ADVERTISEMENT

U17 worlds

zzs006

Mar 27, 2017
Greco happening right now. These Raney brothers are straight up studs. 5 guys wrestled today and 4 went 0-1 and are eliminated. Jayden Raney at 55kg went 4-0 and is wrestling for gold. He went down 6-0 in the semis before getting double unders, forcing his opponent to his butt and then running a good old half for the fall. His brother Jordyn who I think is the better of the 2 wrestles tomorrow at 60kg. Both brothers competed at 60kg in freestyle at the trials with Jordyn winning the weight. In greco they went different weights and both won so Jordyn is wrestling both styles. They are absolutely fearless on the mat. Just get after it and put up a ton of points. Whoever gets them for college is going to be very happy. Kids are winners

Day 1 results

We also have a couple absolute hammers in the women’s division in Morgan Turner and Taina Fernandez. Turner won U17’s last year. Fernandez has pretty much won everything but this is her first time wrestling at worlds. This past year she won 3 college opens including Midlands as a high school freshman. Both these ladies are true phenoms and are going to make senior level teams in the near future. Piper Fowler is a rising senior and also was a U17 champ last year. Only 6 girls are competing because of the travel issues and safety concerns that came up right before they were supposed to leave.

Last edited:
Greco happening right now. These Raney brothers are straight up studs. 5 guys wrestled today and 4 went 0-1 and are eliminated. Jayden Raney at 55kg went 4-0 and is wrestling for gold. He went down 6-0 in the semis before getting double unders, forcing his opponent to his butt and then running a good old half for the fall. His brother Jordyn who I think is the better of the 2 wrestles tomorrow at 60kg. Both brothers competed at 60kg in freestyle at the trials with Jordyn winning the weight. In greco they went different weights and both won so Jordyn is wrestling both styles. They are absolutely fearless on the mat. Just get after it and put up a ton of points. Whoever gets them for college is going to be very happy. Kids are winners

Day 1 results

We also have a couple absolute hammers in the women’s division in Morgan Turner and Taina Fernandez. Turner won U17’s last year. Fernandez has pretty much won everything but this is her first time wrestling at worlds. This past year she won 3 college opens including Midlands as a high school freshman. Both these ladies are true phenoms and are going to make senior level teams in the near future. Piper Fowler is a rising senior and also was a U17 champ last year. Only 6 girls are competing because of the travel issues and safety concerns that came up right before they were supposed to leave.
Raney’s win! They are winning greco world titles and don’t even know greco. They hustle and tough as nail. I agree with this post, the Raney brothers know how to win. Illinois is getting two steals with these guys.

Taina could be the next Amit Elor. I see continuing to dominate and will eventually hit the scene exactly like Amit did. I heard her goal is to win Olympic and then get paid in the UFC! Then Win that title quick!

Are you saying the Raney's committed to Illinois?
They have trained at the Illinois RTC, but any commitment would be news to Google.

According to this article, they will be a package deal, thus will take campus visits to ensure schools are a fit for both.

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Jordyn is in the semifinals later this morning followed up by Jayden's finals match. These kids are insane. I have watched them get after it on the wrestling mats since they were 4 years old. Been a fun journey.
Watch the journey continue when they wrestle in Iowa City soon!😀

I read that Dreshaun Ross withdrew because of injury. Does anyone know what happened or how serious? I sure would’ve loved to see him at this tournament. His replacement, Elijah Diakomihalis is tough but Ross teched him in both matches at trials.

I read that Dreshaun Ross withdrew because of injury. Does anyone know what happened or how serious? I sure would’ve loved to see him at this tournament. His replacement, Elijah Diakomihalis is tough but Ross teched him in both matches at trials.

Dislocated his shoulder at Fargo. Will miss football season for sure, and at least some, if not all of wrestling season.

Last edited:
Reactions: zzs006
Dislocated his shoulder at Fargo. Will miss football season for sure, and at least some, if not all of wrestling season.
Wow. That’s a massive blow. It has to set him back in football and I assume it makes him question wanting to continue wrestling if he wants to play football in college

Wow. That’s a massive blow. It has to set him back in football and I assume it makes him question wanting to continue wrestling if he wants to play football in college
I may be thinking of someone else, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this was his first injury to that shoulder. I'm just thinking back to Ant Man and how he struggled with the shoulder over his career. Same with the Altons. Worse than a knee in many ways.

I may be thinking of someone else, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe this was his first injury to that shoulder. I'm just thinking back to Ant Man and how he struggled with the shoulder over his career. Same with the Altons. Worse than a knee in many ways.
And Robbie Howard. Shoulder injuries in wrestling are not good

That shoulder has been hurt since at least preseason nationals last years. It dislocated in his match against Kyle Oliveira who pinned him.

Could they have sent the second in line or maybe it was too late into it. Stinks for someone not to take the spot. Everyone members AB won his first world medal, after taking third at wtt. Got the call and took advantage of it

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Could they have sent the second in line or maybe it was too late into it. Stinks for someone not to take the spot. Everyone members AB won his first world medal, after taking third at wtt. Got the call and took advantage of it
There was an issue with flight restrictions into Jordan. The obvious instabilities, also airspaces were closed above several neighboring countries.

Most flights were canceled, including every flight USA Wrestling had booked. One week ago, USA Wrestling found ONE flight, $3500 out of Chicago. Plus however much time/money to get to O'Hare.

And as of a week ago, return flights had not been found. Because, well, planes weren't coming in.

Then there's a personal security concern once on the ground. Especially for the girls.

Plus the Amman organizers and venue have a poor reputation from other recent wrestling tourneys ...

It's a small miracle anybody went with these issues, a ahort-notice and incomplete re-plan, and the potential for an unplanned exit (if for no other reason, lack of available planes for a normal return).

60kg in men’s freestyle should be the weight to watch. It has the previously mentioned Adlan SAITIEV, Khateri from Iran, and Jordyn Raney. Saitiev is the nephew to all timers Buvaisar and Adam Saitiev. Khateri is a defending U17 world champion and many Iranians think he might be the next great one to come through their system. Raney just took 3rd in greco. He won trials in impressive fashion as well. He teched Dom Deputy in :38, Karson Brown in 1:17, Clinton Shepard in 1:56, and then beat his brother (55kg greco world champ) 2 straight (11-8 and 16-7) to make this team. I would put Raney behind these other 2 guys but he absolutely scraps and can beat anyone when he’s on. Hopefully we get to see these guys all match up throughout the tournament

Morgan Turner, Isabella Gonzales, and Taina Fernandez are all in the semis. All 3 girls won their 2 matches by a tech and a fall. Turner has Japan in the semis. Fernandez has KAZ and Gonzales has Canada. Manuel (69kg) lost to Japan first round and Japan lost to India in the quarterfinals so Manuel is out. Gusfa (40kg) lost to India in the quarterfinals so she has a chance to be pulled back in. Piper Fowler who was a U17 champ last year lost her repechage match today and went 1-2 in the tournament

Last edited:
Turner and Gonzales lost in the semis but Taina Fernandez won her semis with a fall in 1:35 and will wrestle for gold

60kg in men’s freestyle should be the weight to watch. It has the previously mentioned Adlan SAITIEV, Khateri from Iran, and Jordyn Raney. Saitiev is the nephew to all timers Buvaisar and Adam Saitiev. Khateri is a defending U17 world champion and many Iranians think he might be the next great one to come through their system. Raney just took 3rd in greco. He won trials in impressive fashion as well. He teched Dom Deputy in :38, Karson Brown in 1:17, Clinton Shepard in 1:56, and then beat his brother (55kg greco world champ) 2 straight (11-8 and 16-7) to make this team. I would put Raney behind these other 2 guys but he absolutely scraps and can beat anyone when he’s on. Hopefully we get to see these guys all match up throughout the tournament

You do know you're the greatest and best poster of all time, right?

Last edited:
These are great posts. Very appreciated. Raney is dangerous.
What are the chances the Raney brothers go straight greco. Them and Joel Adams. Possibly the USA could get something started finally in Greco.

No chance. They want to wrestle NCAAs.

NIL, getting a college degree is still a big deal.

Reactions: okcpokefan12

Freestyle brackets are up! Raney gets Saitiev first round. Khateri is on the opposite side

Melvin Miller should win his first 2 before he has a tough quarterfinal most likely against Wagin from Germany. He is U17 Euro champ and was 3rd at U17 worlds last year.

Starting their competition on Friday, and concluding Saturday are Sanchez (48 kg), Dillard (55 kg), Askew (65 kg), Sherlock (80 kg) and Mocco (110 kg). Starting their competition on Saturday and concluding on Sunday are Aslikyan (45 kg), Munaretto (51 kg), Raney (60 kg), Miller (71 kg) and Diakomihalis (92 kg).

Last edited:
All 5 guys who went today have made the quarterfinals! 4 of them went 2-0 and Sherlock only had 1 match to make the quarters. Great start

Reactions: Chris Watts
Not a great semi round. Only Mocco won. Aslikyan and Sherlock both lost to Iran. Dillard lost to KGZ while Joe Bachmann made the finals on the opposite side of the bracket. Mocco won by tech and will wrestle KAZ in the finals. Askew is out but the 3 who just lost will wrestle for bronze tomorrow

• Sad
Reactions: vhsalum
Not a great semi round. Only Mocco won. Aslikyan and Sherlock both lost to Iran. Dillard lost to KGZ while Joe Bachmann made the finals on the opposite side of the bracket. Mocco won by tech and will wrestle KAZ in the finals. Askew is out but the 3 who just lost will wrestle for bronze tomorrow
For completeness: the Bachmann brothers compete for Puerto Rico.

Taina Fernandez wins gold! She pinned her Japanese opponent in the final. She went 4-0 with 3 falls and a tech and was not scored on the entire tournament! Incredible.

Morgan Turner won bronze with a tech. She lost to Japan in the semis but went 3-1 with 2 falls and a tech

Isabella Gonzales went 2-2 and placed 5th

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT