ADVERTISEMENT

Very early Iowa vs Penn State predictions

That being said, Iowa fans could raise needed money very quickly from their fanbase.

They'd need to find about $140k to keep all 6 of them on 50% ride as non-residents. If they can't find that for a strong national title contender, then the Inner Circle is all talk.

If I were Brands, I'd be looking into HWC making a sizeable donation to Iowa Wrestling to cover their scholarships for next year, since most/all 6 would be HWC next year anyway.

This is only true on paper. In reality if between those 6 they are paying $140K in tuition the school makes money because the marginal cost of having 6 additional students to a school the size of Iowa is way less than $140K.

The lot lizard business has taken a shot on the chin this past year, what with the mask laws and 6‘ restrictions.

cover10.jpg

The guys over at HR have them winning the dual by 10-15 points, and walking away with the national championship by 30.

We haven't had so many freshman wrestling since 2015/2016 and we see how that worked out for everyone.

I think we stack up very well today let alone after some of our new kids scare the crap out of the rest of the country particularly Carter, Beau and Kirk.

Likewise there are kids form Okie St, Cornell and Michigan in particular that could throw a monkey wrench into the quarters, semis or finals.

Unfortunately, above all it may come down to Covid, with the top 3 team that enters the tourney with a full squad, the one that takes home the trophy. :-/

what's crazy is next year with everyone coming back, the new kids one year older, and a vaccine eliminating the CV factor hopefully. Somone will have the chance to repeat with the very same team.

Last edited:
The guys over at HR have them winning the dual by 10-15 points, and walking away with the national championship by 30.

We haven't had so many freshman wrestling since 2015/2016 and we see how that worked out for everyone.

I think we stack up very well today let alone after some of our new kids scare the crap out of the rest of the country particular Carter, Beau and Kirk.

Likewise there are kids form Okie St, Cornell and Michigan in particular that could throw a monkey wrench into the quarters, semis or finals.

Unfortunately, above all it may come down to Covid, with the top 3 team that enters the tourney with a full squad, the one that takes home the trophy. :-/

what's crazy is next year with everyone coming back, the new kids one year older, and a vaccine eliminating the CV factor hopefully. Somone will have the chance to repeat with the very same team.
The fact that we/most wrestling fans are even giving CStar a chance against a seasoned vet like Kem Dawg is kinda scary. We’ve got a real gem.

The bigger issue for Iowa is scholarships. Lee, Desanto, Eirman, Young, Marinelli, Kemerer all seniors who will effect their ability to go after top recruits. Plus recruits already there or coming next year. We will see how they can juggle the scholarships next year.
Fortunately, PSU does not have that problem!
I would think that should be the opposite.
PSU has lots of very freshman eligible who will start.
IMO, both schools will continue to get recruits from at or near the top, because their teams are at or near the top.
e.g. every year Ohio State football loses a ton of really good players to the nfl draft, and guess what, they are a really good team the next year.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye

I think we stack up very well today let alone after some of our new kids scare the crap out of the rest of the country particular Carter, Beau and Kirk.

Will Kemerer want to come back to Iowa for an 7th year and face a one year older Starocci? At some point, don't you want to move on with life? Although he probably will have an opportunity for one of those unbreakable records. Who else in history would be able to say they wrestled in the PA State Finals and the NCAA finals 10 years apart? Now that one would be hard to beat!
giphy.gif

Reactions: PASLP2
Based on folk results Iowa has to be a big favorite. Based on potential there are a whole bunch of toss-ups.

Until Howard, Carter S, J Lee, Beard and Kerk actually get on the mat, until we know who goes at 149 and until Berge shows a return to form, I've got to give Iowa the edge at all 7 of those weights.

Don't get me wrong, deep down I feel Kerk is a solid favorite at 285, while 149, 157. 174 and 197 are toss-ups, along with 133 and 141.

Until I see more, here's what I've got
125 Iowa
133 Toss-up
141 Toss-up
149 Toss-up
157 Toss-up
165 Iowa
174 Iowa
184 PSU
197 Toss-up
285 PSU
Pretty fair assessment though I would give Warner the slight advantage simply because of experience.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
How does this line-up do against Iowa?
125—RBY--- at NLC event he weigh in at 135 SCRATCH WEIGHT, could he hold for short season??
133- Howard----really not sure yet how tough this weight is this year
141—Bartlett---
149—N.Lee---wrestles 65 for freestyle—needs to add some size and cut to 65kg?
157—Berge—
165--- Manville or J.Lee---this may surprise you. I think Manville is better, Manville better match-up with the Bull???
174 Carter
184—Brooks
197—Beard
HWT--- Kerklivet

How does this line-up do against Iowa?
125—RBY--- at NLC event he weigh in at 135 SCRATCH WEIGHT, could he hold for short season??
133- Howard----really not sure yet how tough this weight is this year
141—Bartlett---
149—N.Lee---wrestles 65 for freestyle—needs to add some size and cut to 65kg?
157—Berge—
165--- Manville or J.Lee---this may surprise you. I think Manville is better, Manville better match-up with the Bull???
174 Carter
184—Brooks
197—Beard
HWT--- Kerklivet
125—RBY--- at NLC event he weigh in at 135 SCRATCH WEIGHT, could he hold for short season?? So he probably finishes 2nd? Howard could top 6 at 125.
133- Howard----really not sure yet how tough this weight is this year Tougher than 125. Howard struggles to AA at 133.
141—Bartlett--- Could finish 4-8 here at best. Nick Lee wins IMHO.
149—N.Lee---wrestles 65 for freestyle—needs to add some size and cut to 65kg? Lee could win here too. and BB could finish 4-8. I'd default to letting Nick call his shot.
157—Berge—
165--- Manville or J.Lee---this may surprise you. I think Manville is better, Manville better match-up with the Bull??? I don't think we are trying to match up with the Bull. I think we are looking at placing at the Show. I think Lee gives us the best AA chance, but Manville is a seasoned, solid performer. I think whomever goes here is looking at the 6-8 spot at the high end. There's a lot of quality at 165.
174 Carter
184—Brooks
197—Beard
HWT--- Kerklivet

I love the different spin on a possible line-up! What else is there to do except speculate until we get to watch some wrestling...

The fact that we/most wrestling fans are even giving CStar a chance against a seasoned vet like Kem Dawg is kinda scary. We’ve got a real gem.
I think I four years we will realize our lineup is full of gems. We are stacked for years to come and I don't care what anyone says we're winning nationals. Iowa will choke again and I see two or three of their wrestlers not wrestling to seed. The thing about hr homers is they always see pie in the sky and put forth the best case scenario even though it has never happened for them lmfao. Gotta give them credit they are persistently optimistic oh wait I meant delusional lol

• Haha
Reactions: PABulldogs
Not speculating on the dual (ofc I pick PSU), but it will be interesting to see which coaches do the best job preparing their teams for this shortened season. Risks of losing matches to Covid aside, this season is different in training when to peak, lack of regular season tournaments etc. I just hope everyone gets reaches the end with their full teams.

Reactions: nitlion6
Not speculating on the dual (ofc I pick PSU), but it will be interesting to see which coaches do the best job preparing their teams for this shortened season. Risks of losing matches to Covid aside, this season is different in training when to peak, lack of regular season tournaments etc. I just hope everyone gets reaches the end with their full teams.
Good point! We may not peak until Saturday night in St Louis, as opposed to Friday night.
giphy.gif

125—RBY--- at NLC event he weigh in at 135 SCRATCH WEIGHT, could he hold for short season?? So he probably finishes 2nd? Howard could top 6 at 125.
133- Howard----really not sure yet how tough this weight is this year Tougher than 125. Howard struggles to AA at 133.
141—Bartlett--- Could finish 4-8 here at best. Nick Lee wins IMHO.
149—N.Lee---wrestles 65 for freestyle—needs to add some size and cut to 65kg? Lee could win here too. and BB could finish 4-8. I'd default to letting Nick call his shot.
157—Berge—
165--- Manville or J.Lee---this may surprise you. I think Manville is better, Manville better match-up with the Bull??? I don't think we are trying to match up with the Bull. I think we are looking at placing at the Show. I think Lee gives us the best AA chance, but Manville is a seasoned, solid performer. I think whomever goes here is looking at the 6-8 spot at the high end. There's a lot of quality at 165.
174 Carter
184—Brooks
197—Beard
HWT--- Kerklivet

I love the different spin on a possible line-up! What else is there to do except speculate until we get to watch some wrestling...
Good points Bordo, but I dont THINK MM is at 165 anymore.

Also I do think RBY could GET to 125, (bet we see him at 57 if he’s qualified) But I dont think he’d be thrilled about HOLDING 125.

Robbie giving up 3 or 4 instead of 5 or 6 would be huge. This dual is gonna be decided by bonus here or there.

Also I do think RBY could GET to 125, (bet we see him at 57 if he’s qualified) But I dont think he’d be thrilled about HOLDING 125.

Not according to PSU's Official Roster - they have him Certed at 165 and 174.

Reactions: tabenn

In any event, I'll trust that Cael & Co. will use our best option at 165.

Not according to PSU's Official Roster - they have him Certed at 165 and 174.

The online roster isnt a certification weight.

Heck in years past it's been horribly updated.

That being said your point remains.

Iowa cut four sports in August. It could be a bigger obstacle than one would think to fund extra scholarships. I am so glad PSU has not had to go that route (yet at least).
Not all sports are treated the same by an Athletic Department. I think Iowa would find the extra cash for a national championship contender in wrestling. Since the wrestlers are generally on partial scholarships, they themselves might be willing to spend some extra money to continue their college career. Always the possibility that some are now Iowa residents to reduce their out of pocket expenses.

When he claims knee injury again he needs to remember to limp off the mat.

This match is going to be close as hell. If Desanto doesn't have a legitimate injury, he won't need to fake a limp, Brands will give him a real one, center mat. Hell that could be the best match of the night Hawk vs Hawk.

Reactions: 82bordeaux
Will Kemerer want to come back to Iowa for an 7th year and face a one year older Starocci? At some point, don't you want to move on with life? Although he probably will have an opportunity for one of those unbreakable records. Who else in history would be able to say they wrestled in the PA State Finals and the NCAA finals 10 years apart? Now that one would be hard to beat!
giphy.gif

Kemerer is a very good student. He graduated in 4 years and will be in his 4th semester of graduate school. He is also a very high character guy (as I am sure many of you know as he is a Pennsylvania guy).

This is a very tight group at Iowa. I know almost all of the Hawkeye seniors have said they are coming back next year (not sure about Young). The PSU-Iowa battle should be great the next two years (maybe slightly less so if Kerk can’t go this year). I would have to give Iowa the advantage this year. Next year will be a dogfight. Your group of super freshman will be a nightmare for everybody over the next 5 years though.

Hopefully Kerk is healthy and rumors aren’t true. If he did get hurt and needed surgery, I hope he has a quick and healthy recovery. He is one of the few great athletic heavies that are fun to watch. Hope everybody stays healthy and we get to enjoy some great wrestling and great rivalries in the years to come.

I can't help but think of the Olympic skater Eric Heiden flying around the rink with the speed skaters technique of one arm behind their back every time RBY wrestles Desanto.

Jachawk87, I like your post, you stated that you were not sure if Young was coming back next year. I don't think he has any choice in the matter. He joined the Firm.
👰💒

I can't help but think of the Olympic skater Eric Heiden flying around the rink with the speed skaters technique of one arm behind their back every time RBY wrestles Desanto.

Jachawk87, I like your post, you stated that you were not sure if Young was coming back next year. I don't think he has any choice in the matter. He joined the Firm.
👰💒
FIFY
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
After watching Iowa wrestle Nebraska tonight here are my predictions. How do you see it?

125 - Iowa fall. 0-6
133 - PS decision. 3-6
141 - PS decision 6-6
149 - PS decision. 9-6
157 - PS decision 12-6 (if Berge)
165 - Iowa decision. 12-9
174 - PS maj decision 16-9
184- PS fall. 22-9
197 - PS decision. 25-9
Hvy- PS decision. 28-9

You - and your predictions - remind me of some of the Iowa guys on the Hawkeye board, especially back when PSU was ruling the wrestling world. They, like you, would create some dream scenario where Iowa would win by a landslide. I love the competition and the love for your team, and I even think PSU has a chance of winning this dual. But 28-9? And you think the #1 guy at 74, who went 1-1 with Hall last year, is going to be MAJ'd by the very worthy freshman? And you think you'll get a fall at 84? Again, you remind me of some of my Iowa brethren...dreamers. :) Just the same, I look forward to the dual...it should be excellent! :)

Based on folk results Iowa has to be a big favorite. Based on potential there are a whole bunch of toss-ups.

Until Howard, Carter S, J Lee, Beard and Kerk actually get on the mat, until we know who goes at 149 and until Berge shows a return to form, I've got to give Iowa the edge at all 7 of those weights.

Don't get me wrong, deep down I feel Kerk is a solid favorite at 285, while 149, 157. 174 and 197 are toss-ups, along with 133 and 141.

Until I see more, here's what I've got
125 Iowa
133 Toss-up
141 Toss-up
149 Toss-up
157 Toss-up
165 Iowa
174 Iowa
184 PSU
197 Toss-up
285 PSU

I see it about the same as you see it. Like you, I see a lot of tossups, but I think PSU has a very good chance in all of them. Like you, I need to see what Iowa looks like against the top tier - or equal - competition at 33, 41, 49, 57 and 97. Should be a good dual.

I am only focused on NCAA's, and to give our guys a boost, after I win the Powerball I am going to donate $1 million to the HWC and demand a meet and greet with the team 2days prior to NCAA's and then test positive and they will all have to quarantine during it, then I will donate $10 million to the NLWC. Worth it. Just kidding of course.

👰💒

Good point!! Seriously though, Young is also a very good student. I think he is pursuing a post graduate career in the field of medicine. Although the Hawks had a wrestler attending medical school while starting for Iowa a few years back (Vinnie Wagner), it probably isn’t a wise use of your time if your future doesn’t center around wrestling. Alex Meyer is in med school now, but gave up competitive wrestling when he started med school.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Kaleb Young looked pretty damn good tonight. Transitive property I know doesn't work but he beat a guy 17-5 that Brayton Lee beat 10-5 a week before. I'm fine with saying he should be considered a favorite over Brady right now until we see how he looks in a folk match. Similarly, we don't know who our 149 even is at this point and unless it's Nick, I'm also fine with giving the nod to Max over any of Beau, Bearclaw, Verk right now.

That being said, it really doesn't matter if Iowa is a favorite in the dual or if they even beat us. All about peaking for the big tournament which is a whole other animal this year since the season really is only 2 months long.

Sadly, the problem with Kaleb Young in the past is that he looked really solid one match and then for some reason was flat the next. I'm hopeful the Kaleb who peaked 2 years ago at NCAAs is back.

Good point!! Seriously though, Young is also a very good student. I think he is pursuing a post graduate career in the field of medicine. Although the Hawks had a wrestler attending medical school while starting for Iowa a few years back (Vinnie Wagner), it probably isn’t a wise use of your time if your future doesn’t center around wrestling. Alex Meyer is in med school now, but gave up competitive wrestling when he started med school.
Isn't Gambrall a doctor also? A very academic wrestling room.

Reactions: Jackhawk87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT