ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

What a pathetic situation for a kid who probably has almost no chance of playing pro football to be chasing a new school year after year rather than worrying about getting an education so that he can focus on his life's work.

He'll leave college with zero debt and a degree or 2. Why rush into the work force when he's got 2 years left?

Strange to call this pathetic.

He'll leave college with zero debt and a degree or 2. Why rush into the work force when he's got 2 years left?

Strange to call this pathetic.
Well, he probably could do that at Pitt, and also could've done it at PSU while being a member of a team that plays in a lot of big games in front of massive crowds. The pathetic part of it is bouncing from school to school year after year. I mean, he's already been at two schools and now is looking for a third, and he still has two years of eligibility left. Will he be looking at a fourth school next spring? I guess my main point is a player with his ability should be more concerned about enrolling in a school for its academics more than his status on a football team, because he's probably never going to be a pro qb at any level.

Reactions: psu00
Will he be looking at a fourth school next spring? I guess my main point is a player with his ability should be more concerned about enrolling in a school for its academics more than his status on a football team, because he's probably never going to be a pro qb at any level.

Maybe. It probably depends on where he goes and how it turns out.

99% of the players who go to college on scholarship won't ever be a pro. While I believe that they should ensure they leave with a useful degree, I don't see as how it matters if he chases playing time before his time expires. The market will dictate where he ends up.

Maybe. It probably depends on where he goes and how it turns out.

99% of the players who go to college on scholarship won't ever be a pro. While I believe that they should ensure they leave with a useful degree, I don't see as how it matters if he chases playing time before his time expires. The market will dictate where he ends up.
I don't disagree with you, but I just think that it's become a farsical situation. It also shows you how academics now play almost no role anymore, which is another sign that these players merely are de facto free agent independent contractors rather than students. It's obvious that most of these decisions are made with no thought about being an actual student. That's why I don't know why these football and basketball players even need to attend classes anymore.

I don't disagree with you. However, it just shows you how academics now play almost no role anymore, which is another sign that these players merely are de facto free agent independent contractors rather than students.
It is hard to imagine a player like this can get a proper education. Having said that, I've always been on record as saying that 80% of the useful education I got in college was not in the classroom.

It is hard to imagine a player like this can get a proper education. Having said that, I've always been on record as saying that 80% of the useful education I got in college was not in the classroom.
I learned more about the law in my summer Bar Exam review course and summer clerkships than I did in three years of law school, so I agree with you.

Reactions: Obliviax
Looks like Christian Veilleux is leaving Pitt.

Pretty clear what happened. Christian now knows he isn't going to play in the NFL and knows he has to focus on his education. After a year living in the Oakland Sewer he knows he can't get a decent education there plus he has to fear for his life everyday due to the soaring crime rate. Thus, he wants to move to a decent school to complete his education.

If he can go somewhere else why not - it's his life and his choice. I wish him the best. NIL and the transfer portal has opened up a lot of opportunities for these kids so why not take advantage of it - he has the next 40 years to slave away like the rest of us so more power to him - I am envious.

Well, he probably could do that at Pitt, and also could've done it at PSU while being a member of a team that plays in a lot of big games in front of massive crowds. The pathetic part of it is bouncing from school to school year after year. I mean, he's already been at two schools and now is looking for a third, and he still has two years of eligibility left. Will he be looking at a fourth school next spring? I guess my main point is a player with his ability should be more concerned about enrolling in a school for its academics more than his status on a football team, because he's probably never going to be a pro qb at any level.
Would he have been "processed" here at PSU to use an old but still applicable term. Stop doting over young adults.

If he can go somewhere else why not - it's his life and his choice. I wish him the best. NIL and the transfer portal has opened up a lot of opportunities for these kids so why not take advantage of it - he has the next 40 years to slave away like the rest of us so more power to him - I am envious.
Exactly. He wants to get real playing time somewhere before he gets on with his life’s work.

Why do all that work and never play? Why spend the rest of his life wondering what if?

Very few things in life replicate the thrill, the adrenaline rush, the exhilaration that sports can provide. It’s why even the greatest stay in long after their prime.

Hell, it’s why most of us, marginal high school players, are still addicted to college and pro sports. And every one of us would jump at the chance to be a starting player on a college team somewhere.

Would he have been "processed" here at PSU to use an old but still applicable term. Stop doting over young adults.
I'm going to be 57 years old this August; I don't dote over 18 to 22 year olds. I just made a social commentary about the current state of the transitory nature of college football and how academics don't matter one bit to a lot of the players who play it, which I accepted a long time ago. That's why I have no problem with what schools like OSU do to achieve their success.

I don't disagree with you, but I just think that it's become a farsical situation. It also shows you how academics now play almost no role anymore, which is another sign that these players merely are de facto free agent independent contractors rather than students. It's obvious that most of these decisions are made with no thought about being an actual student. That's why I don't know why these football and basketball players even need to attend classes anymore.
I was listening to Ohio State's spring game on the radio and they interviewed Gene Smith, who is retiring this year as their Athletic Director. He said maybe in 2025, but definitely by 2026 season, the NCAAOK will have set academic qualifications to go in the portal and transfer. Did not give details just affirmed it is coming because the portal is destabilizing.

Last edited:
I was listening to Ohio State's spring game on the radio and they interviewed Gene Smith, who is returning this year as their Athletic Director. He said maybe in 2025, but definitely by 2026 season, the NCAAOK will have set academic qualifications to go in the portal and transfer. Did not give details just affirmed it is coming because the portal is destabilizing.
sounds like a great idea but without a CBA not sure how that will survive a court challenge.

Another 4* in the portal. KId could have been a star. Narduzzi ruined him.

Needs to be realistic regarding his next stop.

You don't know if he is academically oriented or not. He wants to play football and after college still has a shot at the NFL or could go the Canadian league or the USFL. Just because he is transferring again does not mean he totally disregards academics. He is trying to get a degree but also maximize or optimize his football future.

He looked pretty good the one game he got start for us against Rutgers.
True and he might be able to work his way into a starting role on a P5 team, but why not go where you know you will start?

IIRC we won the one game he started for PSU. We might have beat Iowa with him instead of Roberson. I'm confident we would have beat Illinois with him instead of a hobbled Clifford.

Best of luck to him.
I don't recall, who has he ever beaten?

Wish him the best of luck though.

I believe he started against Rutgers
He did. Also, he played fairly well when he began to start ganes at Pitt last season, but then his performance declined dramatically the more he played and eventually was replaced as the starter for their last game. He definitely would be a decent backup for a Power 5 school, but probably is not cut out to be a starter at that level.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
He's following his dream to play college ball. What's wrong with that ?

Reactions: Obliviax
He's following his dream to play college ball. What's wrong with that ?
Nothing is wrong with that, and if that's what the individual wants to do, then good luck to him. It's just my opinion that it can reach an absurd state when an individual changes schools year after year after year, like JD Daniels did, who went from USC to UGA to WVU to Rice. I'm just surprised that he didn't play for two schools at once.

Last edited:
I learned more about the law in my summer Bar Exam review course and summer clerkships than I did in three years of law school, so I agree with you.
ain't that the truth. Nice thing about BAR/BRI was that it was geared for you to learn the law, not hide the ball.

I was listening to Ohio State's spring game on the radio and they interviewed Gene Smith, who is retiring this year as their Athletic Director. He said maybe in 2025, but definitely by 2026 season, the NCAAOK will have set academic qualifications to go in the portal and transfer. Did not give details just affirmed it is coming because the portal is destabilizing.

5-9 and 172 from Allen TX.

I think WRs are hard to rank. With most other positions, you look at their size. You can't teach someone to be 6-3 and 250. So you have all of these 5' something, under 200 lb kids. Even a good 40 doesn't mean much unless it is in the 4.3 range. So you bring a ton of kids in and hope one has the "it" factor like QBs.

I am surprised that there have not been more of the PSU WRs enter the portal.

Haven't seen it mentioned by the crew here, but on3 youtube show seems to think that the "NIL will cover scholarship money" idea is what's going to happen and that we don't necessarily have to cut guys to get to 85. They more or less expect guys to leave like Storm Duck did last year (a guy who didn't get the spot on the depth chart he expected) vs shedding young, unproductive players.

Haven't seen it mentioned by the crew here, but on3 youtube show seems to think that the "NIL will cover scholarship money" idea is what's going to happen and that we don't necessarily have to cut guys to get to 85. They more or less expect guys to leave like Storm Duck did last year (a guy who didn't get the spot on the depth chart he expected) vs shedding young, unproductive players.
What’s to stop a hot shot player that is getting a half million or more from telling the coach he will forgo his scholarship so the team can get extra players?

Could see a wealthy team like A$M having an extra dozen or so top players

What’s to stop a hot shot player that is getting a half million or more from telling the coach he will forgo his scholarship so the team can get extra players?

Could see a wealthy team like A$M having an extra dozen or so top players

Honestly, I have no clue. Again, I think teams could still struggle to keep kids because not everyone is interested in being the 7th string CB or the 11th OL to see snaps, if needed.

But if you are willing...maybe.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT