ADVERTISEMENT

Undefeated Joe Paterno Teams??!!

Sorry but there are NO good explanations for those two losses. In both of NU's close games they at least won by two scores and Oklahoma was a huge rivalry game regardless of their ranking.! I'm not acting like a "teenage fanboy", I think both Nebraska and Penn St in '94 were amazing teams, full of future NFL talent and Hall of Fame Coaches..

This is the second or third time you have referred to these games as "losses". Just to remind you again, Penn State was undefeated - they did not have two losses. Beating Wyoming in Lincoln by 10 was pathetic yet NU was not penalized in the rankings and you haven't even tried to explain why Nebraska was struggling with a terrible Iowa State team and yet again was not penalized in the rankings. Final scores are often misleading - read once again about the PSU - Indiana game - so you shouldn't really use the final score as the rationale for a team's performance.

You originally asked why Penn State had multiple undefeated seasons (5) yet only 1 national championship for those undefeated seasons. Many on this board have explained to you the media bias against Penn State yet you don't want to accept that it was a factor in 1994 which benefited your beloved Cornhuskers.

The '94 PSU offense had five 1st team All-Americans on offense (QB, RB, WR, TE and OL) which was probably the one and only time in the modern football era that has happened. PSU could throw, the could run and they could pound you with two under-appreciated fullbacks who had fairly long NFL careers. They averaged over 47 points per game under a coach who was notorious for NOT running up the score. They were essentially unstoppable and a good but not great Nebraska team with a solid but not great defense was not going to outscore or stop them especially since NU wasn't used to playing teams with strong passing attacks.

We'll just have to agree to disagree but I think most knowledgeable, objective folks (who aren't Cornhusker fans) would agree which team - especially with hindsight given how successful many of these PSU players were in the NFL - would have prevailed.

Umm, we will let you claim '82 but not '94. We all know what happened in '82, including the PSU players. :D

Those match ups we had in the 80's were classics, some of my very favorite games. I wish the series had kept going.
Ok. Mr Messgeboard Troll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT