ADVERTISEMENT

TOM: PSU potential at nationals

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
Fun read about how big of a team score is possible if everything goes right.

Without all the injuries, I believe it would have happened this year. There's still a shot, but it obviously will be more difficult. If Jimmy catches fire and Suriano is able to go anywhere near 100%, I say it's a reasonable chance. If not this year, I think next (again, depending on health) year will be a very good opportunity.

Fun read, but don't believe they'll be close to 188 this year, nor the record 170. Too many good teams and good wrestlers. And too early to say anything about next year...except we'll be really good.

I'll be happy if we win, and I'll look forward to the record talk next year.

Also, I'm assuming we'd have some nice depth/redshirts next year to fill in for potential injuries such as Manville, AJ, Cutch/Cassar, Rasheed, Berge. Looking forward to seeing a healthy Cortez back.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
A great read. I don't care about the record ... just the win. Another NCAA banner would look great in Rec Hall.

Reactions: Grass
I'll be happy if we win, and I'll look forward to the record talk next year.

Also, I'm assuming we'd have some nice depth/redshirts next year to fill in for potential injuries such as Manville, AJ, Cutch/Cassar, Rasheed, Berge. Looking forward to seeing a healthy Cortez back.
Yeah, Nick's injury gives us little room for error.

If Nick has even a slightly disappointing NCAAs (compared to the high standard he set this year) and scores low AA points that would be nice insurance, but he could be really hurt and we could have a goose egg through 133. If healthy I had absolutely 0% concern as to his readiness for the big stage and was assuming 16+ points. Let's hope he recovers well.

I am damn glad Mark Hall is out of redshirt with enough matches to be a huge factor. If he had to be pulled frantically now, he'd be suffering his growing pains at Big 10s and the NCAAs without a chance to earn a good seed. As it stands, he should get a very good seed and be able to chase bonus in the early matches.

Iowa fans already automatically feel you're a troll when you try to talk wrestling. If we break their points record it will get ten times worse. They cling to that type of stuff like white sticks to rice....

Question: How many points did Geno Morelli score for Penn State at last years' Nationals?

Thx in advance.

Question: How many points did Geno Morelli score for Penn State at last years' Nationals?

Thx in advance.

1.5, I believe. He went W, L, W, L, so that would be 1 point in the winner's bracket and 0.5 points in the wrestlebacks.

1.5, I believe. He went W, L, W, L, so that would be 1 point in the winner's bracket and 0.5 points in the wrestlebacks.

Correct. 1.5.

Let's project him for an even 2 for this years' championships, if we may.

Now, remember, as many said, "We won't know the effect of the shirt, until after the championships"....;)

I put Hammond's fantasy 2016 points at 2.0. He also has a fantasy win over Dake.

And Morelli should have never qualified!

Probably not how Morelli's family felt. They were probably thrilled to watch him compete. Just saying.

We won with 123 last year with 2 1sts, 3 2nds a 6th and a lot of bonus. Does 123 win it this year or do you think we need more?

We won with 123 last year with 2 1sts, 3 2nds a 6th and a lot of bonus. Does 123 win it this year or do you think we need more?

I believe it does. Having watched PSU against all of the top contenders, every other team has a set of good wrestlers that win lots of close matches. Those types of wrestlers are typically the ones that don't live up to their seeds and this will hurt their point totals.

Everyone was thrilled: Geno did an amazing job all the way to R12 and nearly AA.
That isn't the point.
Everyone was thrilled: Geno did an amazing job all the way to R12 and nearly AA.
That isn't the point.

Sorry, I meant no disrespect, and my comment may have come across that way. What I was trying to say was: another wrestler, such as Hammond, may have scored an extra half point for the team. But either way, we still win the title going away. I'm all for having the best possible team at Nationals. But in looking back, I'm happy for Morelli, and his family that he had an opportunity to compete last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT