ADVERTISEMENT

Tj Johnson to transfer

You always hate to see any player leave, but I think this bears well for TCF and Wade being, at worst, 2nd teamers with the potential for a lot of 1st team reps.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Good luck to TJ. Thought he'd be able to contribute on special teams this year, but I understand wanting to get on the field as well.

Either way, wish him the best.

Reactions: marshall23
Why transfer right before the season? I guess he is doing it b/f the academic semester begins. Is it because he would have to sit a year if remains in Div 1 and this means he would be able to participate in practices next spring? Or will he be able to catch on with a Div. 2 team and play this fall?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Why transfer right before the season? I guess he is doing it b/f the academic semester begins. Is it because he would have to sit a year if remains in Div 1 and this means he would be able to participate in practices next spring? Or will he be able to catch on with a Div. 2 team and play this fall?

Because he was cut from the team?

If "cut" is too strong of word, he was kindly asked to look at other opportunities. He didn't magically wake up this morning after an entire off season and think, "I want to go to a new school..."

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmos

If "cut" is too strong of word, he was kindly asked to look at other opportunities.

Unless you have inside info, I wouldn't presume that at all. I doubt very much that the PSU coaching staff would ever do that. I'd imagine they're honest with everybody on the team about their playing opportunities going forward. From how practice is going, everybody has an idea of where they stand. Some kids are fine contributing to the team as backups, but some want to play -- and are good enough to play elsewhere -- as Johnson obviously is.

I think the only reason a player would ever be encouraged to leave is if they're not going to make it academically or poor off the field behavior.
Better to transfer than become academically ineligible.

But that is not the case here.

Unless you have inside info, I wouldn't presume that at all. I doubt very much that the PSU coaching staff would ever do that. I'd imagine they're honest with everybody on the team about their playing opportunities going forward. From how practice is going, everybody has an idea of where they stand. Some kids are fine contributing to the team as backups, but some want to play -- and are good enough to play elsewhere -- as Johnson obviously is.

I think the only reason a player would ever be encouraged to leave is if they're not going to make it academically or poor off the field behavior.
Better to transfer than become academically ineligible.

But that is not the case here.
I think you're crazy if you think this coaching staff wouldn't do that.
I agree, they wouldn't do it in August though.
23 commits and still recruiting tells you that the coaches will be telling players to walk away from the program. The numbers don't lie.

The kids know class starts today. save the transfer sit time by getting out by today.

Those are some pretty good highlights of his from the BW game. He seemed to be a good coverage DB with solid tackling skills, and a ball hawk. IF he was down on the depth chart, then you have to feel pretty good about our other guys. However, if he is leaving for other reasons not related to kills, then we may have just lost a pretty good player. Time will tell, but good luck to this young man.

If "cut" is too strong of word, he was kindly asked to look at other opportunities. He didn't magically wake up this morning after an entire off season and think, "I want to go to a new school..."

This is when they announce the depth chart and who will be on the scout team. Maybe some kids don't want to put in the time on the scout team with true freshman already ahead of them? Doesn't have to be nefarious.

Most young men who get a D1 scholarship have always been the very best player on their team.....Pop Warner thru high school. It must be difficult to adjust. The reality is that the coaches are going to recruit over you with every class. My guess is there are many schools where this young man can start. I don't blame him for chasing his dream. You only go around once. Similarly, I'm glad the coaches are doing there jobs and making the roster better and deeper.

Reactions: BBrown
I think you're crazy if you think this coaching staff wouldn't do that.
I agree, they wouldn't do it in August though.
23 commits and still recruiting tells you that the coaches will be telling players to walk away from the program. The numbers don't lie.

Now, maybe at Alabama, not here. I'm certain the coaching staff wouldn't sit down with a player who is good standing and meeting the terms of his scholarship and just tell him to get lost because he's not on the two deep. A scholarship is a 4 year commitment -- always has been at PSU and it is B1G policy as well.

It is the coaches' decision whether to extend that scholarship past 4 years or graduation. So players who have graduated and aren't going to be needed the following year -- that's what graduate transfers are for and I'm sure PSU coaches would do everything they can to help people like Geno Lewis or Akeel Lynch.

Of course the players are intelligent people. They know where they stand and what their chances are of playing, they can see the incoming freshman, and they know who's coming the following year. The secondary recruiting has been remarkable, so maybe this is a player who knows he will have a better chance of playing if he goes elsewhere.

Wrong time of year for that. They want all hands on deck for thes season. They need depth, special team players, scout teamers

Reactions: Bob78
My very unofficial count of scholarships indicates that heading into August, there were 87 players on ‘ships. This # includes announced scholarships for former walk-ons TD, BF, BS, and JMc.

Seniors: 17. Numbers 88, 59, 70, 5, 13, 16, 39, 56, 41, 52, 47, 40, 2, 1, 28, 15, and 95.
Juniors: 14. Numbers 77, 3, 10, 26, 9, 20, 8, 19, 43, 33, 7, 21, 4, and 29.
Sophomores: 21. Numbers 18, 83, 76, 74, 66, 52, 84, 11, 2, 6 (AR), 24, 48, 54, 30, 97, 6 (CB), 9, 23, 17, 16, and 93.
Redshirt Freshmen: 14. Numbers 80, 71, 62, 51, 87, 7, 34, 42, 49, 55, 18, 14, 27, and 90.
True Freshmen: 21: Numbers 73, 72, 61, 75, 12, 1, 81, 14, 32, 99, 53, 92, 90, 25, 13, 44, 26, 38, 5, 24, and 3.

TJ’s transfer cuts it to 86.

Fessler and Josh McP announced scholarships last spring; Franklin admitted that Davis is on one; and we all knew Smith earned one. Perhaps 1 of these scholarships only lasts through August, or 1 more transfer occurs to get to 85.

Fessler and JMcPh were for spring, only. Not on full rides. And one of them may be extended now. Smith and Davies definitely.

Fessler and JMcPh were for spring, only. Not on full rides. And one of them may be extended now. Smith and Davies definitely.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just remember reading a "tweet" by Fessler that he had a scholarship for his senior year.

Damn, I liked his potential as a longer corner a la Christian Campbell. I definitely thought he would be a contributor/potential starter down the line.

It might be something we see a lot more of going forward. Franklin won't take a year off recruiting. The competition for the two deep, let alone a starting job, is going to be very very tough.

My very unofficial count of scholarships indicates that heading into August, there were 87 players on ‘ships. This # includes announced scholarships for former walk-ons TD, BF, BS, and JMc.

Seniors: 17. Numbers 88, 59, 70, 5, 13, 16, 39, 56, 41, 52, 47, 40, 2, 1, 28, 15, and 95.
Juniors: 14. Numbers 77, 3, 10, 26, 9, 20, 8, 19, 43, 33, 7, 21, 4, and 29.
Sophomores: 21. Numbers 18, 83, 76, 74, 66, 52, 84, 11, 2, 6 (AR), 24, 48, 54, 30, 97, 6 (CB), 9, 23, 17, 16, and 93.
Redshirt Freshmen: 14. Numbers 80, 71, 62, 51, 87, 7, 34, 42, 49, 55, 18, 14, 27, and 90.
True Freshmen: 21: Numbers 73, 72, 61, 75, 12, 1, 81, 14, 32, 99, 53, 92, 90, 25, 13, 44, 26, 38, 5, 24, and 3.

TJ’s transfer cuts it to 86.

Fessler and Josh McP announced scholarships last spring; Franklin admitted that Davis is on one; and we all knew Smith earned one. Perhaps 1 of these scholarships only lasts through August, or 1 more transfer occurs to get to 85.
It really wasn't that long ago that we had only 40 - odd scholarship players available for games.

Yes, TJ looked like a great prospect in the B/W game..... Wish him the best.

I expect to see at least 6 CB's play this year.

Haley
Campbell
Oruwariye
Wade
Castro-Fields

There has been very scant talk about Zech McPhearson. Is he hurt? He was a highly recruited player, and I saw him display some talent in a H.S. AA game. Hope he can also step up this year, so that the other true freshmen CB's can redshirt - D.Johnson & DJ Brown.

I'm always surprised that people point to BW play as any sort of gauge.

Why, for many young players that is the first game "action" that fans have a chance to see them? Monroe also looked good in the B/W game, the first time he showed his skills to PSU fans. Are you surprised that he is battling for the starting Safety spot opposite Allen? I believe Givens did well in the 2016 B/W game, and then had a nice first year last Fall. Obviously not a 100% correlation, just like "stars". But I sure put more emphasis on playing, even in a scrimmage, than stars.....

Nobody has ever transferred due to a "lack of talent".

Lynch transferred for that exact reason. I'm not saying that Tj is transferring for that reason, but it's either be is buried on the depth chart by younger players, or something with grades etc.. Either way I wish him well

Reactions: Gitzit
It might be something we see a lot more of going forward. Franklin won't take a year off recruiting. The competition for the two deep, let alone a starting job, is going to be very very tough.

Probably why there is no incentive in Franklin's contract based on APR.

I may take some flack for this, but I hope we see more of these situations in the future. It means PSU is bringing in serious talent and the best players see the field regardless if they are true freshman or seniors.

Alabama goes through this every season. This is what happens when teams have alot of talent.

Why, for many young players that is the first game "action" that fans have a chance to see them? Monroe also looked good in the B/W game, the first time he showed his skills to PSU fans. Are you surprised that he is battling for the starting Safety spot opposite Allen? I believe Givens did well in the 2016 B/W game, and then had a nice first year last Fall. Obviously not a 100% correlation, just like "stars". But I sure put more emphasis on playing, even in a scrimmage, than stars.....

I get why it happens. And I'm not knocking the kid or any others that shine in the game. It just surprises me that people seem to give it much credence. It's a singular scrimmage, one snapshot in time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT