ADVERTISEMENT

We are a spoiled fan base…………

This is a terrible mindset. We are seventh all time and winds right in front of Tennessee and USC. Both of those programs have burn through several Head coaches since they’re glory years of Pete Carroll and Phil Fulmer, however they didn’t settle for mediocrity and neither should we. Did you not just watch Tennessee beat Alabama? Wouldn’t that be an awesome feeling more than once every six or seven years
I’m with you. But it was UT’s first win vs Bama in 15 years. Not exactly wonderful. 1-15 in the last 16. And Utah beat USC. We need some OL and DLine Depth. And a couple big time Wideouts.

There are things about CJF that drive me nuts and I certainly don’t believe he is beyond criticism. Having said that if he were to leave I fully believe there are a lot of us that would eventually regret it. This is a much more difficult place to win in todays college football than many realize or want to be realistic about. Lest people forget all the times Paterno’s teams were manhandled by Michigan. They were just better than us today and this season.
Is this a joke?
Paterno should have gone years before he did for starters and what happened yesterday isn't acceptable regardless of who is coaching the team
We could go 10-2 this year without a meaningful win. No fan base is "spoiled" for expecting better. We have yet to make the playoff which is completely unacceptable for our level of a program.

So you're only relevant if you play in national championship games or make the playoffs? Do the other 128 Division I college football teams, their players, their fans, their coaching staffs and alumni know? Maybe you should tell them they are irrelevant.
Yes, you're only relevant if you make the platoff and win titles
That's why FBS is a joke--most teams are irrelevant before they play their first game
The structure needs to change drastically--12 team playoff is a start but it needs to double including all conference winners--see every other college sport.

Reactions: blair10
Two top 10 recruiting classes in eight years doesn’t really qualify as “recruited top 10 talent”.

Watched #18 for USC starting at LB last night from Neumann-Goretti in Philly. 6 foot 8 200 lb soph transfer from Arizona State. 3 star without a PSU offer. Announcers were talking him up big time as "the next Ted Hendricks."

Cal Haladay from Flemings Central Columbia class is a LB at MSU and has great stats, albeit on a defense that has given up a lot of ground. We have a clear shortage at LB- some of which may be due to in state whiffs.

There also could be a reason why our Michigan recruits aren't at UM. Last year #4 King played a strong game until he got picked for the game deciding long catch/run by Alt. He was visibly upset after the loss- maybe taking it personally.

Sometimes you want something so badly that you lose perspective. Yesterday the Kings and Buddin got beaten soundly in what likely is their Super Bowl.

I sat about 20 rows behind our bench last year for the Michigan game. The grit of our team in that game was admirable. Clifford was getting beaten to hell on seemingly every play, but willed us to take the lead late. Sadly, yesterday none of that spirit or toughness was on display.

Watched #18 for USC starting at LB last night from Neumann-Goretti in Philly. 6 foot 8 200 lb soph transfer from Arizona State. 3 star without a PSU offer. Announcers were talking him up big time as "the next Ted Hendricks."
I'm sorry--who was announcing the game that they referred to him as the next Ted Hendricks who retired from the NFL in the early 80s....

Stopped reading here as this already seems fake

PSU has a top 10 fan base and a top 10 salaried coach who has recruited top 10 talent. I don't think we're spoiled because we expect to be a top 10 team.
A top 5 paid coach who can deliver a Top 25 season.

So you're only relevant if you play in national championship games or make the playoffs? Do the other 128 Division I college football teams, their players, their fans, their coaching staffs and alumni know? Maybe you should tell them they are irrelevant.
They are irrelevant. There - did it for you.

when did you start watching PSU football?

we are the king of going 10-2 without a meaningful win
I was born in 76 and grew up watching them so for as long as I can remember
And, I agree, we are the king of have a good record without beating anyone with a pulse.

ok. I've been watching them every season since 1991 and that has been the norm as far as I am concerned. and despite all of Franklin's issues the program is in better shape than it was for most of the 2000s
I wasn't happy with where we were then either but what's the goal for this program
When the playoff expands to 12 teams the SEC and Big Ten will be expected to have 3 teams yearly--under Franklin are we going to make the playoff at least 3 of 5 years while being competitive in those games. If not, it's time for a change.

ok. I've been watching them every season since 1991 and that has been the norm as far as I am concerned. and despite all of Franklin's issues the program is in better shape than it was for most of the 2000s
I am calling BS on that. We are not better than we were from 2005 to 2010. Not even close. Franklin hasn't had a team in the ball park of 05, 08 or 09 and most of his teams haven't been as good as 06, 07 or 10. Most significantly worse.

Reactions: KCLion
I mean in terms of thinking that someone else is going to come in here and bring things back to ‘82 and ‘86 levels. Franklin is a winning coach who recruits well and goes to bowls. He has his weaknesses but runs a clean program and works very hard to keep the program relevant.

almost everyone goes to a bowl. If you’re not going to bowls you’re a terrible team. We should be thankful we aren’t Rutgers?

JMO but this sums it up perfectly--we're not spoiled, we're just not where we should be in year 9. YEAR NINE

FThe offense was dreadful in the 41-17 loss to Michigan, the defense couldn't stop a nosebleed and the Nittany Lions were exposed as a pretender in the Big Ten East.

Reactions: psu00
There are things about CJF that drive me nuts and I certainly don’t believe he is beyond criticism. Having said that if he were to leave I fully believe there are a lot of us that would eventually regret it. This is a much more difficult place to win in todays college football than many realize or want to be realistic about. Lest people forget all the times Paterno’s teams were manhandled by Michigan. They were just better than us today and this season.
The team is soft, that's on the coach. They seem unprepared, that's on the coach.

You sell PennState the brand short. PennState is the only major player in the north east. Franklin is fortunate to be in such a great situation.

2005 and 2008 were great years, but the decade as a whole was junk. sandwiched in between those years was the morelli era. '09 was fine.
the 2010 team was terrible. not sure what you are remembering
do you think the program is currently worse than in '06-'07, for instance? those years were a waste. certainly it is in better shape than the early aughts
We are stuck with a garbage "head coach" for a decade. Pretty sure we're in worse shape now.

They are irrelevant. There - did it for you.
I strongly disagree. We've had that conversation on this board about bowl games. A few say why bother if we're not playing for a national championship. I think that's ridiculous.

I think PSU should average 9-10 wins per year and beat teams like OSU & UM at least 1/3 of the time. That doesn't seem like a high bar for a school with such a huge following.

we have never been able to beat them 1/3 of the time. ar the beginning of the B1G era we beat OSU about half of the time, then tressel took them to a different level. there was a long losing streak to michigan as well
Yep, psu has consistently under performed against them . Now Michigan we’re 10-16 against I think , but we are consistently behind those two.

2005 and 2008 were great years, but the decade as a whole was junk. sandwiched in between those years was the morelli era. '09 was fine.
do you think the program is currently worse than in '06-'07, for instance? those years were a waste. certainly it is in better shape than the early aughts
Early 2000s were horrible but....

11 wins 2005
9 wins 2006
9 wins 2007
11 wins 2008
11 wins 2009
7 wins 2010
8-1 in 2011 before Joe was fired

2 BiG titles during that span.

Reactions: john4psu
we have never been able to beat them 1/3 of the time. ar the beginning of the B1G era we beat OSU about half of the time, then tressel took them to a different level. there was a long losing streak to michigan as well
When the playoff expands to 12 beating Michigan half the time (or at least close to it) and Ohio State 20-25% of the time would be acceptable.

We are below the Morelli years right now. 14, 15, 20, and 21 (22 is trending there) are worse than 06 and 07. 2018 is on par with 2010. We are not close to the dark years just yet but if we don't snap out of where we are, it won't be long based on what has happened other other teams that use similar philosophies and don't get over the hump or right the ship (post-Fulmer Tennessee, post-Carroll USC, post-Meyer Florida to name a few).

and when Franklin responds to that by losing to not only OSU and Michigan, but also MSU and Iowa, then I will be on board that it is time for a new guy
Right--the expectation is to win the other games unless we play someone like USC when they join.

Paterno was 3-6 vs Tressel. The lifetime series was pretty much even until the slide over the past decade.

I think PSU is 7-6 vs Michigan since 2008.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
I expected 7 and 5 or 8 and 4. Thinking 8 and 4 looks pretty likely, with the Gophers injury situation, maybe we can pull the upset on Saturday. Yes, it would be an upset if Minny were at full strength.
At full strength, Minnesota would be a favorite and getting a last minute win at Purdue is promoted as a great win.

This pretty much sums up the state of Penn State football right now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mhep32
yes and only '05 and '08 were anything special. '09 because of the bowl win only

the rest were exactly what is being discussed in this thread

compiling 9 or 10 wins without any important wins
And most were calling for Joe to retire. Somehow Franklin is doing a great job with essentially the same record. During my 30 plus years as a fan, I cannot ever remember being less optimistic about the state of the program. Additionally, I don’t ever remember a one sided game like yesterday. Maybe once close to this bad against OSU.

yesterday wasn't that horrible until midway through the 3rd quarter when franklin inexplicably went for it on 4th down trailing by only 7 or 10. I can recall worse

the 2016 Michigan game was far worse
Lol. The first half was just as bad. The score don’t tell the story of dominance by UM. The game was far more lopsided then the final score indicates.

Reactions: psu00
Franklin can fix this by getting good adviser's when it comes to recruiting linemen, he is just not very good at it. He recently acknowledged they need more size on the defensive line. I remember Paterno stating the same thing after playing a year or two in the big ten. I don't know why Franklin thought having 260 pound DT would work.

I strongly disagree. We've had that conversation on this board about bowl games. A few say why bother if we're not playing for a national championship. I think that's ridiculous.

I think PSU should average 9-10 wins per year and beat teams like OSU & UM at least 1/3 of the time. That doesn't seem like a high bar for a school with such a huge following.
No, I think you agree…only the playoff teams are relevant…the bowls are dying.

and one of those wins came at the very beginning of tressel, as they were transitioning from the cooper years

the other two were in the only two years to write home about in Joe's final decade

yes, we have been on par with Michigan since Carr left

but the 9-game losing streak was on joe. they should have won at least three of those
They actually did win three of those. 99, 02 and 05. The officials thought otherwise however.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT