ADVERTISEMENT

We all get it! Moorhead's O gets 99 pts/game! However,

My expectation for this team from the start of thevseason was 10-2 with loss to either OSU, Northwestern or Iowa. Unfortunately, the 2nd loss was within our division. I'm was never a believer that the RPO is an offense that can consistently run the ball as needed in this division and conference to keep us on top. Teams have figured out the achilles heal. The OL is still a work in progress, with no real useable depth beyond six players. Additionally, #88's blocking has been very dissappointing. When Bates went down and with Wright still hobbled, the options were limited. The two most experienced DEs are out and those remaing are either undersized or less experienced. All I would like to see is some 2 back sets and more utilization of outside runs or RBs as slot receivers. Overall, given the injury situation and lack of depth, a 10-2 finish along with a bowl victory (11-2) would be excellent.
I think we can argue about the talent level. The way the situation played out, we were we in position to win all and I surmise that is the source of our dissappointment.

It’s as simple as scoring points and this offense does that. Sorry if you don’t like the way they score.

my math says the offense scores 28 pts per game 46 TDs divide by 10---- sorry but FG,PAT, Special teams TD, and defensive TDs do not count toward offensive production if we are truly talking about the offense scoring points-- PSU may score 38 pts per game but the offense does not

But its just more than scoring points it also controlling tempo and the game itself...so Yes we can not like the way they score points like for instance 18 -2nd half meaningless points in a meaningless game- against Ga St yet that pads your pts per game stat in case you forgot or the Akron game, maybe the Indiana game? how many of the 38 did the offense really score against OSU 24? not 38

maybe you get the jist-- off all the 46 TDs scored by the offense how many were on sustained drives of 60 plus yards lasting over 5 minutes? (answer below)You are leaving your defense out to dry by "scoring quickly" and that became quite evident when PSU actually plays a decent team with depth and athletes such as Iowa, OSU, MSU which PSU is 1-2. And PSU could easily be 3-0 if maybe just maybe they bothered to hold onto the ball a little longer. Where does your pts per game help you then? TOP matters here when it comes to winning games because the 38 pts was not enough against OSU

Only drive of scoring quickly mattered and that was against Iowa so it is good to have that capability, but it is also good to chew clock especially when up by two scores against the likes of OSU

Here is where your AVG pts per game matters apparently

qaw.jpg

PSU has had 5 scoring drives over 5 minutes and longer than 60 yds..not all TD's by the way. The offense itself scored a whopping 12 points on these drives

So of the 46 TDs scored by the offense only 2 are on a drive longer than 60 yds that consumed clock.

the only one of these drives put the pressure on the opposing team and that was the Michigan one to go up by an additional score

Rutgers 62 yds 5:00 TD to go ahead by 28
MSU 71 yds 5:08 FG Still trailing
OSU 64 yds 5:18 FG stay ahead by two scores ( after an OSU TD)
Mich 80 yds 5:24 TD go ahead by two scores
Iowa 66 yds 5:06 FG first score of game

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
You are correct. That is not the argument. 10-2 compared to few years ago is outstanding. 10-2 with our expectations is mediocre. Still good, mind you, but with our level talent, the fans were expecting more. Not an unfair assumption on the fans' part
I wonder how many programs would like to be 10-2 with a league championship and a Rose bowl appearance. But alas, this is Penn State and that is not good enough. I'm not sure what is good enough for you. A national championship every year? Well, gotta admit it. Your expectations are realistic. :rolleyes:

I wonder how many programs would like to be 10-2 with a league championship and a Rose bowl appearance. But alas, this is Penn State and that is not good enough. I'm not sure what is good enough for you. A national championship every year? Well, gotta admit it. Your expectations are realistic. :rolleyes:
What are your expectations? It's not like we're leading a lynch mob to get anyone fired. If you read these boards, fans were expecting something more. Is that so awful? Nothing wrong with wanting a competitive team year in and year out. Nothing wrong with expressing our opinions.

TMc, with our dominant WRs and TE is good enough that he would excel in any offense. Can only imagine the carnage he would leave in an I or pro set with SB back there, even with our OL!
Thank goodness, only three more games with Morehead (less run) offense. More Defensive players in the backfield before the RB actually gets the ball, great game plan. Plus, did you see SB get nailed three or four times!!! Yes, Trace made the correct read and kept it but SB got slammed multiple times during the game when it was faked to him. Just not a good thing over the long hall. Read option as we run it is ineffective. Hard truth for you Morehead worshipers!

(Disclaimer: Rutgers fan. I come in peace)

That's the problem with a "take what the defense gives them" type offense that relies heavily on QB options & RPOs.

Instead of dictating terms and imposing one's will, it's sort of a reactionary philosophy: 8 man box, read option & play-action off those looks; overhang players, bubble screen; 2 high safeties, run inside; gummed up A & B gaps, outside zone/sweep.

It's a "smart" philosophy, but when you have superior players, you can take the fight to the defense.

By way of example:
Rutgers was in a variety of 2 high looks all game. PSU responded to the 2 high shell by running the ball (ie: take what the defense is giving). However, the LBs were essentially selling out to stop Barkley.

If PSU had simply played the match-ups, PSU could have taken advantage of Rutgers' two converted WRs masquerading as DBs (5"9' Harris & 6"0' Bailey) and thrown bombs all over the place.

Eastern Michigan beat us by doing exactly that. You guys have far better skill players than EMU...

As a Philadelphia Eagles fan, we saw this same sort of thing where teams would simply man up and play single high and we had no solution because instead of calling plays to find a favorable match-up, Chip's paint-by-numbers playbook called for passes to Cooper, Matthews, & Huff.

Anyway, GG and if you get rid of Moorhead, please send him to Piscataway where we would love to see a hook & ladder once in a while.

TMc, with our dominant WRs and TE is good enough that he would excel in any offense. Can only imagine the carnage he would leave in an I or pro set with SB back there, even with our OL!
Really? Remember the O with Donovan and Hack? We have very short and defective memories. I'll take this offense, that at least with a mobile QB can be exciting and produce points. I would love to see balance or some semblance .....but really....any offense? Back in the day when PSU ran with impunity everyone bitched that they wanted more variety and excitement. Fans are never happy.......and that is a fact.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT