ADVERTISEMENT

US Open

Ashnault had to sweat one out against Graham Rooks (Indiana, 1x NQ), winning only 8-5.

Fish also beat Facundo at the Southern Scuffle. I know, I know, Folk vs Free. Still, it's a data point worth noting.

I’d put a healthy wager on Facundo winning that rematch handily now.

Facundo tweaked something, stoppage.

Back to center, Facundo with a nice sweep single to double for 4. Big first step and long arms = easy ankles.

In on another, Hepner gets penalized for what looks like a figure 4. 5-0 at the break.

Haines didn't look outmatched by Munro, but he lost every close exchange and got tech'd 10-0.

Facundo wins 11-0.

Haines loses on some seriously strange calls, 10. A foot sweep for 4 that didn’t appear to be exposure at all. A penalty point for fingers. And a push out that looked to be on the line.

Levi gets teched by a guy named Kamdyn Munro?
thought that had to be a bracket mistake but clicked on the video and wow. bizarre looking match.

did howard get hurt? only saw the highlight on flo and he looked awful on that last shot and basically gave up on the last two guts. hope he didn’t tweak that shoulder.

Not overly worried about free results tbh. Guys like Levi/Van Ness are documented to be way better at folk. It's definitely good to be wrestling free in the offseason but Max Dean got teched by Chris Foca last year at 86KG in free. Foca went 1-2 at 174 this year and Dean won 197.

I just like to see guys like Facundo getting to their offense and finishing well.

Which, it turns out, Facundo is. He’s looked great so far. The guy he just teched was tOSU’s 157 starter who was 12-6 last year.

Reactions: hlstone and 1AA
Candidly, we won't learn much about Alex this week. It's documented he can dominate overmatched opponents at this point. His issue is wrestling NQ level guys at 165, which he struggled getting to his offense for.

NLWC's Josh Rodriguez up on Daniel DeShazer at the break, 1-0 on a shot clock point. Both wrestlers are merely pushing each other.

DeShazer ahead midway through the second off his own, entirely predictable shot clock point. Wouldn't be surprised to see more shot clock action here.

Now it's 2-2, with DeShazer running Rodriguez out of bounds and straight through a table that wasn't even the scorer's table.

Rodriguez gets two off a nice single and TD going out of bounds. DeShazer with a step out point but it's not enough and it'll end 4-3 Rodriguez.

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
DeShazer’s inseam must be like 24”.

Also, this looks like a Greco match.

Nico is up 8-0 against Brandon Wright, most of that via a lace. He's looked good so far but hasn't really wrestled anyone on his level. Now it's 8-2, giving up an exposure.

Reactions: diggerpup
Facundo looks very good. Beats Nicco Ruiz 8-1. Ruiz is tough but he didn’t do anything in that match.
Chittum gets beat 12-3 by Tagen Jamison. Didn’t see that coming

Reactions: WEAREPSU_LI
Points in Dieringer Cenzo:
1 Cenzo shot clock
4 Ringer fireman's carry
1 Ringer step out
2 Cenzo high-c
1 Ringer step out
4 Cenzo lat drop going OOB. Ringer was driving on a shot with about :25 remaining.

Cenzo wasn't giving Ringer any distance throughout the match, he was happy to tie up and get close. This wasn't Cenzo stealing a match he didn't deserve to win, he was in it the whole time.

Should mention that Mark Hall won too, but 86kg (and above) aren't that imposing this tournament. 79kg is stacked.

Reactions: diggerpup
I don't know if they're going to go straight into the semis. There are a ton of consi matches to get through still, so maybe they do some of those first. Finals are tomorrow.

Open results are always a little wonky, especially with trials for U20 so soon after. Wouldn’t overreact to Haines or Howard losses

Semis are at 6 Vegas time I'm fairly certain. Consis at 4.
When VJ rolled Ringer with that overhook it sure quieted his fans that were right close. That was a hell of a win for him.

Reactions: danoftw
Facundo wins 11-0.

Haines loses on some seriously strange calls, 10. A foot sweep for 4 that didn’t appear to be exposure at all. A penalty point for fingers. And a push out that looked to be on the line.
It was exposure. Levi went from his feet to back but it's also 0 points in folk seeing how Levi rolled and they were right back in neutral. Just another example of why free results can be wonky.

Reactions: 1AA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT