every time. He need to develop some better set ups and misdirection shots.

I would doubt very seriously that the whole coaching staff didn't discuss what our better options would be at 65. I will trust what their decision was after seeing the wrestlers in competition and in the room.

It seems we fan fancy ourselves a better decision makers over the very experienced coaches who are working with much more information than we.

Don't let LemonCake get you all upset. He's a loser troll. I'd like to see LemonCurd wrestle. He's just a little bitter. Get it? Bitter. Lemon.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
I would doubt very seriously that the whole coaching staff didn't discuss what our better options would be at 65. I will trust what their decision was after seeing the wrestlers in competition and in the room.

It seems we fan fancy ourselves a better decision makers over the very experienced coaches who are working with much more information than we.
Hey this is all on Gino...Not the Coaches...If he can't beat that guy he was not going to score any points at Nationals. WE WILL BE FINE GUYS...RELAX AND ENJOY !

I for one want to thank Morelli for transferring to PSU and doing a great job this season!! There is no doubt in my mind that at the very least Hammond and Rasheed are tougher wrestlers today because of Morelli in the room. I think Morelli still has 1 more season and I have no doubt he will have something to say about 165 next season. He worked his A$$ off and I respect the heck out of him. I would love to see him get a Wildcard and another shot...hoping for a miracle

I for one want to thank Morelli for transferring to PSU and doing a great job this season!! There is no doubt in my mind that at the very least Hammond and Rasheed are tougher wrestlers today because of Morelli in the room. I think Morelli still has 1 more season and I have no doubt he will have something to say about 165 next season. He worked his A$$ off and I respect the heck out of him. I would love to see him get a Wildcard and another shot...hoping for a miracle
Indeed.

The only mistake Morelli made was going to Pitt first. He openly talks about how he went to Pitt because they gave him some money instead of going to Penn State. He admit going to Pitt was mistake. He has made a lot of improvement since coming into the wrestling room and has been benefit to the program and those around him.

Cael was in a tough situation: If he runs Shakur out there, he most likely gasses out by the second match, hell, he was gassing early 2nd in most matches this year, and was unable to even stand up in the third. Shakur just could not pull the weight, Cael saw it and made the call, frankly, a bit later than he needed to. If anything, Cael's mistake was not making the call earlier and giving the bulk of the starts to Morelli. Shakur is going to be an excellent wrestler here, very soon, but the next time you see him he's going to look very different, most likely at 184(they'll move Mouse up, although he doesn't belong there, it's just what we do, Jimmy has no business at 141 either and you'll see him move down next year...). Hammond is not done here, he is a factor next year, as you'll see him in the mix most likely along with Cenzo and Morelli.

We're deep, this is how it works with Title teams: Iowa had this problem during their glory years, and so did Okie State during theirs.

I am more worried about Nevills, then 165. I hope he recovers and proves me wrong next year. If not Thomas Haines, who has not proved his worth yet either would be looking good in a Lions singlet. Nevills will get a shot at Haines early next year.

I am more worried about Nevills, then 165. I hope he recovers and proves me wrong next year. If not Thomas Haines, who has not proved his worth yet either would be looking good in a Lions singlet. Nevills will get a shot at Haines early next year.

IMO its a bit too early to judge Nevills. Nevills beat Haines in their only head to head meeting (Dapper Dan). So you want to judge Nevills by his performance where he may have come back too soon from an injury? I agree Haines is yet to prove himself. He was tOSU's 3rd string 285'er behind Snyder (who McIntosh beat for the 197 B10 title last year) and Tavanello and transferred to Lock Haven. Please. Lets wait til next season when both are healthy before we start talking smack. With Haines being at Lock Haven, I'm sure they'll be going head to head a few times.

Reactions: NittanyLion84
I had to go back and watch matches of Nevills from last year to see what might be going on. To me, it looks like that extra 10-15 pounds did not serve him well.

I don't think people are putting NN coming back into perspective. Jefe did a great job of laying out how NN couldn't train till January.

Anybody who's smelled a gym knows if u take two weeks off from hard training u don't just walk back in and see the same performance.

NN had both a torn pec and a broken foot in a 12 month span.

Expecting him to come in and light it up is hoped for but it's just not realistic.

Also consider I believe all 4 tds he gave up were off his action. He just didn't have the strength and stamina to finish against guys who didn't have his issues.

He was our best option, he gave it his all.....I am appreciative of his effort. Lesser guys on lesser teams would have just packed it in.

Re: Rasheed vs. Morelli

As I mentioned in another thread before Big Tens, there are pros and cons to both: Rasheed has bonus point potential but gasses nearly every match and would probably struggle even more in a tournament setting. Morelli is more consistent but lives/dies in OT and the end of the 3rd period in lots of his matches.

No way to know whether this was a good or bad decision but Morelli's 'cons' did cost him in the end when he really needed just one win.

Re: Rasheed vs. Morelli

As I mentioned in another thread before Big Tens, there are pros and cons to both: Rasheed has bonus point potential but gasses nearly every match and would probably struggle even more in a tournament setting. Morelli is more consistent but lives/dies in OT and the end of the 3rd period in lots of his matches.

No way to know whether this was a good or bad decision but Morelli's 'cons' did cost him in the end when he really needed just one win.

If you've got a guy who can't wrestle the full 7 minutes, no matter how talented, it's out of the coaches' hands, as this decision was. As Cael said in the post-tournament interview, 165 just wasn't working for Rasheed. Period. Full Stop. End of story.

Flying Tiger had the best response. There is no objective proof someone else would have been a better choice.

Subjectively. Two weeks prior to the B1G tournament Rasheed was still running on empty half way through a match. Many people who hang out in that room told me early on it would be a difficult cut to accomplish and maintain. Cael flat out said the kid's body simply would not let him wrestle 165.

The staff obviously recognized Rasheed's potential and tried several different approaches attempting to find a way to not only have the kid in the lineup, but capable of performing at an optimal level. The decision of who to wrestle at 165 was made for them. Morelli was easily the logical choice. To bitch or not to bitch about the kid on a message board should have been an even easier decision.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT