ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer on Administrative Leave

They better have proof or it becomes even worse.

What they have going for them is mouthpieces, again like political consultants, to throw out the balloons for them and confuse the issues in public. How many years are we past the Sandusky shit and some jackwangs still believe he was Joe’s best friend? The public is really dumb.

Guys like Galloway, Herbstreit, Hawk etc will go to any lengths to protect the interest of their university. They just need to confuse the public long enough to weather the ire of the mob for a week or so. Then the media cycle and their outrage will switch focus.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
They better have proof or it becomes even worse.

Even if they have "proof" it turns into victim blaming. Today's climate isn't going let that stand. She could be bat shit crazy but that doesn't matter if Zach Smith actually hit her. If they retain urban and there are actually photos and they get out after the fact it will turn into a ray rice situation.

We shouldn't forget that at PSU we were contending with a crooked governor and leadership in the BOT looking for favors and cover. The local media was "secured" and the rest was cruise control.
Meyer has none of those hurdles. It will be interesting to see where the whole truth lies.

Reactions: richmin3
Even if they have "proof" it turns into victim blaming. Today's climate isn't going let that stand. She could be bat shit crazy but that doesn't matter if Zach Smith actually hit her. If they retain urban and there are actually photos and they get out after the fact it will turn into a ray rice situation.

Granted that the victim bashing is sensitive. Now there is an alleged relative of the wife....speaking out against her and the photos are now being dated as circa 2010, with no one able to confirm or connect ZS. Again, just sharing what the other side is tossing around.
I think it is interesting that CS requested all files to be sealed, because she didn't want ZS "fired." She does not work (alimony and child support), now that he is fired, she shops her story. Just sayin.

Reactions: dailybuck777
None of that matters. If he had even a suspicion reported to him or heard he has to report or it’s a title IX violation.
It doesn’t matter .

Granted that the victim bashing is sensitive. Now there is an alleged relative of the wife....speaking out against her and the photos are now being dated as circa 2010, with no one able to confirm or connect ZS. Again, just sharing what the other side is tossing around.
I think it is interesting that CS requested all files to be sealed, because she didn't want ZS "fired." She does not work (alimony and child support), now that he is fired, she shops her story. Just sayin.

That's all well and good. Lots of victims don't want crimes reported for various reasons (monetary, saving marriage, save the kids, just want it to go away). Doesn't excuse people for sitting on their ass.

Reactions: fizzyskittles
The real test will be. Watching how much stress. That poor little weak heart of his can take. I get the money and ego and all that. But we shall see what he’s made of. Family man with kids. This is going to be a lot to shoulder.

Reactions: odshowtime
Don't shoot the messenger:
Urbs to receive a 3-4 game suspension. Both Zach and Courtney's problems are at least partially alcohol fueled. She has been stopped 3 times dui each time claiming she is being followed (Zach confirmed at practice). Shopped story to media for $. Called 911,66 time in 90 period.....they stopped responding. Wife came to OSU practices to start arguments with husband. Police are prepared to support the above............
Disclaimer: I have been following 11 Warriors to gauge the temperature. I am not alleging any credibility to any of this. What it does illustrate is there may be more to the story. No heroes here either.

Not surprised that a woman married to a man who violently abuses her might have a drinking problem. We're only talking about the abuse where the cops were involved. How many unreported instances were there where she just caught a quick slap, a shove or, threats of an ass beating if she didn't do what she was told. You think if he's in the mood to bust a nut, she gets to tell him; no thanks, I'm not in the mood. These women live in a pretty much a constant state of fear.

Ya know at least he is getting a fair shake unlike another legendary coach we all know. I can’t see this ending well no matter what- they release Urban the OSU donors and fan base freak, it admits guilt of an action and we have the whole PSU fiasco all over again. They retain him and say he didn’t do any wrong the public outcry will be massive and certainly not acceptable for the academia. They keep him and give him a 4 game suspension you’ll get a mix of those two outcomes, public outcry that he is still allowed to coach there but that will be admitting guilt all the while a possible NCAA investigation for Title IX.

No matter which way that buck nut falls it’s gonna be bad for OSU. Not to mention they still can go after his wife since she is an employee as well and a mandated reporter.

The entire staff knew about it, and if they had drunken confrontations at practice it doesn’t make the story better- in fact it makes it worse as the players and coaches were subjected to that hostile environment thus breaking federal laws on harrasment and work place violence . If she would interrupt practice like that and UM knew in 09 he should have fired his arse then and there.

Also Smith was fired without an investigation. Per the policy I posted earlier OSU went against protocol and didn’t give him any chance to tell his story. If I was Smith I would be getting my lawyers ready for an unlawful firing suit and my bank account ready for a great payday

Either the university takes a black eye or UM does.

There isn’t a way that everyone goes unscathed. There are text messages that show all the wives were privy to this info.

They want to play the wife and him had alcohol fueled issues that’s a bad play honestly- it has OSU admitting the staff knew there were domestic issues which interrupted practice on campus. They are victim blaming at that point as well. Did they offer help to the Smiths such as any employee assistance program counseling etc?
They play the angle that they are both at blame there is huge fallout. Victim advocacy groups have a field day - PR nightmare if ya ask me. They basically admit they knew and until the story broke did nothing to stop it.

The burden is on OSU to show proof NO-ONE
knew

There’s no good answer for them- up the creek

If UM knew use the contract language and fire him for breach of contract. While they are at it they need to fire Gene Smith as he has been on watch with Tressel and UM issues- both go and OSU saves face and gets another top 10 coach next season. THEY KEEP him they suffer public outcry for a season and possibly longer and eventually another school will upset people about something and it will be mentioned but “forgiven”.

Best outcome for all parties involved would be public apologizing to the ex mrs Smith for their lack of oversight on their home situation. They suspend UM for the entire season without pay. He comes back next year “a new man” and recruiting classes stay intact the school made a stand against domestic violence and everything back to normal in one year. Hell with that roster any coach out there would get 8 or 9 wins with them based on talent and depth alone.

Either way I feel bad for the players their season is starting and they have to play through this. I’m sure the players at PSU when all of it went down don’t wish that feeling on any of their equals at other universities

UM poached uncommitted recruits but he didn’t try to shot fish in a barrel when it was a free for all on our roster, he never said anything against joe and he showed respect to the players that stayed.

If he gets fired it’s the way things go with being in such a prestigious position comes greater scrutiny and greater responsibility. If they can do a real investigation and prove he didn’t know then I have no problem him staying. I think it makes us and the BIG East better with UM at OSU helm.

SOL on this one OSU- something breaks here most likely

Not surprised that a woman married to a man who violently abuses her might have a drinking problem. We're only talking about the abuse where the cops were involved. How many unreported instances were there where she just caught a quick slap, a shove or, threats of an ass beating if she didn't do what she was told. You think if he's in the mood to bust a nut, she gets to tell him; no thanks, I'm not in the mood. These women live in a pretty much a constant state of fear.

Spot on

Ya know at least he is getting a fair shake unlike another legendary coach we all know. I can’t see this ending well no matter what- they release Urban the OSU donors and fan base freak, it admits guilt of an action and we have the whole PSU fiasco all over again. They retain him and say he didn’t do any wrong the public outcry will be massive and certainly not acceptable for the academia. They keep him and give him a 4 game suspension you’ll get a mix of those two outcomes, public outcry that he is still allowed to coach there but that will be admitting guilt all the while a possible NCAA investigation for Title IX.

No matter which way that buck nut falls it’s gonna be bad for OSU. Not to mention they still can go after his wife since she is an employee as well and a mandated reporter.

The entire staff knew about it, and if they had drunken confrontations at practice it doesn’t make the story better- in fact it makes it worse as the players and coaches were subjected to that hostile environment thus breaking federal laws on harrasment and work place violence . If she would interrupt practice like that and UM knew in 09 he should have fired his arse then and there.

Also Smith was fired without an investigation. Per the policy I posted earlier OSU went against protocol and didn’t give him any chance to tell his story. If I was Smith I would be getting my lawyers ready for an unlawful firing suit and my bank account ready for a great payday

There isn’t a way that everyone goes unscathed. There are text messages that show all the wives were privy to this info.

They want to play the wife and him had alcohol fueled issues that’s a bad play honestly- it has OSU admitting the staff knew there were domestic issues which interrupted practice on campus. They are victim blaming at that point as well. Did they offer help to the Smiths such as any employee assistance program counseling etc?
They play the angle that they are both at blame there is huge fallout. Victim advocacy groups have a field day - PR nightmare if ya ask me. They basically admit they knew and until the story broke did nothing to stop it.

knew

If UM knew use the contract language and fire him for breach of contract. While they are at it they need to fire Gene Smith as he has been on watch with Tressel and UM issues- both go and OSU saves face and gets another top 10 coach next season. THEY KEEP him they suffer public outcry for a season and possibly longer and eventually another school will upset people about something and it will be mentioned but “forgiven”.

Best outcome for all parties involved would be public apologizing to the ex mrs Smith for their lack of oversight on their home situation. They suspend UM for the entire season without pay. He comes back next year “a new man” and recruiting classes stay intact the school made a stand against domestic violence and everything back to normal in one year. Hell with that roster any coach out there would get 8 or 9 wins with them based on talent and depth alone.

Either way I feel bad for the players their season is starting and they have to play through this. I’m sure the players at PSU when all of it went down don’t wish that feeling on any of their equals at other universities

UM poached uncommitted recruits but he didn’t try to shot fish in a barrel when it was a free for all on our roster, he never said anything against joe and he showed respect to the players that stayed.

If he gets fired it’s the way things go with being in such a prestigious position comes greater scrutiny and greater responsibility. If they can do a real investigation and prove he didn’t know then I have no problem him staying. I think it makes us and the BIG East better with UM at OSU helm.

Good analysis. I don’t see a scenario where he doesn’t get fired (and relatively soon) due to the strong evidence that he knew (then lied), seemingly clear Title IX issues, and massive outcry from the media and campus/academic community if he does not. It’d take some amazing maneuvering by OSU or as of yet unknown facts to create an alternative to firing him IMO. A one year suspension is interesting but I don’t think that will cut it in today’s climate.

“Independent Panel” who are either OSU trustees or have ties to the University.

giphy.gif

Haha, from a VT fan. Haven’t heard much of this previously.

agoddamnlegend 1 point an hour ago

Meyer isn’t the police. His job is to coach football. Let the criminal justice system handle crimes. And the police were clearly knowledgeable of the situation so it wasn’t a secret

Reactions: NedFromYork
I don’t see a one year suspension as an option that would ever even begin to be discussed by anyone at tOSU.

No way.....no how. Not from the President, not from the BOT, not from the AD. And certainly not from UM.

Good analysis. I don’t see a scenario where he doesn’t get fired (and relatively soon) due to the strong evidence that he knew (then lied), seemingly clear Title IX issues, and massive outcry from the media and campus/academic community if he does not. It’d take some amazing maneuvering by OSU or as of yet unknown facts to create an alternative to firing him IMO. A one year suspension is interesting but I don’t think that will cut it in today’s climate.
My first thought was that he would get nothing. Then I thought he would get fired. But now I think he will get a slap on the wrist. The administrative leave was a test balloon and a way to get extra time. The news will cycle through with nothing being done by OSU, then they will ease him back with a three game suspension (in time to get back for the PSU game). The media is not all over him like they were Joe and that’s what OSU wanted.

knew

They could make it all right by giving Myer's yearly salary (while he's under suspension) to the abused wife. An argument could be made that this would be a fair and just punishment for coach Myer's lack of candor and his non action in this situation.

Some good stuff from The Onion.....

"“We’re taking this investigation seriously, which is why Urban Meyer is being asked to stay away from the university in any professional capacity except developing game plans, making roster decisions, and otherwise overseeing every aspect of the football team through clandestine back channels,” said Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith, adding that Meyer agreed that training camp would be better served if he pretended to stay away from the team during the inquiry.

https://www.theonion.com/ohio-state-puts-urban-meyer-on-paid-secret-coaching-lea-1828059245

My first thought was that he would get nothing. Then I thought he would get fired. But now I think he will get a slap on the wrist. The administrative leave was a test balloon and a way to get extra time. The news will cycle through with nothing being done by OSU, then they will ease him back with a three game suspension (in time to get back for the PSU game). The media is not all over him like they were Joe and that’s what OSU wanted.
I wouldn't be shocked. Putting him on admin leave and getting the facts versus firing him and blaming him is the exact opposite of how PSU handled the situation. The thing is he lied right up front and didn't hesitate to do it...in fact he was emphatic about it. Kind of tells you what you're dealing with there in Meyer, but he'll be coaching again.

You will see him on the sideline - with his headset on - in Happy Valley in just a few weeks.

:)

It wouldn’t surprise me.

Tressel knew about tattoos- gets fired and is given a show cause for coaching again

JoePA told by 3rd party about incident reports to his superiors (proper chain of command at that time mind you) he gets fired and vilified.

UM knows about a wife beater on not one but TWO of his staffs , gets OSU to hire him on even after Gator country. Doesn’t say anything until the public finds out , knee jerk reaction fire smith without proper investigation just off “first time hearing this in media reports” lies about not knowing , gets called out for knowing , OSU keeps him on staff and does an “investigation”. If they didn’t know anything about this until they fired him why wouldn’t they have done an investigation on smith? As soon as it broke he gets fired. It breaks that UM knows about such events and OSU shuts down to media, gives Urban a vacation month, then has fans and OSU related websites say well the victim was a drunk and it was her fault for making him do it. So even though we are just hearing about this we really aren’t because she was a drunk and she would interrupt practices etc. OSU people using the she was a drunk and interrupted practice don’t realize that’s admitting UM knew- unless UM wasn’t ever at practice.
Likely outcome- coaching against PSU

Out of the three actions taken only one actually told the truth and reported what he was told. The other 2’had first hand knowledge not an account by a 3rd party.

As I said before if he does coach it wouldn’t surprise me - and to a degree I hope he gets treated better than Joe did, however if he truly knew and nothing was done about it then that’s wrong - not illegal just wrong on a moral front, leadership front, human being front, father front. If that coach was married to one of his children and he heard about what happened that guy wouldn’t be coaching and probably wouldn’t be allowed near UM daughter.

So I guess come PSU game day we will see his refreshed and happy smiling face on the sidelines (most likely)

It wouldn’t surprise me.

Tressel knew about tattoos- gets fired and is given a show cause for coaching again

JoePA told by 3rd party about incident reports to his superiors (proper chain of command at that time mind you) he gets fired and vilified.

UM knows about a wife beater on not one but TWO of his staffs , gets OSU to hire him on even after Gator country. Doesn’t say anything until the public finds out , knee jerk reaction fire smith without proper investigation just off “first time hearing this in media reports” lies about not knowing , gets called out for knowing , OSU keeps him on staff and does an “investigation”. If they didn’t know anything about this until they fired him why wouldn’t they have done an investigation on smith? As soon as it broke he gets fired. It breaks that UM knows about such events and OSU shuts down to media, gives Urban a vacation month, then has fans and OSU related websites say well the victim was a drunk and it was her fault for making him do it. So even though we are just hearing about this we really aren’t because she was a drunk and she would interrupt practices etc. OSU people using the she was a drunk and interrupted practice don’t realize that’s admitting UM knew- unless UM wasn’t ever at practice.
Likely outcome- coaching against PSU

Out of the three actions taken only one actually told the truth and reported what he was told. The other 2’had first hand knowledge not an account by a 3rd party.

As I said before if he does coach it wouldn’t surprise me - and to a degree I hope he gets treated better than Joe did, however if he truly knew and nothing was done about it then that’s wrong - not illegal just wrong on a moral front, leadership front, human being front, father front. If that coach was married to one of his children and he heard about what happened that guy wouldn’t be coaching and probably wouldn’t be allowed near UM daughter.

So I guess come PSU game day we will see his refreshed and happy smiling face on the sidelines (most likely)
Tressel got fired, but if I recall he was suspended first and they even increased his suspension at least one more time as more info kept coming out. I don’t think OSU had any plans to fire him until the evidence kept piling up and he was buried in it and it made the university look bad. So unless info keeps pouring out, Urbs will be coaching again before Penn State. And if he is and the suspension ends a week or two before Penn State, then it’s obvious OSU really only cares about winning football games because that would be too coincidental.

Not sure about that. The Dispatch has said this on today's editorial page.

But there are only a handful of likely scenarios, and one of them is that if Urban Meyer knew about abusive behavior by one of his assistants and did not address it, the university will be obligated to hold Meyer to the same standard to which he has held his players and show him the door.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT